• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Alex

This crate burning stuff in the later Galaxies is the worst thing ever. This is just as unfun as something can possibly get.

Alex said:
This crate burning stuff in the later Galaxies is the worst thing ever. This is just as unfun as something can possibly get.
Do you remember the bomb-tossing from the last game? This stuff is much easier, the fireballs obliterate everything in their path, just throw them once.

Alex

The early ones were easy, the later ones are obnoxious. 20 seconds and there are stray crates everywhere.

Alex

Yay I got it, man, why are all of the obnoxious things attached to these gear fellows. The purple coin slide was also really tricky (but at least actually pretty fun), and they even basically taunt you when you get close and still fail!

They need some mechanical kingdom Mario game now where they replace goombas, because they deserve to be stomped.

Hiltz

The crate burning stuff felt kind of random but at least it is way easier than the second garbage bomb throwing mini game in the first SMG. I hated that mini game with a passion.

I also like how the second game doesn't include those
cosmic Mario races
. I wasn't a big fan of those.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hiltz said:
The crate burning stuff felt kind of random but at least it is way easier than the second garbage bomb throwing mini game in the first SMG. I hated that mini game with a passion.

I also like how the second game doesn't include those
cosmic Mario races
. I wasn't a big fan of those.

They're still dumb. The bot is a complete waste of about 5 stars.

Mike M

Nick N
The crate burning ones were better than the garbage bombs, but that's not saying much. I didn't think the slide was that bad, even with the purple coins. People were bitching about it so much I thought there was another slide later in the game or something because it really wasn't that hard for me :lol

The vanilla ball rolling and Fluzzard bits weren't too shabby on their own, but the "challenge" versions of those levels can die in a fire.

AniHawk

Scythesurge said:

i was playing one that was in 2d. while in 2d it was pretty much like any 2d mario game, and it had the standard right-left progression. however at the touch of a button, at any time, you could switch to a 3d perspective, and you are then able to complete the level in a completely different way (the path along the 2d way can't be completed while in 3d). the goal behind it was to appear as a 2d game for newbies, but also have some 3d stuff for veterans.

it sounds like it was super paper mario, but it really wasn't. it was a lot more fluid and less linear. you could complete the game without ever turning it into 3d, but turning it to 3d and finding secrets and new levels was the real meat of the game.

Hiltz

Just got all of the green stars and finished
Luigi's purple chaos coins
. Now all thats' left is the tough Rainbow Road
rolling lane purple coins
. Got 99 coins and was pissed off.

Mike M

Nick N
stars tonight. Started at
, and I just can't play any mire tonight.

After completing the first world, I thought I would try a few from the last world, just for shits and giggles. Then I earned enough that I figured I might as well complete it.

So now I'm working my way backward through the game. At least it front loads the most frustrating levels, right?

...right?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, so I played like 4 stages so far. A few early points:

-The intro is definitely less 'epic' than the first SMG.
-I keep hearing that the intro sequence was vastly improved, as far as getting you into the game, but it seems like you waste the same amount of time getting started.
-Still not feeling the music. The first world where you find Yoshi has particularly awful music.
-As stated, I'm already 4 stages in, yet the difficulty hardly seems a step up from the original as so many have proclaimed.

Okay, now some positives:

-Yoshi works really well. I really like his speed, and wish Mario moved as fast. If that was the case, his controls would be perfect.
-Yoshi's tongue mechanic seems a lot more functional than it was in SMW.
-The world map is a much easier way to select levels.
-Is it just me, or are the graphics a little bit better?

So far though, I like what I'm seeing.

Zomba13

Oblivion said:

-I keep hearing that the intro sequence was vastly improved, as far as getting you into the game, but it seems like you waste the same amount of time getting started.
-Still not feeling the music. The first world where you find Yoshi has particularly awful music.
-As stated, I'm already 4 stages in, yet the difficulty hardly seems a step up from the original as so many have proclaimed.

-Yoshi works really well. I really like his speed, and wish Mario moved as fast. If that was the case, his controls would be perfect.

I also thought the graphics were a bit better. I think because it's more colourful and bright it looks better.
And it gets harder later on. 4 galaxies in isn't really far enough to see the real challenge.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Zomba13 said:
I also thought the graphics were a bit better. I think because it's more colourful and bright it looks better.
And it gets harder later on. 4 galaxies in isn't really far enough to see the real challenge.

Sorry, meant 4 stars in, not 4 galaxies (just 2 so far).

CassSept

Ramirez said:
I just rage quit over Rolling Masterpiece Galaxy, get these terrible motion controls out of my Mario game please.
You just suck, the controls for rolling ball are incredibly fluid and easy to learn. There are maybe two hard spots, but it's definitely not because of controls.
I have yet to find a part in SMG2 that has really bad controls. Fluzzard was a great contender, but if I hold the wiimote with both hands, as suggested in this thread, it gets way better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fireflower can eat a dick. Its the only design element of this game I think Nintendo dropped the ball on. It was shit in Galaxy and it's just as shit here. It's not used in any interesting ways, unlike every other power-up, and comes across more of a time sap than anything else.

Should have been scrapped or overhauled.

EatChildren said:
Fireflower can eat a dick. Its the only design element of this game I think Nintendo dropped the ball on. It was shit in Galaxy and it's just as shit here. It's not used in any interesting ways, unlike every other power-up, and comes across more of a time sap than anything else.

Should have been scrapped or overhauled.

Agreed.

I really liked both motion controls segments (ball and Fluzzard). Good change of pace, and the controls were easy. But the fireflower is terrible. Just give it pointer controls! Such a simple solution.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
bridegur said:
The ice skating in this game is completely perfect. It's a shame it's used so little.

Yeah, there should have been a level with tight ice sliding platforming. One of my favourite stars in the original Galaxy is the one where you're floating on small squares of lava and ice in space, and need to use the Ice Flower to skate on the lava, jumping over gaps and flipping upside down.

CassSept

Ah Fire Flower, that's right. It's probably the weakest point of the whole game.
Apart from it I can't remember any segment that had really BAD controls.

Ice skating is great and it's a shame that we don't have more levels using it, but it's still weaker than Cloud Mario. I'm so in love with this power-up, it's perfect:D

F#A#Oo

Banned
EatChildren said:
Yeah, there should have been a level with tight ice sliding platforming. One of my favourite stars in the original Galaxy is the one where you're floating on small squares of lava and ice in space, and need to use the Ice Flower to skate on the lava, jumping over gaps and flipping upside down.

OMG taht was awesome!:D

rhino4evr

Oblivion said:

I don't think the game actually starts until world 2 and doesn't start blowing your mind until world 4. And most of the prankster stars are pretty difficult. World 5 and 6 have some devious levels as well.

Raiden

Banned
Got the game this friday, in world 3 now, this game is just soo much fun, even with "shitty" non-hd graphics, which look like crap on my huge plasma(by shitty i only mean the resolution, the game itself looks stunning)

I love my Wii again!

WillyFive

Oblivion said:

1400731-2qbd2df_1_.gif

Masked Man

I said wow
Just finished the
Prankster Comet
on
Grandmaster Galaxy
yesterday. Fittingly challenging and frustrating at the same time, and a wonderful end to a fantastic game.

f4moia.png

That just about sums it up. <3

Raiden said:
Got the game this friday, in world 3 now, this game is just soo much fun, even with "shitty" non-hd graphics, which look like crap on my huge plasma(by shitty i only mean the resolution, the game itself looks stunning)

I love my Wii again!

The image quality of Wii games on HD displays vary greatly, I'm assuming due to the type of HDTV. I have an LCD HDTV, and I'm sorry but the SMG2 image quality is great. It doesn't look like 'crap' to me. Also I watch SD DVDs on my PS3 all the time and have no trouble enjoying them despite their lower resolution.

Perhaps you should invest in a component cable for your Wii?

Having said that, Wii HD please.

Sadist

But I like the first world :-(

I'm at 55 stars now, but that's mainly because I went back to levels I completed for the Comet Medals. I just had a little rage moment with Tree Trunk Galaxy, where I got five times (!) in a row 99 purple coins instead of 100. It pissed me off to no end. :lol Sixth time was the charm.

EatChildren

Zeliard said:
Never understood people's issues with Bee Mario. Controls perfectly okay to me.

I wont speak for others, but personally I just find the whole flying thing boring. Where the drill, cloud, and Yoshi really alter the gameplay, the bee is a glorified long and high jump. The only interesting part is sticking to honey, which itself could be accomplished by a perspective and gravity shift anyway.

I like the bee in Galaxy 2 because it's not used much, and it's galaxies are better than they were in the first game.

But its still a bit boring. No match for the shittiness of the fire flower though. Fuck that.

Wizpig

Zeliard said:
Never understood people's issues with Bee Mario. Controls perfectly okay to me.
Oh, I'm glad you "asked". :p

It's slow.
You can't do shit.
It's so slow.
You really, honestly can't do shit with him except for flying. (for 1.5 seconds)
You can't even wall jump.
Can you do a back jump? of course not.

Damn!
The new power-ups, including Yoshi, are sooooooooooooooo much better... and even Boo Mario from Galaxy 1 is better! anything would be better! :|

Arren

Just got the game yesterday and so far it's just as expected, absolutely fantastic.

A tightly condensed mixture of joyful gameplay, amusing ideas and bright, colorful visuals.
And I'm only 16 stars in!

Zeliard

EatChildren said:
I wont speak for others, but personally I just find the whole flying thing boring. Where the drill, cloud, and Yoshi really alter the gameplay, the bee is a glorified long and high jump. The only interesting part is sticking to honey, which itself could be accomplished by a perspective and gravity shift anyway.

I like the bee in Galaxy 2 because it's not used much, and it's galaxies are better than they were in the first game.

But its still a bit boring. No match for the shittiness of the fire flower though. Fuck that.

Wizpig said:
Oh, I'm glad you "asked". :p

It's slow.
You can't do shit.
It's so slow.
You really, honestly can't do shit with him except for flying. (for 1.5 seconds)
You can't even wall jump.
Can you do a back jump? of course not.

Damn!
The new power-ups, including Yoshi, are sooooooooooooooo much better... and even Boo Mario from Galaxy 1 is better! anything would be better! :|

I agree that there isn't much to actually do with Bee Mario - it's basically just a limited floating powerup. You know what I hate?

The friggin' Boo races. omfg. Please tell me there's only one of those in Galaxy 2.

The good thing is that if there's a suit or powerup you hate, it isn't that big a deal since it only crops up in a few levels. For some stuff, that's cool, but others I'd like to see more of (like the ice skating that was mentioned before). Cloud Mario is pretty lovely as well.

Cheez-It

Picked this game up yesterday, great so far.

I still think they need to work on streamlining the game. This is clearly some of the best platforming ever... And while they cut down on some of the non-gameplay fluff, there is still a shitload of it left. After I get a star, why do I need to see that it saved, talk to the fat luma, get back to the world map (and not always from the same spot), etc.? I want to play the fucking game. I have a strong suspicion that while the gameplay itself is GOAT quality, I will not be returning to the game after completion, due to all this fucking fluff. At least they are going in the right direction trying to cut down on it...

EatChildren

Zeliard said:
The friggin' Boo races. omfg. Please tell me there's only one of those in Galaxy 2.

From memory it's only used once and its not a race.

Zeliard

EatChildren said:
From memory it's only used once and its not a race.

You have to beat the Boo to the end of the level, don't you? Or was that in the first Galaxy? I've been playing both at the same time so some of the galaxies blend together. All I know is I didn't like that level. :lol

CoolS

Zeliard said:
You have to beat the Boo to the end of the level, don't you? Or was that in the first Galaxy? I've been playing both at the same time so some of the galaxies blend together. All I know is I didn't like that level. :lol
Na, that was in the dirst one. And it was easy ^^

In2 you just have to fly thorugh a level as Boo Mario

Insaniac

for those who don't want to deal with the crate/fireball stars, a person in co-star can help you destroy the crates by targeting them and spinning the luma

CoolS

Minamu said:
I have 15 Comet Medals now. How many do I need before they actually do something? :S

I think after the second star in Tree Trunk Galaxy.

But it took some time after that till they showed up. Don't know why.

olimpia84

I agree with some of you that the graphics have improved a bit over the first one (or at least it looks like it). Plus, the official component cable from Nintendo arrived in the mail yesterday so it's bound to look even better :D

Top Bottom