• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

I think Galaxy 2 is probably the most consistent 3D Mario game, which is quite an accomplishment given the breadth of level ideas. I love Fluzzard, love Yoshi, love the Cloud suit and Rock power-ups. I only wish, as I often did with Galaxy 1, that the game would take its challenges just one step further to hit the difficulty sweet spot. Flip-Swap needs one more iteration. Beat Box needs just a few more obstacles. Melty Molten's rolling challenge is over before it starts. The comet levels are great, but they're not enough for my tastes. It would have helped if the
special world
weren't such a letdown (
offering yet another reminder that Sunshine's secret stages are more fun than almost anything in Galaxy 1
). Oh well. I had a great time reaching 120. If I enjoyed NSMBWii slightly more, that's no knock on Galaxy 2. They're both fantastic games.

wRATH2x

Banned
BowieZ said:
Because it made sense to me in a Mario Sunshine bonus FLUDD-less level kinda way? And when
Baby Luma flew away
at the end, I thought it was a sure thing. But if I've lost you, wRATH2x, then I've lost them all, so maybe I truly am insane and none of my ideas make sense :lol
I just beat the game so yeah the luma flies away, but I don't think the game would take away your main source of attacking. And you can choose to beat Bowser whenever you want, so I can choose when to get rid of the spin attack? Yeah isn't really a good idea man, and it would piss people off.

And it's cool man, I'm pretty fucked up myself.

So how many comet medals are there? and are they in every level?

Peff

wRATH2x said:
I just beat the game so yeah the luma flies away, but I don't think the game would take away your main source of attacking. And you can choose to beat Bowser whenever you want, so I can choose when to get rid of the spin attack? Yeah isn't really a good idea man, and it would piss people off.

And it's cool man, I'm pretty fucked up myself.

So how many comet medals are there? and are they in every level?

Every level has a medal, yes, but not every level has a comet star.

BowieZ

Banned
revolverjgw said:
I don't think it's the theme for any of the levels, but you do hear some lines from it during
the track that plays during the credits
As well as the game's opening Prologue ;) EDIT: And of course the SMG1 Purple Coin theme, when it's used.

wRATH2x said:
I just beat the game so yeah the
luma flies away
, but I don't think the game would take away your main source of attacking. And you can choose to beat Bowser whenever you want, so I can choose when to get rid of the spin attack?
Eh?

goldenpp72

beat the game with 120 stars, short, fun, not that hard, and the green stars are kinda lame.

I guess I expected more, it IS a better game than galaxy, but I find mario games are too easy and was hoping for some kind of super hard mode in the green stars, i'd rather have the same game but harder than random green stars scattered easter egg hunt style..

Oh well, my biggest beef really is that it ended :p

Is there anyone here that was a big fan of Mario64, and not of the first SMG, but actually likes SMG 2 a lot better? I was really disappointed with the first SMG and am hesitant to try out the second.

wRATH2x

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
Is there anyone here that was a big fan of Mario64, and not of the first SMG, but actually likes SMG 2 a lot better? I was really disappointed with the first SMG and am hesitant to try out the second.
HIGH FIVE!

EDIT: I still think Mario 64 is the best Mario game ever.

BitchTits

I hate how long it takes between levels. There's so much hand holding and chit-chat with stupid squeaking stars and other new "shitty friends".

zigg

Joe Shlabotnik said:
So I've been trying to avoid spoilers but I noticed a lot of frustrated mentions of
Fluzzard
... Am I just awesome or is there some particularly controller-tossing race left late in the game?

You are certifiably awesome, my friend.

As am I.

As is Fluzzard.

goldenpp72

Deputy Moonman said:

I doubt it, SMG2 is a sequel to SMG, it feels and looks the same, but has more diversity and creative platforming with added challenge. It does have a certain throwback though :)

Edit: Nothing hard about fluzzard, the only time I was slightly lost using him was trying to get the second comet coin, but that took me about 10 minutes to figure out.

camineet

Banned
My favorite levels in SMG1:
*Melty Molton
*Bonefish
*Loop-De-Loop
*Bouy Base
*Seaslide

All these except Melty don't return in anyway in SMG2 so far. For those of you that have finished the game or are far into it, correct me if I'm wrong.

BowieZ

Banned
BitchTits said:
I hate how long it takes between levels. There's so much hand holding and chit-chat with stupid squeaking stars and other new "shitty friends".
But at least they removed the "Save Game?" dialogue and the running around trying to remember which Galaxy is in which dome etc.

evangd007

BitchTits said:

I forgive all of that in exchange for them taking out the Retry Yes/No dialogue that happened every time you died in SMG1.

Deputy Moonman said:

It's even further away from Mario64 than SMG was. For whatever incomprehensible reasons you didn't like SMG, there's no way you're going to suddenly love SMG2. It's SMG with the volume turned up.

BowieZ

Banned
wRATH2x said:
I'm sure my post was clear.
No, it wasn't: "And you can choose to beat Bowser whenever you want, so I can choose when to get rid of the spin attack?" I'm guessing you mean, because you have choice somewhere, you should have choice elsewhere? I just don't understand the parity between those two gameplay factors. Like, we can't choose that the back 120 is
a scavenger hunt
... why should we be able to choose that it isn't a spin jump removal?

camineet said:
My favorite levels in SMG1:
*Melty Molten = Melty Monster + Shiverburn
*Loopdeloop = Rolling Coaster Galaxy + Fleet Glide Galaxy
*Bouy Base = Space Storm Star #2
*Sea Slide = Starshine Beach + Slimy Spring + Slipsand
*Bonefin = Slimy Spring + er... Megahammer, I guess?

All these except Melty don't return in anyway in SMG2 so far. For those of you that have finished the game or are far into it, correct me if I'm wrong.
How far into it are you? Elements of most of these appear in fragments.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Deputy Moonman said:

Put me down in this category. I 100% completed Super Mario 64 at least twice, but topped out on Galaxy with only 87 stars. I liked the game, and was super pumped for it when it came out. Part of the reason for not completing it fully was life getting in the way, but there were annoyances:

1. The hub world took a long time to navigate
1A. If you put the game down for a while it's hard to pick up
3. Luigi's purple coins is frustrating and always makes me quit

In Galaxy 2, all three of those concerns are addressed. Even the purple coin challenges are more fun. The game is just more fun overall IMO. I love Yoshi, Cloud Maro and Rock Mario. There are minor frustrations though; Fire Flower fireball thowing responsiveness and Spring Mario jumping timing suck balls.

zigg

Joey Fox said:
There are minor frustrations though; Fire Flower fireball thowing responsiveness and Spring Mario jumping timing suck balls.

I don't think you'll get any sane person defending the Fire Flower—I still weep that they didn't upgrade the Fire Flower with the Yoshi pointer spit mechanics, it seems so obvious—but Spring Mario is fun. Not quite as cool as substituting your own acrobatics, but still fun.

(maybe you're not getting a sane person defending Spring Mario either)

goldenpp72

I thought the spring sucked, not because of timing but because of how sluggish the movement was, but I only recall using it once.

I'll never understand the big frustration with the luigi purple coins in mario galaxy, spin jump and don't get all coins, win. sheesh.

Lamel

Banned
Ok pardon my incompetence but I could use some help here...

I just got 120 stars and now the lumas are saying something about ghost luigi and still taking care of 'that guy [bowser]'. What the hell do I do now? I can't figure it out... :(

Peff

Saadster said:
Ok pardon my incompetence but I could use some help here...

I just got 120 stars and now the lumas are saying something about ghost luigi and still taking care of 'that guy [bowser]'. What the hell do I do now? I can't figure it out... :(

Finish the game again.

Dangit I'm gonna have to try this game for fear of missing out. :D

wRATH2x said:
HIGH FIVE!

EDIT: I still think Mario 64 is the best Mario game ever.
That's what i'm talking about!

Joey Fox said:
Put me down in this category. I 100% completed Super Mario 64 at least twice, but topped out on Galaxy with only 87 stars. I liked the game, and was super pumped for it when it came out. Part of the reason for not completing it fully was life getting in the way, but there were annoyances:

1. The hub world took a long time to navigate
1A. If you put the game down for a while it's hard to pick up
3. Luigi's purple coins is frustrating and always makes me quit

In Galaxy 2, all three of those concerns are addressed. Even the purple coin challenges are more fun. The game is just more fun overall IMO. I love Yoshi, Cloud Maro and Rock Mario. There are minor frustrations though; Fire Flower fireball thowing responsiveness and Spring Mario jumping timing suck balls.
Thanks!

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/video-game-article/iwata-asks-mario.php

Iwata How do you feel about my suit? Mind you, I made it myself, in this very conference room just before you arrived. Using nothing but carpet fibers and excess buttons from the speakerphone.

Answer carefully! (laughs)
Miyamoto Your suit is -
Iwata Can I meet Mario? Is that something you can... is there any way to arrange that?
Miyamoto I'll certainly try my best to make something like that happen.

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Anyone calling this Super Mario Galaxy 1.5 has either played through that many levels or is genuinely disappointed that the plot involves Bowser kidnapping the princess. 10/10

feel

A bit OT, but I finally beat GOW1 and 2, taking a break from that series before I tackle GOW3. So now I'm back playing SMG1, 10 stars to go till 120, then I can finally start SMG2. I don't really see how the sequel can be any better, this is gaming perfection. I feel true happiness while playing. :D

Probably been brought up before but I figured out how to do a backflip on Yoshi without jumping off. Just do a double jump then quickly turn around while doing another jump when you land.

wRATH2x

Banned
BowieZ said:
No, it wasn't: "And you can choose to beat Bowser whenever you want, so I can choose when to get rid of the spin attack?" I'm guessing you mean, because you have choice somewhere, you should have choice elsewhere? I just don't understand the parity between those two gameplay factors. Like, we can't choose that the back 120 is
a scavenger hunt
... why should we be able to choose that it isn't a spin jump removal?

How far into it are you? Elements of most of these appear in fragments.
I mean you can choose to either beat the last Bowser or go get more stars. If I'm not mistaken some gaffer posted that after 90 something stars he went and beat Bowser. I beat him the moment I hit 70 stars I beat his ass, wouldn't it would be weird for me to get the same stars as he did but without the spin attack?

DeathbyVolcano said:
It's not like the Mario series has a tradition of good Bowser fights, though. I know it's still worth complaining about, because they really aren't that hard (still cool though), but let's think about it:

SMB: Run under him.
SMB3: Run under him a few times.
SMW: Probably the coolest one, taking the most skill. Fire off his mecha-Bowsers to hit him in his airship.
SM64: Spin him into a bomb. Three times.
SMS:...I don't even remember this one, so it probably sucked.
SMG: Spin-hit him a few times.

If you ask me, Galaxy 2's method of fighting Bowser is the coolest since SMW.

I thought Mario 64's fights with Bowser were awesome

you would hold your breath when you threw him and waited to see if he'd hit a bomb or return with a vengeance. As a kid, throwing that big monster by spinning the analog stick felt awesome.

wrowa

markot said:
How can you hate the hub world in galaxy yet love it im mario 64?? It was exponentially bigger......
Peach's castle was interesting to explore with a great atmosphere to boot. Galaxy's hub design was boring and uninteresting. Running through it was no fun at all.

Actually, SMG2's Mario head is more interesting than Galaxy's hub ever was.

Oh, and my game arrived yesterday! Wohoo! Don't have anything to add to this thread apart of "absolutely awesome".

JRW

I just realised in SMG1 when in first person view you were limited to how far you could look around (you couldnt do a full 360 with the camera) but in SMG2 you're unrestricted.

For anyone who cares...

100%, finally!

I slowed down a ton after
the 120 mark
, but good God, if that last one wasn't a challenge. I think I lost several dozen lives and spent at least a couple hours on it. And it felt great!

JRW said:
I just realised in SMG1 when in first person view you were limited to how far you could look around (you couldnt do a full 360 with the camera) but in SMG2 you're unrestricted.
11/10, day -01

zigg

JRW said:

I noticed that I had to use it even less than I did in SMG. For that I can be nothing but grateful.

othersteve said:
For anyone who cares...

100%, finally!

A hearty "woohoo!" to you, sir. Welcome to the club. :D

That fourth section is murder with the comet restriction, innit?

Oh, also, for my own personal curiosity. Do you have 9,999 Bits in either Banktoad or on your person? Some people out there seem convinced that is necessary to unlock star 242... I think it's just getting the comet medal, honestly. But I've had 9,999 in both at some time or another, so I can't prove it.

zigg said:
A hearty "woohoo!" to you, sir. Welcome to the club. :D

That fourth section is murder with the comet restriction, innit?
God yes. It wasn't awful after I learned to use
Cloud Mario to skip the last two radial electrocuting thingies
. But worse yet, the
Hammer Bros. really had me crying. Out of blatant curiosity, does one have to kill them all, or just the three Boomerang ones at the end?

You know, and the saddest part of all is, in order to finally win, I had to get half drunk via a nice glass of Crown on the Rocks.

Edit: You know, I think I had to deposit those star bits--all of them--to make it appear. I wish I had done more diligent checking, but I'm quite certain it required me to deposit them to make that final comet appear.

It is also indeed possible, however, that I was looking for the comet notification, which never actually occurs. Had I known the comet appears unannounced, it might have been a little bit less confusing for me.

So I guess the bottom line is that I think you have to have 9,999 deposited for it to work... but I'm only 75% sure of it. :p

zigg

othersteve said:
But worse yet, the
Hammer Bros. really had me crying. Out of blatant curiosity, does one have to kill them all, or just the three Boomerang ones at the end?

I am pretty sure
it is just them. I know for a fact you can skip the first two Hammer Bros. I did need to take out the rest, lest I get annihilated by stray hammers, though.

EDIT:

othersteve said:
It is also indeed possible, however, that I was looking for the comet notification, which never actually occurs. Had I known the comet appears unannounced, it might have been a little bit less confusing for me.

Huh. I thought I saw it. I may be misremembering, though. There's enough in this game to stuff in the noggin as it is :D

EDIT 2:

othersteve said:
God yes. It wasn't awful after I learned to use
Cloud Mario to skip the last two radial electrocuting thingies

I used it to
skip the first two, actually... or at least the tail end of the first one. The last one I could hop a little around on and just long-jump right into the Launch Star.

Neiteio

Hmm... Well, I thoroughly enjoyed every second of SMG2 up through the final Bowser battle, and now I'm just messing around, picking up the occassional post-game star while revisiting my favorite stages.

The problem is, I'm having a hard time finding a mission as replayable as some of the best bits of SMG1.

For instance, in SMG1 I can play all three stars of Space Junk Galaxy over and over and over again. Whether zipping through the Pull-Star Path and navigating the self-assembling blocks at the end, or taking the airship fleet by storm, or flinging off of the sticky slingshot trees (where are those in SMG2?) to defeat Tarantox, that whole galaxy delivered.

But what's the equivalent in SMG2? The galaxy I revisit the most is Tall Trunk, with its stellar blend of 2D and 3D Blimp Yoshi platforming, and its high-speed tree slide. I love Honeybloom's Jungle Beat-style gymnastics, and Haunty Halls was masterfully designed. I also remember Flipsville and Chompworks feeling spot-on.

But... It feels like each stage softens and shortens with each successive replay. Whereas, say, SMG1's "Sinking Lava Spire" in Melty Molten is as robustly replayable as ever. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I think SMG2, overall, has the better approach with the WarioWare-style onslaught of short-but-sweet levels, but SMG1's galaxies truly felt like self-contained worlds and made for greater replayability.

fireside said:
Really? Even to get the
green stars?
I find myself needing to use it often for this.
Seeing exactly where a star is in 3D space can be difficult for stars floating away from platforms, because they have no shadows.

Salsa

Vangu Vegro said:
Even better, given the space setting, they should give Tatanga a cameo. (The Mario Land series deserves more recognition, dammit!)

Yeah, i think Tatanga is one of the most wanted by fans, would be awesome.

Tatanga.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Joe Shlabotnik said:
So I've been trying to avoid spoilers but I noticed a lot of frustrated mentions of
Fluzzard
. I'm 75 Stars in and I've beaten four of those Stars (I think) and the only one that even took two or three tries was
Fastest Feathers In The Galaxy
(World 5). Is that what people have been complaining about? Am I just awesome or is there some particularly controller-tossing race left late in the game?

No. Its just that it feels like you should have more control. The only really hard thing about Fluzzard is getting the Comet Coin in Fleet Glide.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Linkzg said:
I thought Mario 64's fights with Bowser were awesome

you would hold your breath when you threw him and waited to see if he'd hit a bomb or return with a vengeance. As a kid, throwing that big monster by spinning the analog stick felt awesome.

Yes doing the same boss three times with slight variations was thrilling when I was younger.

Neiteio

The Bowser fights in SM64 are the best, imo, and I'm no nostalgic defender of the game.

It's a combination of the awesome music (sadly forgotten since then), the thunderous thud-thud-thud of Bowser's footsteps, the sheer size of him compared to Mario -- it's truly a case of slaying the dragon! -- and the David-vs-Goliath-ness of swinging the fell beast by his tail -- an ICONIC tactic, plain and simple -- and launching him off the platform... only for the camera to angle up so you can see the bastard leaping back for more.

In the later stages he starts warping around and chasing you T-Rex-style, which never gets old (nor does side-flipping over him!). And in the second Bowser battle, the one in the lava world, when he jumps back onstage he tips the whole arena vertically, sending you careening toward the flames. Simply amazing...

Finally, the Goth'd-out trippiness of the last encounter, complete with a WTF-is-this-Dracula-in-Castlevania organ theme, made for a sense of FINALITY unrivaled since. Even the epic music of SMG1's final Bowser battle was undermined by the colorful plasticity of the setting. Whereas SM64's finale was made from the stuff of nightmares, rainbow hues on a canvas of pure unmitigated darkness...

So awesome.

Top Bottom