• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

What are your guys' favorite galaxies?

Mine are by far the Flip Galaxies. So much fun.

Dare I say, I'd like some more motion sensing.
I'm sure they could come up with a cool gimmick that doesn't distract or feel forced.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Buckethead said:
What are your guys' favorite galaxies?

Mine are by far the Flip Galaxies. So much fun.

Dare I say, I'd like some more motion sensing.
I'm sure they could come up with a cool gimmick that doesn't distract or feel forced.

They actually took out a bunch of pointer based stuff like the bubble blowing and sling pods and underused the pull stars. Which is weird still they all worked fantastic in 1.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
teruterubozu said:
The flip galaxies make the game. Jump, shake, jump, shake, jump, jump, shake, oh shit...
Or the way I'd do it: longjump, longjump, longjump, longjump, longjump..."need just a little more distance!", spin...Oh shit...

Mandoric

Banned
XenoRaven said:
Well, I powered off everything wireless in my house, blocked all light sources, tried a different Wii remote and it still doesn't work properly. I live in an apartment complex, so my only two guesses now are one of the 5 wireless networks that currently reach my apartment (not including mine) are messing with the connection, or the actual transmitter in my Wii is busted somehow. That's cool though. Thanks Nintendo. I actually really like trying to point the remote somewhere and just have the pointer freeze and then jump over to where I'm pointing it for no reason. It makes getting star bits, pointing at enemies while on Yoshi, aiming Samus's power beam and Link's bow all super easy.

It's purely IR, not radio. Make sure the bar is resting right on the lip of the tv facade, or try burning two tea candles a couple inches apart on top of the TV.

Chatin

Have had my first frustrations with Fluzzard.
Swooping in for the green star, and just barely missing it. ARG!

Doorman

Jive Turkey said:
Or the way I'd do it: longjump, longjump, longjump, longjump, longjump..."need just a little more distance!", spin...Oh shit...
Yep, that caught me once or twice at least. :lol

Finally made it to the big 120-mark today, and now my total's up to 136. I like the way that they're handling the "back 120" for the most part, except
did they really need to leave the "prankster comet detected" siren in every time I want to enter a galaxy before it's totally cleared? That got old REALLY fast.

Some more spoilers for post-120 impressions.
Thinking more about it, I like the way they've presented the green stars. I think back earlier in the topic where people were complaining about the levels being too focused on linearity and not so much on exploration and trying to push your platforming skills. Green Stars to me so far feel a bit more like collecting stars in Super Mario 64, where they were just plunked into the level and it's your job to figure out how to reach them. It's a nice blend of the Galaxy approach with the previous 3-D Marios. And I like that all the levels are still available, it makes it fun for me to pop into a random galaxy, find a greeny, and immediately move on to a different locale.

XenoRaven

Mandoric said:
It's purely IR, not radio. Make sure the bar is resting right on the lip of the tv facade, or try burning two tea candles a couple inches apart on top of the TV.
What's causing the static from the Wii remote speaker? The bar is resting so that the sensors are forward of the TV. I have two positions above and below the TV I've used for years that have worked fine until recently. I'm not sure what else it could be.

What does burning candles on top of my TV do exactly? I've heard of people doing that before and that it works, but it sounds totally ridiculous, and honestly more effort than I really want to put in. I don't need to burn candles for my 360, PS3, DS, and PSP to work.

AniHawk

150 stars.
Green starred all of worlds 1 and S. LOVING the green stars. they're basically the star coins from nsmb/nsmbw.

Wicked Wall Jumps
is fucking amazing.

Jive Turkey said:

:lol

I've never actually died during a flip galaxy run. And I long jump a lot.

Trying to avoid as much information as possible, so I'm just gonna chime in real fast with "Holy shit, this game is awesome!" It's the first game in a long time that's made me completely lose track of time. :D

1-D_FTW

XenoRaven said:
What's causing the static from the Wii remote speaker? The bar is resting so that the sensors are forward of the TV. I have two positions above and below the TV I've used for years that have worked fine until recently. I'm not sure what else it could be.

What does burning candles on top of my TV do exactly? I've heard of people doing that before and that it works, but it sounds totally ridiculous, and honestly more effort than I really want to put in. I don't need to burn candles for my 360, PS3, DS, and PSP to work.

The static is just being a shitty speaker I'd guess. Have you actually confirmed it's not your sensor bar that's defective? I suppose the candles would be a cheap test. If those work, then you can reasonably assume the bar isn't emitting light like it should.

BigAT

I'm going back for some Comet Medals on stages I've already beaten. I'm wondering, after I get the medal do I need to still collect the star for the stage in order to keep it or can I just exit back to the map?

BigAT said:
I'm going back for some Comet Medals on stages I've already beaten. I'm wondering, after I get the medal do I need to still collect the star for the stage in order to keep it or can I just exit back to the map?
Still have to get the star unless something has changed from SMG1.

Doorman

Buckethead said:
Still have to get the star unless something has changed from SMG1.
The fact that comet medals exist is already a change from SMG1. That said, I believe you have to still complete the stage, because I know if you die within a stage and go back to a checkpoint before you collected the coin, you have to get it again. I imagine that trying to exit to the ship would work similarly.

entrement said:
What's the reward for getting all the green stars.
120 Blue stars

Threi

notag
The music for Bowser's Lava Lair....holy crap

*edit* I'm probably the only one that does this but I always sing out the first part of the theme of levels with yoshi in it.

"BAAAA BAAAAAAAAA BAAAA BAAAAAAAAAAA BAAA BA BA BAAAAAHHHHHHHH"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Andrex said:
What? There's a flying costume in SMG2?

Dont think so, only a hack that uses flying cap code that wasnt implemented in the actual game.

I'm up to 117 stars.
Still got Flip Swap PCs, Flip Out Cosmic Clones, and Double Time Beat Block to go. As you can tell, I like the spin a bit too much...though I havent tried Flip Out's yet. That one shouldnt be too hard.

Zing

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Trying to avoid as much information as possible, so I'm just gonna chime in real fast with "Holy shit, this game is awesome!" It's the first game in a long time that's made me completely lose track of time. :D

You might not read this, but this thread is actually very safe so far. I avoided it pre-release, but have been checking it non-stop since release day. Everyone has been good with spoiler tags and I haven't had anything spoiled for me so far, except these random mentions of
green stars

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HK-47 said:
Dont think so, only a hack that uses flying cap code that wasnt implemented in the actual game.

Another reason Koizumi should have been director. He said he wouldn't release a 3D Mario without a flying powerup. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
HK-47 said:
I'm up to 117 stars.
Still got Flip Swap PCs, Flip Out Cosmic Clones, and Double Time Beat Block to go. As you can tell, I like the spin a bit too much...though I havent tried Flip Out's yet. That one shouldnt be too hard.

I loved that they put Flip Out in the end. The cosmo clones only really made the ending part hard but I just love doing a wall kick, spin, then another wall kick back and forth.

I'm at 118 right now, just need the
Rainbow Roll Purple Coins, then get the comet coin in the boss rush level I somehow missed, and whatever the comet for that level will be. So double boss rush! Woo.

JRW

Finished the game with 106 stars and just
started playing the newly unlocked Special World, Pretty big jump in difficulty but I love it.
:D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Papercuts said:
I loved that they put Flip Out in the end. The cosmo clones only really made the ending part hard but I just love doing a wall kick, spin, then another wall kick back and forth.

I'm at 118 right now, just need the
Rainbow Roll Purple Coins, then get the comet coin in the boss rush level I somehow missed, and whatever the comet for that level will be. So double boss rush! Woo.

Coin is right under you lol

Koodo

Banned
I got it all. They sure went all out on that last star,
daredevil run through Grandmaster Galaxy with no checkpoints, fuck. :lol

GOTY indeed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Koodo said:
I got it all. They sure went all out on that last star,
daredevil run through Grandmaster Galaxy with no checkpoints, fuck. :lol

GOTY indeed.

lol I think thats how all daredevils were in 1. Melty Molten pisses on these weak newcomers from a great height.

Koodo

Banned
HK-47 said:
lol I think thats how all daredevils were in 1. Melty Molten pisses on these weak newcomers from a great height.
Most (or all?) daredevil comets in Galaxy 2 were boss fights though. Except for one of the Bowser Jr. fights that spanned the entire level, but yeah, that one had a checkpoint.

Melty Molten is just cute compared to
Grandmaster Galaxy
though. I was amazed that I managed to survive that one last platform with
all those fucking boomerangs and hammers being thrown at me.
:lol

rhino4evr said:
Ugh any tips on the world 5 crate clean up? I keep failing.

Try doing it from the bottom and firing off the fireballs straight forward, vertically. I was able to do it on my, eh, 5th or 6th try with 4 seconds to spare.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
rhino4evr said:
Ugh any tips on the world 5 crate clean up? I keep failing.
Dont stand in the center. Go to the bottom and throw up in straight lines. Its quite easy despite the shitty fireball controls.

rhino4evr

DeathbyVolcano said:
Try doing it from the bottom and firing off the fireballs straight forward, vertically. I was able to do it on my, eh, 5th or 6th try with 4 seconds to spare.
I tried this but seem to still miss some or still run out of time...frustrating!!

Koodo

Banned
rhino4evr said:
I tried this but seem to still miss some or still run out of time...frustrating!!
Just try to throw the fireballs in-between the crates that are next to each other, that'll destroy both the crate on the left and right side.

Foov

DeathbyVolcano said:

Ya I did this as well, worked the first time.

Forkball said:
Does anyone have advice on how to beat the Chimp challenge on Honeyhop Galaxy? I can only get like 7000 at the most.
The key to this one is at the very top, the 2 big circles of enemies. If you can combo both the circles, it's over half the points that you will need to beat the challenge.

Zing

Banned
I am up to 90 stars and haven't had any trouble with any crates, gliding, sliding, or chimps. I guess I am a gaming god. :lol

Or maybe I am just someone who plays the Wii more than twice a year and am used to motion controls.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
rhino4evr said:

Take a few rounds to check out the layout and aim for the middle of groups. Fireballs are decently sized.

Forkball said:
Does anyone have advice on how to beat the Chimp challenge on Honeyhop Galaxy? I can only get like 7000 at the most.

Don't feel you have to go to everywhere there are those guys, just pick a path to get to the areas where you can score a lot and get up to the top, don't mess with the guys out of the way

Top Bottom