• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

galvatron

Why are people complaining over the run button?

For me, the issue with running is not so much the button as it is the delay before you reach top speed. Not a pleasant surprise...

Amazing game though and really enjoying the
star world and having galaxy Mario in Rosalina

Might just wrap up my 100% tonight.

Man, I wish this game was grabbing me more, but so far, it's just been meh. I'm in World-Bowser now, and I'm not having nearly as much fun as I did with the galaxy games or even 3D Land.

Where some of the mechanics felt fresh and challenging in those games, I'm already seeing just too many recycled ideas, and just like I used to say, oh great, another desert world, now I'm saying, oh great, another jump-switch level.

I'll reserve my final opinions until I unlock all the later game content, but I think I've just exhausted myself on Mario games for the time being.

roknin

I noticed how this is the closet to "old-school" Mario yet, so there's that divide between people who really like the 3D Marios who aren't as gung-ho on this one(evilromero, green mamba), and the ones who don't like the 3D Marios but like this one(Skilletor, 645, Tain, Riposte probably has a similarly love of old-school japanese action platformers, etc).

Its truly a 3D Mario for people who don't like 3D Mario. Mission accomplished, Nintendo!

Ha, damn that's pretty true actually. I think the fact they married the two so well in this game might speak to why it speaks to me so well as far as controls.

Prefer having a run button myself.

NSMBW doesn't do anything particularly interesting with its levels. All of world 1 is essentially rotating platforms and swaying mushrooms, and it's a trend that continues to the end of the game. There's some interesting ideas with the raft rides in a few levels and that small section with the switch palace, but for the most part the levels are just straightforward in reaching the goal.

Even the ghost houses were significantly more streamlined and dealt more with darkness puzzles rather than tricky layouts, probably to accommodate for multiplayer.

I don't actually think any of them are bad games, but NSMBW was no more exciting to me me than NSMB DS. (And yeah, my biggest issue with NSMBU is basically that it makes a point of reusing absolutely everything it can from NSMBW but the squirrel suit replacing the propeller suit automatically makes it more fun to me.)

I feel pretty much the opposite. I was actually pretty blown away by NSMB Wii, but I think a lot of that had to do with how dull NSMB DS was. I felt like it was 2D Mario's return to form and even considered it up there with SMB 3 and SMW (after replaying I don't any more, but I still feel it's a solid Mario game). I actually enjoyed NSMB 2 a decent amount... I think Gold Mario is the best power up of the NSMB series. A combination of too much NSMB in a short time diminished my enjoyment of NSMB U in conjunction with my feeling that other than graphically and the challenge levels, it did little to distinguish itself from NSMB Wii. NSMB U may be a bit more tight and polished, but ultimately played it too safe, where NSMB Wii was something exciting to me because at that point they were still deciding what direction modern 2D Mario would take.

MarkusRJR

Just beat the two first worlds. Totally bored out of my mind. The Galaxy games (and to a lesser extent 3D Land) captivated me from the start. Please tell me it gets better. Feels like the levels are way too spaced out.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So do people want EAD to work on Super Mario 3D World 2 or on something new?

I want a full-blown Mario Brothers 2 USA homage using this game's system. Except make the main suit the Frog Suit, and tie it into Wart being the villain. So it's Frog vs. Frog.

The only basic thing I'd change is give everyone the "spin attack" jump from Galaxy, and instead of dying when the Timer runs out, Phanto chases after you and tries to kill you, but you can dodge him. Then throw in more level variety (levels grouped by difficulty rather than World Theme, maybe alternate routes depending on how many "Green Stars" you've collected, and switch up the Power-Ups. Tie in the "Dream World" thing from Mario 2, with the levels being even wilder and creative, and have the Doki Doki Panic Characters as unlockable skins.

Dr.Hadji

Just beat the two first worlds. Totally bored out of my mind. The Galaxy games (and to a lesser extent 3D Land) captivated me from the start. Please tell me it gets better. Feels like the levels are way too spaced out.

Game gets worse from there. The only reason we're all praising the game is because we think those first two World are the summit of 3d World's design. Seriously though, there is a GIF timeline in this thread someone should quote. I think it was made just for you.

I think the level design of NSMBU is better than Wii's, but it doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from its console predecessor, so the levels kind of run together in my mind. The overworld being interconnected was the only thing really new about it, and even then it wasn't anywhere near the level of SMW's overworld, the secret exits were all one off levels that connected to one other world, basically a glorified warp cannon system. It's like they understood at the base level of what SMW's overworld was like but didn't fully grasp the level of interconnectedness.

NSMB2 I feel is the most underrated of the series, outside of its dire soundtrack. As gimmicky as the game was, the emphasis on coins actually did help it to stand apart, and having Raccoon Mario that can actually properly fly helped give it some more of its own identity. That said, hidden exits were way too reliant on random-ass hidden vine blocks.

3D World is essentially 3D Land 2. Even outside of my distaste for the style over other styles of Mario, I think they are better served as a team to try something new instead of iterating a previous style for the third time in a row.

Timeaisis

Game gets worse from there. The only reason we're all praising the game is because we think those first two World are the summit of 3d World's design. Seriously though, there is a GIF timeline in this thread someone should quote. I think it was made just for you.

Do people really not like World 1 and 2? Sure, they're not my favorite, but they really aren't bad. I think they give a nice introduction to the new power-ups and features.

In my wildest dreams they'd collaborate with Capcom on a 3d mega man game that would make the blue bomber relevant again and further cement the wii u as the old-school platformer's console of choice.

More realistically, I'd want them to try their hat at something new. Maybe take the 64-style mario template, radically evolve it, and create a new ip to go along with it. (Nintendo could use a ninja character in its pantheon. No, Shiek doesn't count.)

Gartooth

That's how I felt last night when I did the entirety of worlds 1 and 2. There were a few bright spots, but I was a little let down. Anyway just to tell you, I think world 3 helps kick it up a notch.

zroid

Banned
Do people really not like World 1 and 2? Sure, they're not my favorite, but they really aren't bad. I think they give a nice introduction to the new power-ups and features.

They may be relatively simple compared with the rest of the game (for the most part), but they have some great ideas, and very charming level designs. I think the main reason some people are "bored" is because we've seen basically every level in the first two worlds before the game was even out. It's less exciting when you know what you're getting before even trying it for yourself.

roknin

I'd rather they did another project. Still, with that said:

1) I would not mind some DLC or expansion to this at all in the slightest.

2) I would also LOVE to see the Captain Toad stuff as its own game.

3) If there is one thing I would really, really love to carry over though, its having at least the four playable characters we have now, even if the game isn't multiplayer. I cannot go back to having no floating Peach or high-speed Toad to play with. I don't wanna'!

:-(

I just can't see going to a "Mario goes to save Peach" motif again. I'd deal with it but I'd be immensely saddened by it, and the game likely not as enjoyable for me.

All that said, if they did do a 3DW2, which feels way too early to talk about, I wouldn't even be mad.

Gartooth

I think everyone doesn't want to believe it, but by this time I think EAD Tokyo is just too valuable of a studio that Nintendo might see it as a waste not to put them on more 3D Mario.

In terms of the game, distance it from both Galaxy and 3D World. I want them to rethink the central design of a Mario game, and I think they should look to SM64 which was a case of Nintendo having to figure out how to advance the series by stepping out of their "comfort" zone.

I think I'm going to get shit for this opinion, but the NSMB and SM3D series are trying to rekindle people's love for Mario by sticking to what worked in the past rather than moving boldly forward. I enjoy both of those subseries, but at the same time the IP hasn't had radical new changes since Galaxy and I hope EAD Tokyo has it in them to pull another one of those off.

So I just finished
boss blitz bonus level, and theres this huge sand thing in the middle.... whats in it and what do I need to get to unlock it?

Sendou

I think everyone doesn't want to believe it, but by this time I think EAD Tokyo is just too valuable of a studio that Nintendo might see it as a waste not to put them on more 3D Mario.

Franchise fatigue is a real thing. Especially now that EAD Tokyo is apparently capable of working on two major projects at the same time. That said I truly believe Galaxy 3 is a thing that is coming very soon.

rawk

It wouldn't be my first choice, but I bet that's what they (or at least a part of the studio) move onto next. Wii U games are expensive to make, and the install base is low. It would probably be a smart move to make a sequel now that much of the groundwork has been laid.

rawktapus

So I just finished
boss blitz bonus level, and theres this huge sand thing in the middle.... whats in it and what do I need to get to unlock it?

Notice the symbols on the stone slab?
once you've collected every green star, topped every flagpole, and collected every stamp, it becomes another rocket ship that takes you to the FINAL final level

Notice the symbols on the stone slab?
once you've collected every green star, topped every flagpole, and collected every stamp, it becomes another rocket ship that takes you to the FINAL final level

Jesus theres so much content in this game.

Forza 5 and others could take notice.

roknin

This isn't (unfortunately? even if I don't mind to see them working on new games) happening. At least that's what they said before the release.

Yeah I know... still trying to convince Ninty somebody myself it'll happen T_T

(To be fair I'm a long way from needing it anyway, still working on enough Green Stars to finish
Star World
)

leroidys

I'm all in on SM3DW. It's my favorite Mario game since SMB3, and I wouldn't mind EAD making 3 sequels let alone 1.

Having said that, it seems like the internet whiplash against the initial reveal pushed Nintendo into thinking that they need to make another galaxy game next.

What I would really like to see, though, is some DLC for this game, and have EAD do an entirely different series, like Takamaru, Metroid, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat 2, Yoshi's Island, Zelda, or a completely new IP.

zroid

Banned
On one hand, a brand new Galaxy game in HD would be mind-meltingly amazing. On the other hand, I would be worried it wouldn't give the team enough chances to explore entirely new ideas if they're still limited to a previously conceived premise.

Maybe Super Mario Universe isn't such a bad idea. They can keep some of the underlying systems of the Galaxy games while not being strictly tied down since it's technically a different sub-series.

Raw64life

Just got to the crown world. I don't want to play it because it'll be all over afterwards,

Jesus theres so much content in this game.

Forza 5 and others could take notice.

You mean you'd rather just get all this content for $60 instead of paying an extra $4.99 for each bonus world, $2.99 for
Rosalina
or just get the season pass for $14.99 WOW WHAT SAVINGS

Anth0ny

People complaining about 'b to run' are ridiculous. Not true Mario fans, not people who know how to play platformers. A run button gives precision, control, finesse.

Complaining that jumps aren't long enough? That and triple jump has been adjusted because the platforming calls for it and it would be too easy. Again, casuals look bad ranting about platforming mechanics.

This has to be some kind of sick troll.

Only if they don't revert to just mario and luigi again. It's time peach and...had some galaxy action.

Hopefully she doesn't travel through any clear pipes in that dress with Mario behind her looking up her frock. But yes, she needs some Galaxy action.

Though I like the idea of a Super Mario Universe.

Marjar

Banned
I think the only thing I don't like about this game is the steering for the damn ice skate.

It seems to always go the opposite direction I want it to go.

Andrew.

Banned
No. Galaxy 3. I demand it!

No! ;)

I know Im a man who doesnt do the essay thing when it comes to explaining stuff on here, but Im not a fan of the Galaxy games and lord how I tried my hardest to get into them. Even made a thread about it not too long ago.

I think EAD Tokyo should make whatever they want to make, whether it be Mario, something else well-worn, or something new entirely.

Half the people are going to hate it at reveal regardless of what it is, so why care what they think.

maxcriden

No! ;)

I know Im a man who doesnt do the essay thing when it comes to explaining stuff on here, but Im not a fan of the Galaxy games and lord how I tried my hardest to get into them. Even made a thread about it not too long ago.

Going to find this thread....

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I can't even begin to describe the loathsome gut reaction I have to anyone who asks for a "change of pace" in the same breath as "Super Mario Galaxy 3."

But anyway...

I think I'm going to get shit for this opinion, but the NSMB and SM3D series are trying to rekindle people's love for Mario by sticking to what worked in the past rather than moving boldly forward. I enjoy both of those subseries, but at the same time the IP hasn't had radical new changes since Galaxy and I hope EAD Tokyo has it in them to pull another one of those off.
I can agree to that extent, but honestly, I feel like if you're really wanting to change things up, then it should be with a different IP altogether or at least featuring a satellite Mario character instead of the main man himself.

Spoilery question:

Has it been confirmed whether anything unlocks when you get all stamps and all green stars?
The stamps are the reward. The final gameplay element you unlock is Crown World.

No! ;)

Sir, I will not suffer the non-existence of a Galaxy sequel because of your bad taste!
Am I only one who thinks Peach looks hot in her Fire Flower outfit?

Peach is a disproportionate woman.

Top Bottom