• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Gartooth

I haven't even finished it yet with a single character, and I feel the same way. They really needed to put the rooms by about half, it just gets so damn tedious after awhile.

The thing with Mystery House Marathon is that of the 30 rooms, only about 5 of them are actually difficult which makes it all the more tedious when you have to keep repeating it. Captain Toad amounting to only 6 levels is criminal and I would have rather seen the team make a few more Captain Toad levels then design those Mystery Houses.

Shauni

The thing with Mystery House Marathon is that of the 30 rooms, only about 5 of them are actually difficult which makes it all the more tedious when you have to keep repeating it. Captain Toad amounting to only 6 levels is criminal and I would have rather seen the team make a few more Captain Toad levels then design those Mystery Houses.

I agree. Captain Toad was just so utterly pleasant.

Shauni

I know the Club Nintendo reward will never come to the NA area, because ours is basically a landfill, but I do hope that soundtrack is released in some capacity. I don't usually buy game OSTs, but I really enjoyed this one.

Crayolan

Just beat the main game and got to Star World. The last 2 worlds really stepped it up compared to the beginning, though the boss repeats got annoying. And
Cat Bowser
was great.
Anyway, is the post game a Mario 3D Land affair with another full 8 worlds or just Star World?

Shauni

Just beat the main game and got to Star World. The last 2 worlds really stepped it up compared to the beginning, though the boss repeats got annoying. And
Cat Bowser
was great.
Anyway, is the post game a Mario 3D Land affair with another full 8 worlds or just Star World?

There's four post-world games with varying amount of levels (I forget the total of each). The fourth is unlocked by getting all stamps, stars and gold flags from previous worlds.

Insaniac

This has some of the most addicting music since... well nearly all the 3D mario's have had amazing music, but the title theme is just CONSTANTLY stuck in my head

andymcc

Banned
I've been taking this slow and easy and finally got to champion's road.

I'm trying this without power ups and goddamn is it rough.

popyea

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I'm always holding forward all the time anyway, yet my momentum would always be cut. I'll look more into it later.

You have to keep holding the jump button (or just press it as you land on their head) in order to get that propelling bounce. Doing it off of a spinning long jump results in ridiculous air, both length and height.

I've been taking this slow and easy and finally got to champion's road.

I'm trying this without power ups and goddamn is it rough.

Same, I'm starting to get the hang of it but it definitely is a big step up in difficulty from the rest of the game - especially as default Mario.

popyea

spinning? long jump?

While moving in a direction, press Crouch, Run and then Jump in quick succession to do a somersaulting long jump. Just pressing Crouch and then Jump will do a regular long jump. These have been around since 3D Land, and the Long Jump was in Galaxy. Have you played those?

Anteo

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I'm always holding forward all the time anyway, yet my momentum would always be cut. I'll look more into it later.

POMP = timing jumps when landing on enemies to receive and extra vertical boost. Stole the word from Mario Kart 64. When you land from high enough and hop with your car upon landing "'POMP" appear comic book style. And by my theory, it maintains your horizon momentum as well.
testing t right now, it seems while the speed stays the same after jumping on the enemy, you do lose second gear after landing.

popyea

testing t right now, it seems while the speed stays the same after jumping on the enemy, you do lose second gear after landing.

Does doing the spinning long jump let you keep running after you land? I remember in 3D Land that it actually gave your run a temporary boost when you landed. Haven't really experienced that in 3D World though, unless I'm just doing it wrong.

CassSept

So I didn't figure this out until the end of the end of the game. If you jump off of enemies your lose all of your previously built up momentum. But if you POMP off of the enemies your keep all your momentum! Long jump into a Goomba POMP feels good man.

Wasn't it always like that in Mario games? At least the ones released over the past decade? I'm pretty sure that's the case, though not 100% sure. It was also pretty much a requirement for S8-Crown, no?

So I'm really enjoying this game, but something really bugs me and I can't get it out of my head. So in one level part way through you get plopped down into a big open grassy field with trees and bushes and the camera is positioned just perfectly for you to see how bad the draw distance is on these objects, how did they think that looked okay? This plus a similar thing happening in WWHD on the islands in the distance leads me to wonder if Nintendo has even figured out that LOD systems are a thing. Not trying to sound bitchy or anything because I really am enjoying this game, but it really annoys me when a tree just a few yards away pops in out of nowhere, especially in a game released in 2013 when most games figured that out by 2004.

Xun

So I'm really enjoying this game, but something really bugs me and I can't get it out of my head. So in one level part way through you get plopped down into a big open grassy field with trees and bushes and the camera is positioned just perfectly for you to see how bad the draw distance is on these objects, how did they think that looked okay? This plus a similar thing happening in WWHD on the islands in the distance leads me to wonder if Nintendo has even figured out that LOD systems are a thing. Not trying to sound bitchy or anything because I really am enjoying this game, but it really annoys me when a tree just a few yards away pops in out of nowhere, especially in a game released in 2013 when most games figured that out by 2004.
It's a dissapointing level graphically in my eyes, I thought the same thing.

It's a shame, but since everything else in the game is top notch it doesn't bother me too much.

Yondy604

Banned
I guess i might be one of the few people who thought this game was easily the most disappointing game of the year.

I am about 80% through it now, and I can honestly say that this game is simply not in the same world as any of the mario 3d games before it.

I Wanted to love this game, I kept saying in my head this is AMAZING, this is AWESOME!, but I was lieing to myself.

It's a "good" game, The graphics are very nice, but poor draw distances hurt the visuals, not a big deal. The controls are fine, no issues with the run button, but I found sometimes grabbing a star which looks like it's in the middle, but when u jump on it, it's a TAD up or a TAD down, dropping to your death frustrating.

Another problem is the very SHORT stages, some take a few mins to beat, and this is me going at a normal pace, if I ran through half the stages, I am sure I can beat half of them in 45 seconds or less.
This game reminds me of a 3d expansion back for the old 2d mario games, the stages are clever but nothing jaw dropping.

Honestly the ONLY stages that made me go WOW was when I had to Blow into my gamepad, and the JUMP thing flips stage (killed me many times).

I am disappointed, I am sure you guys will rip into me, I am a HUGE nintendo fanboy, but this game is the most disappointing game of the year for me.

CDX

Just got to the part where you
unlock Rosalina

Besides the flags, which only show you who last completed the level or who got a gold flag. Is there somewhere I can view ALL of the characters that completed each level?

"Finished" the game earlier. Outside of the levels during the last 2 worlds I found the game pretty dull. The post game is pretty satisfying so far though and my opinion on the whole is improving. I wish a more balanced difficulty curve could be achieved

Lebon14

All this time from reveal in E3 up to until I started playing the game, I was kinda doubtful. Did World 1 and 2 in one sitting and... WOW. Just WOW. This is game really darn good so far. I don't regret asking the game for christmas.

Also... <3 Cat Peach.

Dr.Hadji

This game reminds me of a 3d expansion back for the old 2d mario games, the stages are clever but nothing jaw dropping.

Honestly, can we try to cut down on these message board "buzz words". Your use of "expansion pack" doesn't even make sense here. But if you mean the game feels like a 2D Mario in 3D then yah that is kind of the conceit of the game.

As for you levels critique, yah I can see where you're coming from (though I can't agree with you). Compared to Galaxy, 3D Land levels aesthetics aren't ornate, and are often times flat. And without gravity antics, various simple platforming challenges could appear to be mundane to some.

But really though, I don't think the brevity and the concentration of 3D World's levels (or even its source material Bros. 3) lends itself very well to even give you the time for moments "jaw dropping". It's quick pace and level design that leans on theme and variation of previous concepts and challenges paints a mental picture across multiple levels and worlds. And you're right, its a very 2D Mario concept. I guess its one you don't like or at least don't like it in the 3D game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
All this time from reveal in E3 up to until I started playing the game, I was kinda doubtful. Did World 1 and 2 in one sitting and... WOW. Just WOW. This is game really darn good so far. I don't regret asking the game for christmas.

Also... <3 Cat Peach.

If you're saying wow now, wait til you play the next worlds. Great stuff ahead.

Almost got every star and stamp for mushroom world. Want to get everything before I move on. I hope the next world isn't just remixes and harder versions of earlier levels.

Madouu

Yes this has bothered me too. It's just a minor issue though, it will be much more annoying if the same thing is present in a game like Zelda Musou...

Zing

Banned
If you're holding a Koopa Shell and hit ZL, you go inside the shell and spin! Amazing.
Watch all of the title screen animations for examples of all the moves in the game.

So I'm really enjoying this game, but something really bugs me and I can't get it out of my head. So in one level part way through you get plopped down into a big open grassy field with trees and bushes and the camera is positioned just perfectly for you to see how bad the draw distance is on these objects, how did they think that looked okay? Not trying to sound bitchy or anything because I really am enjoying this game, but it really annoys me when a tree just a few yards away pops in out of nowhere, especially in a game released in 2013 when most games figured that out by 2004.
I played through that level several times and have not noticed this at all. I was too busy chasing rabbits, looking for stars before the timer expired, or racing a ghost Mii.

Zing

Banned
Can you imagine anyone back in 1991 saying "yeah Mario 3 is clever but nothing jaw dropping", or "MegaMan 2 is just an expansion pack"? No, of course not.We just played and enjoyed the games instead of nitpicking on forums about "draw distance"* after having the game spoiled for us by trailers and YouTube.

* "draw distance"… DRAW DISTANCE? This is what people are resorting to now? Complaining of draw distance in a Mario platforming game?

chris3116

I'm playing the game. I'm about to begin World 6. Man this game is so awesome. Many people said that the music didn't beat Galaxy's music. For me, it does. I have the same WOW factor that I had when Galaxy 1 came out.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Just got the game for Christmas.

....Am I in for a treat, GAF?
Got the game for christmas too, only completed the first two worlds... I'm really impressed by the game, under the "3D Land expansion pak lulz" coating there's a lot a fresh and surprising stuff.

Can you imagine anyone back in 1991 saying "yeah Mario 3 is clever but nothing jaw dropping", or "MegaMan 2 is just an expansion pack"? No, of course not.We just played and enjoyed the games instead of nitpicking on forums about "draw distance"* after having the game spoiled for us by trailers and YouTube.

How old are you really? Sounds like posturing. People talked about graphics just as much.

And Mario 3 was incredibly more refined in that respect than previous games.

Just played through World 1-3 with my two nieces on Christmas Day. It was technically my present, but I knew they'd love it. Can't wait until Rosalina gets unlocked. Some of the stages where a little difficult for the younger one, but she was able to bubble through most of it and still seemed to enjoy it a lot. The look on their faces when they realised we could all play it together was pretty fantastic. They've been used to sharing the 3DS, one watching the other play every Sunday! The sooner Mario Kart comes out the better.

Just got the game for Christmas.

....Am I in for a treat, GAF?

q3Fax0E.gif

Enjoy! :)

Top Bottom