• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Roo

Dammit all...guess I'll have to use Nunchuk, then. That seems like such a stupid issue to have considering you can swap the button combos in the NSMB series.
Using a Wii Remote+Nunchuk is very VERY comfortable. The button layout is basically the same as the Galaxy games except for the B button but you'll find out. I can't recommend enough these two. Hope you notice how awesome it is to play this game with them.

Weilthain

Banned
This is my new fav Mario game of all time. Up there with Mario 3 and world in my books. I just love how well 2d Mario plays in 3d, its like my favoirate game come to life.

krae_man

step 1) grab every extra controller you have
step 2) complete level but don't grab the flag
step 3) join in with all the other characters
step 4) grab the flag

you only ever need to hit the top of the flagpole with one character so the rest are easy

Man I wish I figured this out earlier. Sucks that I only have two wiimotes. Ah well, this will at least cut my remaining time in half.

Thanks.

Gartooth

step 4) grab the flag

you only ever need to hit the top of the flagpole with one character so the rest are easy

I didn't realize this until I completed every level in the game twice, but hey going through it a 3rd time wasn't too bad. For positioning the characters, put them all around the base of the flag and then tap all their jump buttons and they will lock in and grab it. Additionally, you can just control a character, have them grab another one, and then jump so they both touch the flagpole together. (then do the same with the other pair) As far as Mystery Houses, just ping in the other characters before entering the box for the final challenge. Go ahead and get the last green star, and the level will count as completed for all.

TWILT

Banned
Just got my Wii U two days and been having a blast with this game. Fantastic game; definitely one of my top contenders for GotY thus far. Just beat World 6, and it's definitely one of the best Mario games I've played since Galaxy 2.

Weilthain

Banned
step 4) grab the flag

Neat little way to cheat it, but if I burn out on the game before I've done it with all four characters I'll just leave it at that.

To those of you trying to 100% it - BUT ARENT ENJOYING YOURSELVES - just play something else! Let go of the compulsive behaviour and try to have some fun. Games are supposed to be fun.

no one gives a shit that you have 5 stars next to your file save or whatever it is. And neither should you if you've stopped enjoying the game.

Bumhat

Neat little way to cheat it, but if I burn out on the game before I've done it with all four characters I'll just leave it at that.

To those of you trying to 100% it - BUT ARENT ENJOYING YOURSELVES - just play something else! Let go of the compulsive behaviour and try to have some fun. Games are supposed to be fun.

no one gives a shit that you have 5 stars next to your file save or whatever it is. And neither should you if you've stopped enjoying the game.

Couldn't agree with this more - I have just finished
Champion Road
and have got every level's stamp, all the stars, and have got the golden flag on each level. This for me is 100%, simply because the idea of redoing the same levels with different characters when there's nothing new to unlock or collect is just arrrrgh.

Final level spoilers:

Dear god Champion Road was absolutely horrendous, I literally spent about six consecutive hours trying to beat it. Even worse, when I finally got to the end I managed to miss the top of the flag like a complete chump and, in a moment of sheer insanity, decided to immediately do the level again just to do it 'properly'. I feel like such a tool!

Incidentally did anyone find it a lot worse than Grandmaster Galaxy from SMG 2? Champion Road felt a lot cheaper to me and I was more relieved than satisfied when it was done. The final mystery house was also beyond frustrating!

Overall however it is an astonishing game, really loved it. I still prefer SMG 2 but given that's probably my favourite game of the last generation it's not surprising.

javac

Still haven't completed
Champion's Road.
Shame on me. Although to be fair I haven't played for the past week or so.

Champion's road!!!!

:shakes fist:

Put this up the other day in celebration of Mario being a creep.

mVXg5m8.jpg

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqFm6XN-nw

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I love how the Invincibility Suit basically doesn't mean shit in this game. Sure, it helps ya with spikes and enemies but the big issues come from the platforming itself and you're left alone with your skills as with a normal Tanooki suit

javac

I love how the Invincibility Suit basically doesn't mean shit in this game. Sure, it helps ya with spikes and enemies but the big issues come from the platforming itself and you're left alone with your skills as with a normal Tanooki suit

And it leaves you with the shame of no sparkly stars! I never touched it and never will -_-

Dr.Hadji

Just played the first of the secret levels. Too good. The lumberjack log rolling level is absolutely genius in multiplayer. When 3D World gets down to business, when it comes to 3D platforming, not much else can stand up to it.

Regiruler

Ugh. Gone through King Ka-Thunk's Castle about 6 times now and I still can't find the third green star. (If you answer me spoil it).

Much better boss fights in this game, though.

Currygan

Ugh. Gone through King Ka-Thunk's Castle about 6 times now and I still can't find the third green star. (If you answer me spoil it).

Much better boss fights in this game, though.

gotta need that Catsuit mate,
right before the teleporting block

Dark-VIII

Champion's Road
is harder than 3D Land's finale but much much easier than SMG2's which was truly nightmarish.

i disagree here
it took me 70 tries to defeat that level in SMG2
i just wasted 100 lives trying to get the first green star in SM3DW

this is the hardest challenge i have encountered in a Mario Game before!

Rehynn

Champion Road DONE. Fuck. Yes. No powerups either. Game 100%'d with Mario.
Solid 8/10, worst 3D Mario, but still a very good game.

zlCfzRTtMkQ31XzYcf

Roo

Now why would I want to do that to myself? (Maybe later, I'd love to do it in multiplayer though.)

Oh, well, in case you really want to 100% the game, you need to play as those to unlock the final 4 stamps.
A few stages require certain characters to unlock stars and/or new stamps.
You don't need to do it right now, of course.
Besides, it'll be easier and quicker since you only have to go from the start to the flag pole.

Sagitario

I got so excited that I finally cleared Champion's Road (after hours and hours and more hours since last week) that I literally fainted/passed out. Good thing my family was home.
It's both funny and worrying and I still can't believe it happened. One minute I was playing Mario and the next I was unconscious on the floor. Chest started to hurt (I felt some pain and hollowness) and then I don't remember anything. I hit my head and lower back. When I woke up, I didn't know where I was... I thought it was a dream, everything was white.

At least it's done.

I don't feel like playing Mario games for a good while. What an odd way to finish this game. It feels strange.

hao chi

I played a friend's copy of this game today, and holy fuck this game is good. It really took me by surprise how entertaining this game is, and there's just so many laughs to be had playing this game in coop. I don't even generally like Mario games as much as most people, I mean, I consider them to be good to pretty good games (I especially liked Mario 64), but in general I don't hold them in as high a regard as many gamers. With that being said, this game feels like it could be a GOTY contender after I finish it as well as the rest of the best games from this year that I haven't played/finished yet.

My brother and his wife are getting here tonight to visit for about a week or so, and I'm really tempted to go out and get a copy and a second Pro controller so we can all play coop.

It really seems like a missed opportunity with the lack of online though. I feel like this game could have been huge if they included it. I know personally I tend to shy away from games with coop if I don't have anybody else to play with since I generally consider coop to be the most entertaining way to play games when it's available, and online would help so much with enabling more people to play coop whenever they want. I really hope they'll make a sequel and include online.

maxcriden

Finally up to
Broken Blue Bully Belt.
It's my wife's turn and she's been finding it pretty tough. It does look quite difficult from where I'm sitting. We've been busy with NES Remix and Kirby's Epic Yarn, and we were on vacation before that. Looking forward to getting to more levels though!

Oidisco

I finished this game a couple weeks ago yet I find myself playing almost every day, even if it's just for 10 or 20 minutes. I've never done that with a Mario game before. Hell I only finished the Galaxy games once. Was never able to replay them, despite trying several times.

I think this re-affirms my opinion that 3D World is by far the best Mario game yet!

I played the co-op last night for the first time with one of my friends, and it was super fun. Surprisingly so. I hadn't laughed that hard in a long time on some of the more challenging stages, and we'd troll each other by tossing them off a moving platform. Good times, good times. I've even decided I'm going to just wait and only play Mario 3D World when I'm with my friend because i was so much more entertaining than when solo (still great fun when by yourself, of course).

Skyzard

Banned
I only just discovered today that in multiplayer if one player crouches down and another player jumps on them the crouched player throws them up into the air for a boosted jump, between this and jumping out of the hands of a jumping player who's also carrying you there's numerous ways of boosting other players jumps outside of a good old headbounce.

Also co-op champions road is the devourer of lives.

That's awesome, I was hoping for co-op moves, I thought they skipped them entirely.

I got so excited that I finally cleared Champion's Road (after hours and hours and more hours since last week) that I literally fainted/passed out. Good thing my family was home.
It's both funny and worrying and I still can't believe it happened. One minute I was playing Mario and the next I was unconscious on the floor. Chest started to hurt (I felt some pain and hollowness) and then I don't remember anything. I hit my head and lower back. When I woke up, I didn't know where I was... I thought it was a dream, everything was white.

At least it's done.

I don't feel like playing Mario games for a good while. What an odd way to finish this game. It feels strange.

That sounds a tiny bit worrying! Especially the chest hurting...careful playing next time.

A few years back my friends used to come round and I'd have the Wii out. We'd play till quite late and when we took turns playing Mario Galaxy, one friend would usually end up asleep while holding the controller just out of tiredness. We'd all be looking at the screen and notice he hasn't been too active in a while and see he's got his eyes closed while barely holding the wii remote and nunchuck.

He never passed out though! Sounds like you pushed yourself too hard? Damn Nintendo.

At least it's done.

sounds like you aren't very healthy. maybe go to the doctor

Roo

Finally up to
Broken Blue Bully Belt.
It's my wife's turn and she's been finding it pretty tough. It does look quite difficult from where I'm sitting. We've been busy with NES Remix and Kirby's Epic Yarn, and we were on vacation before that. Looking forward to getting to more levels though!

The section with missing blocks and rotating spikes is very tricky.
Using Tanooki suit, I always landed on the center of those rotating spikes platforms instead of using the blocks.
After that, it only requires a little bit of patience since some platforms and enemies are time-based.

Currygan

At least it's done.

I believe it's nothing to be worried about, but go check a doc, it's probably low blood pressure due to stress and the CR session certainly didn't help

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Might want to see a doctor and get an ECG done.

I believe it's nothing to be worried about, but go check a doc, it's probably low blood pressure due to stress and the CR session certainly didn't help

Low blood pressure due to stress? stress hormones cause vasoconstriction of the vessels leading to increased BP. Anybody who gets chest pain should have it checked out though

gotoadgo

What was getting you? I'm assuming its the final section? The timing on the blocks could be annoying, the speed pads were devilish.
We'll I refused to use any suits so that didn't help but there was a point where I completely lost my timing for the piranha plant jumps and would always lose a hit there or die altogether. If I lost a hit I was one stuff up on the speed pads away from death. I eventually got to that point where you should stop playing but don't out of stubbornness too.

plufim

Fucking love this game.

If we get a Super Luigi U style map pack, I've got my fingers crossed for a Wario/Waluigi/Daisy/Toadette team.

Top Bottom