• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Heh getting to the next level bugged me like hell in SMG2. The ship as a (poor) hub, jump to pad, pick galaxy, pick star. Then if you get some side quest star you get kicked out of the level and you have to do the level select again as well as repeat whatever else in the level you already did.

I thought I was able to pick a level within 10 seconds. Long jumping to the button, picking the world and then level can't take longer than 10 can it? Much faster than Galaxy 1.

I agree the hub wasn't all that great but I liked seeing how far I could long-jump around the planet, which was more than I could say for the Comet Observatory.

Eusis

LOL you and Jeff think exactly the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hAg8Yo4yis
Well, I did enjoy the NSMB games, even 2, but I sorta petered out on Wii for awhile before actually finishing it, and the same thing happened for Wii U. The 3D games seem to better carry on the spirit of the earlier 2D games, either making significant alterations or outright upheavals between games. The 3D branded games seem a bit more subdued there, but still ahead of what NSMB's done easily.

vall03

Finally got a WiiU and the game. Only finished 1-1 and still trying to get used to the controls. Currently waiting for the update to finish and tinkering with some of the WiiU features.

PS: Fuck glossy consoles! Its a fingerprint and dust magnet ffs! If not for the price point of the bundles, I would have gotten myself a white 8GB unit.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyone got a list of all the levels that have Double Cherries in them?

So, how do I switch characters in game? I need to be Peach for a certain level. :<
Press B on the Gamepad when the stage starts. Not sure what the button is on other controllers.

I love the run button...I just wish Mario could actually run. The game speed is still too slow. :

Want to go fast?

"Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo", ect..

Okay, its not the best substitute. :D

Really, though, the lack of speed in this game is probably hindered to make multiplayer less hectic. While its still a fun single player game, theres no denying this game was also designed around multiplayer.

Nose Master

The second star in
flower
-1 is so ungodly frustrating. Combined with being too stubborn to "save" the first star in that course made it even worse.

My random gripe is the levels where you need items that aren't spawned in that specific level to get stars. So you have to go farm those items and save them until that specific point. Completely unnecessary. There's only a few like this, but ugh.

Also everyone but Toad is slower than molasses.

Exile20

There are no PS4 or X1 in the top ten but Mario still in there on amazon.com. I do not think it has left top ten since launch. I really hope it does well.
EmU9yBM.png

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyone got a list of all the levels that have Double Cherries in them?
Answering my own question, but I'd appreciate it if someone could help make this list more comprehensive if I missed anything:

2-5: Double Cherry Pass
4-3: Beep Block Skyway
5-3: Backstreet Bustle
5-6: Cakewalk Flip
6-C: Motley Bossblob's Big Battle
Bowser-A: Motley Bossblob's Encore
Star-3: Rolling Ride Run
Star-6: Honeycomb Starway
Flower-10: Honeycomb Skyway
Flower-12: Boss Blitz

Also, are you limited to 5 total copies of one character (including the original)? Sometimes blocks that normally contain cherries aren't spawning them for me and I'm wondering if it's because I've hit a limit.

So up to World 6 and this Ghost Mii thing just seems to refuse to work properly. I still have never seen another Mii in any levels. I only get ghost data of my own Mii...if I'm lucky. I don't understand what the problem is :/

I read an interview with the composer who said they were incorporating Mario bros 2 music in the game but I didn't notice any. Does anyone know what tracks and where they are?

PrimeX

I have no idea why we cant just hit the power button(or something else) to turn off the screen. Maybe in a future OS update.

I prefer wiimote/nunchuck setup, as its easier to do the long jump. I do like being able to plug in headphones, and just put the gamepad next to me. For now, i just turn down the backlight, and put power save mode on.

Hey, you can do just that, turn off the GamePad screen, take controll with the pro or wiimote and put the GamePad away.
Just hit the home button and go into GamePad settings. Ofcourse one thing you still can't do: turn off the GamePad screen and still play with it.

And I think this is a clever move, if you only have the GamePad and by mistake you turn it off, chances are you will not be able to turn it on ever again. (Never tried this, is just a thought)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Compare Mario's moveset in 64:

-Punch, punch, kick (b+b+b)
-Jump kick (a, hold back, b). Helped with precise jumps, or starting a triple jump quickly.
-Crouching kick (z+b)
-Diving kick (run+z+b)
-Dive (run+b)
-super precise wall jump that makes you go super far and gives you a ton of control in the air. btw you can wall jump out of a long jump or triple jump, which feels amazing.
-awesome, high side jump
-awesome, high back flip
-awesome, LONG long jump that carries your momentum like a god
-triple jump.

to 3D World:

-the b button makes you fucking run
-weird rolling long jump that is awkward to input and barely gets you anywhere
-regular long jump that goes nowhere and sucks shit, carries no momentum
-wall jump that gives you ZERO air control, useless
-wonky ass back flip. totally useless.
-useless spin jump. very little air control compared to the great spin jump in Sunshine.
-mediocre side jump, much less control than in 64
-no triple jump

It's sad how many steps back they've taken since 64. Mario was a god damn ninja in that game.

Yeah, I agree with this. And your other post about some of the really small minor stuff adding up to become annoying, but I felt that in galaxy 2 as well. Every fucking green star letting you know WARNING COMET DETECTED.

There seems to be a few contextual moves I have done by accident, like jumping right after a buttstomp gives you a springy jump and things of that nature. But I do miss a lot of the more sandboxy moves, and especially the dive. The dive would be amazing in this game as I can already picture starting a stage, diving and being at max run speed as you roll out. The cat suit scratches an itch in me during certain levels to skip past stuff and climb around to take a faster route which more moves amplify, so I'm not sure why they kept messing with that stuff.

I don't get the backflip at all lately. Charge it up, doesn't go very high, and is super dumb looking.

That said, it ultimately doesn't change too much for me. Just beat the final boss(which was hilarious) and am on the post game stuff. It's just fuckin' fun, and I liked it a lot more than 3d land which didn't grab me all that much.

Roo

Question with spoilers(?)
Does the Luma from Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii stick around Rosalina the whole time or she's all alone?

beril

The moveset (or useless-ness of the moveset) is another pet peeve I've been having. Galaxy kinda had this problem too, but it's even worse in 3D Land/World.

-Jump kick (a, hold back, b). Helped with precise jumps, or starting a triple jump quickly.
-Crouching kick (z+b)
-Diving kick (run+z+b)
-Dive (run+b)
-super precise wall jump that makes you go super far and gives you a ton of control in the air. btw you can wall jump out of a long jump or triple jump, which feels amazing.
-awesome, high side jump
-awesome, high back flip
-triple jump.

to 3D World:

-useless spin jump. very little air control compared to the great spin jump in Sunshine.
-no triple jump

It's sad how many steps back they've taken since 64. Mario was a god damn ninja in that game.

Again, not hating on the game. The controls aren't bad by any means, but I've found little reason to use anything but running and jumping, and maybe the odd long jump just for shits and giggles. Versus SM64 where I was long jumping, triple jumping and diving all over the god damn place. So fun ^_^

I still haven't played 3D World so I'm basing this on 3D Land, but streamlining the moveset was one of the best things about the game.

Mario is supposed to jump on enemies, that's pretty much his thing, so after finally perfecting the jump controls, removing the punches, kicks and spinattacks is pretty much a no brainer; they didn't really belong in the first place.

Triple jump works in Mario 64's open empty environments but with more precise platforming I prefer to have a more fixed jump, and I wish they'd remove it from NSMB. Similarly the 64 long jump is just too damn long for more compact levels.

The backflips are pretty cool but also kindof weird. It's pretty odd that they're so much higher than a normal jump, though I don't really understand why they kept the nerfed version at all.

codhand

EXACTLY. It's like they had a meeting one day and were like "ok, we need to fuse 3D and 2D Mario together somehow cause 2D outsells 3D like 3 to 1. Lets bring back the linear level design, flagpoles... and high scores! gotta bring those high scores back."

Don't even get me started on Zelda, lol. Luckily they seem to have FINALLY learned their lesson with Link Between Worlds.

The moveset (or useless-ness of the moveset) is another pet peeve I've been having. Galaxy kinda had this problem too, but it's even worse in 3D Land/World.

-Crouching kick (z+b)
-Diving kick (run+z+b)
-Dive (run+b)
-awesome, high side jump
-awesome, high back flip
-triple jump.

to 3D World:

-no triple jump

Oh yeah, I can see it being kinda fun in multiplayer, I guess.

I will never play 3D World multiplayer :|

This shit again?

3D world multiplayer is amazing.

Gartooth

Started playing last night and got through the first 2 worlds. Love the art, aesthetics, charm, content, level design, character abilities, and powerups.

My biggest complaints are the difficulty being too easy which hopefully improves, and just in general there isn't much platforming which is bumming me out.

Andrew.

Banned
Started playing last night and got through the first 2 worlds. Love the art, aesthetics, charm, content, level design, character abilities, and powerups.

My biggest complaints are the difficulty being too easy which hopefully improves, and just in general there isn't much platforming which is bumming me out.

Havent had your double cherry popped with Chain Link Charge I see...

Peru

People complaining about 'b to run' are ridiculous. Not true Mario fans, not people who know how to play platformers. A run button gives precision, control, finesse.

Complaining that jumps aren't long enough? That and triple jump has been adjusted because the platforming calls for it and it would be too easy. Again, casuals look bad ranting about platforming mechanics.

So my 4 year old son is getting this game for Christmas.. I want to play it soooo badly..But it's one of those titles i have to wait to play..

Oh man :(

Sioen

Alright friday plans.
Wake up at 5:45 AM, drive to a city to get my ps4. (didn't preorder)
Wait for 3 hours in the cold to get my ps4, get home and start playing Super mario 3d world. :)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
People complaining about 'b to run' are ridiculous. Not true Mario fans, not people who know how to play platformers. A run button gives precision, control, finesse.

Complaining that jumps aren't long enough? That and triple jump has been adjusted because the platforming calls for it and it would be too easy. Again, casuals look bad ranting about platforming mechanics.

Correct. Running allows you to move faster, jump farther. Not running of course has inverse effects and sometimes not jumping as far or moving as quickly is helpful.

And I've never really noticed the lack of a triple jump since it really isn't required.

roknin

What's nice about 3D World is that there is literally NO BS whatsoever.
You start the game, watch a short opening cutscene, and then you start playing and you're NEVER interrupted again.

I agree there.

I also like the more compact levels, personally. It gives me the feeling SMB3 gave me that made it so memorable. Some bite-sized levels in that game but because of that (and that there were so many!), it never felt like a small game or that any levels were too short, and I can revisit it a ton. And the game does not try to get in your way, Green Star requirements aside (which generally weren't that huge).

I can pop in, play a few levels, then drop out.

Ironically enough, that's also what makes it so damn addictive, that "one more won't hurt right?" gameplay.

Will have to see if that lasts for years to come, but I have a feeling it will.

Gartooth

Great platformers can be made without a run button, you just need to build the game around that decision. The Galaxy series presented great challenge and control without one because the game was designed that way. Remove the run button from 3D World, and the game would end up a mess.

Andrew.

Banned
3D World is like the bizarro alt universe sequel to SMB 3, the first and penultimate Mario title that practically begged you to hold down run the entire time throughout each short bursted level. It's no surprise to me that one of 3D Worlds basic blueprints is the same exact thing.

And I dunno how you guys are holding down B to run. Im using Y and it's much, much easier. Feels just like SMW in this regard.

Skilletor

Why would you hold B to run.

I literally never even considered it. Y is run, B is jump.

Run button >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> No run button.

Chatin

Enjoying the game, but the perspective has me wishing there was 3D support. I'm having a bit too much trouble judging my depth at times.

Friends are coming over on Friday evening for a Mario Marathon. Gonna start and finish multiplayer in 1 massive sitting.

Friends, booze, buffalo wings and Mario 3D world. It's gonna be good.

zroid

Banned
Enjoying the game, but the perspective has me wishing there was 3D support. I'm having a bit too much trouble judging my depth at times.

You get used to it, I think. I had some difficulty at first, but after a while your eyes/brain adjust to the visual cues to judge depth.

Davey Cakes

To be honest I like the run button. I actually don't constantly use it (for certain platforming sections it's not necessary) but when I do I love the satisfying feeling of momentum.

I also enjoy that the character controls/abilities are balanced. No need for a triple jump or spin jump when there are powerups that provide similar abilities. I mean, back in the days of Mario 64 you didn't have the same variety so something like a triple jump made sense, but now you have other resources to use.

Another thing I like about Mario games in general, 3D World included, is the lack of a "double jump." Sometimes being limited to a single jump makes platforming more satisfrying. If I had to pick I'd rather have the long jump, honestly.

Andrew.

Banned
Red-Hot Run pummelled me pretty good last night, but I managed to snag everything. That center pit right after the green coin star is actually not a fatal drop. There's a pipe down there with an invincibility star and 3 extra lives.

Fuck off with this shit. I think I've been pretty polite and have never accused anyone who disagreed with me of not being true fans or being casual platformer fans.

Top Bottom