• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
DenogginizerOS said:
Decisions, decisions. My 8-year old daughter is getting into NSMB on her DS. She keeps seeing the ads for SMG2. Neither she or I have played SMG. I have heard that SMG2 is a better game overall and that one does not need to play SMG. She, however, wants both (of course). Is there enough of a difference between the two games to warrant buying both, or should SMG2 be good enough (and better) to start?
They're both brilliant, but they're both different beasts. I'd say buy Galaxy 2 first, and if you love it like we all seem to, then go out and buy Galaxy 1. G2 is much more focused on the "gimmick" (in the best sense of the word), throwing new mechanics at you for a level or two before whipping you off to the next big thing, and feels much ....faster? G1 probably won't surprise you as much from level to level, but its just as fun, and treats gravity as its "gimmick", developing the wacky gravity play through the game in a way that G2 seemed lacking, IMO

But yeah, if you like one, you'll like the other, they're both worth owning.

The_Technomancer said:
So: the Spin
Most subtle yet brilliant mechanic in a platformer ever? You don't even really notice it until you think about it, but the ability to effectively pause for a split second in mid-air and completely change your momentum in any direction makes jumping infinity less frustrating, because it all but eliminates deaths of "oh shit, I didn't want to jump there go back back back arrrghhh!"
It allows them to really ramp up some of the platformy jumpy challenge because of that increased maneuverability in mid-air.

Also, yeah, LPCC is faaaar easier then LPC. The rotating yellow platforms were always the hardest part of LPC because if you paused for even a second then you were awkwardly jumping off of a tilted surface with wonky jump momentum.
The spin is so good, I just realized it the other night that the non-Galaxy games are pretty sorely missing it. What a good freaking mechanic.

CassSept

PAL release, FINALLY.

The game is sooo good. I'm up to world 3 and my annoyances so far are minor.
SMG2 starts much better than original SMG. First level is average, but after that Yoshi is great fun. Drill is much better than I've expected and Cloud Mario is probably the best Mario Power-up yet. I love how Mario gets lighter with it, allowing you for longer and higher jumps:D
I love Flipswap Galaxy, can't wait for Flipout. World 2 is a little bit worse and I didn't really like Fluzzard level. But it features Bowser's Lava Lair, which has incredible music (AND HAMMER BROS!).
Third world starts great though. New Yoshi power-ups are great, especially Blimp Fruit.

Controls seem to be even better than in the first part. They are so tight and so great. Nearly perfect and definitely the best controls in any game ever.

Now, back to the game:D

Linkup

I know some of you have finished this already.

$41 trade in value on amazon right now, that's a profit considering the $20 promo.

I'm still slowly working my way through it.

jepense

Got it today. 17 stars so far, up to world 3. So awesome so far, and expecting it to get even better. Will let it rest for a while now though, and watch football. I don't want it to go too quickly...

Azure J

So I totally just passed the entirety of yesterday away playing more Galaxy 2. I went from 35 stars to 100 within 8 hours, not even because I was trying to beat the game fast, but because I just couldn't stop going "just one more level, just one more star".

Holy shit, some of the stuff in the game has made me a believer in video games again. I can't even list all the moments that got me so far, but fuck if I can't mention 3 or so:

-
Flash Black Galaxy.
Holy crap, why is such a simple concept so much fun to me. Hell, I even just like the name of the Galaxy itself! :lol

-
A Stroll Down Rolling Lane.
There are no words.

-
Bowser's Gravity Gauntlet. FFFFFFUUUUUUUU (Truth be told, I think this one was marginally better than the final Bowser level.

EDIT: Just rethought this and fuck what I said before, the final Bowser level was awesome for that moment with Dash Pepper Yoshi and freefalling into the inner lair.

I passed the entire game today but haven't completed it.
Bowser's final lair was pretty awesome but for some reason, I kept on dying, trying to get that comet coin.

Flashback Galaxy was pretty fucking awesome. I didn't expect it and had that holy shit expression when I saw what it was. :lol

Xrenity

Got it! Only got 3 stars so far but MAN is this awesome.

To be hounest, the introduction was still a tad too long for me, but when you get to the first world, stuff's brilliant.

The design of the worlds is just brilliant - and for a large part that's because of the planetoid setting. How else could you walk and see something rise up from behind the horizon?

Brilliant. Almost forgot how good the first game was.

Oh and being shot from stars is still awesome :)

BowieZ

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Decisions, decisions. My 8-year old daughter is getting into NSMB on her DS. She keeps seeing the ads for SMG2. Neither she or I have played SMG. I have heard that SMG2 is a better game overall and that one does not need to play SMG. She, however, wants both (of course). Is there enough of a difference between the two games to warrant buying both, or should SMG2 be good enough (and better) to start?
Buy Galaxy 2 first. If she likes it, maybe buy the original for Christmas or something.

But if you need to, just tell her that SMG2 is an "improved version" over the original, so there's no point getting both. or something.

I'll probably get hammered here, but this game did not deserve 10s. I enjoy it but I think the first SMG was better.

I think these game has a bit of steep difficulty curve. It is OK for me but I'm sure a lot of young kids are frustrated as fuck.

And there seems to be a lot TIMED parts of the game early on. TIMED challenges is a lazy game design system when your challenges suck so you make them really hard by putting in a short timer. I think the timed stuff is fine for later parts and after main story completion parts.

I hate the spicy hot pepper mechanic too. Hey . . . lets fuck up the gamer's control to make a challenge. Oh wait . . . that is not annoying enough? Well then lets zoom in the camera really close so they can't see what is coming next so they run into a wall unless they've got fast reflexes!

Don't get me wrong . . . it is still a great game. But it has certainly been a disapointment.

And FFS, speed up the dialogs . . . don't make me click 5 times to read the same little bits of dialog I've already read 50 times already!

Mike M

Nick N
speculawyer said:
I hate the spicy hot pepper mechanic too. Hey . . . lets fuck up the gamer's control to make a challenge. Oh wait . . . that is not annoying enough? Well then lets zoom in the camera really close so they can't see what is coming next so they run into a wall unless they've got fast reflexes!

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the zoom thing. The camera almost always moves to directly behind Yoshi so you have a view of everything coming your way and have plenty of time to react to what's coming next (Except for when they zoom way the fuck OUT, i.e. High Tail Falls).

Mike M said:
I'm not sure what you're talking about with the zoom thing. The camera almost always moves to directly behind Yoshi so you have a view of everything coming your way and have plenty of time to react to what's coming next (Except for when they zoom way the fuck OUT, i.e. High Tail Falls).
When it is behind Yoshi, that is fine. But sometimes it is a very top-down view zoomed in a bit close so hit run into walls before I can react.

Maybe I'm just too old. :lol

Mike M

Nick N
speculawyer said:
When it is behind Yoshi, that is fine. But sometimes it is a very top-down view zoomed in a bit close so hit run into walls before I can react.

Maybe I'm just too old. :lol

Ah, I get you now. Yeah, the camera system for the hot pepper sequences didn't seem to account for the fact that someone might go off in a different direction than they were supposed to, which leads to camera angle shenanigans.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
90 stars in. easily one of the most creative games i've ever played, and probably the most polished. fuuuuuuck.

i just don't understand it when i hear people complain about later star challenges getting "boring" or "repetitive." if the game were fifty stars long, it'd still be better than any platformer i'd played in years.

Haunted

Man, some of these green stars are tough to find!

speculawyer said:
I think these game has a bit of steep difficulty curve. It is OK for me but I'm sure a lot of young kids are frustrated as fuck.
Oh, absolutely. It's much harder than the first one. Much harder.

Of course, for most of GAF (and the enthusiast press), that is a plus. :D

Monkeylord said:
My GF just picked mine up from the post office, and said that the tin was ok, until she finally fished the lid out of the bag and found it wouldn't go on. Apparently, the top "looks like it's been stepped on."

Gonna have to wait till I get home from work before I can survey the damage, but I don't hold out much hope from her assessment.

I take it you just sent them a strongly worded email? I may have to pre-emptively start drafting one now lest they run out of replacements :(

Yeah, I just emailed their complaints department (via the form on the website). Polite but emphasising that I'd have pre-ordered elsewhere for a different bonus (or gone to the supermarket at launch!) if I'd known it was going to arrive damaged. And to their credit it's been dealt with quickly.

I will say about the lid that you have to slide it on to get it secured (it was much looser on arrival) but looking like it's being stepped on...well, that can't be right.

Ahahaha, I just glitched the game at the ending. I got all 120 stars, went back to beat the final boss, and
during the credits, I had a bumblebee Luigi outfit, and in the snow level, you "spawn" in the air. I started flying right away, and Luigi fell off the screen to his death. The game played the the standard "Too Bad!" music, and the screen did the usual "Bowser face" fade to black, but then it just remained black. There was nothing else on the screen except for the cursor, and the credits music stopped playing. I thought the game had froze, so I was about to reset, but I hear the page turn sound effect, so I figured the credits must still be rolling in the background. After a while the "The End" screen appeared, but it still had "Too Bad!" over the top of it.

Anyway, speaking of getting all 120 stars, the reward is much better this time around than in Galaxy 1. It gives you much more of an incentive to play through the whole game again. I did that in Galaxy 1 anyway, but still.

That said, I'm taking a break from Galaxy 2 for now. I only got the game 2 days ago, and I already have 120 stars, as I've just been hammering through it. I look forward to getting back into it and playing through it again, but for now, I have a backlog to get back to.

I think I slightly prefer the original Galaxy. Galaxy 2 seemed to completely lack any outstanding worlds along the lines of Good Egg Galaxy or Gusty Garden Galaxy.

JodyAnthony said:
Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos is going to be the death of me.

I laughed as soon as I started that mission. Even though I have little trouble with Luigi's Purple Coins after I found the best route to take, it was pretty sadistic of Nintendo to basically do a reprise of it, considering most people find it the hardest star in Galaxy 1. I laughed again when I realised there were only 100 coins, so you had to collect them all (there were 150 coins in the original), and then again when cosmic clones started appearing. Talk about evil.

I actually managed to do it on my first attempt, taking a similar route to the one I used in Luigi's Purple Coins. Despite there only being 100 coins and the presence of cosmic clones, I think it's actually easier, as the coins are easier to get, and there are safe tiles that don't disappear. Obviously, you can't stand still, but if you move slowly, you have a lot of time to look around and decide where to go next.

DenogginizerOS said:

It's worth it to buy and play both, and honestly, Galaxy 1 is a much better starting point. Galaxy 2 throws you into the fire pretty quickly, and expects you to recognize some devices from Galaxy 1 with little or no introduction. It's also simply a harder game, and it's not shy about it.

Dr.Hadji

Mike M said:
Ah, I get you now. Yeah, the camera system for the hot pepper sequences didn't seem to account for the fact that someone might go off in a different direction than they were supposed to, which leads to camera angle shenanigans.

Idk know about that. I just figured the sections where the camera is closer to Mario are the "harder" tracks.

BowieZ

Banned
Ben2749 said:
WhySoDeliciousGAFicon.png
:lol :lol :lol

Jex

My game just arrived today! (UK).

So fucking good. Nintendo know how to make a game. I mean, dammn,

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oblivion said:
I know I've asked this before, but are there still any good deals available?

Come on, LET'S STEP IT UP PEOPLE. The game's not gonna be buying itself, you know.

Minamu

2 hours in and 10 stars :) My wiimote hand hurts like hell though :S NMH2 didn't hurt my hand this much, and neither does Rock Band o_O Wtf is it with Mario games? The game has been pretty good so far, but nothing mind blowing. That seems to be par for the course in my experience unfortunately when it comes to mario games :(

I didn't grow up with these games so there's basically zero nostalgia for me, that's probably why.

I said only a few hours ago that I was going to take a break from the game before tackling the post-120 star content, but I decided to play for a little bit longer, and now I can't stop. This nearly doubles the longevity of the game, but in a much better way than Galaxy 1.

For those of you who want to know what the post-120 star content is,
120 more stars appear across all of the levels. You don't have to do any challenges or anything; they're just out in the open, but some of them are hidden really well).

(It's not really a big spoiler, but just in case.)

TheDrowningMan said:
Yeah, I just emailed their complaints department (via the form on the website). Polite but emphasising that I'd have pre-ordered elsewhere for a different bonus (or gone to the supermarket at launch!) if I'd known it was going to arrive damaged. And to their credit it's been dealt with quickly.

I will say about the lid that you have to slide it on to get it secured (it was much looser on arrival) but looking like it's being stepped on...well, that can't be right.

Emailed 'em about 10 mins after i posted the question... and about 15mins later I received an apology email stating that a replacement would be winging its way out to me :)

Bests service I've received from GAME yet :D

Mike M

Nick N
Wow, I feel like a total IDIOT for making the Flip Out Galaxy comet star way harder than it was.
This whole time, on the segment with the spikes and the enclosed walls, I'd been wall jumping back and forth to avoid the spikes, spinning to release the walls to go to the next set, and repeating. Turns out all you need to do is release the walls and long jump a few times.

AniHawk

Mike M said:
Wow, I feel like a total IDIOT for making the Flip Out Galaxy comet star way harder than it was.
This whole time, on the segment with the spikes and the enclosed walls, I'd been wall jumping back and forth to avoid the spikes, spinning to release the walls to go to the next set, and repeating. Turns out all you need to do is release the walls and long jump a few times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_eVio8jE9E

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nazgul_Hunter said:
Two hundred and mother fucking two get!!
:D :D :D :D :D
I'm going to assume you meant two hundred and mother forty fucking two.

Top Bottom