• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

silenttwn

How can you people insist on ranking these games. When you're past a certain level of quality shit just doesn't matter anymore and it's just self-inflicted mental torture.

How long you been around here? Must not be long.

2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

I've only made it to world 6 at this point but the two things i like better in the Galaxy games is the lack of a time limit and the control you have over Mario. A few times I have been exploring a level and then I have to blow through the last portion so I don't run out of time. I mostly loved 3D Land but I hate the controls compared to Galaxy in both of these games. 8 way directional plus the run button. Something feels off and imprecise about when the run kicks in.

That sounds like a lot of negativity but I am enjoying the game quite a bit. I know I have more game to play but neither of those things will change the more I play.

Smh...people all up in this thread saying 3D World is better than Galaxy, it's not even close. 3D World is great but Galaxy is practically the best Mario, I just hope the team moves away from this design now that their done with 3D World.

Crazy. The galaxy games are below this, 64, and Sunshine. Tough call for me to say which is the best. It's either this, or 64.

lmao it turns out I wasn't at the final boss after all

I thought World 7 (The Bowser castle area with the lava) was the final world of the game but once you beat him It takes you to that theme park world.

Clever Girl

A+

hoverX

I'm debating getting a wii u to play this. Can you play it without using that massive controller with the screen? For that matter, is that controller necessary for most games? It just seems awkward.

zroid

Banned
I'm debating getting a wii u to play this. Can you play it without using that massive controller with the screen? For that matter, is that controller necessary for most games? It just seems awkward.

There are a small handful of levels which require it. For the most part, you can use any number of other control schemes, although a Wii U Pro Controller (ie, the one which looks like a 360 pad) is the best.

Although the GamePad isn't really that awkward. It's lighter than it looks and it's very comfortable to hold.

The 3D Land/World style wishes it controlled as well as Galaxy did. Run button is 3D Mario poison (and I really did not care for the tiered 'sudden burst of speed' nonsense), and the game is far too limited in its movement capabilities while relying on mutually exclusive (and not necessarily permanent) powerups (and characters) to fill the glaring gaps (locking a proper frontal attack into powerups is a bad idea in a 3D Mario period). 3D World's a fun game, but I feel it sits in a nebulous gray area between 2D Mario and 3D Mario, trying to be both but ultimately not hitting the right notes of either. The Galaxy games I feel straddled the line better, implementing a kind of linearity without forgetting what 3D Mario is.

Need to replay that, was doing it with a friend so didn't get a chance to hear the music much.
Nothing can touch those trumphets. The music in this game reminds of scores from epic rpgs. Makes me shudder to think how beautiful X and Zelda will turn out......

You can play 98% with the Wii u pro controller.. And it's amazing. Read my impressions in another thread.

george_us

Just beat it...that final battle. *wipes away tear*

I've been hard on Nintendo these past couple of years but THIS game is a shining example that this company has no other equal when they're putting out titles of this quality. This, Pikmin 3, and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon are some of the best titles Nintendo have ever put out. I've got Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Two Worlds coming tomorrow and I can't wait to try it out.

Damn I really wish that game didn't have to end. :(

First
postgame world
was really creative.

The game is definitely at the top of my GOAT list with the Galaxy games. It's oozing with fun level design.

The controller isn't as heavy as it looks and is actually extremely comfortable imo. And if you happen to not like it, the Wiimote + Nunchuck works great as well.

The 3D Land/World style wishes it controlled as well as Galaxy did. Run button is 3D Mario poison (and I really did not care for the tiered 'sudden burst of speed' nonsense), and the game is far too limited in its movement capabilities while relying on mutually exclusive (and not necessarily permanent) powerups (and characters) to fill the glaring gaps (locking a proper frontal attack into powerups is a bad idea in a 3D Mario period). 3D World's a fun game, but I feel it sits in a nebulous gray area between 2D Mario and 3D Mario, trying to be both but ultimately not hitting the right notes of either. The Galaxy games I feel straddled the line better, implementing a kind of linearity without forgetting what 3D Mario is.

I completely disagree. I don't think an attack is necessary at all, even in 3D mario, and I'm not sure why it would be. I also love the way powerups are handled, considering that was the weakest part of Galaxy. Powerups there were less of something helpful and more of something built into the level design, a requirement to complete to progress. And most of them were timed. As opposed to the classic style of being a reward and letting you explore the level more in-depth. I can see people preferring both philosophies though.

Nintendo needs to return the long-jump to it's former glory though.

Can anyone tell me why the timer is in this game outside of it trying to emulate 2D Mario as close as possible? Other than the levels where time is intentionally cut short (which I have no real problem with, there's a time and a place for speedrun levels), I can honestly say it adds nothing to the game outside of needless pressure in a game you're encouraged to explore.

I completely disagree. I don't think an attack is necessary at all, even in 3D mario, and I'm not sure why it would be. I also love the way powerups are handled, considering that was the weakest part of Galaxy. Powerups there were less of something helpful and more of something built into the level design, a requirement to complete to progress. And most of them were timed. As opposed to the classic style of being a reward and letting you explore the level more in-depth. I can see people preferring both philosophies though.

Nintendo needs to return the long-jump to it's former glory though.
I don't even particularly care for Galaxy's powerups. In fact, I much prefer 3D Mario sans powerups period--I'd love to see a 3D Mario with no powerups at all, just Mario and his acrobatics against the world.

Concerning the frontal attack, it just hit me that I loved having the cat suit and tanooki suit because of it, and the only reason having their frontal attacks is desirable is because they arbitrarily decided to remove your ability to do a frontal attack. Not a fan.

Can anyone tell me why the timer is in this game outside of it trying to emulate 2D Mario as close as possible? Other than the levels where time is intentionally cut short (which I have no real problem with, there's a time and a place for speedrun levels), I can honestly say it adds nothing to the game outside of needless pressure in a game you're encouraged to explore.

I don't even particularly care for Galaxy's powerups. In fact, I much prefer 3D Mario sans powerups period--I'd love to see a 3D Mario with no powerups at all, just Mario and his acrobatics.

Concerning the frontal attack, it just hit me that I loved having the cat suit and tanooki suit because of it, and the only reason this ability is desirable is because they arbitrarily decided to remove your ability to do a frontal attack. Not a fan.

It's an testament to what you can get done in 300 or 400 seconds. There are many levels where it's difficult to get all 3 Star Coins and stamps in one setting. This will force you to re-evaluate levels and do more exploration for the Stars/Stamp you missed.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well, you're in luck about the "attack part" because [post-game spoilers]
the secret character can attack without a Power Up

It's an testament to what you can get done in 300 or 400 seconds. There are many levels where it's difficult to get all 3 Star Coins and stamps in one setting. This will force you to re-evaluate levels and do more exploration for the Stars/Stamp you missed.
See, I disagree--if they wanted to reward you for doing things quickly, then count time upwards and reward appropriately, don't punish players for taking the time to look for the things that are hidden in the level (some of them in absolutely devilishly well hidden locations).

Well, you're in luck about the "attack part" because [post-game spoilers]
the secret character can attack without a Power Up
Yeah, I know, I've completed the game.
That said, I have other problems with Rosalina coming from her losing her spin when she gets a powerup. She feels gimped in this sense when she gets a powerup compared to the other characters.

Watch Da Birdie

Honestly the only time the timer was an issue outside of the purposeful timed levels was playing Sprawling Savannah as Peach...

I literally grabbed the flag pole with 0 seconds. :0

I don't even particularly care for Galaxy's powerups. In fact, I much prefer 3D Mario sans powerups period--I'd love to see a 3D Mario with no powerups at all, just Mario and his acrobatics.

Concerning the frontal attack, it just hit me that I loved having the cat suit and tanooki suit because of it, and the only reason having their frontal attacks is desirable is because they arbitrarily decided to remove your ability to do a frontal attack. Not a fan.

I think that's part of why I like 64 so much, the caps are used sparingly. It worked very well for the game. I do personally love the power-up system from 2D games though, and am glad they are implementing it in 3D mario, so I guess that just comes down to preference.

As for the frontal attack, I feel like it's a well-executed power-up if you are disappointed when you don't have it / lose it. You should feel less powerful. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.

Darryl

Banned

Well it enables speed-runs for one thing. It also encourages you to go fast in general by offering point incentives for time.

See, I disagree--if they wanted to reward you for doing things quickly, then count time upwards and reward appropriately, don't punish players for taking the time to look for the things that are hidden in the level (some of them in absolutely devilishly well hidden locations).

I think that would ruin the level design for this type of Mario by you taking 2 hours to finish many of which are short levels. 3D World has some exploratory levels(mostly the ones around 400 seconds) but it's not an open world Mario. It's made for condensed, tight platforming, fun moments. The music follows that mood

Watch Da Birdie

Plus if you run out of time, you're sent to the checkpoint with full time I believe, so it's not that punishing...

I kind of wish the game didn't take away your Stamp when you die though, I get the Green Stars since they're more challenging, but at least let me keep the Stamp!

As for the frontal attack, I feel like it's a well-executed power-up if you are disappointed when you don't have it / lose it. You should feel less powerful. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.
My problem is that you feel less powerful not because they designed a more powerful suit (in this particular frontal attack sense) but because they made normal Mario weaker. I think the Cat Suit and Tanooki Suit have enough in the way of game breaking abilities to be powerful enough without having to arbitrarily gimp regular Mario.

I think that would ruin the level design for this type of Mario by you taking 2 hours to finish many of which are short levels. 3D World has some exploratory levels(mostly the ones around 400 seconds) but it's not an open world Mario. It's made for condensed, tight platforming, fun moments
I don't think the underlying level design is affected by a sort of generous timer at all--the short one off levels in the Galaxy games, for instance, I don't think would have been positively enhanced by a timer at all. I think giving the player more freedom in their playstyle is a net plus in any Mario, but seeing as I just flat out disagree with your assertion, I don't see us getting anywhere, so I guess I'll just drop it.

I don't think the underlying level design is affected by a sort of generous timer at all--the short one off levels in the Galaxy games, for instance, I don't think would have been positively enhanced by a timer at all. I think giving the player more freedom in their playstyle is a net plus in any Mario, but seeing as I just flat out disagree with your assertion, I don't see us getting anywhere, so I guess I'll just drop it.

Open world Mario versus Tight platforming, short level Mario is different Mario

The more I play this game, the more I miss the triple jump, the more I'm annoying at the nerfed athletics, and the more I dislike the run button and tiered running speeds. This is still a great, very fun game, but it can't compare to the Galaxy titles if only for the controls + moveset. I want so badly to #MARIOSWAG my way through these levels, but the character control is kind of boring to be honest. I find myself abusing the spinning jump and rolling long jump just to get that feeling back. And so many levels end with the "1-2-3" steps right before the flag pole like they're taunting me. THEY KNOW I AIN'T GOT NO TRIPLE JUMP, WHY DEY GOTTA DO THOSE STEPS LIKE THAT?

RogueJuice

Neo Member
So I got my copy today from Gamefly but after playing the first level with my husband the game kept giving me a disc read error. Got so frustrated we ended up just buying it right then and there digitally. I mean, we already were way into the game and were thinking about buying it, but after tasting the first level we just HAD to keep playing.

P.S. the music is glorious!

My enthusiasm for this game has skyrocketed. I love hearing everyone's thoughts and seeing these pics.

Why can't this ALWAYS be how Nintendo does it?

Nintendo, WHY can't this be you as Based Nintendo? WHY.

My problem is that you feel less powerful not because they designed a more powerful suit (in this particular frontal attack sense) but because they made normal Mario weaker. I think the Cat Suit and Tanooki Suit have enough in the way of game breaking abilities to be powerful enough without having to arbitrarily gimp regular Mario.

Oh yeah I see what you mean now. I personally find the cat attack more useful than 64's punch or Galaxies spin (only used that for jumps) but I can see that being a bummer if you used them a lot. I agree the suits have enough abilities to stand on their own without the attack so taking it away seems unnecessary. Maybe they thought always being able to attack would make the game too easy?

Just picked up a Wii U Windwaker bundle with Super Mario 3D World. This is my first Nintendo system since the N64 (Skipped Gamecube and Wii, but played many GC games at a friends place).

Man, I am blown away by the quality of SM3DW (Is this the acronym we're using?). This game is just a pleasure to play in every respect, from level design to control tightness, to graphics and art direction. I'm still early in the game but THIS is what I was waiting for from Nintendo.

My only gripe as a new Wii U owner is the gamepad - in Zelda it's a second screen which is useful, but during Mario it's just a mirror image of my TV screen and there's no way to turn off the gamepad display while playing the game. This is a) distracting as hell since I can see it out the corner of my eye even while watching my TV and b) a massive waste of battery life, since its displaying a screen I am never going to look at. So I picked up a Pro controller and love it - using this one for Mario and the gamepad for Zelda.

Recently completed (levels not 100%) and had a blast. Such inventiveness and clever level design. Gah but I just can't help having a strong desire to return to the openness of 64/Sunshine. I knew what I was getting into after playing 3D Land (which I also loved), but boy do I hope EAD revisits the N64/GC era 3D Mario again on Wii U.

zroid

Banned
My only gripe as a new Wii U owner is the gamepad - in Zelda it's a second screen which is useful, but during Mario it's just a mirror image of my TV screen and there's no way to turn off the gamepad display while playing the game. This is a) distracting as hell since I can see it out the corner of my eye even while watching my TV and b) a massive waste of battery life, since its displaying a screen I am never going to look at. So I picked up a Pro controller and love it - using this one for Mario and the gamepad for Zelda.

pro tip: turn the screen brightness down to its lowest setting. It's WAY less distracting, and naturally it conserves battery life too.

The more I play this game, the more I miss the triple jump, the more I'm annoying at the nerfed athletics, and the more I dislike the run button and tiered running speeds. This is still a great, very fun game, but the it can't compare to the Galaxy titles if only for the controls + moveset. I want so badly to #MARIOSWAG my way through these levels, but the character control is kind of boring to be honest. I find myself abusing the spinning jump and rolling long jump just to get that feeling back. And so many levels end with the "1-2-3" steps right before the flag pole like they're taunting me. THEY KNOW I AIN'T GOT NO TRIPLE JUMP, WHY DEY GOTTA DO THOSE STEPS LIKE THAT?

One of my favorite things about Mario 64 is the varied move set and how it allows for all kinds of shenanigans. Just fucking around in the levels was so fun,

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
pro tip: turn the screen brightness down to its lowest setting. It's WAY less distracting, and naturally it conserves battery life too.

Yes but imagine how much longer it could last if the screen could be turned completely off.

Just picked up a Wii U Windwaker bundle with Super Mario 3D World. This is my first Nintendo system since the N64 (Skipped Gamecube and Wii, but played many GC games at a friends place).

Man, I am blown away by the quality of SM3DW (Is this the acronym we're using?). This game is just a pleasure to play in every respect, from level design to control tightness, to graphics and art direction. I'm still early in the game but THIS is what I was waiting for from Nintendo.

I have no idea why we cant just hit the power button(or something else) to turn off the screen. Maybe in a future OS update.

I prefer wiimote/nunchuck setup, as its easier to do the long jump. I do like being able to plug in headphones, and just put the gamepad next to me. For now, i just turn down the backlight, and put power save mode on.

Top Bottom