• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Kard8p3

Neiteio said:
The Bowser fights in SM64 are the best, imo, and I'm no nostalgic defender of the game.

It's a combination of the awesome music (sadly forgotten since then), the thunderous thud-thud-thud of Bowser's footsteps, the sheer size of him compared to Mario -- it's truly a case of slaying the dragon! -- and the David-vs-Goliath-ness of swinging the fell beast by his tail -- an ICONIC tactic, plain and simple -- and launching him off the platform... only for the camera to angle up so you can see the bastard leaping back for more.

In the later stages he starts warping around and chasing you T-Rex-style, which never gets old (nor does side-flipping over him!). And in the second Bowser battle, the one in the lava world, when he jumps back onstage he tips the whole arena vertically, sending you careening toward the flames. Simply amazing...

Finally, the Goth'd-out trippiness of the last encounter, complete with a WTF-is-this-Dracula-in-Castlevania organ theme, made for a sense of FINALITY unrivaled since. Even the epic music of SMG1's final Bowser battle was undermined by the colorful plasticity of the setting. Whereas SM64's finale was made from the stuff of nightmares, rainbow hues on a canvas of pure unmitigated darkness...

So awesome.

Yeah I agree the fight is awesome but it's probably the easiest of the 3D bowser fights. In the first two rounds you only have to hurt him once and the third time it only goes up to three. With the exception of the second fight you can pretty much grab him and throw him without him even getting one attack in. It still cool but really it was much better back in the day.

WillyFive

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah I agree the fight is awesome but it's probably the easiest of the 3D bowser fights. In the first two rounds you only have to hurt him once and the third time it only goes up to three. With the exception of the second fight you can pretty much grab him and throw him without him even getting one attack in. It still cool but really it was much better back in the day.

But what you have to do to hit him with the bomb is a lot more complicated and skill based than the three.

It's not skilled based at all, you have to tackle the terrible, terrible, build quality of the N64 control sticks to be able to get him going fast enough and let go at an awkward point to make him hit a bomb.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Neiteio said:
Hmm... Well, I thoroughly enjoyed every second of SMG2 up through the final Bowser battle, and now I'm just messing around, picking up the occassional post-game star while revisiting my favorite stages.

The problem is, I'm having a hard time finding a mission as replayable as some of the best bits of SMG1.

For instance, in SMG1 I can play all three stars of Space Junk Galaxy over and over and over again. Whether zipping through the Pull-Star Path and navigating the self-assembling blocks at the end, or taking the airship fleet by storm, or flinging off of the sticky slingshot trees (where are those in SMG2?) to defeat Tarantox, that whole galaxy delivered.

But what's the equivalent in SMG2? The galaxy I revisit the most is Tall Trunk, with its stellar blend of 2D and 3D Blimp Yoshi platforming, and its high-speed tree slide. I love Honeybloom's Jungle Beat-style gymnastics, and Haunty Halls was masterfully designed. I also remember Flipsville and Chompworks feeling spot-on.

But... It feels like each stage softens and shortens with each successive replay. Whereas, say, SMG1's "Sinking Lava Spire" in Melty Molten is as robustly replayable as ever. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I think SMG2, overall, has the better approach with the WarioWare-style onslaught of short-but-sweet levels, but SMG1's galaxies truly felt like self-contained worlds and made for greater replayability.

Agreed. Many worlds in SMG 2 feels like the single star levels in 1. I've seen pretty much everything in many of them is just one star.

camineet

Banned
So far, i'm feeling that SMG1 is the better game, the better experience. I like the levels much more in Galaxy. Not to say I don't love SMG2, I still give it a 10/10, but SMG was an 11 or 12. It was THAT good. SMG2 has mostly small short-but-sweet levels. My mind might change when i get further, i'm only most of the way through world 3 and have ALOT of ground to cover. I'm assuming i won't change my mind, but i know alot of amazing galaxies still await me. Nothing can compare to Galaxy. The levels that were large have this feeling of being forever playable.

Neiteio

Willy105 said:
But what you have to do to hit him with the bomb is a lot more complicated and skill based than the three.
Exactly. To put it another way, there's a lot more room for error in the SMG1/SMG2 boss fights than there is in SM64. Spinning Bowser 360 degrees at high speeds, you only have a few "degrees" in which you can deal him damage. And holy hell, the IMPACT when you connect, seeing that atomic mushroom cloud uppercut Bowser's jaw.

I was disappointed with the SMG2 Bowser battles, which is sad since Bowser is my favorite character. I think they were wise to make him planet-sized, restoring some of the monstrosity I loved so much in SM64. But constricting me to a small rock far removed from all but Bowser's fist sort of it made it a "distant" battle, even as shockwaves, meteors and fire breath conspired to make it claustrophobic. All told, the fights were easy, and to stage them in the same red nebula all three times was a missed opportunity; SMG1 and SM64 had the right idea, changing up the background each time.

All of this has me thinking back on Sunshine's climatic Bowser battle. I think I'll rewatch that one on YouTube; inner-tube green-goo Bowser was "quirky," but not necessarily underwhelming, if I recall. Rocket-nozzling into the stratosphere to ground-pound the tub's supports -- and then scrambling across the collapsing debris -- was pretty fun. :)

But the lava boat leading up to it was a pain in the ass...

JRW

Is there a way to stop mario during a spin while rock mario? (without hitting a wall), Thought I read it here but cant find the post.

TheOGB

Banned
Neiteio said:
It's a combination of the awesome music (sadly forgotten since then), the thunderous thud-thud-thud of Bowser's footsteps, the sheer size of him compared to Mario -- it's truly a case of slaying the dragon! -- and the David-vs-Goliath-ness of swinging the fell beast by his tail -- an ICONIC tactic, plain and simple -- and launching him off the platform... only for the camera to angle up so you can see the bastard leaping back for more.

In the later stages he starts warping around and chasing you T-Rex-style, which never gets old (nor does side-flipping over him!). And in the second Bowser battle, the one in the lava world, when he jumps back onstage he tips the whole arena vertically, sending you careening toward the flames. Simply amazing...

Finally, the Goth'd-out trippiness of the last encounter, complete with a WTF-is-this-Dracula-in-Castlevania organ theme, made for a sense of FINALITY unrivaled since. Even the epic music of SMG1's final Bowser battle was undermined by the colorful plasticity of the setting. Whereas SM64's finale was made from the stuff of nightmares, rainbow hues on a canvas of pure unmitigated darkness...

So awesome.
Well when you put it like that, then hell yes it was awesome

Magnus

Just finished. Final boss music was less earth shatteringly awesome than implied here, especially in the context of the (very short) battle. The end credits music was more memorable and awesome, haha.

Boss battles were all too easy.

Fantastic game though.

And holy shit, what a nice surprise!
Special World!!

WillyFive

DeathbyVolcano said:
It's not skilled based at all, you have to tackle the terrible, terrible, build quality of the N64 control sticks to be able to get him going fast enough and let go at an awkward point to make him hit a bomb.

The build quality of the N64 control sticks have nothing to do with it, they worked just fine for the situation.

It's all about figuring out the timing.

Just starting my second playthrough and Rock Mario, Cloud Mario, and a couple of amazing boss fights notwithstanding, I liked Super Mario Galaxy 1 much better.

To me the galaxies didn't have the same charm and cuteness as the first. Not trying to hate.

I missed the "space-y-ness" in certain levels. Like I felt I was a platforming awesome astronaut or something with some killer sound effects and soundtrack to boot. Also I missed that one level where you ride on
the flower petal for the first time (it's so gorgeous and green and organic) there wasn't any galaxies like that, ones that I was stunned at it's beauty.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, I'm having tons of fun with it and there's some excellent design in there, just felt that the first had more going for it. But then again I'm a highly visual dude.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Buckethead said:
Just starting my second playthrough and Rock Mario, Cloud Mario, and a couple of amazing boss fights notwithstanding, I liked Super Mario Galaxy 1 much better.

To me the galaxies didn't have the same charm and cuteness as the first. Not trying to hate.

I missed the "space-y-ness" in certain levels. Like I felt I was a platforming awesome astronaut or something with some killer sound effects and soundtrack to boot. Also I missed that one level where you ride on
the flower petal for the first time (it's so gorgeous and green and organic) there wasn't any galaxies like that, ones that I was stunned at it's beauty.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, I'm having tons of fun with it and there's some excellent design in there, just felt that the first had more going for it. But then again I'm a highly visual dude.

Gusty Garden. I think the ending of Slimy Spring matches it. (BTW the starting area in Spring looks awesome. The thin layer of water over everything just looks right. More shit like that plz.)

Neiteio

HK-47 said:
Gusty Garden. I think the ending of Slimy Spring matches it. (BTW the starting area in Spring looks awesome. The thin layer of water over everything just looks right. More shit like that plz.)
That's true next-gen. Wet and shiny. ;)

I think taking a long, hard look at SMG1 and SMG2 will yield the formula for a truly perfect SMG3. An SMG3 which will also include the Tanooki Suit, Frog Suit, the Koopalings, Yoshi with butt-stomp and egg-throwing, the return of Chargin' Chuck, an orchestral Dire Dire Docks remix, and a Delfino Plaza-grade hub world sprinkled with switches to bring up World Maps. ;)

Bring it! Wii HD launch title. :D

I just managed to beat the second crate burning challenge, please tell me that's the last one. Other then that, the game is amazing. The power ups are actually fun this time around and they've really changed up some of the gravity elements to really make the game feel new again. I'm really digging the cylinder levels, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that there are more of them (just started world 5).

WillyFive

darkwings said:
graphically it is the same as SMG. The early reports of better looking graphics in SMG2 isn't true imo. I can't tell a difference.

The E3 2009 trailer had 3D grass, so it was originally more technically advanced.

neoism

watch

First time I seen it.......

explode1.gif

Neiteio

Keanu Reeves "Whoa."

2yla5oj.jpg

^^^ Hypnotic to watch this to the Flipsville theme. ^^^

Anyway, where do I find the planetoid that bursts into bloom with all the pretty flowers? I've seen it in some screenshots...

*head-bops to Flipsville*

Neiteio said:
Anyway, where do I find the planetoid that bursts into bloom with all the pretty flowers? I've seen it in some screenshots...

It's in the
Giant World, I'm not sure what it's actually called. There's a planetoid that has you immediately placed in a shooting star, just hang out for a second instead of flying to the next area, and you'll land on the planet.
Not sure if any of that makes sense, it's hard to describe anything in this game.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Played the first two levels, love the music. NOA needs to get off their butt and put the SMG 2 soundtrack on the Club Nintendo site.

Neiteio

Tkawsome said:
It's in the
Giant World, I'm not sure what it's actually called. There's a planetoid that has you immediately placed in a shooting star, just hang out for a second instead of flying to the next area, and you'll land on the planet.
Not sure if any of that makes sense, it's hard to describe anything in this game.
I know exactly what you're talking about, as I distinctly remember spinning off that planet right away doing the Big Wiggler Speed Run. The galaxy is called "Supermassive," btw... Thanks for the tip, and I'll be sure to let myself fall onto the planet next time instead of launching off it right away. :)

Neiteio

neoism said:
watch

First time I seen it.......
This is mindblowing so far. Halfway through, the most amazing ones are Bowser's Gravity Gauntlet (WTF!!), Hightail Falls (masterful), Rightside Down (totally game-breaking!), Haunty Halls (again -- masterful), Supermassive (a complete leap of faith), and Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Flotilla (though this one seems intended by the designers, judging from the starbits on the spires...).

EDIT: Holy shit at the shortcut on the Buoy Base portion of Space Storm. Ditto for the two tricks on Shiverburn. The final speed run for this game is going to be INSANE.

Doel

Beat it today with around 76 stars (going off of my bad memory). Definitely going back for as many stars as I can. Game is a blast.

Hiltz

Only had a bit of time to play today but got past most of World 5. I'm currently trying to do the
1,000 coin stomp monkey challenge in the honeyboom galaxy

Just some random thoughts:

-The first Melty Monster level was one of the cooler levels I've seen so far.

- The second Melty Monster level with the boulder mushroom bowling was pretty tough due to the loose controls. It was the first time I died enough times to summon Rosalina for help.

- The fast fleet flight mini game is hard. The obstacle course itself is easy but that small bird is just so fast I can barely keep up with it.

- Enjoyed the Throwback galaxy and the Topman Tower level with the Buoy Base remix music.

- Bowser Jr. Doomsday boss (or whatever its called) and Whomp King were both easy but fun.

- Looks like the only power-up I have yet to encounter is the ice flower. I'm not sure if its actually in the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
fireside said:
Where's the third
green star
in Clockwork Ruins. I've been to every part of the stage but I can't hear it anywhere.
at the end of the level, where you'd usually get the power star, stay on the rolling stone for a little while longer and you will see it.

Johnas

Finally beat the game today at 105, currently at 111 stars.

I like it, but I have to say I enjoyed the first Galaxy more. This game does have some awesome levels in it, but I haven't been wowed nearly as many times as I was when I played through the first game. I'm sure the "new" factor of Galaxy had something to do with it, but not completely.

There are a lot of cool ideas in these new levels, but overall I feel it falls a little short of the first game. Still great fun overall though.

Neiteio

Soooooo, if you guys had to list a Top 10 Galaxies from SMG2, what would they be?

I'm not sure if I should speak yet, as I haven't gotten all the stars, but I've beaten the base game and I'm interested to hear what you guys think. :D

List away! List away!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Neiteio said:
Soooooo, if you guys had to list a Top 10 Galaxies from SMG2, what would they be?

I'm not sure if I should speak yet, as I haven't gotten all the stars, but I've beaten the base game and I'm interested to hear what you guys think. :D

List away! List away!

No special order:

SuperMassive
Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Flotilla
Melty Monster
Yoshi Star
Boo Moon
Hightail Falls
Slimy Spring
Slipsand
Shiverburn
Cosmic Cover

AniHawk

I totally just got "Gearmo." Good god.

Anyway, 62 stars collected, almost done with world 4. Worlds 1 and 2 100% completed.

zigg

fireside said:
Really? Even to get the
green stars?

Well, no, not so much there. I'm speaking more of the main quest. That said,
the Green Stars sometimes—not always—demand an act of "looking around," in which context camera manipulation makes sense. In the actual jumping-about gameplay, though, no. I'm using it less.

Top Bottom