• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

fireside

autobzooty said:
You can't tell me that "Don't forget to protect your bellyache bulges!" didn't make you burst out laughing. It's not a tip, it's good comedic writing.
Good comedic writing is "Coin you do it"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Just got this and haven't played very much yet. Hate to say it but so far it just makes me want to play New Super Mario Bros. :p

No need to bring inferior games into the discussion!

I would definitely play an all "2D" side-scrolling Mario with gravity effects. A number of levels in this game do it but I wouldn't mind playing an entire game that way :D

BowieZ

Banned
fireside said:
The boss fights would be fine without Bowser Jr. He adds absolutely nothing to them besides his stupid laugh and telling you how to beat the boss.

He flies away after introducing Gobbleguts and telling you his weakness (thanks dude, I had no idea what I needed to do)

The Hammer boss would be fine without him (yeah, thanks for telling me you're in the cockpit.)

Same with the Boomsday machine.
Agreed. I wanna see 7 Koopalings protecting 7 lands in 3D. But I'd settle for just the 7 lands in 3D thing.

beelzebozo said:
right. i'm like, dude, those are little three segment portions that happen maybe three or four times in a level. seriously?
I certainly wouldn't want this in any future game. Things being interconnected doesn't have to stymie creativity... I mean, take any other interconnected section of platforming in SMG/2 for an example of this.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Just got this and haven't played very much yet. Hate to say it but so far it just makes me want to play New Super Mario Bros. :p

It does take a while to get going. I was like meh until about 20-something stars in.

loosus

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I say go for it. Nothing wrong with playing a better game. God will give you a high-five in heaven.

Having said that, you'll probably like Galaxy 2. It's just that New Super Mario Bros. has spoiled us all and made us realize how much unnecessary bullshit Nintendo has added to the modern 3D games that just gets in the way of the gameplay.

1-D_FTW

Segata Sanshiro said:

I'm the exact opposite. I just started playing NSMB: Wii a little while ago and have abandoned it for SMG 2. I can't play NSMB:Wii for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. I had more joy in the first 2 levels of SMG2 than I've had in 4 worlds of NSMB: Wii.

Funny thing is this: When I repurchased my Wii, I deliberately played SMG first, because I thought I'd enjoy NSMB a lot more and didn't want SMG to be a let down.

As much as I loved SMG, SMG 2 is giving me the same magical feelings that SM64 did. I loved SMG, but SMG 2 is SOO much better IMO.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing that I hate about this game so far is the music in the yoshi galaxy in world 1.

It sounds like Mario Sunshine music :(

And I liked Mario Sunshine, but it just seems spectacularly out of place

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
loosus said:
I say go for it. Nothing wrong with playing a better game. God will give you a high-five in heaven.

Having said that, you'll probably like Galaxy 2. It's just that New Super Mario Bros. has spoiled us all and made us realize how much unnecessary bullshit Nintendo has added to the modern 3D games that just gets in the way of the gameplay.

They got them ther werds in mah Mario

scola said:
The only thing that I hate about this game so far is the music in the yoshi galaxy in world 1.

It sounds like Mario Sunshine music :(

And I liked Mario Sunshine, but it just seems spectacularly out of place
Is there a youtube video of that song? I liked Mario Sunshine's soundtrack so I'm curious. :)

I can't for the life of me find the alternate star for the Rock Suit Mario galaxy (Rolling Boulder, I think) in the 2nd area. I got the initial one and the prankster comet but the "Galaxy Completed" crown doesn't appear. Any help? Can there be a 2nd prankster comet?

1-D_FTW said:
I'm the exact opposite. I just started playing NSMB: Wii a little while ago and have abandoned it for SMG 2. I can't play NSMB:Wii for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. I had more joy in the first 2 levels of SMG2 than I've had in 4 worlds of NSMB: Wii.

Funny thing is this: When I repurchased my Wii, I deliberately played SMG first, because I thought I'd enjoy NSMB a lot more and didn't want SMG to be a let down.

As much as I loved SMG, SMG 2 is giving me the same magical feelings that SM64 did. I loved SMG, but SMG 2 is SOO much better IMO.
I guess I'm just not a 3D Mario guy. Super Mario Galaxy 1 was the only 3D Mario I really loved, and even then, as soon as I played NSMB Wii, it was like, okay, this is more what I want. I mean, it's still good and all, but I think I'm finally able to realize which flava I prefer.

Jrmint

timetokill said:
I would definitely play an all "2D" side-scrolling Mario with gravity effects. A number of levels in this game do it but I wouldn't mind playing an entire game that way :D
Eh not me, those are some of my least favorite levels.

BowieZ

Banned
Gryphter said:
I can't for the life of me find the alternate star for the Rock Suit Mario galaxy (Rolling Boulder, I think) in the 2nd area. I got the initial one and the prankster comet but the "Galaxy Completed" crown doesn't appear. Any help? Can there be a 2nd prankster comet?
Did you get the actual comet coin in the galaxy?

Wii said:
Do we know who composed which songs yet?
We know Kondo composed Starship Mario 1-3, Yoshi Star, and Bowser Jr's Fiery Flotilla, and that Kondo composed five themes, but does that include counting Starship Mario three times or not? We don't know. So he may have composed to others (I would have thought Sky Station Galaxy #1/Trailer Theme was Kondo's work, but I may be proven wrong)... the soundtrack details will surely be posted in the coming week.

Nagamatsu presumably composed most of the jazzy bonus themes and remixes.

Yokota composed and orchestrated everything else, although the Final Bowser Battle theme was confusing in the Iwata Asks translation. I presume Yokota wrote that but Iwata Asks made it sounds like Nagamatsu did:

Yokota So is Mr. Nagamatsu
I'd like some of the songs we asked,
I did write songs very large.

Nagamatsu "Bowser Final Battle" is a song.

Iwata What is the final battle? Mr. Nagamatsu is supposed to play orchestral music
At first I thought we could not sleep at night with anxiety,
What is important was assigned to the last song?

Nagamatsu That's right.
Thanks, now I sleep again.

Iwata (Laughs)

Nagamatsu Good luck with that, but I write, trying too hard,
I became a very difficult song to play.
So I talked to Mr. Yokota,
"Please make the score a little messed" So,
And while waiting, I came back rewritten music.
However, they become increasingly difficult this.

Iwata What I was going to get worse? (Laughs)

Nagamatsu Yes (laughs).
So actually, we play those Itadaitara Orchestra
When finished playing the first
Is uniformly grim look you in the face of the musician,
"Well -" and I sighed like a man possessed.
So, "I think this is a bad move" and.

Yokota This is classical music were
I'd like to practice or have the time or six months.

Iwata Order that songs like this,
Everyone to practice that day,
I have to finish recording it on the same day.

Yokota That's right.
However, Mr. Nagamatsu but I was worried that a very
I rewrote the music to actually make it easier to play.
And so to play some of our highly professional,
Work and I never thought I was.

Nagamatsu Yokota said the street
Only a few times just to practice, I have played us perfectly.

Yokota And After the play
It then occurred between Mr. clapping musician.

Iwata I guess it was a touching scene.

Nagamatsu Yeah (laughs).

Iwata Readers are reading this
I can not listen to that song you do not I?

Yokota And they suddenly can hear the final showdown before the release.

Iwata There is a pleasure after being released, it is that.

Yokota Yes. In addition,
The chorus of men and women in this song (Chorus) also contains
You are so very heavy song,
'd Appreciate hearing you play your best.
And this Club Nintendo(9 &#8251;)of
As a new point exchange goods,
"Super Mario Galaxy Original Soundtrack 2" is
Now you can get.

Vizion28

Banned
I'm in the minority here. I think SMG is a superior game to SMG2. I'm at the end of World 4 and I'm not blown away like was playing SMG. I haven't played a level like Gusty Gardens in SMG 2 which is probably my favorite level of any game - you'd be surprise how many times I play the level over and over again. Truly magical.

Also I noticed that the textures in many parts of the game are inferior to SMG. What's going on Nintendo? And I'm not blown away by the music like I was in the first one. I don't know if Miyamoto lied but SMG 2 is not more difficult than the first one. The challenge seems to be about the same.

Still I'm enjoying the game. If Mario Galaxy is a 10 then for me Mario Galaxy 2 is a 9. At least to the point I am in the game.

Jrmint

Gryphter said:
Around Star 60 I believe it is you will get a letter in the mail from one of those Gearmo (sp?) guys, and he will ask you to come help him. I'll spoiler what he asks you to do, just in case.

He wants to break all the boulders on the little planet till you find a Goomba, and then lure the Goomba to him. Pretty simple.

BowieZ

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Eh I still can't get into NSMB Wii.

I've played it off and on but those controls...ick.
Which controls? Picking up heavy objects with 1+shake? I thought that was odd and clunky at first but I got used to it and it made sense after a while, after all, you kinda need to make a big motion to pick up heavy things in general... plus I'm always holding one, anyway. If you struggle with turning the remote sideways etc for motion platforms then I guess there's no hope ;)

NotWii

Banned
BowieZ said:
We know Kondo composed Starship Mario 1-3, Yoshi Star, and Bowser Jr's Fiery Flotilla, and that Kondo composed five themes, but does that include counting Starship Mario three times or not? We don't know. So he may have composed to others (I would have thought Sky Station Galaxy #1/Trailer Theme was Kondo's work, but I may be proven wrong)... the soundtrack details will surely be posted in the coming week.

Nagamatsu presumably composed most of the jazzy bonus themes and remixes.

Yokota composed and orchestrated everything else, although the Final Bowser Battle theme was confusing in the Iwata Asks translation. I presume Yokota wrote that but Iwata Asks made it sounds like Nagamatsu did:
Oooooh, I didn't know there was a new Iwata Asks!
Yoshi Star does sound very Kondo-esque

Sky Station Galaxy 2 is better than Sky Station Galaxy 1 IMO :p

BowieZ

Banned
Wii said:
Oooooh, I didn't know there was a new Iwata Asks!
Yoshi Star does sound very Kondo-esque

Sky Station Galaxy 2 is better than Sky Station Galaxy 1 IMO :p
Really? I much prefer SSG1, but feel it's been overplayed cos of all the trailers etc., so it's not too fair to compare unless you've absolutely been on a media blackout since E3.

BowieZ said:
Which controls? Picking up heavy objects with 1+shake? I thought that was odd and clunky at first but I got used to it and it made sense after a while, after all, you kinda need to make a big motion to pick up heavy things in general... plus I'm always holding one, anyway. If you struggle with turning the remote sideways etc for motion platforms then I guess there's no hope ;)

I'm talking about the controls in general really. Jumping on baddies is way more of a hassle than it should be. All that extraneous stuff really doesn't bother me though its inclusion does mean the Classic Controller can't be used...which definitely doesn't help.

BowieZ

Banned
Skel said:
How many stars do you need for the throwback galaxy?

Is it that 110 star square that leads to the hungry luma?
You have missed your turn. At the next available opportunity, do a U-Turn.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm talking about the controls in general really. Jumping on baddies is way more of a hassle than it should be. All that extraneous stuff really doesn't bother me though its inclusion does mean the Classic Controller can't be used...which definitely doesn't help.
Did you give the learning curve much of a chance? I mean, no offense, but my 10-year-old niece who had never played a platformer ... actually, never mind :p

BowieZ said:
Did you give the learning curve much of a chance? I mean, no offense, but my 10-year-old niece who had never played a platformer ... actually, never mind :p

Yeah maybe that's my problem. I've played too many platformers so I've come to expect better.

My bad

BowieZ

Banned
Skel said:
What? No I'm not there yet. I currently have 93 stars, and just wanted to know when I can expect it.
It's in World 6...
World 6-3...

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah maybe that's my problem. I've played too many platformers so I've come to expect better.
Don't you mean worse? :p

My Nintendo love has been re-sparked <3

Is it me, or are the graphics absolutely fabulous? Stick it in HD and it looks as good as the big name PS3 and 360 titles, IMHO. Beautiful art direction!

NotWii

Banned
BowieZ said:
Really? I much prefer SSG1, but feel it's been overplayed cos of all the trailers etc., so it's not too fair to compare unless you've absolutely been on a media blackout since E3.
SSG1 just assaults you with over happy brass (except for a small calm bit), I don't like the melody anywhere near as much as good egg (which never got old from the trailers) or SSG2 which both give me a sense of hope, wonder and suspense
Just me though :p

I like the 14 second intro to SSG1 in the game though.

NotWii

Banned
Willy105 said:
What I really liked what was the beta Good Egg Galaxy music for SMG1 back at E3 2006. It was so calming.
It had less intruments (and they were all fake ones), but it was the same IIRC?

When I heard it at E32006, it seemed like I was the only one who was hooked by the music :lol

WillyFive

Wii said:
It had less intruments (and they were all fake ones), but it was the same IIRC?

When I heard it at E32006, it seemed like I was the only one who was hooked by the music :lol

Yeah, it was less complex and more soothing. It's the same melody, but sounds very different.

NotWii

Banned
Willy105 said:
What I really liked what was the beta Good Egg Galaxy music for SMG1 back at E3 2006. It was so calming.
I'm listening to it again, yeah, it's nice :D

I also like the sound when you collect starbits in the beta, it has a chunkier sound, rather than a hollow candy sound

Mario also doesn't do the gymnast pose when he lands on a planetoid, it's more of a samus style landing, and his voice is less high pitched

Skel said:
Around Star 60 I believe it is you will get a letter in the mail from one of those Gearmo (sp?) guys, and he will ask you to come help him. I'll spoiler what he asks you to do, just in case.

He wants to break all the boulders on the little planet till you find a Goomba, and then lure the Goomba to him. Pretty simple.

That's it, thanks. I'm at 57 stars but like to get them right away and in order if I can, so seeing the Galaxy complete crowns on nearly everything except for this level was driving me up the wall.

Assemble!

I think we need both side-scrolling and 3D mario. It's a totally different dynamic... HOWEVER.....

I really wish for NSMB Wii they went with true 2D graphics. They could really make a beautiful game with 2D. If theyre going with elements in 3D, it seems they should go the Viewtiful Joe route and have the levels (ever so slightly) reflect the third dimension.

I love both NSMB and SMG, but the latter is worlds ahead in creativity and interesting level design. Plus, I fired up Super Mario World the other day and it made NSMB look like an old, slow grandma. SMW is so fast and precise, and really allows the player to string together some amazing segments.

So in the future.... 2D side scrolling and 3D Galaxy-style platforming plz

BowieZ

Banned
Gryphter said:
That's it, thanks. I'm at 57 stars but like to get them right away and in order if I can, so seeing the Galaxy complete crowns on nearly everything except for this level was driving me up the wall.
dash-peppering? ;)

swerve

Segata Sanshiro said:
I guess I'm just not a 3D Mario guy. Super Mario Galaxy 1 was the only 3D Mario I really loved, and even then, as soon as I played NSMB Wii, it was like, okay, this is more what I want. I mean, it's still good and all, but I think I'm finally able to realize which flava I prefer.

Weird to admit it, but I'm the same.

I mean, I'm completely loving Galaxy 2, and sometimes in awe at the design. It's by far my favourite 3D mario. Or 3D game, in fact.

But for sheer fun and simple pleasure? NSMBWii has spoiled me. Getting so many top-tier mario games in one generation has finally enabled me to see which ones I genuinely enjoy most.

And it's the 2D ones.

Futureman said:
Ok cool.

What about the galaxies that have stars listed with a "?"... How do you get these? are they just hidden in the galaxy somewhere?
Most of the time, those are about the Lumas that ask you for coins. Some are from the chimp.

So I've been trying to avoid spoilers but I noticed a lot of frustrated mentions of
Fluzzard
. I'm 75 Stars in and I've beaten four of those Stars (I think) and the only one that even took two or three tries was
Fastest Feathers In The Galaxy
(World 5). Is that what people have been complaining about? Am I just awesome or is there some particularly controller-tossing race left late in the game?

Top Bottom