• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Finally made it to
Crown World - Champions Road

There is no way. I actually feel a bit intimidated. Is this like a survival horror for my mechanical skills :^/
It's pretty much the Dark Souls of Mario levels. In other words, you just have to play it over and over and over, slowly learning more and more about how to efficiently make your way through the level. It's a test of endurance and consistency. You will start to see the level for its individual segments and realize that you are slowly improving your success rate with each segment as you go. The key is to eventually put all the pieces together and have one good run. If you get discouraged just take a break and come back another day. I'm not ashamed to admit it took me at least a few hundred lives and a solid 8 hours or so to beat it without any power-ups.

Maybe a little ashamed...

MYE

Only now am I truly appreciating the quality of 3D World's OST.

The fact that its not as "bombastic" as Galaxies kinda works against it if you go in expecting that vibe. Its amazing in its own right.
It just feels so happy! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQB98BvZb30&list=PL2XjmdkuVL-2Aesf0FjUBjwCIQ2HGPSwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyUMmWnAiI&list=PL2XjmdkuVL-2Aesf0FjUBjwCIQ2HGPSwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07mUMj8jCcI&list=PL2XjmdkuVL-2Aesf0FjUBjwCIQ2HGPSwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qCdi1dNymE&list=PL2XjmdkuVL-2Aesf0FjUBjwCIQ2HGPSwM
etc...

And goddamn, this one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LvZKeO34PA

Dancing_little_chinese_kid.gif

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Champion's Road isn't remotely as difficult as S8-Crown, assuming you're not using power-ups in either. Although I'm somewhat biased in that I don't have the depth perception to even see the stereoscopic 3D effect in the first place, and that level is all about precise jumps.

In any case, I'm planning on running a 3-4 player stream for 3D World starting tomorrow evening. We've had a tradition of running through 4-player Mario games over Christmas lately and I'm looking forward to it.

Gartooth

I don't remember much from the final level of 3D Land, but I had a way easier time with it than Galaxy 2's final level which beat me down for the longest time.

solarus

Just picked up the Wii U and 3DS last week, I have both 3d land and world.

Which should I play first.....
World is the superior game. 3d land is fantastic but much safer in terms of level design and scope so i guess maybe start off with 3d land to ease you in?

Lijik

Champion's Road isn't remotely as difficult as S8-Crown

Disagree entirely. S8-Crown is the easiest of these recent super hard super final stages.
The only thing I need to worry about in that stage is the miniboss encounter, because I cant seem to be good at those in 3D Land.

I'm loving the game so far, but having just played Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the first time a few weeks ago, the controls feel worse to me. Like, the controls in SMG2 felt so amazingly fluid and perfect. But in this game, everything just feels so... stiff. Mario moves so slow unless you use the run button (I prefer not even having a run button and Mario going the faster speed as default), and even his long jump feels very weak in comparision to SMG and others.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having a blast, but I can't help but feel the controls could have been better (ie: copy SMG's controls lol).

Coolwhip

Banned
So I got a Wii U for just this game and I must admit I'm disappointed
not one bit!!

To me this game shows that Nintendo (EAD specifically) after 30 years is still lonely on top of the videogame business. Something I didn't feel was true in the recent years. 3D World ranks up there in quality with Super Mario Bros, Super Mario World and Mario 64.

Everything is so incredibly well done. The gameplay is super tight, controlling Mario feels great. The visuals are gorgeous in both art style and tech, the game has a Toy Story esque quality imo. All at an impressive 60 fps, which at times is hard to believe with how much is happening on screen. Whoever said Nintendo is struggling with HD needs to play this game. The orchestrated music is beautiful, some levels have really memorable tunes. I love how the music changes when you go underwater. But the best part of this game is the variety and creativity in level design. I'm at world 6 currently and the amount of different gameplay types that have been thrown at me already is not something I have experienced in a game before. The attention to detail is also incredible, from the animations of Mario looking at things when he runs past them, to snow falling off trees and Plessie waving at you when you leave. It all adds up.

3D World didn't have the same impact on me as Mario on NES, SNES and Mario 64 (probably because I was a kid back then) but it's just an incredibly well crafted game by a team that has many many years of experience and some of the most talented people in the business. I can't wait what they will do next really. I hope either a Mario 64 style Mario or a new IP. It would be great to see what this team can do with something entirely new.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I didn't get this for Christmas because it literally wasn't available on Amazon. 😢

So my dad owes mad a copy as soon as he finds one. Or rather goes out to get one.

I only just discovered today that in multiplayer if one player crouches down and another player jumps on them the crouched player throws them up into the air for a boosted jump, between this and jumping out of the hands of a jumping player who's also carrying you there's numerous ways of boosting other players jumps outside of a good old headbounce.

Also co-op champions road is the devourer of lives.

I only just discovered today that in multiplayer if one player crouches down and another player jumps on them the crouched player throws them up into the air for a boosted jump, between this and jumping out of the hands of a jumping player who's also carrying you there's numerous ways of boosting other players jumps outside of a good old headbounce.

Also co-op champions road is the devourer of lives.

I hope Nintendo releases some Mario Club 4 player gameplay videos of 3D World sometime in the future. It'd be great to see how crazy things can get, especially in the final level.

Artex

Banned
So I like this game so far and everything, but does it get more challenging? I'm at 3-3 and I might have died twice.

god that level where as fire Mario I have to light all the torches in the jungle to get all the green stars took me about 30 lives

so dam fun

So I like this game so far and everything, but does it get more challenging? I'm at 3-3 and I might have died twice.
It gets a little more difficult before you beat the game. I haven't played much post game content but supposedly that's where the biggest challenges are.

mo60

I keep on running out of time on the
boss blitz level in the flower world
.Does anyone have any tips to beat this level quickly? The boss that seems to waste the most time for me is the
two hisstocrats
. I can not seem to beat this boss in under 100 seconds usually.I know what to do to beat that boss quickly, but I can not seem to pull it off constantly.

Kureransu

Seriously i beat the game a couple days ago. The FIRST bonus level of the FIRST bonus world was ready to make me throw my pad, trying to get all the stars and stamp. It's like they play against your reflexes. I can imagine them talking:

"so given this situation, what would you do?"
"Great, put enemies there that would jump with you. Now what would you do?"
"I'd try to jump on them before they jumped."
"Great! make them spiked as well."

huehuehuehuehue

.Does anyone have any tips to beat this level quickly? The boss that seems to waste the most time for me is the
two hisstocrats
. I can not seem to beat this boss in under 100 seconds usually.I know what to do to beat that boss quickly, but I can not seem to pull it off constantly.

i played the boss blitz by myself. the trick i used is to play with 2 characters. use your own character, pick up the second character, and toss him/her onto the top of each
hisstocrat
(preferably from behind so as to avoid attacks). you can clear it pretty quickly this way, and no need to use any platforms or cat suit.

two hisstocrats

be in cat form & have one spare also

when you hit one of the hisstocrats you bounce into the air so you can hit the other also

Cedric

two hisstocrats

Yea, I used to have the same problem as you did. Get the cat power-up, do a normal jump and land on one of the snakes, afterwards bounce and use the cat strike thing so that you can reach and hit the other one. Alternatively, you can just go behind one of the snakes with Luigi and do a spin jump to reach it's head (Luigi jumps so high that he doesn't even need to go on top of the snake pillar things to hit the two snakes).

mo60

Yea, I used to have the same problem as you did. Get the cat power-up, do a normal jump and land on one of the snakes, afterwards bounce and use the cat strike thing so that you can reach and hit the other one. Alternatively, you can just go behind one of the snakes with Luigi and do a spin jump to reach it's head (Luigi jumps so high that he doesn't even need to go on top of the snake pillar things to hit the two snakes).

Do you have to press the jump button and hold the attack button to do that cat strike. I can't always seem to pull it off.I always use the cat powerup when fighting that boss.

Nevermid I figured out how to claw dive

Do you have to press the jump button and hold the attack button to do that cat strike. I can't always seem to pull it off.I always use the cat powerup when fighting that boss.

Nevermid I figured out how to claw dive

no you simply press and hold the attack button after jumping. only have to hold it briefly

mo60

I beat the boss blitz level and I had to use luigi to do. I used his spin move to beat the two hisstocrats.I also got the golden flag for that level. Sadly, I still need to beat that level with the other characters for some of the stamps.

Sagitario

Got two Stars on
Champion's Road
. I'm getting better :^D
I arrived once to the
purple piranha plants
, two or three times to the
spiked ants (wall jump
area) ._.
More than 100 lives getting the timing right for the double blue/pink disappearing rhythm cubes/steps (the ones just before the first green star).
I will try again tomorrow. I fear for the last area since I don't like the
dash panels
mechanics.

Rehynn

Seriously, the spike ant wall-jumping part on Champions' Road is the most crappy trial-and-error segment ever in a Mario game. You don't encounter such a scenario anywhere else in the game, and the perspective even makes it harder to tell where the hitbox of the ants is. I'm never sure if I'm going to hit them or not when I'm jumping from underneath them.

It also doesn't help that the segments leading up to this frustrating POS are mind-numbingly boring at this point.

EDIT: I'm obviously not using any powerups.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

you literally ain't seen nothing yet. I've seen the Game Over screen a couple of times during the post-game content

Cedric

Seriously, the spike ant wall-jumping part on Champions' Road is the most crappy trial-and-error segment ever in a Mario game. You don't encounter such a scenario anywhere else in the game, and the perspective even makes it harder to tell where the hitbox of the ants is. I'm never sure if I'm going to hit them or not when I'm jumping from underneath them.

It also doesn't help that the segments leading up to this frustrating POS are mind-numbingly boring at this point.

If you're with the fifth character you can just kill them all with the spin attack and then simply wall jump your way to the top, but I find that alternating between a wall jump followed by a bounce on their face is the easiest way to reach the top.

oh and it took me a long time to figure this out, but when bouncing on the piranhas you're supposed to keep holding the jump button down after you land on the first head, I used to try and time the button every time I landed on their heads but I kept failing miserably. This discovery made it the easiest part.

The Boat

I dont see what's the problem. Wall jump an slide down as necessary, the only issue is trying to kill them if you're in the middle and want kill both in one hit.

Rehynn

If you're with the fifth character you can just kill them all with the spin attack and then simply wall jump your way to the top, but I find that alternating between a wall jump followed by a bounce on their face is the easiest way to reach the top.

I'm still finishing my Mario run, no others characters yet. But yeah, I'm gonna have to try to bounce on them.

I dont see what's the problem. Wall jump an slide down as necessary, the only issue is trying to kill them if you're in the middle and want kill both in one hit.

The problem is that I don't know if and how far it is necessary to slide down, because I can't tell when I'll jump into the ants and when I'll avoid them.

daakusedo

You're thinking this part too much.
When the ants appear on the opposite side just begin the ascension and bounce on them to get over the ones on the other side and repeat.

Rehynn

You're thinking this part too much.
When the ants appear on the opposite side just begin the ascension and bounce on them to get over the ones on the other side and repeat.

Yeah, probably. Gonna try this approach tonight though. Need to finish the game so I can get back to WW HD, Fire Emblem, then finally start A Link Between Worlds.

jnWake

The bonus room with the
NES Link sprite
is great, with appropiate music and all!

Game has got a lot harder in the later worlds... My lives lost count will be eerily similar to my dead Pikmin count in Pikmin 3 by the time I finish this!

zweifuss

I bought myself a WiiU (NSMBWU+L deluxe set) and this game, and I'd have to say it's the most fun I've had with a Mario game since Super Mario Galaxy. Everything just feels so creative and fun, the colours are beautiful and the control is so tight. It's refreshing not running into any bugs which the latest triple-A game series seem to be riddled with these days, and just have a pure gaming experience. So far not regretting the purchase one bit, and can't wait for Donkey Kong in a few months!

Oh yeah, and the music is amazing!!! So happy not to hear the NSMB BWA-BWA anymore.

so yeah, i picked this up yesterday and I co-oped the entire main campaign + star world with 2-3 people

i'll probably do a detailed writeup later, but i'll say that right now I think it's an incredible game, and a wonderful example of pitch-perfect game design. It's not entirely flawless, but most of the time this game is pure bliss. EAD hasn't lost a step.

Given that I've brought my Wii U on a train, for a 6-hour train journey http://instagram.com/p/ieZIu_O6ju/ I think it's safe to say the bonus worlds have taken this to another level for me. Just astonishingly good on every level and in every detail.

I would happily play this forever, or as long as they can keep cranking out levels.

krae_man

Man beating every stage with every character is so boring and time consuming. Just doing Luigi too in 3D Land was annoying enough. This is mind numbing.

But I'm still doing it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wait, you have to do that for every stage? Meh, no way I'm doing that. My final goal in this game is beating the final world and getting every star. I usually go all the way in these games, but that's a bit too much.

Man beating every stage with every character is so boring and time consuming. Just doing Luigi too in 3D Land was annoying enough. This is mind numbing.

But I'm still doing it.

step 1) grab every extra controller you have
step 2) complete level but don't grab the flag
step 3) join in with all the other characters
step 4) grab the flag

you only ever need to hit the top of the flagpole with one character so the rest are easy

Top Bottom