• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Ramirez

CassSept said:
You just suck, the controls for rolling ball are incredibly fluid and easy to learn. There are maybe two hard spots, but it's definitely not because of controls.
I have yet to find a part in SMG2 that has really bad controls. Fluzzard was a great contender, but if I hold the wiimote with both hands, as suggested in this thread, it gets way better.

:lol

I might suck, but the controls suck just as much as I do. It's completely pointless, and just continues to show how stupid and unnecessary motion controls are. This particular segment would have controlled so much more fluid with just the analog stick.

Maybe my sensor bar is borked, since everyone else seems to think it controlled perfectly, I don't know. Even if it did control better for me, I still hate the gimmicky motion control levels, just pointless, IMO.

Mike M

Nick N
Ramirez said:

I might suck, but the controls suck just as much as I do. It's completely pointless, and just continues to show how stupid and unnecessary motion controls are. This particular segment would have controlled so much more fluid with just the analog stick.

Maybe my sensor bar is borked, since everyone else seems to think it controlled perfectly, I don't know. Even if it did control better for me, I still hate the gimmicky motion control levels, just pointless, IMO.
The sensor bar is only used for the pointer aspect of the remote, the tilt controls don't use it.

Davey Cakes

Oblivion said:
-Still not feeling the music. The first world where you find Yoshi has particularly awful music.
Yoshi Star Galaxy? That place has one of my favorite themes in the game. It's really damn catchy.

Then again, I enjoyed a good chunk of the NSMB Wii soundtrack as well, so maybe "catchy" just doesn't do it for some people.

Oh, and for those commenting on the graphics, don't doubt for a second that this game looks better than the first Mario Galaxy. It just does, even if only marginally so. This game puts pretty much every other Wii game to shame with its use of style and color. Hell, the jaggies aren't that bad either, to be honest. The only other games that I think come close are the original Galaxy (of course) and maybe Smash Brothers.

Mike M said:
The sensor bar is only used for the pointer aspect of the remote, the tilt controls don't use it.
I'm always baffled when people think it's the sensor bar that's detecting the controller's tilt function.

It's been almost four years since the system came out, people. Stop being confused about the technology. Additionally, those who don't distinguish pointer (IR) and motion controls in the general sense also need to get with the friggin' program.

Mike M

Nick N
Yoshi Star Galaxy was definitely the most grating track for me. I don't revial it as much as I did at first, but I still don't much care for it.

Speaking if Yoshi, is it just me, or did the developers kind of forget the "pull on things with Yoshi's tongue" mechanic as soon as it was implemented? You used it on some platforms on maybe two stars? Soooooooo much wasted potential there, imagine something like a ghost house level where you need to pull on a pull cord on the ceiling to turn on a light to banish otherwise invincible ghosts or something.

Also the door on Yoshi's house in Sky Station clearly having a handle to grab w/ Yoshi, but no Yoshi on that stage is maddening. I wanna see what's inside, damn it!

CoolS

Oh yeah, the Yoshi pulling mechanic really was underused.

Maybe it's a hint that a full fledged 3D Yoshi game iis in its way? :O

Azure J

FLIP OUT GALAXY COSMIC MARIO RUN IS FUCKING COOOOOOOOOOL!
AHHHHHHHHHHHH! :lol

< Really appreciates great level/concept design.

WillyFive

Ramirez said:

I don't see how it's pointless. Otherwise, you would have to use the boring analog stick, in which case you might as well not have those levels.

Wizpig

Rolling ball?

If you guys mean "Rock" Mario I don't like that powerup very much too (any tips to get good with it?) but then again I'm pretty sure you were talking about those special stages that are in Galaxy 1 aswell... best thing ever!

Wizpig said:
Rolling ball?

If you guys mean "Rock" Mario I don't like that powerup very much too (any tips to get good with it?) but then again I'm pretty sure you were talking about those special stages that are in Galaxy 1 aswell... best thing ever!

No, they mean the monkey ball-esque galaxies where a star is trapped inside a ball and you have to break it out by getting it to the end.

Wizpig

Fimbulvetr said:
No, they mean the monkey ball-esque galaxies where a star is trapped inside a ball and you have to break it out by getting it to the end.
Ok, I'll repeat myself: best thing ever.
Loved those levels in the first Galaxy.

I still didn't try one of those here, but the controls for it were p-e-r-f-e-c-t-i-o-n in the first one.

Willy105 said:
I don't see how it's pointless. Otherwise, you would have to use the boring analog stick, in which case you might as well not have those levels.
Yeah, no. The original Super Monkey Ball had levels 1000 times more interesting than the rolling ball levels in the SMG 1&2. Besides, I'm not a fan of holding the wiimote upright for tilt controls.

WillyFive

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Yeah, no. The original Super Monkey Ball had levels 1000 times more interesting than the rolling ball levels in the SMG 1&2. Besides, I'm not a fan of holding the wiimote upright for tilt controls.

I am a huge fan of Monkey Ball, but those two sentences correlate to one another, I think.

CassSept

Ramirez said:

Or maybe you just didn't read the instructions on how to control the ball? Sensor bar isn't used at all during these segments. The controls are perfectly fine, tight and incredibly responsive. Some might say that Super Monkey Ball had more interesting levels, but the wii version was average and had much worse controls.

They are perfect, if you think they suck you are either doing something wrong, or you suck at gaming :<

Peru

Both the flight and ball rolling levels were easy and pleasant little distractions for me.

Oh and the 'fortress' levels are the best ever.

andymcc

Banned
Peru said:
Both the flight and ball rolling levels were easy and pleasant little distractions for me.

the flight is so boring and uneventful. i'd probably do those stupid "break these boxes in this allotted amount of time" stars over the fluzzard stages.

Woffls

Got this on Thursday and have just started on the green stars. They're remarkably boring so far because once you spot them it's super easy. Hopefully this is only representative of the earlier worlds, because I want it to get super hardcore. I've not found it particularly challenging at all yet =\

Music was disappointing in this so far, with the exception of
1) That one in World 2 with the saws and stuff?
2) The upside downy one where the music changes from high to low depending on gravity direction.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Yet people pine for a new Pilotwings...

Settle down. Maybe he doesn't.

I really enjoyed the Fluzzard levels and the rolling levels. Didn't think they were boring at all, I enjoyed the diversions.

On a side note, does anything happen if you beat a
Luigi ghost?
other than what I think happens,
it replaces the ghost with your faster time? Also, are the Luigi ghosts your actual previous play-through, or are they staff play-throughs until you beat them, then they're replaced with your play-throughs?

I changed my mind about Fluzzard. The first Fluzzard Galaxy is boring. However, Fleet Deck Galaxy is awesome, because it's 100000 times harder and looks sweet.

I beat the game. Woooo! Only on something like 91 stars though, so plenty more to do. Woohoo, let'sa go, and so on. :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Galaxy 2 does remind me that no genre in gaming makes me rage more at my own failure than platformers.

But its probably beause I insist on playing every platformer at a hundred miles per hour. In Galaxy and Galaxy 2's case, long jumping constantly.

aztrex said:
On a side note, does anything happen if you beat a
Luigi ghost?
other than what I think happens,
it replaces the ghost with your faster time? Also, are the Luigi ghosts your actual previous play-through, or are they staff play-throughs until you beat them, then they're replaced with your play-throughs?

The ghosts aren't all, or maybe even mostly time trials. They sometimes just take you to a Comet Coin, or some vaguely hidden aspect of the level, or show off. Sometimes they just screw around for a minute and lay down.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EatChildren said:
Galaxy 2 does remind me that no genre in gaming makes me rage more at my own failure than platformers.

But its probably beause I insist on playing every platformer at a hundred miles per hour. In Galaxy and Galaxy 2's case, long jumping constantly.

Tis the price we pay for looking like badass platforming deities.

Ramirez

Rash said:
I'm always baffled when people think it's the sensor bar that's detecting the controller's tilt function.

It's been almost four years since the system came out, people. Stop being confused about the technology. Additionally, those who don't distinguish pointer (IR) and motion controls in the general sense also need to get with the friggin' program.

I'm even more baffled by nerds of your caliber, holy crap.

I should have known better to even post in here. :lol

linsivvi

Ramirez said:

I hate that monkey ball and bird flight bullshit as well.

But yeah, official threads like this is usually filled with people who'd defend against anyone who doesn't like anything about a game.

Sadist

The first star in Chompworks Galaxy is simply amazing

And the Masterpiece Galaxy? You know, the ballrolling wasn't that hard, but I got blown off at the part with the Bob-ombs like four times in a row :/

KingDirk

Halfway through my green star run and damn I'm kinda shocked I'm even that far. I guess all the time I've invested in this and Galaxy have led to better skills than I thought.

Replaying through cosmic cove though really shocked me in showing how improved the swimming controls are. That swimming in space bit? Smooth as fucking butter.

Davey Cakes

Ramirez said:

I'm one of the least nerdiest people on all of NeoGAF. I play very few games per year and I don't even post that much on these boards.

Now, I'm not saying that the ball-rolling and Fluzzard sections aren't inaccessible, because they do have a learning curve, and I've already said in this thread that the controls aren't easy to immediately grasp. I'm merely making a separate point that I think it's weird how folks continually forget that the sensor bar is for nothing other than pointing.

andymcc said:
i certainly don't pine for a new pilotwings in my mario platformer.

It's called variety, often said to be the spice of life.

This is the problem, Nintendo can't win, add new elements "detracting from MY SERIESSSSSS".

Don't add any "LAZY reliance on NOSTALGIA".

The levels aren't even 1/20000th of the game and I thought they were fine and that the Ball Rolling ones were really awesome.

I do wish they brought back the bubble ones though.

Davey Cakes

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Y'know, I think the fact that they had to not only omit certain gameplay mechanics, but also only used some a couple of times (i.e. spring Mario, Boo Mario, etc.) shows how ridiculously varied Super Mario Galaxy 2 really is. I mean, hell, there's so much variation in pure level design that there's hardly any space for other gimmicks.

I don't even think I want another game in the Galaxy line, but I honestly believe I'd be lying to myself if I thought that EAD Tokyo and Miyamoto couldn't come up with more ideas using the "Mario in space" concept. Even if they finished 90% of a new game and couldn't think of anything else that's completely new, they could just fall back on previous underused powerups and motion/pointer gimmicks to fill the void, and it would still lead to fun and compelling content.

andymcc

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:

This is the problem, Nintendo can't win, add new elements "detracting from MY SERIESSSSSS".

The levels aren't even 1/20000th of the game and I thought they were fine and that the Ball Rolling ones were really awesome.

i think the ball rolling ones were an ok diversion, but, the fluzzard stages don't control too differently from the awful ray stages from the original SMG. i hated them on SMG, hate them here too.

andymcc said:
i think the ball rolling ones were an ok diversion, but, the fluzzard stages don't control too differently from the awful ray stages from the original SMG. i hated them on SMG, hate them here too.

True, those in the minority that are gaga over the bird stages don't make it a total success but I think the controls are fine even if not particularly mindblowingly fun.

The stages were decently made though for what it is and looked nice.

ryan-ts

My mom was down in the States for the weekend and I got her to pick up Galaxy 2 for me! Told myself I was never paying over $50 for a wii game again and BAM THERE IT IS, Galaxy 2 for $50! So pumped!

mclem

Ramirez said:

I've just got back from unlocking
World S
and have played through it as far as
Rolling Coaster Galaxy

I proceeded to get the star and comet coin in one try. A little while later, when the comet turned up for the level, I also one-shot the purple coin run.

Believe me, the controls work fine for me. You must be doing *something* wrong.

Given you mention the sensor bar, I suspect you're actually holding the remote wrongly for it; ball-rolling levels don't use the pointer at all.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

You like like a complete fanboy, getting so worked up over somebody not liking something in your precious Mario game. Some people don't like the Fluzzard level because the controls are less than stellar, not because it's a bad concept.

WillyFive

linsivvi said:
I hate that monkey ball and bird flight as well.

But yeah, official threads like this is usually filled with people who'd defend against anyone who doesn't like anything about a game.

You obviously never been on a Sonic thread.

It's great to have a different opinion, but you have to understand that opinions are tricky things.

Anyway, the race down the starship flight level is one of the best parts of the entire game, bar none.

Ben2749 said:
You like like a complete fanboy, getting so worked up over somebody not liking something in your precious Mario game. Some people don't like the Fluzzard level because the controls are less than stellar, not because it's a bad concept.

I'm not worked up at all, you seem to be over me supposedly being so by reciting the cliche response to someone not believing a different section of a platformer is a hindrance.

The person just said it was boring, that's an opinion based on a concept.

I have even said that I am not crazy about the levels but see why they were included.

Davey Cakes

I'm going to use the green star run as a method of getting as many coins and star bits as possible, maybe even 9999 of each. Sort of like how I went for 99 lives, 99 mushrooms and 10 of all other items, and 10 million points in NSMB Wii. By the time I hit the big 242 I may not have hit the max numbers, but damnit, I'm going to try!

Coins, of course, are tougher than star bits. For one, there are just less of them strewn about, meaning that I need to always go for coin kills with enemies. Also, I can't lose any lives during a level, since coins reset to zero, though star bits don't.

As for you people blabbing about Fluzzard (and those who also complained about the manta ray in SMG1), the controls are not immediately intuitive, but they're not impossible to learn. They require "the touch," meaning that you have to figure out the perfect way to control the Wiimote so that it does what you want. Of course, the way you hold the Wiimote for effectiveness is purely personal; there isn't one magical way that we all can agree is best for controlling Fluzzard, since we all have our own ideas of what works and what doesn't.

All of this said, it's absolutely fine if you just straight-up don't like Fluzzard stages, for any reason. They certainly are much different than pure platforming stages, after all.

I just found out that if you spin and then immediately do a ground pound, there's a different animation, and it targets any nearby enemies, even if they aren't directly beneath you.

Shame I only realised that when I only need 5 more stars for 100%. Ah well.

BowieZ

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
The "bubble ones" were transformed into the Yoshi blimp fruit power-up. It's basically the same, but without the motion cursor.

I just unlocked and got the first star on
Grandmaster Galaxy. Now I need to gather about 4000 more star bits before I can even attempt the second one, which I know is going to piss me right off. Ugh. The thought of doing that again with 1 health and no checkpoints doesn't sound fun at all. I'm fine with all the areas apart from the one with the flipblocks and the one with the Hammer and Boomerang Bros. Not looking forward to that at all. But for now I have to spend ages replaying levels just to get 9999 star bits in the bank. What's the point? Why not just unlock the Daredevil run as soon as you get the medal? At the very least, say right at the start of the game that there's some kind of incentive for putting star bits in the bank. At least then I might have had considerably more by now.

I've been playing this game non-stop for the past 4 days since I got it, and I was starting to get a little burned out partway through collecting the green stars. The thought of having to gather a load more star bits just to unlock one final star that I know is going to frustrate me to no end might be where I draw the line. At least for a while. Shame, as I was so close to 100%.

BowieZ said:
The "bubble ones" were transformed into the Yoshi blimp fruit power-up. It's basically the same, but without the motion cursor.

It's not even remotely similar. Yoshi blimp just has you floating upwards for a short while, whereas the bubble levels from Galaxy 1 had you carefully maneouvering in any direction, sometimes quickly, and sometimes slowly.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't understand how people are having trouble not having enough star bits at the end. You don't even have to touch them to collect them, just move the cursor over them. And they're freaking EVERYWHERE, they literally fall from the sky non stop.

Amassing large quantities of star bits for practically no effort is one of those things that I find inexplicably satisfying. Like collecting Lego pegs in all the Lego games.

Anyway, to collect large amounts if star bits quickly, I'd recommend A Stroll Down Rolling Lane or Twisty Trials. Both have shitloads of bits and easily obtainable 1ups to facilitate suiciding and restartibg for more bits.

olimpia84

Just beat the first "haunted house" level (can't remember the name of the galaxy, it's in world 3) and all I can say is that THIS GAME IS AAAWESOME!!!1!!!

Top Bottom