• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

BowieZ

Banned
Well since people are starting to talk about things I have no idea about lol, I'm gonna talk more about the music, since Mario music is so special to me and the SMG2 soundtrack was the impetus for me signing up to GAF last year.

So I started investigating the soundtrack release, and I spent an hour or so today making a list of all the original content the entire game's soundtrack has -- which means excluding 100% identical music from the SMG1 soundtrack (and while I'm at it I arranged it roughly in the same way that the 2-disc collection will undoubtedly do -- CD1 is orchestral, CD2 is synth), but it's still only 64 tracks. For those who are following, have I missed any?

SPOILERS, using track titles from various YouTube uploads...
1-01 Title Screen
1-02 Prologue
1-03 Sky Station Galaxy 1
1-04 Sky Station Galaxy 2
1-05 Starship Mario 1
1-06 Starship Mario 2
1-07 Starship Mario 3
1-08 Yoshi Star Galaxy
1-09 Fluffy Bluff Galaxy
1-10 Puzzle Plank Galaxy
1-11 Cosmic Cove Galaxy (may be synth)
1-12 Wild Glide Galaxy (aka Glider)
1-13 Honeybloom Galaxy
1-14 Haunty Halls Galaxy
1-15 Starshine Beach Galaxy
1-16 Space Storm Galaxy
1-17 Slipsand Galaxy
1-18 Fleet Glide Galaxy
1-19 Melty Molten Galaxy
1-20 Throwback Galaxy
1-21 Bowser Jr's Fiery Flotilla
1-22 Gobblegut Battle
1-23 Hurry!
1-24 Bowser's Lava Lair
1-25 Bowser Battle
1-26 Bowser's Galaxy Generator
1-27 Final Bowser Battle
1-28 Ending
1-29 Staff Roll (aka Credits)
1-30 Epilogue
1-31 Trailer Fanfare & Theme (possibly?)

2-01 "Lubba's Theme"
2-02 Worlds 1-2
2-03 World 3
2-04 World 4
2-05 World 5
2-06 World 6
2-07 World S
2-08 First Footsteps on Starship Mario (as yet unavailable)
2-09 Spin-Dig Galaxy
2-10 Rightside Down Galaxy
2-11 Flip-Swap Galaxy
2-12 Hightail Falls Galaxy (as yet unavailable)
2-13 The Woods (aka Tall Trunk/Wild Glide Galaxy)
2-14 Slider 2010
2-15 Supermassive Galaxy (aka Super Mario 2010)
2-16 Freezy Flake Galaxy
2-17 Beat Block Galaxy (as yet unavailable)
2-18 Flipsville Galaxy
2-19 Starshine Beach Galaxy (Underwater)
2-20 Sweet Mystery Galaxy
2-21 Slimy Spring Galaxy
2-22 Mini-Game
2-23 Bonus Zone (as yet unavailable)
2-24 Cosmic Clones
2-25 Danger Ahead!
2-26 Peewee Piranha Battle
2-27 Digga-Leg Battle
2-28 Glamdozer Battle
2-29 Bowser Jr. Battle
2-30 Unknown song (see YouTube)
2-31 Unknown song (see YouTube)
2-32 Unknown song (see YouTube)
2-33 Unknown/Good Egg Galaxy remix (not on YouTube)

So that means the remaining 6 are either going to be "fast" versions of existing (boss) themes, perhaps bonus Yoshi percussion editions of certain tracks, or indeed six pieces from SMG1 will make a return. And those are most likely 6 of these in order of likelihood:

Good Egg Galaxy
Gusty Garden Galaxy
Buoy Base Galaxy
Bowser's Galaxy Reactor
Comet Observatory
Gateway Galaxy
Meeting Bowser
Bugaboom Battle
Tarantox Battle
Major Burrows Battle
Bouldergeist Battle
Bowser Jr. Battle
Arrival on the Starship
You Got A Grand Star Fanfare
Shiverburn Galaxy
Purple Coin Theme
Chasing Bunnies
Toad's Starshroom

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HK-47 said:
Starshine Beach was awesome. You know whats not awesome? Lack of slide for quick movement.

Hell SMG had a bunch of really good stages that were structured like SMS.
I liked it as a sort of nod to the more sandboxy levels of previous Mario games and as a general mix-up to the formula.

So, yeah, it regard to what surrounds it, the level was great, but I certainly wouldn't have liked a whole game structured like it. The enjoyment I got from it was very different from most of the other galaxies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oh thats reminds me. Space Storm galaxy was awesome. The
super fast Buoy Base + topmen + the time effect
was amazing.

Yeef

I finished the game earlier tonight. Random thoughts to follow:

Phenomenal game, but I think I enjoyed the first one more. The
special levels
are a lot of fun though. So far the only star that gave me any real trouble was the prankster one at
Chompworks
. Took me maybe five or six tries, but I suspect the
Mario Squared
prankster one will be even more annoying.

The music at
Clockwork Ruins
is great. I was disappointed with
Throwback Galaxy. There are much better stages that they could have picked from Mario 64.

I only have 92 stars so far, but I suspect I'll get the rest of them before the weekend is over.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
One thing I miss from Galaxy is the Comsic Races. Are there none of them later? The Cosmic Luigi stars were some of the best in the game. Or have they just been relegated to the ghost feature?

And while I like the level
there were so many better levels to choose from SM64. Gimme Rainbow Ride or Tick Tock Clock or Wet-Dry World. Something thats SM64 but still a bit different than stuff already in SMG2.

Peff

HK-47 said:
One thing I miss from Galaxy is the Comsic Races. Are there none of them later? The Cosmic Luigi stars were some of the best in the game. Or have they just been relegated to the ghost feature?

Yep, no races this time

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HK-47 said:
no cosmic races. :(

on the plus side, only a handful of purple coins and they're all unique, none are just RUN AROUND HONEYHIVE FOR A WHILE BE CAREFUL NOT TO FALLLOL

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rez said:
no cosmic races. :(

on the plus side, only a handful of purple coins and they're all unique, none are just RUN AROUND HONEYHIVE FOR A WHILE BE CAREFUL NOT TO FALLLOL

Honeyhive's purple coins were awesome. You could really speed run it. Freezeflame was the PC collection star that made me nervous. That climb up the mountain was brutal. I would like a PC like that. Its different, so one of the them isnt a bad idea. Melty Molten's was fantastic. I still think SMG had good variation on the PCs despite having so many.

I can't believe that dude is an award-winner. I haven't played SMG2 so I'm not going to comment on the actual opinion further than that it looks like standard "lol Nitnendo iz 4 kiddies" tripe. But the man can't write. "You portray Mario"? Portray? Really? I can just imagine this dude sat in his backlit bedroom asking the ether what his motivation is.

"Me and Mario go way back."

I'm on page 2, I don't know if I'll make it to 5.

Edit: Oh good, it stops there. The pretentious cunt seems to have found his motivation. "Rescue fantasy." If I ever reach a point in my life where I seriously consider the psychological deficiencies of the Super Mario cast, shoot me dead. I'm sorry but I'd wager this man was shown Ass Smoothies as a 5-year old because this is innocence lost.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SMG1 did have a fair amount of variety in PC, but the 'collect 100 of these coins randomly scattered around this large playground' just seemed so lazy to me. Although the long jump of the peak was amazing.

I much preferred, say, the Autumn version of Honeyhive (Gold Leaf or something?) PC challenge.

Lijik

Nexus Zero said:
I can't believe that dude is an award-winner. I haven't played SMG2 so I'm not going to comment on the actual opinion further than that it looks like standard "lol Nitnendo iz 4 kiddies" tripe. But the man can't write. "You portray Mario"? Portray? Really? I can just imagine this dude sat in his backlit bedroom asking the ether what his motivation is.

"Me and Mario go way back."

I'm on page 2, I don't know if I'll make it to 5.

Edit: Oh good, it stops there. The pretentious cunt seems to have found his motivation. "Rescue fantasy." If I ever reach a point in my life where I seriously consider the psychological deficiencies of the Super Mario cast, shoot me dead. I'm sorry but I'd wager this man was shown Ass Smoothies as a 5-year old because this is innocence lost.
doug_elfman.jpg

Pretend the glasses come down and it says deal with it. I'd make it myself but Im about to pass out and go to sleep

BowieZ

Banned
Rez said:
I much preferred, say, the Autumn version of Honeyhive (Gold Leaf or something?) PC challenge.
Gold Leaf Galaxy
Autumn version of
Honeyhive Galaxy
(Today, 04:30 AM)
Reply | Quote

znwk02.png

I mean, did they have to make that one a 6-star galaxy and Buoy Base 2-star?

mutsu

I preordered the Japanese version of the game from Play-Asia back in 20th April, and the game just released yesterday in Japan. I was wondering why I still haven't received my shipping notification, so I checked their site and the game is currently back ordered! What the...

This is the first time I have preordered a game from Play-Asia and getting this treatment... does this mean the game is actually selling very well in Japan that they don't have enough to fill preorders?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BowieZ said:
Gold Leaf Galaxy
Autumn version of
Honeyhive Galaxy
(Today, 04:30 AM)
Reply | Quote

znwk02.png

I mean, did they have to make that one a 6-star galaxy and Buoy Base 2-star?

Gold Leaf was awesome. And while Buoy Base was awesome, it really wasnt fit for a full 6 star galaxy. The reason question is why the fuck wasnt Matter Splatter a 6 star galaxy? The concept could carry a full game. But so far in 2 all I've seen of it is Bulb Yoshi and those creepy floor munching skulls (both really cool though).

BowieZ

Banned
HK-47 said:
Gold Leaf was awesome. And while Buoy Base was awesome, it really wasnt fit for a full 6 star galaxy. The reason question is why the fuck wasnt Matter Splatter a 6 star galaxy?
Wasn't fit for? But wouldn't it have been fit for 6 stars had they extended the concept? What if the whole buoy base structure was a buoy in an even bigger, meta Buoy Base? That would have been epic! Oh, yeah, and scatter some Purple Coins and swimming tasks and shit around somewhere.

EDIT: This is my point, and is one reason why Galaxy 2 is better: if it ever reuses any ideas or concepts, it's given a one-off treatment (one-star galaxies) versus fresher ideas (two-star). Galaxy 1 simply got that backwards a few times, bizarrely! ... as enjoyable as Sea Slide and Gold Leaf were.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
L00P said:
Okay, that ending for Slimy Spring Galaxy was just plain fantastic:lol
one of the best one-off moments in the game <3

Andrex said:
Yeah, I think that was being discussed before SMG2 even released and we came to that conclusion (or at least, Amir0x did (something about Dire Dire Docks was posted), and I agreed with him.)

But even still, it's just a difference in design priorities. Most of Super Mario 64 is extremely open-ended. Most of the Super Mario Galaxies are extremely linear.

I think we can see in action today which is the superior approach to platformers.

You just described why Mario 64 is not a platformer and should not be described as such. There's a very important distinction between action-adventure collectathons (Banjo series, Mario 64 and Sunshine), and the true blue 3D platformers (Galaxy is really the first game I can think of to do this properly). If everyone just stopped to think about the words they were using, they'd realize that Mario 64 had very little platforming in it. But I guess by now, people have disassociated the word with its actual meaning. My point is, Mario 64 is not the most logical 3D extension of the 2D Mario games. Mario 64 placed an emphasis on exploration, solving puzzles, and discovering secrets, whereas the 2D games placed an emphasis on the skillful traversal of difficult terrain. Galaxy was the first 3D Mario game to bring back this philosophy.

I think both genres are brilliant, but I think that the linear formula is a better fit for Mario. However, I don't think I want Super Mario Galaxy 3 at this point. I'd rather them reground the series a little bit. Throw out the gravity puzzles, planetoids, purposely disorienting camera, and make the game like Mario 64, only linear and with more platforming. I feel like after Galaxy 1 came out, I realized that no one had ever really made an actual 3D platformer, and now I feel like we need to retrace our steps a bit and go make the game that never was.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
in mario 64 you achieve goals by traversing sandbox-like environments that are specifically designed to take advantage of the various aerobatic moves at your disposal.

Platformer.

Rez said:
in mario 64 you achieve goals by traversing sandbox-like environments that are specifically designed to take advantage of the various aerobatic moves at your disposal.

Platformer.

to me, a platformer involves more actual jumping than Mario 64 had. And while Mario 64 definitely had more of that than, say, banjo-kazooie, it still was not at the forefront of the gameplay. Look at a level like bob-omb battlefield or shifting sand land. they're both just vast expanses of land with secrets to discover. not tons of acrobatics going on there, especially not compared to Galaxy.

inFAMOUS also had you achieve goals by traversing sandbox-like environments that are specifically designed to take advantage of the various aerobatic moves at your disposal. hell, so is Zelda, if you're gonna be that vague in your definition.

BowieZ

Banned
autobzooty said:
My point is, Mario 64 is not the most logical 3D extension of the 2D Mario games.
This is indeed true, although Mario 64 is about as platform-heavy and as linear as you can get in an "open-ended collect-a-thon" form of platformer.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
autobzooty said:
You just described why Mario 64 is not a platformer and should not be described as such. There's a very important distinction between action-adventure collectathons (Banjo series, Mario 64 and Sunshine), and the true blue 3D platformers (Galaxy is really the first game I can think of to do this properly). If everyone just stopped to think about the words they were using, they'd realize that Mario 64 had very little platforming in it. But I guess by now, people have disassociated the word with its actual meaning. My point is, Mario 64 is not the most logical 3D extension of the 2D Mario games. Mario 64 placed an emphasis on exploration, solving puzzles, and discovering secrets, whereas the 2D games placed an emphasis on the skillful traversal of difficult terrain. Galaxy was the first 3D Mario game to bring back this philosophy.

Sorry, guess I'm rambling and stating the obvious. I think both genres are brilliant, but I think that the linear formula is a better fit for Mario. However, I don't think I want Super Mario Galaxy 3 at this point. I'd rather them reground the series a little bit. Throw out the gravity puzzles, planetoids, purposely disorienting camera, and make the game like Mario 64, only linear and with more platforming. I feel like after Galaxy 1 came out, I realized that no one had ever really made an actual 3D platformer, and now I feel like we need to retrace our steps a bit and go make the game that never was.

Whether or not you like them, 64, Banjo and Sunshine is definitely platformer. There is a tons of emphasis on jumping alone. Sunshine still has the best 3D platforming ever in the secret stages. Galaxy is a fusion of the two. Just because 2D platforming came first doesnt mean its the only type that defines it. And guess what? Most of the exploration in those games is done through platforming!

And no, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 have such good level design and the gravity and spherical world concepts works so well it should be the standard. The seamless perspective shifts in Galaxy 2 are simply mindblowing. An old school retrace couldnt stand up to it.

BowieZ

Banned
autobzooty said:
I don't think I want Super Mario Galaxy 3 at this point. I'd rather them reground the series a little bit. Throw out the gravity puzzles, planetoids, purposely disorienting camera, and make the game like Mario 64, only linear and with more platforming. I feel like after Galaxy 1 came out, I realized that no one had ever really made an actual 3D platformer, and now I feel like we need to retrace our steps a bit and go make the game that never was.
Agree 100% with all of this. Now I know why we like each other. :lol

Although as I've said before, I think the spherical planet technology needs to be expanded further into one large planet full of linear levels with ever-changing horizons, rather than stepping backwards into the era of large-blocks-of-land-with-invisible-walls-floating-in-oblivion.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
autobzooty said:
to me, a platformer involves more actual jumping than Mario 64 had. And while Mario 64 definitely had more of that than, say, banjo-kazooie, it still was not at the forefront of the gameplay. Look at a level like bob-omb battlefield or shifting sand land. they're both just vast expanses of land with secrets to discover. not tons of acrobatics going on there, especially not compared to Galaxy.
I think 'platforming' extends beyond just jumping. The way a character moves around an environment, and the feedback we get back from it, whether as a result of a button-press, sound-effect or cool animation, is EVERYTHING. Even in those levels, you're still essentially moving Mario around an environment and dodging obstacles using the very specifically designed control-scheme and receiving the appropriate audio-visual feedback as a result.

Dodging chainchomps, climbing trees, shooting from cannons and sliding down hills in Bombomb Battlefield is about as pure a platforming experience as you can get, really.

HK-47 said:
Whether or not you like them, 64, Banjo and Sunshine is definitely platformer. There is a tons of emphasis on jumping alone. Sunshine still has the best 3D platforming ever in the secret stages. Galaxy is a fusion of the two. Just because 3D platforming came first doesnt mean its the only type that defines it. And guess what? Most of the exploration in those games is done through platforming!

And no, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 have such good level design and the gravity and spherical world concepts works so well it should be the standard. The seamless perspective shifts in Galaxy 2 are simply mindblowing. An old school retrace couldnt stand up to it.

I love all three of those games, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to argue which is better or worse, i'm just arguing semantics, basically.

i definitely agree that Sunshine's special stages are the finest 3D platforming ever, but it's pretty clear that those stages are fundamentally different from the rest of the game. and while you do explore the rest of the world by jumping, you're not exactly at risk of falling at any point in the main sunshine stages. you'll hop up to a ledge perhaps, but there's no risk or skill involved in doing so. you can jump around to explore environments in World of Warcraft, but that doesn't make it a platformer.

personally, while i never got sick of the space mechanics while playing Galaxy 2, i've pretty much had my fill. any more and i'm gonna start to get fed up with it. spherical worlds never really impressed me, they just made the camera tilt at a rather sickening angle. if Galaxy becomes Mario's new standard for adventuring, i don't think it'll take long for people to grow tired of it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
see, now WoW would be an example of a game that doesn't have the appropriate control/feedback to be classified as a platformer.

Rez said:
I think 'platforming' extends beyond just jumping. The way a character moves around an environment, and the feedback we get back from it, whether as a result of a button-press, sound-effect or cool animation, is EVERYTHING. Even in those levels, you're still essentially moving Mario around an environment and dodging obstacles using the very specifically designed control-scheme and receiving the appropriate audio-visual feedback as a result.

Dodging chainchomps, climbing trees, shooting from cannons and sliding down hills in Bombomb Battlefield is about as pure a platforming experience as you can get, really.

This is all true, you may have a point....

But the part that just doesn't sit right in my head is how Mario 64 is the 3D version of Super Mario World. I guess maybe I just don't think the environments are dense enough for it to be classified the same way. Sure there are moments where you slide down hills or dodge chain chomps or whathaveyou, but overwhelmingly, you were jogging along and exploring to find secrets. In SMW, the entire game was built around navigating those sorts of challenges. Maybe if they had filled up the giant levels they created with more enemies/challenges, i'd feel differently.

I wouldn't mind seeing that game get made, i guess. though i doubt we'll ever revisit that formula with Mario again.

Amir0x

Banned
Super Mario 64 is definitely a platformer. It's got a different focus in terms of level design, but that doesn't mean it stops being a platformer. I think it's a relatively mediocre platformer by today's standards, but it is still a platformer.

Shizzlee

I have been playing all night and got a shitload of stars, and now I'm stuck :( I was wondering if anyone could tell me
where the second green star in Fleet Glide Galaxy is.

Oh wait, shit, nvm I got it ^.^

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
117 stars.

I can't even get the Comet Coin in
the bird level

Sad:lol

There's two levels of that.
That one with the second gate you have to veer sharply to the left around the circular rocket body
did suck a little.
Even with the line of star bits, it didn't look like there was anything that way, then you have a tight turn to get back to the actual track.

One thing about the Comet Coins in relation to the actual comets is that I think they're key to certain comet themes. I had a bunch of different comets already unlocked for a while, and I cleared the majority of those out, but there was one particular coin I missed, then once I got it,
it kept giving me Purple Coin Challenge after Purple Coin Challenge, a new one every time I'd beat the last.
So I evidently missed a "key" coin for that theme.

zigg

Kulock said:
There's two levels of that.
That one with the second gate you have to veer sharply to the left around the circular rocket body
did suck a little.
Even with the line of star bits, it didn't look like there was anything that way, then you have a tight turn to get back to the actual track.

There's also
a flashing purple track on the ground
. That one took us a bit to find, though, too...

dkeane

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
117 stars.

I can't even get the Comet Coin in
the bird level

Sad:lol
I was trying to get it last night, it's right at the end of the level in a glass ball. The dumb bird just bounced off it. I also tried shooting it with bits. How the fuck do I get it?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
dkeane said:
I was trying to get it last night, it's right at the end of the level in a glass ball. The dumb bird just bounced off it. I also tried shooting it with bits. How the fuck do I get it?
You have to
pass through the five gates in the stage
, then the glass breaks at the end and you can grab it.

dkeane said:

I know how, haven't done it though.

I guess
you have to let that mole or whatever fire that cannon ball at the glass to break it and somehow get him to aim that way and still have time to get it

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dkeane said:
fly through all five gates

edit: beaten, and with a spoiler tag. better add one myself, I guess.

zigg

dkeane said:

Fly through all the gates and the ball will open.

insin

Neo Member
Kard8p3 said:
I'll just leave this here.
http://www.jconline.com/article/201...-t-possibly-be-good-enough-for-adults--can-it

Really though I don't understand how someone can think this.
Am I the only critic who thinks pointing-at-collectible-stars-all-the-time is off-putting and makes my right hand go numb after a few hours? I think I might be.
...this never-ceasing Wand-pointing business makes me want to play a different game in my spare time.
Am I the only reader imagining this guy holding his right hand straight out in front of his body, with arm fully extended, for the entire time he was playing SMG2? I think I might not be.

So it's nagging me too much to not say anything. Before, Galaxy or New SMB Wii didn't bother me in how they still used a lives system, I thought they worked fine, but I know other people complained. Here, though, it just makes no sense. The game hands them out like candy, but it doesn't save them. If you save and quit, or beat the game, your stock is lost and you're back down to 4 extra lives. Right when you start back up again, you're faced with the Mail Toad with a 5-Up (which was like that in Galaxy 1), and a few repetitive "chores" you can do to get more. (Go hit cube. Go to Toadship. Get on Yoshi and eat all the berries. Cloud Mario one's too much work to mess with regularly.) The game passes them out like candy, often three at a time, but the moment you stop playing, you're back to the default stock.

With this in mind, the gambling game flies in the face of logic, considering Star Bits and Coins save between sessions, but the lives you earn from the chance games don't, so unless you're planning a marathon it's pretty much a waste. True, I don't think the coins have any other purpose, but I'd rather keep filling up my coin count than blow them on a few temporary 1-Ups.

I will say that for getting 120 stars, I'm happy that I don't think I triggered the Cosmic Witch (at least, I never saw her). Figured I would on that level with Rock Mario
where you have to bounce back and forth on those elastic bands on the borderless track
, I even walked out of that stage with 700-some Star Bits, but I never saw her.

Top Bottom