• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

FTWer said:
Meh, the complete lack of difficulty that makes it a little kids game is the reason for me.
Pretty colors & shiny graphics don't do it for me when everything is as easy as a tutorial.
this is an obvious av-quote bait and i will resist it

rauru

Probably old news, but does anyone else think the planet and moon with the cloud in the youtube transmission pages look like Mario's head and nose with a moustache?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Mejilan said:
Wasn't too keen on the first dozen or so
green stars
, but now that I'm approaching
, they're starting to grow on me.
They've gone from "where the fuck are they?" stars to "I see you, but how the fuck do I get there? Cool!" stars. Man, this game keeps on delivering!

Glad to hear. I've been a bit reluctant to play again because I was worried it might just be a glorified game of hide and seek.

By the way, you probably should spoiler tag some of that. I took a stab at it in the quote above. :D

I would be pretty darn pissed if you spoiled that for me. :lol

Salsa

Just finished it (still have %100 percent completition to do).

Of course i fucking loved it.

In comparising to the first one, my thoughts:

This one was better as a gameplay experience and in level design, but i didnt get the same emotional epicness that i got from the first one, dont really know why, guess the wow factor wared a little off.

I love both.

Yeef

I just got the last of the stars only to find out that
there's a shitload of Green Stars to get now. I've gotten a few of them and they all seem fairly easy to me, but I think I'll probably take a break for a week or so before going for the rest of them.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
241 stars, so much for going slow with the green ones
. Time to stop because there's no fucking way I'll be able to
beat The Perfect Run
today, I played so much my fingers are stiff. :lol

Doorman

SalsaShark said:
Just finished it (still have %100 percent completition to do).

Of course i fucking loved it.

In comparising to the first one, my thoughts:

This one was better as a gameplay experience and in level design, but i didnt get the same emotional epicness that i got from the first one, dont really know why, guess the wow factor wared a little off.

I love both.

I think this is a good way to sum up my opinion for right now as well. The game feels less epic in everything but the actual playing through levels part, which is fantastic. I know that some of it is just the fact that you can't "wow" someone with the galaxy/gravity concept twice in a row, but for as much as people have made the point that story isn't important in Mario games, I do miss some of the tone that the first Galaxy carried. Maybe that's part of why the ending cinematic actually left me pleasantly surprised.

For playing purposes I like the faceship, but I also appreciated the feel of the comet observatory a little more, and the fact that they actually gave it a bit of backstory. I felt the same way about the storybook and the very end of Galaxy, with the Toad Brigade's promotion. I guess since I'm a fan of those little things that further enrich the Mario universe, I appreciated the amount of stuff they introduced, even if most of it got backstepped on for Galaxy 2. Sorry Lubba, but Rosalina is just a way more interesting sidekick character to have around.

WillyFive

FTWer said:
Meh, the complete lack of difficulty that makes it a little kids game is the reason for me.
Pretty colors & shiny graphics don't do it for me when everything is as easy as a tutorial.

For I moment I thought you were serious. Be careful when posting sarcasm, people may think it's real, and then you get a tag.

I appreciate the dialogue in this game more. The characters have the quirks and corny humor that I loved in Super Mario 64 that Galaxy almost completely lacked. While Galaxy had more "story", I definitely enjoy just going up to characters and pressing A to see what they say in this game. "The Chimp" feels like he was pulled right out of Super Mario 64 to me. Nostalgia is clouding my judgment, of course, but I do feel like this game has more of that quirkiness to it that the first lacked. The fat whats-his-face luma reminds me a lot of some of the Paper Mario characters in regards to the things he says. And I love Paper Mario.

jman2050

OrangeGrayBlue said:
I appreciate the dialogue in this game more. The characters have the quirks and corny humor that I loved in Super Mario 64 that Galaxy almost completely lacked. While Galaxy had more "story", I definitely enjoy just going up to characters and pressing A to see what they say in this game. "The Chimp" feels like he was pulled right out of Super Mario 64 to me. Nostalgia is clouding my judgment, of course, but I do feel like this game has more of that quirkiness to it that the first lacked. The fat whats-his-face luma reminds me a lot of some of the Paper Mario characters in regards to the things he says. And I love Paper Mario.

I love how he constantly talks about how ludicrous Mario's power-ups are :lol

jman2050 said:
I love how he constantly talks about how ludicrous Mario's power-ups are :lol

My personal favorite was right at the beginning when he called the hub a "faceship". It was so obvious I couldn't believe I hadn't already thought of it.

Amir0x

Banned
Man i really love so many things. Even small things like the way in Rightside Down Galaxy you
wall jump off Whomp upside down to get the comet coin, which while simple to do was pretty imaginative.
And in that same galaxy,
the fact that you can pretty much jump out of it and skip the whole end section of platforming challenges

I <3 this game.

andymcc

Banned
Willy105 said:
For I moment I thought you were serious. Be careful when posting sarcasm, people may think it's real, and then you get a tag.

if you're insinuating that sarcasm is the reason you got your tag, you're sooooo wrong. :lol

Link Man

Banned
Amir0x said:
Man i really love so many things. Even small things like the way in Rightside Down Galaxy you
wall jump off Whomp upside down to get the comet coin, which while simple to do was pretty imaginative.
And in that same galaxy,
the fact that you can pretty much jump out of it and skip the whole end section of platforming challenges

I <3 this game.
Did you know that
you could get through that section without flipping the gravity? It's a bit tricky, but doable.

Just shows how clever the level designers are.

Currently working on star
242, holy shit this comet is impossible as all hell. I have no shame in admitting that I just lost 39 lives attempting this one. Guess it's time for a short break.

By the way, the music selection during the
Grandmaster Galaxy Prankster Comet
is just godly. Talk about some serious fan service.

10/10.

Amir0x said:
And in that same galaxy,

I <3 this game.

Yeah, I've noticed quite a few ways to sneak around the intended path and cut the challenge short. Really great level design all around. Most of the levels reward the player's skill level by acknowledging when they're playing above average with things like hidden areas, reaching comet medals, and short cuts like you mentioned above.

jman2050

Amir0x said:
And in that same galaxy,

I <3 this game.

I prefer using cloud mario to
skip about 80% of the first part of Shiverburn

robot

Just finished the castle at the end of world 2, and it was probably one of the greatest moments in the series for me. Maybe it was the combination of platforming, music, lava, the god damn hammer brothers, smashing meteors, and all topped off with that epic boss battle.

I finally understand why everyone is so giddy about this game.

EzLink

Banned
I really should stay the hell away from this thread. i know my wii will be here by thursday so its nice to know my wait won't be TOO much longer, but all I feel like doing in the meantime is playing galaxy 1 :/

I rented the first season of The Shield to watch to keep me busy until Thursday, so at least I have something to do

Of course I'm actually the lucky one here, still having a glriorious new gaming experience all still ahead of me

I gotta at least attempt to make it seem like there is a bright side :(

The second star mission on Cosmic Cove is really impressive. I just came back and beat that particular level. Start on the ice, go underwater, then go in the sky, then go in the floating sky-water, and just for shits and giggles why not flood some planet shaped like Saturn?

Edit: PXG - try starting by going left and following the diagonal line of coins as you run. Just run in an up-and-down pattern across the left half or so, and then run across the vertical lines of coins on the right half. Once I noticed the placement of the coins and how to run to get them in time I got it in about 3 tries.

Anarchistry

This game is un-fucking-believable. When I bought it I played it for thirty minutes and was like, "alright, this is pretty awesome." When I came home from work, I immediately sat down and played it for what felt like minutes, but was probably closer 4 hours. All in all, an amazing game. Bravo, Ninty.

-PXG-

OrangeGrayBlue said:
The second star mission on Cosmic Cove is really impressive. I just came back and beat that particular level. Start on the ice, go underwater, then go in the sky, then go in the floating sky-water, and just for shits and giggles why not flood some planet shaped like Saturn?

Edit: PXG - try starting by going left and following the diagonal line of coins as you run. Just run in an up-and-down pattern across the left half or so, and then run across the vertical lines of coins on the right half. Once I noticed the placement of the coins and how to run to get them in time I got it in about 3 tries.

Oh no. I already beat it this morning with my girlfriend (she was P2). It was just a pain in the ass. I would either die before getting the last coin or die trying to get to the star :lol I was playing as Luigi too. Some times (during the star animation) he would randomly slide off the green blocks, thus, resulting in him falling to his death, with no way of me preventing it from happening.

Darkgran

Fantastic game. Not sure if its my all time favorite but its pretty damn close. I was telling myself 'just one more star, just one more star" until the next thing I know its 2 a.m. :lol

Super Mario Galaxy 2 makes me happy.

Just got 120 stars today. Had a blast with the game - level design was simply superb.

If I had one complaint at all, it would be the exclusion of the flying power-up from Mario Galaxy 1. In the first Galaxy it was under utilized and I was really hoping it might get a second chance here, but no dice.

Oh well, off to go tackle the 120 star bonus :D

Odrion

Banned
The levels in this game don't quite reach the epic styles of the Ice/Fire galaxy, but on a whole they're consistently great. I can see why IGN gave it a perfect score, this game feels... Whole.

Zing

Banned
Penguin said:
I know this is a minor complaint and could be wrong.

But I wish they kept it like Galaxy one, where the Star Launch streaks were created after you used it for the first time. All of them seem to have their paths laid out already,

I wonder why they changed this. I'd actually have no problem believing it is a programming error. I vastly prefer the old method of showing the paths after you use them.

Thrilltacular

Neo Member
robot said:
Just finished the castle at the end of world 2, and it was probably one of the greatest moments in the series for me. Maybe it was the combination of platforming, music, lava, the god damn hammer brothers, smashing meteors, and all topped off with that epic boss battle.

I finally understand why everyone is so giddy about this game.

Wait until you do that level's prankster comet!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Willy105 said:
:lol

No, not at all.

I actually don't know how I got it.
Didn't you get it because like, some other guy accused you of tag fishing, and so they just gave you like the worst tag ever? Thats what I thought happened...

WillyFive

The_Technomancer said:
Didn't you get it because like, some other guy accused you of tag fishing, and so they just gave you like the worst tag ever? Thats what I thought happened...

No, I was never accused of tag fishing.

My guess was that I said I really don't like people cursing, and they gave me a vulgar tag.

But I can't find the thread where it happened. Most likely it was just some mod just passing by, disagreed with what I said, dropped the tag, and walked away.

Willy105 said:

My guess was that I said I really don't like people cursing, and they gave me a vulgar tag.

But I can't find the thread where it happened. Most likely it was just some mod just passing by, disagreed with what I said, dropped the tag, and walked away.
Regular mods don't give tags, I believe.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Willy105 said:

I can vaguely remember the thread where it happened, because everyone was laughing about it, and talking like it was a consequence of something you said, but I don't actually remember it...*shrug*

WillyFive

The_Technomancer said:
I can vaguely remember the thread where it happened, because everyone was laughing about it, and talking like it was a consequence of something you said, but I don't actually remember it...*shrug*

Trust me, a LOT of people reminded me of my new tag. Especially in the Sonic threads. They loved that the one that liked the Sonic games had this tag.

But there really wasn't anything leading up to it, because I check every thread I post in for replies. Oh well....

Forget it. We'll never solve this mystery without post history being available.

On topic: Why does Nintendo give me fences to jump if they're just gonna put black holes behind them?

bridegur

Slimy Spring Galaxy is one of the most beautiful levels I've seen in a Mario game, and probably the best water/swimming level ever.

bridegur said:
Slimy Spring Galaxy is one of the most beautiful levels I've seen in a Mario game, and probably the best water/swimming level ever.
One of my favorite levels in the game, very different look and feel in comparison to most of the other levels.
Knew I was going to like it from the beginning, when you fly in through the cave. Music fit perfectly I actually liked that it stuck to only a few colors. The music stopping and the sunlight at the end was really neat as well.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
And in that same galaxy,

I <3 this game.

so far my favorite comet coin was end of world 2's.

note: i have only played through 2 worlds.

Top Bottom