• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
elementman said:
Just try turning to the left as much as possible, shouldn't need to turn the wiimote upside down though, and make Fluzzard go as quickly as possible by pointing downwards. Then try not to oversteer and miss the gate by going to it's left. To avoid hitting the ground afterwards it's possible to do swooping motions, down then up then down etc., but that shouldn't be needed if you don't oversteer too much.

I got it before I even posted, but thanks anyway.

HK-47 said:
Its from nostalgia. Ice Flower was better since it created speedy platforming situations.

Also, despite Galaxy pretty much always using old mechanics in a new and inventive way, the fireflower never gets that treatment. You either break crates, light lanterns(in 1), or melt snow. All to the most annoying music in the game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EmCeeGramr said:
so when you find a hidden star, do you drop everything and get it right away, or do the star you're on first

i mean your personal preference

Hidden if I meet the coin requirement in those cases.

Chatin

My wiimotes started to act screwy, too. It was at the end of the day when I had been playing for hours, and when I open the battery cover, the inside of the wiimote is cooking. After leaving it off for a bit, it works fine again. Hope I don't have to replace some wiimotes in the future.

Mandoric

Banned
Black-Wind said:
IDK, but it seems like it was fairly recent (year wise).

They now use mostly USPS and UPS for standard shipping . . . and if the item is small they just go with USPS most all the time. But thats OK to some people because even if it's way more troublesome for your, the buyer, it saves them some money and you could always pick the faster, more costly shipping which commonly uses UPS. :/

It really varies geographically. Both in an apartment and in a private house, the USPS is happy to leave my Amazon packages in my mailbox, while UPS demands face-to-face and will occasionally just leave my packages at my office even when they're addressed to home.

It's not very fun calling in 'sick' on a release date, then having to decide whether to drive into work to get the game. :lol

Papercuts said:
Got my first game over on the Fluzzard second level aiming for the comet coin. TERRIBLE mechanic, I seriously can't believe something so awful to control is a part of this game. The actual levels/races are simple, but when it comes time for precision with the gates in that second level it's rage quit worthy.

I've never understood people's problems with Fluzzard in this game or the Manta Ray in the last... they all worked perfectly for me. Incredibly easy to control from my experience. Feels like an extension of my hand almost. Maybe the way you're accustomed to moving just isn't in sync with what Galaxy expects or something but I've always done just fine with it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jive Turkey said:
I always liked the Galaxy flower music.

The remix of it on the boss and the ice flower from 1 were fine, it's just the basic fire flower music is really basic and you usually need to listen to it multiple times in a row.

OrangeGrayBlue said:
I've never understood people's problems with Fluzzard in this game or the Manta Ray in the last... they all worked perfectly for me. Incredibly easy to control from my experience. Feels like an extension of my hand almost. Maybe the way you're accustomed to moving just isn't in sync with what Galaxy expects or something but I've always done just fine with it.

The manta was fine, fluzzard was fine in both the levels and the race. It was just specifically getting the comet coin on his second level that was annoying me.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Papercuts said:
...it's just the basic fire flower music is really basic and you usually need to listen to it multiple times in a row.
I'd usually try and chain it together so it would never stop! :lol

I've read in the online reviews some type of help me i suck mode for the kids to turn on and allow them to move along ? where is this im currently on the computer listening to my 7 yr old yell at the game on the flip switch level. where the you have to jump and spin to switch the floor tiles around. lol. when i saw this stage i was like oh yeah your journey ends here bud haha. so then im listening to him claim that the "spin shake motion isnt working" cause he keeps jumping to empty platforms then but stomps to his death. lol. so i finally just gave it a whirl and im like no bud you arent working correctly. you are getting all crazy and confused and trying to press everything all at once cause you arent taking your time and thinking about what you are doing. so then I get him to that first check mark lol and then i see the ball and chain guys being deployed hahah. man i love this game so far.

so yeah i remember reading about this feature on a ign review. where is it how to i turn it on for him ?

Mandoric

Banned
beastmaster said:
I've read in the online reviews some type of help me i suck mode for the kids to turn on and allow them to move along ? where is this im currently on the computer listening to my 7 yr old yell at the game on the flip switch level. where the you have to jump and spin to switch the floor tiles around. lol. when i saw this stage i was like oh yeah your journey ends here bud haha. so then im listening to him claim that the "spin shake motion isnt working" cause he keeps jumping to empty platforms then but stomps to his death. lol. so i finally just gave it a whirl and im like no bud you arent working correctly. you are getting all crazy and confused and trying to press everything all at once cause you arent taking your time and thinking about what you are doing. so then I get him to that first check mark lol and then i see the ball and chain guys being deployed hahah. man i love this game so far.

so yeah i remember reading about this feature on a ign review. where is it how to i turn it on for him ?

Die. Repeatedly.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
beastmaster said:

If he dies enough times, like I think its 10, a cosmic version of Rosalina should appear. He can talk to her and she'll take him through the level, but he only gets a Bronze Star

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hm ok, I hit the single part where I'm not having fun at all. I enjoyed everything so far, even Fluzzard and all of the other things people usually complain about but this is just... ugh. Game is paused and I need to vent in a baww moment here, hold me GAF.

(Endgame spoilers.)

I like having to do a run with only 1 point of life but who was the fucker that decided to take away all the checkpoints for the Prankster Comet Star in the Grandmaster Galaxy? A misstep makes me get electrocuted at the fourth area or with a boomerang up my ass right at the end and here I go again listening to HNAAAUNNN YOSHI and having to do the boring buttons-on-the-floor and cloud parts.

Call me weaksauce or whatever and I know it doesn't take THAT long but having 1 HP and making you go back all the way to the start doesn't make it more challenging or fun here, it's just annoying as hell and magnified because the rest of the game didn't pull this artificial difficulty bullshit on me. If I wasn't OCD I would just stop right here and not let this blemish on my memories of Galaxy 2. Sigh.

radcliff

Beat the game today, not all stars but I will go back to get the rest. This is probably my new favorite Mario game. I have a few minor nitpicks like the swimming controls and Spring Mario controls, but otherwise, this game is a masterpiece. The amount of creativity and imagination is staggering and the drive to keep going to see what's next is present from the outset. I didn't think SMB 3 could be topped, but, IMO, it has. And I still have more to go! Woo hoo!

Lamel

Banned
soldat7 said:
Fluzzard sucks. That is all.

Helpful tip with people who suck at the Fluzzard flights. Hold the Wiimote at the very base, not as you usually would. Hold it by the "2" button; it is much easier to control that way.

Saadster said:
Helpful tip with people who suck at the Fluzzard flights. Hold the Wiimote at the very base, not as you usually would. Hold it by the "2" button; it is much easier to control that way.

I just hold it like a paper airplane.

Same with the Wii Sports Resort biplane.

soldat7

Saadster said:

I'll give that a shot.

thomaser

This thread hyped me up enough to whip out SMG again in anticipation of the European launch. I thought I had much more, turned out I only had 61 stars! So half of the game was still unexplored :D Been playing a lot the last few days, and I'm now up to 96 stars. Will I get 120 before SMG 2? Probably... I'm in Norway, and we still have a strike in the transport-business. So no stores get anything at all until it's resolved.

Oli

80 stars in, this game is getting hard.

Is it possible to beat the game for the first time with all 120 stars?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oli said:
80 stars in, this game is getting hard.

Is it possible to beat the game for the first time with all 120 stars?

I did it with Galaxy 1, I am sure you can again.

EmCeeGramr said:
I love how you can see through the wrappers in Sweet Mystery Galaxy when you have the Bulb Berry.

Same here. I just mentioned that earlier, although I screwed up both names. I called it Sweet Treat Galaxy and the Light Berry :lol

Either way, it's a pretty genius idea and I'm really glad that the bulb berry was used for more than "spooky" levels.

On a completely different note, anyone else wish they could be 8 year old them playing this game? I remember how amazing Super Mario 64 was to me when I played it around that age. There's a lot of things I wish I could experience again through the eyes of a child and this game is definitely one of them. While I'm still awed by the game, its from an adult perspective. I can't quite put in words how being in awe as an adult is different than it is as a child, but the difference is there and I'm still juuust young enough to be able to see that I would have loved the shit out of this game ten-twelve years ago. Maybe even moreso than now.

Neiteio

Can someone list all the stages the Bulb Berry appears in? Best Yoshi power-up, I reckon. Yet only Haunty Halls and Sweet Mystery come to mind...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EmCeeGramr said:
I love how you can see through the wrappers in Sweet Mystery Galaxy when you have the Bulb Berry.

I like the footstep sounds of running across the cookies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Jive Turkey said:
No you didn't. Some of the comets won't appear until after you've beaten the game.

I just totally misunderstood the question :lol . I thought he meant getting all the stars on the FIRST TRY. I don't count beating Bowser as beating the game =P

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
100% DONE, ALL IS FORGIVEN!

2wnpmyd.jpg

Raw64life

At 106 stars and so far the comet stages seem easier than in Galaxy 1, mostly because they give you checkpoints on the daredevil comets now. I've done every comet in worlds 1-5 and half of them in 6 and so far the Melty Molten daredevil comet in Galaxy 1 is way harder than anything I've had to do so far.

Zing

Banned
OrangeGrayBlue said:
On a completely different note, anyone else wish they could be 8 year old them playing this game? I remember how amazing Super Mario 64 was to me when I played it around that age.

...eight... years... old?

I was 21. Rode out to the only store within 50 miles that had N64 on release day.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Holy crap at
Throwback Throwdown. Only Nintendo could bank on nostalgia for a game that is only a few years old.

Does anyone know where the secret coin is on
Freezy Flake Galaxy?
I would guess there's a luma to take my coins, but I can't find him.

I like Fluzzard and the chimp challenges. The only problem I have is that the camera seems worse than SMG1. It may just be my memory, but I recall SMG 1 having more emphasis on the small spherical worlds. It seems like the camera was built to accomodate this.

The challenge is defnitely better than the cakewalk of SMG 1, although I'll agree that the better music and initial introduction to the "galaxy" theme make the first one seem more epic.

XenoRaven

elementman said:
If it is going on and off in regular intervals it's probably some wireless distractions. I have this problem when a wireless video emitter is turned on in the adjacent room, also it makes the wiimote speaker sounds garbled and staticky.
I have the same problem with the sound. Been having it for awhile now. Thought it was just my remotes being old. Hmm...I don't really want to have to disconnect my wireless network. Maybe it's my wireless rear receiver for my surround sound speakers. Don't need those for Galaxy, I'll try turning that off and see if it helps. Thanks.

Thanks to the other guy that offered suggestions too, but I don't think it's a light source issue. I covered up every light source even remotely close to my TV and it still wasn't working right.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Freezie KO said:
I like Fluzzard and the chimp challenges. The only problem I have is that the camera seems worse than SMG1. It may just be my memory, but I recall SMG 1 having more emphasis on the small spherical worlds. It seems like the camera was built to accomodate this.

The challenge is defnitely better than the cakewalk of SMG 1, although I'll agree that the better music and initial introduction to the "galaxy" theme make the first one seem more epic.

SMG wasnt a cakewalk. This one just has a more variety to the difficulty.

XenoRaven

Well, I powered off everything wireless in my house, blocked all light sources, tried a different Wii remote and it still doesn't work properly. I live in an apartment complex, so my only two guesses now are one of the 5 wireless networks that currently reach my apartment (not including mine) are messing with the connection, or the actual transmitter in my Wii is busted somehow. That's cool though. Thanks Nintendo. I actually really like trying to point the remote somewhere and just have the pointer freeze and then jump over to where I'm pointing it for no reason. It makes getting star bits, pointing at enemies while on Yoshi, aiming Samus's power beam and Link's bow all super easy.

Top Bottom