• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

wat

BZ_jPWQCYAAqmM8.jpg:orig
Looks like somebody needs to pee pee

The little spin jump is interesting if not highly contextual since you need some room to pull it off. Jumping off a ground pound is fun and really speeds things up.

I have noticed I'm using the long jump a lot less than almost any other modern mario game. Wonder why that is.

Later today, because I'm away from the game (and because I have no life), I'm going to make a list of my favorite levels from each of the Worlds I've completed. When this is done, feel free to send me hate messages via PMs for not including your favorite level.

In the meantime, read this fantastic article from Edge.

I still haven't played 3D World so I'm basing this on 3D Land, but streamlining the moveset was one of the best things about the game.

Mario is supposed to jump on enemies, that's pretty much his thing, so after finally perfecting the jump controls, removing the punches, kicks and spinattacks is pretty much a no brainer; they didn't really belong in the first place.

Triple jump works in Mario 64's open empty environments but with more precise platforming I prefer to have a more fixed jump, and I wish they'd remove it from NSMB. Similarly the 64 long jump is just too damn long for more compact levels.

The backflips are pretty cool but also kindof weird. It's pretty odd that they're so much higher than a normal jump, though I don't really understand why they kept the nerfed version at all.

Mario is not supposed to do anything. There isn't a bible on what his movesets should be. Rather, it just needs to be fun. I agree with the others that Mario 64 was just more fun to play, meaning fuck around and hop through the world as you wished. It was an open book in many regards. I certainly prefer the super athletic Mario from 64 over any of the versions after.

And on the run button, it needs to go. Give Mario back is tiptoe-to-run degrees of movement.

Skilletor

Mario is not supposed to do anything. There isn't a bible on what his movesets should be. Rather, it just needs to be fun. I agree with the others that Mario 64 was just more fun to play, meaning fuck around and hop through the world as you wished. It was an open book in many regards. I certainly prefer the super athletic Mario from 64 over any of the versions after.

And on the run button, it needs to go. Give Mario back is tiptoe-to-run degrees of movement.

I don't need any of that in Mario. I want to run and jump. I don't want to punch and do flying kicks.

And I much prefer the run button because it's far more precise. Hell, i'd even prefer it if there was a walk button and run was the default speed. I feel like analog controls are nowhere near as precise, especially with the type of jumps and movements you have to make in these games.

But then, that's why I hate 3D mario games (and most 3D platformers, really), they feel sloppy for me.

I noticed how this is the closet to "old-school" Mario yet, so there's that divide between people who really like the 3D Marios who aren't as gung-ho on this one(evilromero, green mamba), and the ones who don't like the 3D Marios but like this one(Skilletor, 645, Tain, Riposte probably has a similarly love of old-school japanese action platformers, etc).

Its truly a 3D Mario for people who don't like 3D Mario. Mission accomplished, Nintendo!

Andrew.

Banned
I noticed how this is the closet to "old-school" Mario yet, so there's that divide between people who really like the 3D Marios who aren't as gung-ho on this one(evilromero, green mamba), and the ones who don't like the 3D Marios but like this one(Skilletor, 645, Tain, Riposte probably has a similarly love of old-school japanese action platformers, etc).

Its truly a 3D Mario for people who don't like 3D Mario. Mission accomplished, Nintendo!

Exactly this. Always been a 2D Mario guy. Ive never been able to get into the 3D's until this one.

Skilletor

I'd guess this is an accurate assessment. Definitely is for me.

this would be ideal for me too. although I think it might be really hard to adapt to after decades of brainwashing.

lol, I'd die so many times trying to rev up for a jump.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Edge just posted a new editorial about the game:

Super Mario 3D World: an obsession reborn after a decade away
Source: http://m.edge-online.com/features/super-mario-3d-world-an-obsession-reborn-after-a-decade-away/
Since my night with 3D World I haven't played anything else. Haven't thought about anything else or considered any other purchases. And that's with two console launches either side of my experience. You know what that sounds like? Obsession. You know what it means? I'm in love again, for the first time in a decade.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

It's true. Coming into this, I was dead-set on making a post-play write-up about how NSMBU is the real Wii U Mario game with platforming substance and that 3D Mario is just that shiny distraction to wow scrubs who don't know any better, but this game shut me up real quick before I could even open my mouth.

I was wondering why I felt nothing playing NSMBU. I thought maybe Mario was finally wearing off on me after all these years playing so many games, but this game rekindled my love.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really jealous of everyone playing this game.
Hurry up EU release!

Skilletor

This is without a doubt my GotY. I'm only up to world 4 and haven't even dug in to getting all the green stars and I know this. The only thing that could top it is the new Zelda.

Nothing else comes close.

People complaining about 'b to run' are ridiculous. Not true Mario fans, not people who know how to play platformers. A run button gives precision, control, finesse.

Complaining that jumps aren't long enough? That and triple jump has been adjusted because the platforming calls for it and it would be too easy. Again, casuals look bad ranting about platforming mechanics.

I have to disagree with you completely. I was raised with Mario on the NES and it's probably one of my favorite franchises. My only complaint is that Galaxy controlled much better and this feels like a downgrade to me in terms of precise control. Especially with 8 way directional movement and the way the run button is incorporated. I've never had a complaint about control until this game and 3D Land before it.

Sixfortyfive

I can count at least a dozen times I've made a mental note to myself where I thought "If this game really had 8-way movement, I wouldn't have fallen off that ledge." How does that rumor persist?

Anyway, after all is said and done, uh, does anybody know what the plot to this game is? Yeah, I know, I love the absolute minimalist presentation too, but I'm curious. I figure that this game would follow the old-school practice of just putting the plot in the manual, but this game doesn't really have one of those, and the digital manual turns up nothing. Even the official website isn't of help. I'm genuinely stumped. Bowser kidnaps seven pixies to build a theme park? I don't even

Berordn

I can count at least a dozen times I've made a mental note to myself where I thought "If this game really had 8-way movement, I wouldn't have fallen off that ledge." How does that rumor persist?

Bowser invades the Sprixie Kingdom, traps them and leaves them with his lieutenants so he can harness their power or something and take over and build Bowser Land, his Koopa utopia.

At least that's the best I could manage based on the cutscene from the beginning.

People complaining about 'b to run' are ridiculous. Not true Mario fans, not people who know how to play platformers. A run button gives precision, control, finesse.

Complaining that jumps aren't long enough? That and triple jump has been adjusted because the platforming calls for it and it would be too easy. Again, casuals look bad ranting about platforming mechanics.

Please tell me you just have a dark sense of humor and are trolling. Because if not, I just don't know how to respond to such an asinine comment.

Gsnap

I don't have any problem with the run button or with the new controls/moveset. The levels themselves are fun and well designed, making them fun to navigate with our without the larger movesets. With more open and less tightly designed levels (64/Sunshine) you do need those extra moves to give you something more to mess around with.

The level design and different power-ups more than make up for the limited moveset as far as I'm concerned. I have just as much fun just running around in this game as I did in any other 3D Mario. Way more than the Galaxies.

Also, rolling long jump into spin jump is awesome. Do it.

Pitmonkey

I can't even find the last green star on world 1-1, i'm pathetic :(

Its at the end, right before you run of the wall with the cat suit (or take the pipe). Instead of going toward the flag, come toward the camera and you will see the star below you - easy to get with the cat suit - you need to jump off.

This game is...something else.

Played in single player, it was an excellent platformer just like all of the games that came before it.

But in multiplayer...it was almost a religious experience. My roommate and I tried it in co-op for the first time yesterday, and the game just went to another level. The co-op is so competitive, with the score and the crown and the shared pool of lives; my roommate was screaming about the reign of King Luigi at 1am.

We just got to world 4, too...so there is much more to come. God bless this game.

Timeaisis

Anyone else use X / A to run and jump instead of Y / B? I always have in all Mario games for whatever reason. Just feels better to me.

Linkhero1

Either I'm really slow or everyone is just better. I've put in 8 hours into the game and I'm only on World 7. It's not my fault I run around everywhere blowing into the mic :(

Please tell me you just have a dark sense of humor and are trolling. Because if not, I just don't know how to respond to such an asinine comment.

I lol'd at true mario fans.

Coldsnap

This game... they just don't make video games like this anymore. I need to get another controller for my girlfriend, we were passing the gamepad back and forth and having a crazy fun time with just that.

Andrew.

Banned
Either I'm really slow or everyone is just better. I've put in 8 hours into the game and I'm only on World 7. It's not my fault I run around everywhere blowing into the mic.

Pretty sure Ive been going at it for way more than 8 hours and Im on 7 too. I've been collecting everything along the way though.

How many of you have taken a ride on the Golden Train? I've seen it in the distance, but I don't know how to get there. Does it move around from stage to stage?

Sixfortyfive

Reposting this just one more time to see if anyone can tell me if I missed a stage. Are there any other stages with a Double Cherry power-up besides the following?

2-5: Double Cherry Pass
4-3: Beep Block Skyway
5-3: Backstreet Bustle
5-6: Cakewalk Flip
6-C: Motley Bossblob's Big Battle
Bowser-A: Motley Bossblob's Encore
Star-3: Rolling Ride Run
Star-6: Honeycomb Starway
Flower-10: Honeycomb Skyway
Flower-12: Boss Blitz

mattx5

Just got a Wii U and was going to hold off buying this for another couple of weeks because I've been playing NSMBU and didn't want Mario overkill. But I caved today and went to Futureshop to pick it up. Only problem was - they had none left in stock!

So is this game selling out or what?

Andrew.

Banned
How many of you have taken a ride on the Golden Train? I've seen it in the distance, but I don't know how to get there. Does it move around from stage to stage?

I've only had it show up a few times in
World 5. Search the overworld map and youll find a small series of warp pipes that will lead you to it. It does respawn as well from time to time. You can see if it's shown up by traveling to the eastern side of the World 6 overworld map

Top Bottom