• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SalsaShark said:
Fawful fits this game like a glove. I know it could get a little messy if we start bringin characters that are exclusive from other Mario-games, but maybe with the selected galaxies for each game i mentioned earlier. This is after all the BIG Mario game. They can get away with this.

I sense Fawful in the Megahammer design.

BowieZ

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Imo, they should make the equivalent of Super Mario Bros. in 3D.
Definitely this.

And speaking of which, know what I would really have loved in SMG2, and possibly the next 3D Mario?

Normal mushrooms (no, not those 6-health ones). By all accounts much of SMG2 is pretty darned easy / as easy as the first, save for a few boss battles and comets and what not... and I think to a large extent, this is because of how "game-breaking" (for lack of a better word) the spin-attacking/spin-jump is. Any time you fall, as in SMG1, you can spin your way out of it. Why not, instead of scattering a whole bunch of 1ups around all the time (rendering the lives system close to pointless), scatter 'Spin Mushrooms' or something around, that which give Mario his spin attack. Make us earn it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BowieZ said:
Definitely this.

And speaking of which, know what I would really have loved in SMG2, and possibly the next 3D Mario?

Normal mushrooms. By all accounts much of SMG2 is pretty darned easy / as easy as the first, save for a few boss battles and comets and what not... and I think to a large extent, this is because of how "game-breaking" (for lack of a better word) the spin-attacking/spin-jump is. Any time you fall, as in SMG1, you can spin your way out of it. Why not, instead of scattering a whole bunch of 1ups around all the time (rendering the lives system close to pointless), scatter 'Spin Mushrooms' or something around, that which give Mario his spin attack. Make us earn it.

Spin jump will be you downfall if you over use it. Thats why Flip Swap, Twisty Trials, and Beat Block exist.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I personally don't want SMG3. I want something new from EAD tokyo and company.

I would like it if Nintendo took the formula from SMB1 and reinvented it for 3D mario. Bowser steals princess, Mario literally treks across the world (or universe) to reach Bowser's castle and reclaim Peach.

Make it extremely streamlined as well. One world to the next. Like when you reach a flagpole in SMB1, you are transferred to the next world. SMG2 has kinda adapted this formula with making only a few stars for a few galaxies.

This way you get rid of all the clutter and the hubworld (and potential confusion). Maybe have rest-spots in the middle of "worlds"like toad houses, small towns, etc. to where you can buy mushrooms if needed and do whatever you do in a usual Mario hubworld. Being able to save at any point within the game would be nice as well.

So basically SMG2 with all the Galaxies combined together and pit stop galaxies thrown in. Get rid of the hubworld completely and streamline the experience as much as possible.

But what Nintendo is most likely worried about is that while 3D mario is always going to sell a rather good amount.. it won't ever be able to reach 2D mario sales-levels the way it is going. It's just not casual friendly enough. so I expect some changes in the near future to compensate for that. Which brings me to the conclusion that Nintendo will find a substitute for the analog in the near future. Controlling a character in a 3D world is just to confusing for the average joe right now.

I also see Full Blown Multiplayer in the cards for 3D Mario.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BowieZ said:
Definitely this.

Normal mushrooms (no, not those 6-health ones). By all accounts much of SMG2 is pretty darned easy / as easy as the first, save for a few boss battles and comets and what not... and I think to a large extent, this is because of how "game-breaking" (for lack of a better word) the spin-attacking/spin-jump is. Any time you fall, as in SMG1, you can spin your way out of it. Why not, instead of scattering a whole bunch of 1ups around all the time (rendering the lives system close to pointless), scatter 'Spin Mushrooms' or something around, that which give Mario his spin attack. Make us earn it.

That's a pretty bad idea and one of the chief complaints of Sonic and the Secret Rings. Unlocking good controls is just bad joojoo.

BowieZ

Banned
HK-47 said:
Spin jump will be you downfall if you over use it. Thats why Flip Swap, Twisty Trials, and Beat Block exist.
True, although that factor could still be implemented into the game, but no galaxies could be designed around it unless it forced you to take a spin mushroom at the start.

Andrex said:
That's a pretty bad idea and one of the chief complaints of Sonic and the Secret Rings. Unlocking good controls is just bad joojoo.
Isn't that what Mario power-ups are all about? Are you saying Mario without spin jump controls poorly?

I'm only on 4 stars and I'm already dying like hell. That bonus world early on with the flippy-panels-when-you-spin cost me about 10 lives :lol Although if we had a button for spin, it wouldn't be so bad. I've got a gammy wrist.

I'm out of my depth here. I barely scraped through the first game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Skiesofwonder said:
I personally don't want SMG3. I want something new from EAD tokyo and company.

I would like it if Nintendo took the formula from SMB1 and reinvented it for 3D mario. Bowser steals princess, Mario treks literally across the world (or universe) to reach Bowser's castle and reclaim Peach.

Make it extremely streamlined as well. One world to the next. Like when you reach a flagpole in SMB1, you are transferred to the next world. SMG2 has kinda adapted this formula with making only a few stars for a few galaxies.

This way you get rid of all the clutter and the hubworld (and potential confusion). Maybe have rest-spots in the middle of "worlds"like toad houses, small towns, etc. to where you can buy mushrooms if needed and do whatever you do in a usual Mario hubworld. Being able to save at any point within the game would be nice as well.

So basically SMG2 with all the Galaxies combined together and pit stop galaxies thrown in. Get rid of the hubworld completely and streamline the experience as much as possible.

Also, 3D mario is always going to sell a rather good amount but won't ever be able to reach 2D mario levels the way it is going. It's just not casual friendly enough. so I expect some changes in the near future to compensate for that. Full Blown Multiplayer being one of them.

Which also brings me to the conclusion that Nintendo will find a substitute for the analog in the near future. Controlling a character in a 3D world is just to confusing for the average joe.

8-9 Millions copies means its a very intuitive game. Adding another dimension is always gonna make it more complex. Getting rid of the analog wont fix that. Its still will require much more hand eye coordination and more controls than a 2D Mario that will be a barrier it will never overcome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BowieZ said:
Isn't that what Mario power-ups are all about? Are you saying Mario without spin jump controls poorly?

Spin jump isn't a powerup though. If it was, it'd be lame if that's all it added.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BowieZ said:
True, although that factor could still be implemented into the game, but no galaxies could be designed around it unless it forced you to take a spin mushroom at the start.

I think so. It definitely helps with problems with depth perception and the camera that just cannot be overcome.

wRATH2x

Banned
I want another non linear, open-ended Mario game in the vein of Mario 64. I don't think it will happen anytime soon though.

BowieZ

Banned
Andrex said:
Spin jump isn't a powerup though. If it was, it'd be lame if that's all it added.
It's no more a lame an added power than Mario's slight increase in size and damage is after eating a mushroom in your 2D Mario. The small mushroom always makes your job just that little bit easier and lets you breathe a sigh of relief, so I would have thought the spin jump and spin attack was a good correlative.

HK-47 said:
I think so. It definitely helps with problems with depth perception and the camera that just cannot be overcome.
True; it's funny how there's always an intricate balance in a Mario game (or any other well designed game) and then when you upend one apple cart conceptually, you must readjust about 20 other apple carts.

But invariably, I see this is what's going to happen in the next Mario game. I expect Miyamoto to once again upend the apple cart so to speak.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BowieZ said:
It's no more a lame an added power than Mario's slight increase in size and damage is after eating a mushroom in your 2D Mario. The small mushroom always makes your job just that little bit easier and lets you breathe a sigh of relief, so I would have thought the spin jump and spin attack was a good correlative.

Mushrooms in 2D Marios are dumb when applied to 3D too, which is why it's never happened.

I hope you don't take this personally but every single one of your Mario ideas I've hated. :lol

BowieZ

Banned
Andrex said:
Mushrooms in 2D Marios are dumb when applied to 3D too, which is why it's never happened.

I hope you don't take this personally but every single one of your Mario ideas I've hated. :lol
I don't, but read my previous post. Most of my ideas are stated under the assumption that other changes to Mario are made to create a new balance. Just like the spin-jump idea requires a different sort of camera system, etc, etc. But it's hard for me to talk about these ideas without explaining all the ideas together and that never goes down well. :p

wRATH2x

Banned
I have to agree with Andrex. Restricting moves to mushrooms you have to look for would make the game more frustrating, for a 3D game anyway. And I really like how you can get some stars without relaying on anything other than mario and others with special powers, it makes sense and makes the game a lot more varied.

My dream 3D Mario would incorporate a lot of things that are pretty unlikely, so I won't bother saying anything.

BowieZ

Banned
Let me put it this way: I was expecting the 120-star reward to be the removal of your spin-jump
(Your hat Luma flies away and you have to navigate all the galaxies and look for (new) stars without the spin move)
and some form of spin mushroom would be scattered around, making the back 120 that kind of challenge, rather than the
scavenger hunt
it is now.

AniHawk

That's it for me tonight. Just beat world 3 and I have 50 stars. The pacing in this game is fantastic. Huge improvement over SMG. The levels are a lot better too.

World 4 looks like it's about to kick it up a notch. Supermassive Galaxy? Yes, please.

wRATH2x

Banned
BowieZ said:
Let me put it this way: I was expecting the 120-star reward to be the removal of your spin-jump
(Your hat Luma flies away and you have to navigate all the galaxies and look for (new) stars without the spin move)
and some form of spin mushroom would be scattered around, making the back 120 that kind of challenge, rather than the
scavenger hunt
it is now.
Why the hell did you think that? :lol

vazel

Banned
wRATH2x said:
Well it does make logical sense to have your spin move taken away seeing as you got the spin move from the luma. But that was never going to happen. Mario don't care about story he's still gonna use his spin move.
happy.gif

BowieZ

Banned
wRATH2x said:
Because it made sense to me in a Mario Sunshine bonus FLUDD-less level kinda way? And when
Baby Luma flew away
at the end, I thought it was a sure thing. But if I've lost you, wRATH2x, then I've lost them all, so maybe I truly am insane and none of my ideas make sense :lol

So another idea: what if the general concept of building your own platforms (Cloud Mario) comes into play in the next 3D Mario game? Alright, FIRE AWAY! :D

Skiesofwonder said:
I would like it if Nintendo took the formula from SMB1 and reinvented it for 3D mario. Bowser steals princess, Mario literally treks across the world (or universe) to reach Bowser's castle and reclaim Peach.

Everything in your post that's in bold is directly out of Paper Mario... I'm not sure if you've played it before and are subconsciously recalling aspects of that game, but if that's not the case I think you'd really enjoy PM. Especially the Gamecube sequel.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
All I know is the next lava level has an awful lot to live up to after Melty Molten and Melty Monster. I now associate lava worlds with epic music.

HK-47 said:
All I know is the next lava level has an awful lot to live up to after Melty Molten and Melty Monster. I now associate lava worlds with epic music.

Melty Monster almost feels like it was intended to be the last level in the game. It was really intense for being just another level.

fireside

I'd like the next Mario to be more like Super Mario World with its persistent Yoshi, changing world map, and so on. Remove the star selector from the levels, if stars don't use the exact same level it becomes a new level; try to make ones that do fit with each other, like the secret keys in Super Mario World. Some really tough levels like Star Road. More unique and persistent power-ups. A camera whose main goal isn't to disorient me as much as possible and being able to move the camera 360 degrees at all times. Luigi playable from the start. Skippable credits. No, I don't want to watch the credits (again). Ever.

Charles Martinet to die in a fire and all of his voice recordings to be mysteriously deleted

BowieZ

Banned
fireside said:
I'd like the next Mario to be more like Super Mario World with its persistent Yoshi, changing world map, and so on. Remove the star selector from the levels, if stars don't use the exact same level it becomes a new level; try to make ones that do fit with each other, like the secret keys in Super Mario World. Some really tough levels like Star Road. More unique and persistent power-ups ... Luigi playable from the start.
Agreed. Although -- I'd rather persistent Yoshi or no Yoshi at all. And I completely agree with Skiesofwonder's sentiments with a return to SMB/SMB3 roots (not because of nostalgia, no) without a hub... where somewhat-interconnected levels are their own hub. Do we need to fly back to a map, or a hub, or a map and a hub, to progress to the next level? Well, with the next Wii's technological leap upward where streaming levels isn't an issue, I should hope not.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i have a friend who absolutely despises these games and i cannot even begin to understand why. i think them continuing to progress in this fashion is like his worst nightmare. and my greatest dream.

it's probably going to be our friendship's ruination

(past 120 spoiler)
Getting green stars now, some of them I really like but a few are rather annoying. Throwing myselfing into black holes because I jump just a little to the left or right of the star can get a bit old.
KajunW said:
So, it seems like at first glance that SMG2 has just as many shortcuts as SMG1.

Obviously, these are spoilers. You've been warned.

SMG2 Tricks and Shortcuts collection
The last amazing sequence break is made possible thanks to the Infinite Flutter glitch.
Really impressive stuff.

I'm fine with Bowser Jr. but he needs a new voice actor.
That's sure as shit.

Bowser just sounds like a badass monster. Bowser Jr just sounds like a retarded voice actor.

fireside

HK-47 said:
But Bowser Jr in SMG is awesome. Always bringing awesome boss fights.
The boss fights would be fine without Bowser Jr. He adds absolutely nothing to them besides his stupid laugh and telling you how to beat the boss.

He flies away after introducing Gobbleguts and telling you his weakness (thanks dude, I had no idea what I needed to do)

The Hammer boss would be fine without him (yeah, thanks for telling me you're in the cockpit.)

Same with the Boomsday machine.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
beelzebozo said:
i have a friend who absolutely despises these games and i cannot even begin to understand why. i think them continuing to progress in this fashion is like his worst nightmare. and my greatest dream.

it's probably going to be our friendship's ruination

Clearly he is a demon and you must kill him.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
fireside said:
The boss fights would be fine without Bowser Jr. He adds absolutely nothing to them besides his stupid laugh and telling you how to beat the boss.

He flies away after introducing Gobbleguts and telling you his weakness (thanks dude, I had no idea what I needed to do)

The Hammer boss would be fine without him (yeah, thanks for telling me you're in the cockpit.)

Same with the Boomsday machine.

Thats just tips for new players. Perfectly fine.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
HK-47 said:
Clearly he is a demon and you must kill him.

his argument hinges on being annoyed at the parts in a level where you fly through the air between planetoids. he says it makes the game feel "disjointed."

Buckethead said:
I'm fine with Bowser Jr. but he needs a new voice actor.
That's sure as shit.

Bowser just sounds like a badass monster. Bowser Jr just sounds like a retarded voice actor.

Bowser's voice has seen many changes since he was first voiced (if you can even call it voice) in Mario 64. When Bowser Jr. was introduced as a character, Bowser had a big doofy voice to match his sons. Then Nintendo decided to make Bowser more like a monster, but kept his kid the same. Kind of weird, but I guess it doesn't really bother me that much.

None of the bosses in Galaxy 2 really impressed me except for boomsday. I was pretty damn disappointed with how pathetic Bowser battles were and how it was the same thing for three different boss fights.
Even the end boss was exactly the same. Really, Nintendo? You couldn't pull out one more trick for the final boss of the game? Ugh.
But that's pretty much par for the course with Bowser. The level getting to him is always more fun and more entertaining than the battle itself.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
beelzebozo said:
his argument hinges on being annoyed at the parts in a level where you fly through the air between planetoids. he says it makes the game feel "disjointed."

You mean like warp pipes?

fireside said:
To even get to the first Bowser Jr fight you have to beat at least two bosses. Without tips. Give me a break.

You can't tell me that "Don't forget to protect your bellyache bulges!" didn't make you burst out laughing. It's not a tip, it's good comedic writing.

Top Bottom