• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Gartooth

OK just wrapped up world 3 and while it was easy, there were a few levels in particular to alleviate my concerns about the game. (The person who told me I hadn't played the course with the gates was right!) Should have known better but I guess it was just the hype that skyrocketed my expectations for this game.

As far as which I prefer, I sit strongly in the 3D Mario camp. I did enjoy 3D Land and I'm enjoying 3D World as well, but I really would like to see the more "adventure" style Mario games return this gen. Its not that I don't appreciate the 2D games, in fact I love them and grew up with the likes of SMB3 and SMW. Its just that we've had several 2D Mario games like that recently and making 3D Mario go that direction as well, while fun, isn't something that I want to be permanent.

Insaniac

I've heard people complain about the game having 8 way movement. I noticed the game does "assist" you in moving in the 8 primary directions but it is not locked to that, is that what it means or is it only when the movement is "locked" to those 8 directions?

Timeaisis

Does anyone have or can make a move-list for this game? I've heard of a couple moves you can do that I haven't been able to pull off and I'm curious about them. A summary post would be very helpful with what they do and how to do them.

OK just wrapped up world 3 and while it was easy, there were a few levels in particular to alleviate my concerns about the game. (The person who told me I hadn't played the course with the gates was right!) Should have known better but I guess it was just the hype that skyrocketed my expectations for this game.

As far as which I prefer, I sit strongly in the 3D Mario camp. I did enjoy 3D Land and I'm enjoying 3D World as well, but I really would like to see the more "adventure" style Mario games return this gen. Its not that I don't appreciate the 2D games, in fact I love them and grew up with the likes of SMB3 and SMW. Its just that we've had several 2D Mario games like that recently and making 3D Mario go that direction as well, while fun, isn't something that I want to be permanent.
I doubt it's permanent and in fact I view 3D World (besides as a good game in its own right) as a somewhat necessary measure taken to help increase 3D Mario's userbase and familiarize fans of the 2D series with the concepts of 3D Mario movement and control. Clearly EAD Tokyo loves making these games and it's just not right that they sell only a fraction of what NSMB does despite their consistent, obvious quality

Gartooth

I doubt it's permanent and in fact I view 3D World (besides as a good game in its own right) as a somewhat necessary measure taken to help increase 3D Mario's userbase and familiarize fans of the 2D series with the concepts of 3D Mario movement and control. Clearly EAD Tokyo loves making these games and it's just not right that they sell only a fraction of what NSMB does despite their consistent, obvious quality

I'm just worried about Nintendo wanting to further 2Dify 3D Mario. When Galaxy 1 and 2 despite being multimillion sellers, sell only a fraction of NSMB Wii then I think some concern is justified.

kodecraft

I was wondering why I felt nothing playing NSMBU. I thought maybe Mario was finally wearing off on me after all these years playing so many games, but this game rekindled my love.

NSMB Wii/Wii U is so overrated to me, the only one that did anything for me was the original DS version.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The second star in
flower
-1 is so ungodly frustrating. Combined with being too stubborn to "save" the first star in that course made it even worse.

My random gripe is the levels where you need items that aren't spawned in that specific level to get stars. So you have to go farm those items and save them until that specific point. Completely unnecessary. There's only a few like this, but ugh.

There's only one level I've encountered (I'm in the post-game) as far as I know where I had to get a Power-Up from outside the level to get a Star (although a few times I got the Cat Suit to Gold Flag levels but I'm sure there was a harder, natural way to do so)...otherwise I always found the Power Up in a level, sometimes hidden, and had to just keep it to a point which provided a challenge.

It was the Lava World Bowser Castle, the one atop the bridge before you drop it down. Maybe there's a way to get up there, I almost did so with Luigi, like I thought jumping on the spinning guys, but no dice, I had to get the Cat Suit.

The only other thing close was in the Super Galaxy Level, there's three rotating platforms with a Stamp above...it seems like you'd need the Cat Suit, but after a few tries and clever use of Peach's float I got the Stamp.

The only thing I dislike is the Character-Specific Stamp Buttons, which is odd since otherwise the game really can be done using one character if you're good enough. Although every character only has one, they're located at the beginning of stages usually, and they're placed in logical locations that you'd probably use that character in the first place...Toad's is in a timed level, Luigi's a ghost level, and
the secret character's in the level right after you unlock them where you'll likely wish to try them out

Neiteio

Get the super mushroom that makes you a giant on the bridge with the cat goombas, and then butt slam the small section of grey blocks on the ground shortly after the bridge
You don't even need to butt-slam at the end of 1-1; just stand on the grey blocks while in Mega form. Then you'll drop to the level below and get the Green Star. :)

Berordn

NSMB Wii/Wii U is so overrated to me, the only one that did anything for me was the original DS version.

They're solid games, but definitely low on the ideas and inspiration totem pole. For all its faults NSMB DS kept throwing new ideas at you, even if there were more misses than hits.

That's sort of what I feel about 3D World (and the Galaxy games). They keep tossing new ideas you and while not all of them are winners, none of them are bad. You never really have a point past 1-1 where you're just running to the goal and stomping Goombas on the way, there's always some new idea that the levels revolve around and you'll probably never see it again.

I'm just worried about Nintendo wanting to further 2Dify 3D Mario. When Galaxy 1 and 2 despite being multimillion sellers, sell only a fraction of NSMB Wii then I think some concern is justified.
Yeah, it's justified, but for months it seems as though people believed that that's not a concern Nintendo themselves should share as though their only role is to provide us with the specific Mario game we expected while cursing any deviation no matter the logic behind it. And so a lot of people chose to see 3D World not as at the very least a sensible decision that could help the 3D brand by diverting and converting some of the 2D audience, but as some sort of confirmation that EAD is suddenly going to stop making the type of game they clearly love to make, enough so that they developed 2 last gen despite sales figures that couldn't hold a candle to NSMB's

Guys, just got the game this morning in the mail! Been playing for the past hour.

Anyone wanna tell he how to get that second green star on 1-4? I can see it, just don't know how to get to that little island!

prophecy0

I am currently in the middle of Persona 4:Golden, Ace Attorney 5, Tearaway, ACIV, NFS:R, and Killzone 4, among other games. I also really, really want to buy A Link Between Worlds.

All of that said, I have an overwhelming urge to buy a Wii U Zelda bundle, primarily just to play SM3DW. Someone please tell me this is a terrible decision.

Linkhero1

Guys, just got the game this morning in the mail! Been playing for the past hour.

Anyone wanna tell he how to get that second green star on 1-4? I can see it, just don't know how to get to that little island!

If it's the level where you're racing through water then it's after you go up those platforms where the 1-up is located. After you drop down, just stick towards the left and enter the waterfall on the far left. You'll know what I'm talking about when you play the level.

lt519

Just got to world 5. Was gone all weekend and only able to get in about an hour a night. I'll play some more tonight but the game is really picking up and starting to put a smile on my face. My favorites so far have been the Mario Kart themed level (only one I've played twice) and the Beep Block Skyway.

Side rant: I play Mario games in their natural flow and then revisit to collect later, this includes skipping levels if I find secrets, it's almost like a first time speed run.

I managed to get all three stars and stamp on Beep Block Skyway in my one run, trying to keep 5 Mario's alive on that final long slide was hysterical, made it down with 3.

Played some co-op on a separate file as well, wasn't too fun because the skill levels were to uneven.

So far meeting my expectations for inventiveness, the difficulty needs to ramp a bit, but I'm assuming that'll take care of itself when I start collecting and getting to later levels. Music and visuals are phenomenal and the cat suits and sound effects put a massive grin on my face.

Timeaisis

This one took me a little while to figure out. You have to go through
the waterfall
on the left side. It's a right before the section with the island in the distance.

Exile20

I am currently in the middle of Persona 4:Golden, Ace Attorney 5, Tearaway, ACIV, NFS:R, and Killzone 4, among other games. I also really, really want to buy A Link Between Worlds.

All of that said, I have an overwhelming urge to buy a Wii U Zelda bundle, primarily just to play SM3DW. Someone please tell me this is a terrible decision.

You have a lot on your plate right now, damn.

Normally I would say go for it but you will be backed up for a while.
Go for it!!!!!

Linkhero1

Well, one thing I can say for sure is that you'll probably finish Mario before all of those games if you decide to go for the bundle. There's not a point in the game so far, from what I've played, that felt as if it were a drag. It's been pure fun and I'm currently sitting at work wanting to play. It's like the cocaine of gaming.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
They're solid games, but definitely low on the ideas and inspiration totem pole. For all its faults NSMB DS kept throwing new ideas at you, even if there were more misses than hits.
Did we play the same games?

NSMBW / U don't reuse the same major stage gimmicks that much. One parabeetle stage per game. One water bubble stage per game. One or two bonecoaster stages per game. Those are just the ones off the top of my head. Rarely did I think to myself that I had seen a stage before within the same game... There's the issue of NSMBU reusing a lot of stage types from NSMBW, I guess.

Most of NSMB DS, especially the first half of the game, is a complete blur to me now. Even at the time, I remember that the only things that jumped out as particularly creative to me were the bosses.

Blues1990

Anyway, after all is said and done, uh, does anybody know what the plot to this game is? Yeah, I know, I love the absolute minimalist presentation too, but I'm curious. I figure that this game would follow the old-school practice of just putting the plot in the manual, but this game doesn't really have one of those, and the digital manual turns up nothing. Even the official website isn't of help. I'm genuinely stumped. Bowser kidnaps seven pixies to build a theme park? I don't even

Well, after playing the game for a bit, I've come to the conclusion that King Bowser is going through a midlife crisis of sorts. (Capturing younger princesses, driving around in a souped up sports car, that sort of thing.)

But, yeah. The plot basically boils down to Bowser has given up with capturing Peach & taking over the Mushroom Kingdom, and only discovering a warp pipe that leads to the Sprixie Kingdom, he decided to muscle in & take over the land for himself. Only Mario & co. can free the land of from his tyranny, blah-blah-blah, Luigi is No. 1.

If it's the level where you're racing through water then it's after you go up those platforms where the 1-up is located. After you drop down, just stick towards the left and enter the waterfall on the far left. You'll know what I'm talking about when you play the level.
This one took me a little while to figure out. You have to go through
the waterfall
on the left side. It's a right before the section with the island in the distance.
Thanks guys!

Here is a great walkthrough for every star location in the game: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/super-mario-3d-world/Walkthrough
I'll never use this! I prefer people give me hints.

prophecy0

F it, I'm going to Best Buy right now. I won't need to buy another game for months at this rate, which works out because nothing of interest to me is really coming out anytime soon.

NeonZ

NSMB 2 and U didn't repeat the success of their predecessors though. I think that for a while they were blinded by the successes of those games and tried to make the franchise more uniform in several senses(which could be seen even in spin offs like Paper Mario). 3d Land was created in that context and 3d World likely at least started development in that scenario. That's probably in the past now though, since the sales of those last two games might have been a reality check.

Hey folks. I'm really happy to see so many enjoying this fantastic game! This has been my favorite Mario game in years. I went to a friends house last Friday and he, his wife, and myself were playing together. We were non-stop laughing at how fun it was. The game is absolutely stunning and shows that while Nintendo may not have the strongest hardware in the Wii U, the combination of the developers ability, the art style, and the hardware are capable of putting out a simply beautiful and awe inspiring game.

If it wasn't for my near obsession these last few days with Link Between Worlds I'd probably be much further into this game. Oh well, that's what the Thanksgiving break will be for! Never thought it'd be my Playstation 4 that would be receiving the least amount of my time lol.

trenken

Banned
Just got a Wii U and was going to hold off buying this for another couple of weeks because I've been playing NSMBU and didn't want Mario overkill. But I caved today and went to Futureshop to pick it up. Only problem was - they had none left in stock!

So is this game selling out or what?

Not in the US. There are only 4 million U's in the entire world lol. Kinda hard for U games to sell out when so few people spread all around the world have one.

maxcriden

Just wanted to jump in and say I'm really loving this game. It's Tuesday. It's 12:37 PM. I'm sitting at work on my lunch break. I just ate a burrito. I just want to be home playing 3DW with my wife!

So is there really any penalty for losing all of your lives? Does it affect anything? I was speeding through levels with a friend, spending life after life trying to get difficult Green Stars/Stamps and we hit the game over screen. Then it just returned us to the map with 10 lives and said all toad houses respawned. That it?

So is there really any penalty for losing all of your lives? Does it affect anything? I was speeding through levels with a friend, spending life after life trying to get difficult Green Stars/Stamps and we hit the game over screen. Then it just returned us to the map with 10 lives and said all toad houses respawned. That it?
The only real punishment is that you lose all progress you had on a stage, so if you had a checkpoint you're sent to the beginning again.

Timeaisis

Just wanted to jump in and say I'm really loving this game. It's Tuesday. It's 12:37 PM. I'm sitting at work on my lunch break. I just ate a burrito. I just want to be home playing 3DW with my wife!

You and me both (minus the burrito part). Let's just say I'm thankful I have two days off for Thanksgiving.

So, here's the list of my favorite levels

World 1
- Super Bell Hill
- Mount Beanpole

World 2
- Shadow-Play Alley
- Really Rolling Hills
- Double Cherry Pass

World 3
- Snowball Park
- Pipeline Lagoon
- The Bullet Bill Express
- A Banquet with Hisstocrat

World 4
- Piranha Creeper Creek
- Spike's Lost City

World 5
- Sunshine Seaside
- Sprawling Savannah
- Searchlight Sneak

World 6
- Clear Pipe Cruise
- Bullet Bill Base
- Motley Bossblobb's Big Battle

World Castle
- Fort Fire Bros
- Switchblack Ruins
- Trick Trap Tower

World Bowser
- Cookie Cogworks
- Footlight Lane
- Deepwater Dungeon

World Star
- Super Block Land
- Honeycomb Skyway
- Gargantuan Grotoo
- Cosmic Cannon Cluster

I may be misremembering some of them cause I had to grab some names from a wiki that only has vague descriptions, but I'm pretty sure on 80% of that list.

Berordn

Did we play the same games?

NSMBW / U don't reuse the same major stage gimmicks that much. One parabeetle stage per game. One water bubble stage per game. One or two bonecoaster stages per game. Those are just the ones off the top of my head. Rarely did I think to myself that I had seen a stage before within the same game... There's the issue of NSMBU reusing a lot of stage types from NSMBW, I guess.

Most of NSMB DS, especially the first half of the game, is a complete blur to me now. Even at the time, I remember that the only things that jumped out as particularly creative to me were the bosses.

NSMBW doesn't do anything particularly interesting with its levels. All of world 1 is essentially rotating platforms and swaying mushrooms, and it's a trend that continues to the end of the game. There's some interesting ideas with the raft rides in a few levels and that small section with the switch palace, but for the most part the levels are just straightforward in reaching the goal.

Even the ghost houses were significantly more streamlined and dealt more with darkness puzzles rather than tricky layouts, probably to accommodate for multiplayer.

I don't actually think any of them are bad games, but NSMBW was no more exciting to me me than NSMB DS. (And yeah, my biggest issue with NSMBU is basically that it makes a point of reusing absolutely everything it can from NSMBW but the squirrel suit replacing the propeller suit automatically makes it more fun to me.)

The only real punishment is that you lose all progress you had on a stage, so if you had a checkpoint you're sent to the beginning again.

That's what I thought. At first when we started getting low on lives I thought we might want to go back and save up. But after realizing that the game hands you ten and just restarts level progress we just didn't feel the need.

I liked NSMBWii quite a bit, but I was bored stiff of U. I think 3 games of that aesthetic/music/controls just wore me down after awhile. That whole game just blurs together in my head. The only things I remember are the bits they swiped from Wii, like the water bubbles that float in the air, the bone coaster, etc

I liked NSMBWii quite a bit, but I was bored stiff of U. I think 3 games of that aesthetic/music/controls just wore me down after awhile. That whole game just blurs together in my head. The only things I remember are the bits they swiped from Wii, like the water bubbles that float in the air, the bone coaster, etc

Same. NSMBWii felt like a BIG upgrade over its DS predecessor, while NSMBU felt dull to me. Rather, I just felt nothing while playing the game. It wasn't fun, it was just going through the motions. Got most of the coins and unlocked most of the special levels too. Same feeling I had with Galaxy actually. The sense of fun and wonder never hit me.

This game is just perfect. I can't believe how good it is! There are certain implementations in this that make me feel the same joy I got from controlling Mario 64 for the first time. It's almost impossible to not smile while playing!

Unless the game rapidly drops off in the second half or something, this is about as perfect as I've seen any game get.

I feel like I'm going to be studying this game for a long time while working on my own projects.

MegalonJJ

Banned
So, here's the list of my favorite levels

World 1
- Super Bell Hill
- Mount Beanpole

World 2
- Shadow-Play Alley
- Really Rolling Hills
- Double Cherry Pass

World 3
- Snowball Park
- Pipeline Lagoon
- The Bullet Bill Express
- A Banquet with Hisstocrat

World 4
- Piranha Creeper Creek
- Spike's Lost City

World 5
- Sunshine Seaside
- Sprawling Savannah
- Searchlight Sneak

World 6
- Clear Pipe Cruise
- Bullet Bill Base
- Motley Bossblobb's Big Battle

World Castle
- Fort Fire Bros
- Switchblack Ruins
- Trick Trap Tower

World Bowser
- Cookie Cogworks
- Footlight Lane
- Deepwater Dungeon

World Star
- Super Block Land
- Honeycomb Skyway
- Gargantuan Grotoo
- Cosmic Cannon Cluster
I may be misremembering some of them cause I had to grab some names from a wiki that only has vague descriptions, but I'm pretty sure on 80% of that list.

Fixed for EU gaffers dude :)

Does anyone know if Game will be selling download codes at midnight?

Linkhero1

My problem with NSMB U is that it took forever for the game to get interesting. I think it was by World 5 where I started to enjoy the game. NSMB Wii was alright but I was drained by NSMB DS that I didn't get to fully enjoy NSMB Wii as much as other people. I held off playing Super Luigi U because I don't think I could handle it at this point in time.

Timeaisis

My problem with NSMB U is that it took forever for the game to get interesting. I think it was by World 5 where I started to enjoy the game. NSMB Wii was alright but I was drained by NSMB DS that I didn't get to fully enjoy NSMB Wii as much as other people. I held off playing Super Luigi U because I don't think I could handle it at this point in time.

Yeah, the first few worlds are pretty boring. It took me a couple months to get around to go back and playing it, and I realized the later level designs were pretty good. Not a fabulous game, but a decent platformer nonetheless.

Top Bottom