• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Max said:
I should wait till after E3 to fork out the money to buy a Wii for this, right?

It's an amazing game you should not miss... but yes. Two weeks, but if they say, "And it's coming in November!" you drive to the store that day and buy a Wii and Galaxy 2.

I got to the
Throwback Galaxy
last night in World 6. I was not spoiled before that and man I was just pumped as soon as I saw it and heard the music! This game never stops delivering, it's unbelievable.

Nabs

Scythesurge said:
I got to the
Throwback Galaxy
last night in World 6. I was not spoiled before that and man I was just pumped as soon as I saw it and heard the music! This game never stops delivering, it's unbelievable.
lucky

Cygnus X-1

AniHawk said:
Just beat world 6 and I have 106 stars.

so far, smg2 >> nsmbw >>>> smg

best mario game ever. best platformer ever. i almost don't want zelda to come out this year because it feels like that experience has already been filled.

edit: the credits music is amaaaazing

And we EU-dudes still have to wait. What a world.

bounchfx

Papercuts said:
And whoever made that daredevil star for the boss you use the fireflower on is a horrible person. I beat it on my second try but was right in its face and thought I was going to die. Really wish that was just mapped to a button.

this, I just finished with this, and the fucking thing doesn't respond at all. I fucking hate motion controls. I had to retry a few times to get it because he just wouldn't throw fireballs. it should totally be mapped to a button :\

so when you find a hidden star, do you drop everything and get it right away, or do the star you're on first

i mean your personal preference

Zing said:
When did Amazon stop their exclusive use of UPS? I haven't ordered from Amazon US in a few years.

When I worked at the Fedex Services headquarters, I ordered a lot of things from Amazon. I always thought the UPS guys might get nervous about delivering packages to a Fedex building.

IDK, but it seems like it was fairly recent (year wise).

They now use mostly USPS and UPS for standard shipping . . . and if the item is small they just go with USPS most all the time. But thats OK to some people because even if it's way more troublesome for your, the buyer, it saves them some money and you could always pick the faster, more costly shipping which commonly uses UPS. :/

Chatin

I'll probably use youtube to get all the
green stars
too. I'm satisfied with the 120, and will probably just put the game away, otherwise. The camera doesn't give you enough control for me to enjoy that bit of exploration.

bounchfx

not sure if this has been mentioned, but if anyone needs starbits, melty molton star #2 just got me 800 in under 15 minutes lol

EmCeeGramr said:
so when you find a hidden star, do you drop everything and get it right away, or do the star you're on first

i mean your personal preference
I always go for the hidden star first. Especially when I already have enough coins for the hungry Luma.

zigg

Color me shocked there are people who can't find the
Green Stars

I mean, not being able to get one, that's one thing. Not being able to find them? Maybe like one or two were even slightly difficult to locate.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
othersteve said:
God yes. It wasn't awful after I learned to use
Cloud Mario to skip the last two radial electrocuting thingies
zigg said:
I used it to
skip the first two, actually... or at least the tail end of the first one. The last one I could hop a little around on and just long-jump right into the Launch Star.
Oh boy, I got to try this. That's the part in the
Perfect Run
where I stopped trying after hours of playing and getting
green starts
. The
absence of checkpoints
wasn't a big incentive at the moment, there's only so much Yoshi moaning I can stand in that first easy area.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
bounchfx said:
this, I just finished with this, and the fucking thing doesn't respond at all. I fucking hate motion controls. I had to retry a few times to get it because he just wouldn't throw fireballs. it should totally be mapped to a button :\

I think its less that motion controls suck, and moreso that the fireflower fucking sucks and makes no sense when mapped to waggle. Its a shitty, shitty power-up in Galaxy and having to manually aim with the analogue stick like a platformer and shake the fucking remote to throw a fireball is goddamn stupid.

I was bummed to hear Nintendo felt it neccessary to bring it back.

Past 120 spoiler/questions:
How are you supposed to get the second green star in Bowser's Galaxy Generator? I ended up just using Yoshi infinite flutter to get there, only other way I can think of is maybe bringing fire-hot yoshi back to the seesaw, is that it?

MvmntInGrn said:
Past 120 spoiler/questions:
How are you supposed to get the second green star in Bowser's Galaxy Generator? I ended up just using Yoshi infinite flutter to get there, only other way I can think of is maybe bringing fire-hot yoshi back to the seesaw, is that it?

Running start -> Yoshi flutter jump -> Yoshicide -> STAR GET

Peff

Actually I think the way it's meant to be is
to keep Cloud Mario by finishing the previous part with backflips. You should have one cloud left, more than enough to reach the green star.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got my first game over on the Fluzzard second level aiming for the comet coin. TERRIBLE mechanic, I seriously can't believe something so awful to control is a part of this game. The actual levels/races are simple, but when it comes time for precision with the gates in that second level it's rage quit worthy.

XenoRaven

Finally got to sit down and start playing this. Glad to be back to Galaxy craziness again. One thing though, I would really like it if my Wii remote would stop acting crazy. The buttons work fine, but the pointer thing seems to flash on and off like a strobe light. Makes it hard to grab star bits and aim Yoshi's tongue. Anyone else ever have this problem and know how to fix it? Maybe too many wireless signals bouncing around in my house?

zigg

Papercuts said:
Got my first game over on the Fluzzard second level aiming for the comet coin. TERRIBLE mechanic, I seriously can't believe something so awful to control is a part of this game. The actual levels/races are simple, but when it comes time for precision with the gates in that second level it's rage quit worthy.

I'm really starting to feel like I'm pissing in the wind here—a strong wind—but Fluzzard really just needs a light touch. Really was no trouble.

XenoRaven said:
Finally got to sit down and start playing this. Glad to be back to Galaxy craziness again. One thing though, I would really like it if my Wii remote would stop acting crazy. The buttons work fine, but the pointer thing seems to flash on and off like a strobe light. Makes it hard to grab star bits and aim Yoshi's tongue. Anyone else ever have this problem and know how to fix it? Maybe too many wireless signals bouncing around in my house?

The Wii Remote works by sensing infrared light that's coming from your sensor bar; it's probably being confused by other light sources. Try turning lamps off that are in front of where you're playing, closing windows, etc. You might also get some joy from relocating your sensor bar from top to bottom or vice versa (I only seem to be able to run mine on bottom, for example.) Failing all that, check sensitivity in the Wii settings menu.

InsaneZero said:
Running start -> Yoshi flutter jump -> Yoshicide -> STAR GET
Actually, the "real" way is awesome, assuming it's actually the intended method (and I believe it is).
You have to get the Cloud Suit from the previous area, ride the elevator all the way to the top, and then long jump toward the wall to the right just underneath the lava. Then, use ONE cloud lift and carefully leap to the secret passage underneath the lava ceiling. This takes you all the way to the launch star.

From there, juke the Magikoopa on the bridge and long jump, cloud lift, long jump, cloud lift, long jump.

Phew!

zigg

othersteve said:
Actually, the "real" way is awesome, assuming it's actually the intended method (and I believe it is).
You have to get the Cloud Suit from the previous area, ride the elevator all the way to the top, and then long jump toward the wall to the right just underneath the lava. Then, use ONE cloud lift and carefully leap to the secret passage underneath the lava ceiling. This takes you all the way to the launch star.

From there, juke the Magikoopa on the bridge and long jump, cloud lift, long jump, cloud lift, long jump.

Phew!

Reminds me of
Shiverburn's... third Green Star? Where you had to preserve the cloud suit over the lava planetoid with the moving platforms.
Which makes me wonder if there's an easier solution for that one now. :D

Papercuts

zigg said:
I'm really starting to feel like I'm pissing in the wind here—a strong wind—but Fluzzard really just needs a light touch. Really was no trouble.

I tried pretty much every variant of control. To get the second gate on Fleet Glide Galaxy you don't go fast enough unless you do a hard turn. I tried it light and just didn't get far enough, sometimes turning left made the bird flip out and turn right, sometimes you'd barely miss and try to recorrect and nip the gate for an instant death, etc. The 3-5 gates were fine, it was just 2 that was constantly killing me.

Milabrega

My spot for Starbit farming:

Sweet Mystery Galaxy, first check point. There are two stars out off the side, some bits on the road and a 1up mushroom. Grab the bits, then the 1up die rinse and repeat. Should take 10 minutes maybe less. With the 1ups for each 100 starbit you end up with a net gain in lives.

Hiltz

Beat the game with 75 stars. Now slowly trying to find the rest of the hidden ones.

That blue monkey is pissing me off. Still trying to do the
1,000 coin stomp challenge
and got up to 9,100 points when one of those octorock-like spitting enemies knocked me over the edge of the level and fell to my doom.

Nabs

Milabrega said:
My spot for Starbit farming:

Sweet Mystery Galaxy, first check point. There are two stars out off the side, some bits on the road and a 1up mushroom. Grab the bits, then the 1up die rinse and repeat. Should take 10 minutes maybe less. With the 1ups for each 100 starbit you end up with a net gain in lives.

I like "A Stroll Down Rolling Lane" (Melty Monster)

fireside

Papercuts said:
I tried pretty much every variant of control. To get the second gate on Fleet Glide Galaxy you don't go fast enough unless you do a hard turn. I tried it light and just didn't get far enough, sometimes turning left made the bird flip out and turn right, sometimes you'd barely miss and try to recorrect and nip the gate for an instant death, etc. The 3-5 gates were fine, it was just 2 that was constantly killing me.
I don't think it's possible to go through the second gate without then bumping the floor of the level. But that shouldn't kill you.

Hiltz said:
Beat the game with 75 stars. Now slowly trying to find the rest of the hidden ones.

and got up to 9,100 points when one of those octorock-like spitting enemies knocked me over the edge of the level and fell to my doom.
Keep in mind you can score a shit ton of points at the end of that level. Focusing on getting the multipliers on the octoroks is how you will score the majority of the points, any coins should be an afterthought. Hope that helps!

Anarchistry

Black-Wind said:
IDK, but it seems like it was fairly recent (year wise).

They now use mostly USPS and UPS for standard shipping . . . and if the item is small they just go with USPS most all the time. But thats OK to some people because even if it's way more troublesome for your, the buyer, it saves them some money and you could always pick the faster, more costly shipping which commonly uses UPS. :/
If it's fairly small, it's more cost efficient to go with USPS, and vice versa.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SuperAndroid17 said:
Cosmic cove is amazing

I was talking about Starshine Beach, It was just awful. In slipsand galaxy.. I was hoping to go inside that giant pyramid but meh

Dusty dune shits all over slipsand.

Yeah. Beach Bowl was alright, and Sea Slide, Deep Dark, Bigmouth and Drip Drop were all amazing. So SMG1 wins that battle as well as desert levels

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
fireside said:
I don't think it's possible to go through the second gate without then bumping the floor of the level. But that shouldn't kill you.
It is. Just start gliding down slightly and to the side as soon as you get out the door. You'll glide right into it. Make sure you exit the door high though.

Papercuts

fireside said:

It is. Sometimes I would bump off the floor into the gate while stunned though, which is basically the same thing.

Spruchy said:
Someone in the stream just let us know we needed
9999 starbits for the last star

Profound sadness.

At the rate I'm going I should easily have that amount by the time I hit [/spoiler]240[/spoiler]. I'm not exactly going out of my way to get stars either, just hoovering them up as and when I pass by. As long as you're not shooting them out all the time or simply not losing any lives at all, I'm surprised anyone is finding this a major problem.

And there are a couple of galaxies that are good for farming a lot of stars very, very quickly.

zigg said:

I had trouble the very first couple of times, but you're right. Really subtle movements and it's a doddle. I can do it every time now, and without bouncing off the ground into the gate, either.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hiltz said:

The first stomp challenge has a ? coin off to the side. Get it and it becomes much easier

XenoRaven said:
If it is going on and off in regular intervals it's probably some wireless distractions. I have this problem when a wireless video emitter is turned on in the adjacent room, also it makes the wiimote speaker sounds garbled and staticky.

Papercuts said:
Just try turning to the left as much as possible, shouldn't need to turn the wiimote upside down though, and make Fluzzard go as quickly as possible by pointing downwards. Then try not to oversteer and miss the gate by going to it's left. To avoid hitting the ground afterwards it's possible to do swooping motions, down then up then down etc., but that shouldn't be needed if you don't oversteer too much.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EatChildren said:
I think its less that motion controls suck, and moreso that the fireflower fucking sucks and makes no sense when mapped to waggle. Its a shitty, shitty power-up in Galaxy and having to manually aim with the analogue stick like a platformer and shake the fucking remote to throw a fireball is goddamn stupid.

I was bummed to hear Nintendo felt it neccessary to bring it back.

Its from nostalgia. Ice Flower was better since it created speedy platforming situations.

I'm starting to think that Melty Monster is my favorite level. Although I'm sure that will change in the next 10 minutes. Sweet Treat was pretty awesome too. Seeing through the wrappers when yoshi has the light berry is, in my opinion, one of the most clever ideas in the game.

Top Bottom