• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

spliced

Champions Road is just insane. I kept searching over and over for hidden ? blocks but sadly couldn't find any. The beep block part is so brutal it reminds me of those Mario hacks with toturous difficulty. I think this is the hardest level ever in a 3D Mario game, I've died over 300 times and still haven't beat it, I got up to the boost pads part 1 time that's it.

Then there's Mystery House Marathon UGH! I find these ridiculous difficulty spikes at the end of games a downer. I liked the other bonus world difficulties a lot more. I hate to say it but when you crank that difficulty I start getting more annoyed and things like taking away moves like the triple jump and not having a proper adjustable camera so I can see in 3 dimensions better come to the forefront. What was nice about that stuff is it gave options, the lesser options in this game is not a good thing.

@Dax: Forgot to ask in my previous comment, what makes Galaxy 1's pacing better than 2? I may go back to both games and try to finish them when dolphin decides to work well on my PC (I own both games).
It was most notable in the shorter time you soared through the air launching from star-catapults, but in SMG2 I felt like I was being pushed from one stage to the next as quickly as possible, whereas in SMG I could take my time. It could also be that SMG2 downplayed a lot wonder and exploration that was in SMG – seeing where star-catapults would take you without having taking them beforehand, for example. There's no time to look around a wonder, so you're just moving ahead.

There are a lot of people that say the level design in SMG2 is better than SMG1's. I could never tell.

It was most notable in the shorter time you soared through the air launching from star-catapults, but in SMG2 I felt like I was being pushed from one stage to the next as quickly as possible, whereas in SMG I could take my time. It could also be that SMG2 downplayed a lot wonder and exploration that was in SMG – seeing where star-catapults would take you without having taking them beforehand, for example. There's no time to look around a wonder, so you're just moving ahead.

There are a lot of people that say the level design in SMG2 is better than SMG1's. I could never tell.
I think old school Mario fans like SMG2's level design more. It feels a lot more like a Mario game, for lack of better explanation. Levels are more clearly segmented, and oftentimes a lot more straightforward -- even if both games were fairly linear.

(I like Galaxy 1's more, tbh)

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah I loved the exploration/adventure atmosphere in SMG1 more too. It may have felt less like a traditional Mario (though more like World and 64, but whatever), but for me it made good on the inherent, dormant promise of Mario; that of the Disney classic of gaming.

i replayed galaxy 1 and 2 recently and feel exactly the same way you do.
The speed and length at which you soared through the sky in the first game was far better.
Good egg galaxy alone has a far better sense of wonder and adventure than the whole of galaxy 2 put together. There was a section in that level in which you could soar around most of the stage landing briefly on planets and then soaring off again in one giant loop, it was absolutely amazing. And all the while you could see so many different planets all around you.Once you completed the loop, which involved around 5 planets and various soaring paths to take, you could land and see all the sky trails lined up. There was nothing like that in the whole of galaxy 2.

one_kill

Champions Road is just insane. I kept searching over and over for hidden ? blocks but sadly couldn't find any. The beep block part is so brutal it reminds me of those Mario hacks with toturous difficulty. I think this is the hardest level ever in a 3D Mario game, I've died over 300 times and still haven't beat it, I got up to the boost pads part 1 time that's it.
The Perfect Run is harder IMO. With the level you're talking about, obtain the tanooki and cat power ups since they'll make it easier for you to beat. There's a GameExplain video showing you how to do it, especially the beep block part.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The Perfect Run is harder IMO. With the level you're talking about, obtain the tanooki and cat power ups since they'll make it easier for you to beat. There's a GameExplain video showing you how to do it, especially the beep block part.
Of course it's easier when you cheat using power-ups lol

The speed and length at which you soared through the sky in the first game was far better.
Good egg galaxy alone has a far better sense of wonder and adventure than the whole of galaxy 2 put together. There was a section in that level in which you could soar around most of the stage landing briefly on planets and then soaring off again in one giant loop, it was absolutely amazing. And all the while you could see so many different planets all around you.Once you completed the loop, which involved around 5 planets and various soaring paths to take, you could land and see all the sky trails lined up. There was nothing like that in the whole of galaxy 2.
That's one of the reasons why Good Egg Galaxy remains one of my favorite galaxies to this day. :)

Penguin

Oh man, beat the game.

Cool boss battle.
Different for the series.

And had the hugest smile on my face during the credits, and oddly enough wish more people worked on it so it could be longer.

And then

The Link and Zelda chime in the first secret world! :O

My boyfriend and I were playing yesterday for the first time. We were having a good old time. He plays always plays as Toad, it's by far his favourite Mario character, but he didn't really know much about the game prior to release.

At one point, I took a break to go hang washing up, but said he could keep playing. Just as he was asking me what other new power-ups where in the game besides the cat-suit, I realised he'd entered into the first Double Cherry level, so I just told him to keep playing. He had no idea what was coming.

He picked it up and screamed when he realised what it did. Then, again, when he found you could have three, and then four. By the end of the level, he was dancing around like a goof singing a Toad song and gleefully laughing each time he jumped or shot a fire ball. He then immediately played through the level again. And had almost the exact same reaction.

That, to me, is the joy Nintendo can bring.

My boyfriend and I were playing yesterday for the first time. We were having a good old time. He plays always plays as Toad, it's by far his favourite Mario character, but he didn't really know much about the game prior to release.

At one point, I took a break to go hang washing up, but said he could keep playing. Just as he was asking me what other new power-ups where in the game besides the cat-suit, I realised he'd entered into the first Double Cherry level, so I just told him to keep playing. He had no idea what was coming.

He picked it up and screamed when he realised what it did. Then, again, when he found you could have three, and then four. By the end of the level, he was dancing around like a goof singing a Toad song and gleefully laughing each time he jumped or shot a fire ball. He then immediately played through the level again. And had almost the exact same reaction.

I think the thing Nintendo brings to the table better than anyone else is the joy of surprise. Even in their 20 to 30 year old franchises, they always manage to surprise players. It's why I try to avoid watching more than one or two trailers/footage of games I know I will get.

Kouriozan

Oh wow, just reading about it brings tears to my eyes, because it is so true.
Awesome story, can't wait to get it Friday.

PogiJones

Banned

Galaxy hit my exploration buttons like no other game, including Galaxy 2. I absolutely would have given Galaxy a 10/10 at the time. Now, since games have progressed, I can see areas where it clearly could have improved, mostly revealed by Nintendo's own refinements in Galaxy 2 and 3D World, the latter of which is now a superior game, removing context. But no game has ever wowed me like that first game did back in 2007.

How does this game rank with the Galaxy series? I haven't played the latter, and if they are better than 3d World I'll rather play this game next year, since I'm also playing NSMBU right now.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
SMG can't touch this game.

I loved SMG. Then I 100%ed it, thought about picking it up again to replay a handful of favorite levels, and quickly realized how much of a chore that is. Long opening, cumbersome hub world. The sort of game you have to really set aside time to dig into and I'm just not keen on games that don't make efficient use of my time. It's sat on the shelf since the week I finished it, likely to never be played again.

I've already gotten more playtime out of 3D World after finishing it. For all that some people emphasize Galaxy's "sense of wonder" or disparage 3DW/3DL's "floating blocks in space," the latter is by far where Mario shines best: function over aesthetics, always. When the E3 reveal trailer disappointed everyone else on this forum, I was sitting in my chair thinking to myself "Yeah, I asked for this."

I'll take convenient overworld maps over cumbersome hub worlds and rapid-fire gameplay over cinematics that are only impressive on the first view, any day of the week.

I need to get around to playing SMG2 some day, as I've heard that it fixed most of my pacing issues with its predecessor.

Yes Boss!

I loved SMG. Then I 100%ed it, thought about picking it up again to replay a handful of favorite levels, and quickly realized how much of a chore that is. Long opening, cumbersome hub world. The sort of game you have to really set aside time to dig into and I'm just not keen on games that don't make efficient use of my time. It's sat on the shelf since the week I finished it, likely to never be played again.

I've already gotten more playtime out of 3D World after finishing it. For all that some people emphasize Galaxy's "sense of wonder" or disparage 3DW/3DL's "floating blocks in space," the latter is by far where Mario shines best: function over aesthetics, always.

I'll take convenient overworld maps over cumbersome hub worlds and rapid-fire gameplay over cinematics that are only impressive on the first view, any day of the week.

I need to get around to playing SMG2 some day, as I've heard that it fixed most of my pacing issues with its predecessor.

I'm actually one of those who prefer the first SMG to the second. I'm still undecided but I'm almost 100-percent convinced that this is the better game than either.

Zolbrod

My gut feeling tells me SMG is better, but I should probably go back and check to see if it holds up.

What's nice about 3D World is that there is literally NO BS whatsoever.
You start the game, watch a short opening cutscene, and then you start playing and you're NEVER interrupted again.

No "shouldn't you be taking a rest?" (it seems they've wisely done away with that in their recent games), just a simple and compact world map with a bunch of short but good stages on it.

If there's one teensy tiny thing I'd complain about, it's that a message pops up to tell you the game was saved EVERY SINGLE TIME that the game saves, which, since it auto-saves, is after every single thing you do.

Uhh, when Amazon Prime says delivered by Nov 27th do they mean during the day 27th?

I got 2 hrs before I have to decide whether to go to Gamestop or just order from Amazon.

Yeah, what I really liked about this game was that the "story" is tissue-thin. Less than one percent of the game has to do with cutscenes — it was really liberating.

Caladrius

How does this game rank with the Galaxy series? I haven't played the latter, and if they are better than 3d World I'll rather play this game next year, since I'm also playing NSMBU right now.

They're both very good in very different ways.The Galaxies play around a lot with control schemes and platforming physics and feature more elaborate level design. The games have superb presentation that make them feel like Mario's first legitimate AAA titles. There's a sense of Grandeur to it and it's an experience just as much as it is a game.

SM3DW has a more modest (but even more vibrant) presentation but throws even more things at you than galaxy does. While it's missing the grand scale and complexity, the breezy, streamlined platforming and multiplayer give it a beautiful simplicity even as it chucks everything and the kitchen sink at you.

I honestly think both are wonderful games, but which you prefer is going to largely be a matter of taste in design philosophy and aesthetics.

I've already gotten more playtime out of 3D World after finishing it. For all that some people emphasize Galaxy's "sense of wonder" or disparage 3DW/3DL's "floating blocks in space," the latter is by far where Mario shines best: function over aesthetics, always. When the E3 reveal trailer disappointed everyone else on this forum, I was sitting in my chair thinking to myself "Yeah, I asked for this."

I think you're exaggerating the amount of effort it takes to dive into SMG if only a little. Though I do agree that 3D World's...er, World maps are more efficient and functional than SMG's hubworld.

Andrew.

Banned
Does anyone else always equip themselves with a specific power up along with always carrying the same backup item?

Im always doing the cat suit with an extra leaf in tow. At all times.

Kinda like the same way I always played SMW, except it was a cape at all times with a backup feather.

ohlawd

I always try to have a cat suit as my backup and I only bust it out if getting the golden flag looks like a pita to get.

Primary? Doesn't matter. I go raw most of the time.

I love how solid and "full" everything looks in here. It's something you rarely see in action. Not just texture detail or poly counts, but it just looks as if everything has some weight to it. Like the Goombas are actually solid creatures that have substance beneath their skin.

Top Bottom