• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Doorman

I've always considered the reason for the "stars" approach to be a function of trying to make the 3-D Marios a little more accessible to people that don't normally play those games. In this game, for instance, you need 70 stars to get to the last Bowser level and "beat" the game. But those can be any stars, and the further into the game you get, the more options you wind up with in where to find those stars. That way if some of them include a particular gameplay hook that the player doesn't want to deal with, they never feel like they have to. For technical reasons, too, spreading stars over a single environment means they could more easily reuse those environments and save space, rather than having to construct a bunch of long, but singular levels.

It could be done, but I do like the nonlinear approach that Nintendo has adopted with the 3-D Marios. There isn't much reason why you shouldn't have the option to take the game at your own pace. They could work out a solution to that even with far more linear, SMB1-style levels too but I'm not sure how well that would go over with public opinion.

A Galaxy 3 has the potential to feel a little tired by this point, and yet I still get the sense that there is enough that they could explore in a furthering of the subseries. For instance I'm still just 96 stars in, but I have yet to see any levels that play with super-high or super-low gravity and I don't expect that to suddenly change. That is a huge element that they could still explore and I'm sure it isn't the only one.

BowieZ

Banned
HK-47 said:
And towards 2D conventions? Why? Cause its more familar? The Galaxy games ignore both. They do what what they please.
I guess it's because of a simple philosophical distinction: the notion of 'platforming' and the joy of getting from A to B works on many levels, from the micro level of getting from the start of a level to the end of a level, to the macro level of getting from the Mushroom Kingdom to the Koopa Kingdom (or whathaveyou). Look, SMG2 is much better than SMG1 in this regard, but still, there isn't the same sense of "platformer's accomplishment" by progressing from start to end in disjointed fragments. Again, it's purely a philosophical difference, but I don't think it's nostalgia induced.

EDIT: Can you explain how you feel stars allow more variety?

HK-47 said:
Also I like your Atomic Clock music. It a cool idea for a level, though it like the antithesis of the large, epic universe theme of Galaxy lol.
LOL thanks, although many many people had the subatomic idea on various forums, not just me, so it was a tribute to all of them.

Doorman said:
I've always considered the reason for the "stars" approach to be a function of trying to make the 3-D Marios a little more accessible to people that don't normally play those games. ...
But again, that there would be individual linear levels with flagpoles doesn't preclude the game design from incorporating various elements of choice.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Doorman said:
I've always considered the reason for the "stars" approach to be a function of trying to make the 3-D Marios a little more accessible to people that don't normally play those games. In this game, for instance, you need 70 stars to get to the last Bowser level and "beat" the game. But those can be any stars, and the further into the game you get, the more options you wind up with in where to find those stars. That way if some of them include a particular gameplay hook that the player doesn't want to deal with, they never feel like they have to. For technical reasons, too, spreading stars over a single environment means they could more easily reuse those environments and save space, rather than having to construct a bunch of long, but singular levels.

It could be done, but I do like the nonlinear approach that Nintendo has adopted with the 3-D Marios. There isn't much reason why you shouldn't have the option to take the game at your own pace. They could work out a solution to that even with far more linear, SMB1-style levels too but I'm not sure how well that would go over with public opinion.

A Galaxy 3 has the potential to feel a little tired by this point, and yet I still get the sense that there is enough that they could explore in a furthering of the subseries. For instance I'm still just 96 stars in, but I have yet to see any levels that play with super-high or super-low gravity and I don't expect that to suddenly change. That is a huge element that they could still explore and I'm sure it isn't the only one.

Return of the metal cap!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Action platformers are my second most hated sub genre, next to puzzle platformers. And yet I love the Galaxy series. Take that for what it's worth I suppose. The art, the controls, the variety, the bite-sizedness, the star system, just all make the game so palatable to me. I'm not even a particularly big fan of the Nintendo universe but most levels give me a big grin during the flyover and at several other points. Even when I die half the time I'm laughing. Games are just amazing.

Neiteio said:
I would still think the SM64 battles are more iconic, more badass and more fun. It usually takes me a couple throws to hit the bomb, so it's not as quick as you make it sound. And I like to "roleplay" the battle by deliberately baiting Bowser around the stage. Getting hands-on and swinging the massive monster by the tail is simply awesome,

And Carl Winslow, ftw!

alright. i accept your position here... who am i to say that some people don't think its better, eh?

carl winslow: the great equalizer.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Max said:
I should wait till after E3 to fork out the money to buy a Wii for this, right?
I doubt WiiHD will me announced this year but E3 is also less than a month away. Unless you need play Galaxy/2 this minute then it couldn't hurt to wait.

Jive Turkey said:
You're absolutely right. Amazon should pay nearly 10 times as much for their supersaver shipping. You have two options:

1. Arrange for pick-up at your local post office.
2. Pay to pick a different carrier.

If your carrier didn't contact you as you claim then again your issue is with USPS not Amazon.

EDIT: That link is awesome. People bitching about USPS policy and blaming Amazon.

Amazon HAS more then one choice you know. They mostly use USPS or UPS and they can pick which one they want to use.

They simply like to pick the shitty one . . . thats what I and others are bitching about. I'm not even using the free supersaver shipping, so sorry if people who pay to get their stuff delivered to them bitch about it not being done in a better and more effective manner because Amazon likes to save money.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Black-Wind said:
Amazon HAS more then one choice you know. They mostly use USPS or UPS and they can pick which one they want to use.

They simply like to pick the shitty one . . . thats what I and others are bitching about. I'm not even using the free supersaver shipping, so sorry if people who pay to get their stuff delivered to them bitch about it not being done in a better and more effective manner because Amazon likes to save money.
All right now you're just being retarded. You are entirely in control of which shipping company Amazon uses to deliver your items. If you don't want them to use USPS select UPS delivery. How do you not get this?

Anyway this has gotten way off topic so I'm not going to bother with responding to you anymore unless you want to talk about Super Mario Galaxy 2. Soooo...Talk to you on Tuesday.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What's with the Gearmo levels about bringing him an enemy? One of the last stars I have is to annoyingly make a red top follow me past infinitely spawning bombs and yellow tops...really? :\

Jive Turkey said:
All right now you're just being retarded. You are entirely in control of which shipping company Amazon uses to deliver your items. If you don't want them to use USPS select UPS delivery. How do you not get this?

Anyway this has gotten way off topic so I'm not going to bother with responding to you anymore unless you want to talk about Super Mario Galaxy 2. Soooo...Talk to you on Tuesday.
Still blaming them.
Even if I had opted for a "faster shipping/ more money shipping" (which would make no sense seeing as I had no problem with the expected time it would come . . . but that date was last week) theres no guarantee it will happen any better with them on the subject of getting there on time. Their the only one I seem to have this problem with seeing as all other places make sure I get my shit on time.

So if Amazon wants to chose if their gonna give you your shit with either USPS or UPS for their Standard Shipping service and expect you to lay down more money to get that shit on time with UPS then so be it . . . I'm gonna bitch about them doing such. >_>

See you on Tuesday :p

Chatin

On a World S Comet Challenge:
On Boss Blitz. That horrible mole. Eats up way too much of my time, trying and failing to catch up to that son of a bitch. Turned the game off. I'll aim for Stars 119 and 120, again, tomorrow. Gah!

Koodo

Banned
Post-120 stuff:
the green stars for the Rolling Coaster Galaxy were evil; I died so much. In fact, most of the green stars for the motion-controlled galaxies have been pretty painful. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chatin said:
On a World S Comet Challenge:
On Boss Blitz. That horrible mole. Eats up way too much of my time, trying and failing to catch up to that son of a bitch. Turned the game off. I'll aim for Stars 119 and 120, again, tomorrow. Gah!
when he gets angry, ground-pound once, when he comes at you again run to his side and do another butt-stomp there. he won't be able to turn around quickly enough to stop you, and you'll be in prime position to spin his ass.

quadrax1s

Neo Member
I ordered my game from Wal-Mart online so I could get a 20 dollar gift certificate... but damn it's taking forever for me to get my game! I'm getting antsy...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SuperAndroid17 said:
The desert/water themed galaxies in SMG2 pale so much in Music/Design.. compared to dusty dune/beach bowl.

:/
Cosmic Cove and Slimy Spring are not bad.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Papercuts said:
What's with the Gearmo levels about bringing him an enemy? One of the last stars I have is to annoyingly make a red top follow me past infinitely spawning bombs and yellow tops...really? :\

That one is easy. Throwing the bombs away helps you get past it, but the little tops arent too much trouble.

BowieZ

Banned
SuperAndroid17 said:
The desert/water themed galaxies in SMG2 pale so much in Music/Design.. compared to dusty dune/beach bowl.

:/
I thought Slipsand Galaxy far exceeds Dusty Dune in both music and design... :p

Papercuts

HK-47 said:
That one is easy. Throwing the bombs away helps you get past it, but the little tops arent too much trouble.

It wasn't really hard, I was mainly saying it because I hate that the game basically blows a star on something like that, same with the goomba version. I would rather have a specified gearmo and chimp galaxy instead of having their appearance suck potential out of another stage.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Papercuts said:
It wasn't really hard, I was mainly saying it because I hate that the game basically blows a star on something like that, same with the goomba version. I would rather have a specified gearmo and chimp galaxy instead of having their appearance suck potential out of another stage.

Chimp is awesome, but you are right. Gimme back that Melty Monster star!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BowieZ said:
I thought Slipsand Galaxy far exceeds Dusty Dune in both music and design... :p
Music maybe. Design? Not a chance. The hourglass levels and the crazy purple coins and the tornados. Awesome stuff.

Papercuts

HK-47 said:
Chimp is awesome, but you are right. Gimme back that Melty Monster star!

I really like the chimp, but all of his games could get accomplished the same way in more generic space stages. I agree with you on Melty Monster though, the first star was insanely awesome.

Fuck gearmo though. Both games, all his stars are a waste of time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Papercuts said:
I really like the chimp, but all of his games could get accomplished the same way in more generic space stages. I agree with you on Melty Monster though, the first star was insanely awesome.

Fuck gearmo though. Both games, all his stars are a waste of time.

I actually liked how tough the bombs were. You had to be really precise. The fire flower, in addition to being the worst 3D Mario powerup, also was insanely easier if you just moved down to the bottom of the stage and threw fireballs up.

Papercuts

HK-47 said:
I actually liked how tough the bombs were. You had to be really precise. The fire flower, in addition to being the worst 3D Mario powerup, also was insanely easier if you just moved down to the bottom of the stage and threw fireballs up.

I tried that with the fireflower but it was really inconsistent(second crate stage anyway). It would sometimes hit the entire row, but also sometimes stop before the last crate. I think I liked the bombs more actually, though the game basically told you where to toss them so I never found it that hard, it just had no room for error.

And whoever made that daredevil star for the boss you use the fireflower on is a horrible person. I beat it on my second try but was right in its face and thought I was going to die. Really wish that was just mapped to a button.

HK-47 said:
Cosmic Cove and Slimy Spring are not bad.

Cosmic cove is amazing

I was talking about Starshine Beach, It was just awful. In slipsand galaxy.. I was hoping to go inside that giant pyramid but meh

Dusty dune shits all over slipsand.

The_Dude

Can someone tell me how the hell I'm supposed to get
the first green star in Stone Cyclone Galaxy
? I pretty much breezed through the main game and am now stuck on this stupid thing. The crap camera on this part just makes it worse. Even trying what worked in this YouTube video doesn't seem to get me any closer to getting it. I haven't been this pissed off at a game for years.

The_Dude said:
Can someone tell me how the hell I'm supposed to get
the first green star in Stone Cyclone Galaxy
? I pretty much breezed through the main game and am now stuck on this stupid thing. The crap camera on this part just makes it worse. Even trying what worked in this YouTube video doesn't seem to get me any closer to getting it. I haven't been this pissed off at a game for years.
Hehe, I think that's the hardest green star to get. A triple jump/spin will get you there, but just try to aim for the left of the star, which will help lining you up when the camera changes.

The_Dude

donkey show said:
Hehe, I think that's the hardest green star to get. A triple jump/spin will get you there, but just try to aim for the left of the star, which will help lining you up when the camera changes.
Thanks for the tip, I finally got the bastard! I seriously could have put my Wii remote through the TV with that one :lol I swear there is some secret game development rule that any awesome game has to have at least one frustrating part!

Zing

Banned
Let me in said:
I'm at about 68 stars. I've been avoiding a lot of the prankster comets due to the anticipated frustration.

The comets in this game are infinitely easier than the ones in SMG1. Many are able to be completed in two minutes or less. I'm actually a little disappointed that they are so easy.

AniHawk

Just beat world 6 and I have 106 stars.

so far, smg2 >> nsmbw >>>> smg

best mario game ever. best platformer ever. i almost don't want zelda to come out this year because it feels like that experience has already been filled.

edit: the credits music is amaaaazing

Zing

Banned
Just finished the game with 83 stars. I would normally play through a few more of the earlier stars, but my daughter prefers to play the "new" galaxies. So I play the first start of each galaxy and move on the to next, coming back to the other stars when she isn't around.

Is there anyway to tell from the map screen if you have played through a particular star as Luigi (unlocking the ghost)?

MrDaravon

Black-Wind said:
Still blaming them.
Even if I had opted for a "faster shipping/ more money shipping" (which would make no sense seeing as I had no problem with the expected time it would come . . . but that date was last week) theres no guarantee it will happen any better with them on the subject of getting there on time. Their the only one I seem to have this problem with seeing as all other places make sure I get my shit on time.

So if Amazon wants to chose if their gonna give you your shit with either USPS or UPS for their Standard Shipping service and expect you to lay down more money to get that shit on time with UPS then so be it . . . I'm gonna bitch about them doing such. >_>

:lol :lol :lol

Zing

Banned
When did Amazon stop their exclusive use of UPS? I haven't ordered from Amazon US in a few years.

When I worked at the Fedex Services headquarters, I ordered a lot of things from Amazon. I always thought the UPS guys might get nervous about delivering packages to a Fedex building.

CaVaYeRo

second page again? wtf, guys!

I'm preparing a special feature on the best moments of the game. I have some ranked ideas, but I'd love to hear some more from you.

I want to be kind of regular with the amount of content from each world, so I'll try and pick 1-2 moments from each.

MrDaravon

Zing said:
When did Amazon stop their exclusive use of UPS? I haven't ordered from Amazon US in a few years.

When I worked at the Fedex Services headquarters, I ordered a lot of things from Amazon. I always thought the UPS guys might get nervous about delivering packages to a Fedex building.

Anything I've overnighted for several years has usually been FedEx'd, but UPS is still the only/default 2/3 day option as far as I'm aware.

Top Bottom