• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

jepense

stars in. So, so, so good. Not that difficult though, but not too easy either. Just right.

crazy monkey said:
FUCK spring mario 10000000000 times. It is very badly controlled.
No it's not, it's an awesome power-up. The trick is, you need to nudge the control stick very gently and Mario will move to that direction at a controlled pace. Tilt the stick a bit more and he'll bounce too fast. Perfectly fine analog controls for the spring.

jepense said:
No it's not, it's an awesome power-up. The trick is, you need to nudge the control stick very gently and Mario will move to that direction at a controlled pace. Tilt the stick a bit more and he'll bounce too fast. Perfectly fine analog controls for the spring.

It is the jump. I keep pressing A button like crazy. It jumps when it wants too. there was no trick.

scissorfight said:
so i'm at 241 stars, trying to figure out why the last comet won't show up...and i find out i need 10k star bits? i'm only at 3k.

...no thanks. time to move on to another game. i'm not grinding in a mario game.

How do you only have 3k star bits after 241 stars? Anyway, there are certain levels where you could get the rest of them in 20 minutes, but if your'e "done" with the game, you're done with it.

The reason I saw the Super Guide first in Stroll Down Rolling Lane is because of how it is the level I found the easiest to get a couple hundred extra star bits for the hungry Lumas. Also, I didn't find Rock Mario controlled sluggish or whatever, I thought it and Cloud Mario were contenders for the best parts of SMG2.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
After a week of playing I'm at
241 stars.
Fuck
Grandmaster Galaxy Perfect Run.
Seriously, fuck it. This game is definitely a lot harder than the first when it comes to its extra challenges.

I've not once gotten the Super Guide to appear though, ho ho ho.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
crazy monkey said:
It is the jump. I keep pressing A button like crazy. It jumps when it wants too. there was no trick.

Pressing A like crazy won't do you any good. You need to time your button presses as the spring scrunches up, hold down the button and release. I think it controls perfectly. I just don't understand the complaints about the controls, be it the ball rolling, the spring, the flying sections, the ray races from the first game, they are all a doddle. If you have a modicum of coordination and two working upper limbs they shouldn't be a problem.

AniHawk

SovanJedi said:
After a week of playing I'm at
241 stars.
Fuck
Grandmaster Galaxy Perfect Run.
Seriously, fuck it. This game is definitely a lot harder than the first when it comes to its extra challenges.

Spring Mario does NOT control "fine" by any definition of the word. It was Miyamoto himself who once said that when you press the jump button, you should jump, not when it "looks right". Spring Mario reminds me of Rattly the Snake in Donkey Kong Country 2, who served pretty much exactly the same purpose, and moved by hopping around. The difference is that Rattly jumped as soon as you pressed the jump button, regardless of whether he was touching the ground or currently in the middle of a hop.

But to be honest, that's not even what bothers me about Spring Mario. The worst thing by far is that he has a fairly big turning circle just to face the other direction. If you need to make a jump opposite the way you're facing, you have to hop in a circle just to face the right direction. And considering the only star of Super Mario Galaxy 2 which has you using Spring Mario has you climbing a tower comprised of tiny platforms, it gets really irritating.

I managed to get that star relatively quickly regardless, and as I said, it's thankfully the only star in the whole game where you use Spring Mario, so it's not really an issue when you look at the game as a whole but saying that pretending that Spring Mario controls perfectly well is just wrong; he controls horribly. No matter what the circumstances, responsive controls take priority over realistic controls.

Sadist

90 stars and I just raged at several Comet medal challenges. Fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck.

Comet Medal Beat Block Galaxy is hard the first 10 times :lol

snaildog

Is there any way to tell which star in a galaxy you have to search to get the Comet Medal? Or do you just have to try them all until you find them? If so, I guess it's not a huge deal since there's only one of them, but I do hate it when a game has you looking in the wrong place for something (ie blue coins in Sunshine).

Just finished my final exam, summer holidays has begun! Bought Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mario&Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and Majoras Mask to celebrate \o/

snaildog said:
Is there any way to tell which star in a galaxy you have to search to get the Comet Medal? Or do you just have to try them all until you find them? If so, I guess it's not a huge deal since there's only one of them, but I do hate it when a game has you looking in the wrong place for something (ie blue coins in Sunshine).
It's always the first star.

viewtiful_dru said:
You know you can just stand in place when your Spring Mario and you'll just bounce up and down on the same spot, right?

Yeah, but that doesn't really have help regarding the points I made. That reminds me, coming to a stop takes a while as well, as momentum takes you all over the place.

Like I said, it's such a minor issue, it's practically a moot point, but I'm just glad that there weren't any other stars that called for Spring Mario.

AniHawk said:

Yeah, like that's easier. :lol Using Yoshi just turns that level from difficult to absolutely ridiculous. The guy in the video even says that it's much harder that way, and that video was his 18th attempt (and remember that each attempt doing it that way takes about 10 minutes).

I didn't know about the trick for skipping the third segment though; that's pretty damn awesome. I've seen a quite a few glitches and exploits using Yoshi's inifinite flutter jump now, and they're all pretty cool. It definitely makes for some brilliant time trial runs too.

67 stars in and having a blast. Right now I'm having a really hard time with the
Fiery Dragon Boss
in Battle Belt Galaxy. Super Guide even showed up for this one (2nd time, first was Stroll Down Rolling Lane like everyone else). Gave up on it last night but I'll give it another go tonight.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Does the Cosmic Witch appear for the
green stars or is it only for the regular ones
?

Oxx

I think I'll go and get the game tomorrow.

I'm surprised I've left it this long, but I just don't feel like playing console games in this heat.

Adam J.

I'm stuck on one of those horrible monkey challenges and am seriously getting pissed off. Will the super-guide eventually kick in on these type of levels? I just want to beat this game and be done with it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Adam J. said:
I'm stuck on one of those horrible monkey challenges and am seriously getting pissed off. Will the super-guide eventually kick in on these type of levels? I just want to beat this game and be done with it.
I don't know about the guide in those levels but what do you mean by being stuck? You don't need to get all the stars in the game to beat it, just ignore the ones that annoy you.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
AniHawk said:

Wha-! That video is insane. :lol Are you trying to kill me?! You probably are knowing who it's from. Though he actually makes the final segment look much easier doing it that way.

Anyway, I just finished it now, and 100% cleared the entire game with the photo to prove it. Thank you God.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
For any of you that follow politics, there's apparently some ad for a clean energy bill that used music from Honeyhive galaxy. :lol

Adam J.

Fuu said:
I don't know about the guide in those levels but what do you mean by being stuck? You don't need to get all the stars in the game to beat it, just ignore the ones that annoy you.

I'm about 65 stars in, and I've gotten to the point where I cant advance in the game anymore without going back and getting the "?" stars, or the annoying monkey/robot ones. I hate having to search the levels for the "?" ones and the monkey levels (where you have to get 10000 points by comboing enemies) and robot ones (where you have like 15 seconds to destroy a bazillion boxes) frustrate the hell out of me.

Sucks because I really love the game and want to beat it, but I'm afraid that I'm not going to have the patience to see it through. I remember breezing through the first Mario Galaxy and it being a relatively frustration-free experience. As a gamer who skews more towards casual, I'm a bit disappointed that they flipped the script on this one, but I know that you hardcore guys love difficult games.

Davey Cakes

The game isn't even that difficult up until the 70-star mark.

I mean, there are a lot of people who think SMG2 is piss easy, and that flabbergasts me, but there's no way that the game surpasses "medium" difficulty (at most) when you're just going through it in order to fight Bowser and be done with it.

Besides, the "?" stars aren't a sign of difficulty if they're just the ones where you have to feed hungry Lumas. That's because these Lumas aren't really hidden at all, they're in plain sight. The challenge, I guess, comes from finding the right amount of coins/star bits to feed them, but it's never really that bad.

Nintendo didn't "flip the script" entirely, here. They made getting the full 100% harder for the more dedicated gamers, but that's just a nice little courtesy to those who felt that SMG was easy more often than it needed to be. The baseline 71 star quest, as I see it, is no harder than it was in SMG1, and even then there's at least the Cosmic Guide to pick up the slack.

Really, you're in the final stretch. Just step it up for this last 6 stars. Be patienct. I have faith in you.

Adam J.

I had it all wrong; didn't realize that the "?" stars were the hungry Lumas (thought they were the hidden stars). I'm going to dive back in tonight and start searching for those coins. Thanks for the help!

I know it's been posted but I don't want to search everywhere in the thread but how do I get to the FINAL challenge(to get star 242)???

I have the Comet Coin and the necessary starbits.

Mike M

Nick N
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I know it's been posted but I don't want to search everywhere in the thread but how do I get to the FINAL challenge(to get star 242)???

I have the Comet Coin and the necessary starbits.
Are your 9999 starbits in the bank? If so, did you put them in the bank AFTER the last star. Maybe snagging a completed star might trigger the last comet.

Leezard

Just how are you supposed to get 100 coins for the hungry luma in Fluffy Buff Galaxy? I can get about 70-80, but any more than that and I have to move to the next area by a star.

edit: nevermind, missed the pipe...

Mike M

Nick N
Leezard said:
Just how are you supposed to get 100 coins for the hungry luma in Fluffy Buff Galaxy? I can get about 70-80, but any more than that and I have to move to the next area by a star.
Did you get all the coins from the mystery coin above the tree at the beginning, down the pipe behind the giant tree near the start, and on the cloud above that tree?

That plus stomping all your enemies should be enough.

Though actually now that I think about it, not sure
the mystery coin on the cloud appears on that star.

Leezard

Mike M said:
Did you get all the coins from the mystery coin above the tree at the beginning, down the pipe behind the giant tree near the start, and on the cloud above that tree?

That plus stomping all your enemies should be enough.

Though actually now that I think about it, not sure
the mystery coin on the cloud appears on that star.
I just missed the pipe, thanks. With it, I got about 130-140 coins. :lol

After about two week set aside while I was distracted with E3 and everything else, I sat down and forced myself to finish the last two stars. When I first unlocked the
Grandmaster Galaxy
, I played it for a while, but I was pretty worn out, and without realizing gave up on the last section, thinking it was going to go on longer (but then again, you know what the last section is). Now, it took me a few tries, but I beat it. Then some major farming at Melty Monster Galaxy Star 2. And there it was.

And after two deaths on the very first part, on my third attempt I beat it, six minutes total. Considering the horror stories I've heard, I'm thrilled I did it so fast. :D You just have to be
ready to spin when a hammer's right in your face, and keep track of their timing and two throws.

So I've finally completed it, and I have to say,
it's a little anti-climatic. You see Rosalina at the end, which is a nice addition (and there's a 1-up behind her house, just one last taunt at you), and she joins you on her ship, but just says "Thank you." and nothing else. You don't even get to see her "finish" the story to the Lumas in the library like you did the first 120. Almost everyone else on the ship but the big purple Luma just keeps giving you advice or telling you to get Green Stars, Power Stars, and Comet Coins, when there's none left. Even the red one, which I expected to pull a Mario Galaxy and let you have flight, even if it was just for Starship Mario. Then I got to the message board to see my victory image, and it was a picture of the star icons. The original Galaxy Luigi photo is still the thumbnail for my Photo Channel, so I was pretty disappointed not to be able to replace it with anything worthwhile. Does Mario get a different photo like in Galaxy 1?

The gameplay is its own reward, of course, don't think I'm not saying it was already enjoyable to have this extension on the game. But it would have been nice for at least the people on the hub to know you did it, instead of telling you to keep going for something that's not there.

By the way, is there anything special about the Engine Room, other than it just collecting the power-ups you got? There's a glowing circle in the middle I didn't notice before that's suspicious, but it doesn't react to Mario or Luigi. On such a crowded ship, it feels pretty useless.

30 hours (including some time it sat paused, I'm sure), 300-some deaths (including some farming at Melty Monster Galaxy Star 2, plus a ton of legitimate deaths there), Super Mario Galaxy 2 completed. What an awesome game.

jepense

Ben2749 said:
Yeah, but that doesn't really have help regarding the points I made. That reminds me, coming to a stop takes a while as well, as momentum takes you all over the place.

Like I said, it's such a minor issue, it's practically a moot point, but I'm just glad that there weren't any other stars that called for Spring Mario.
The exact same things are the reasons why I love the spring. I like it how you can't just "run" through the levels but have to be more careful due to the delay in jumping and stopping (not unlike the rolling ball levels). I do understand why you'd not like them though, as it is very different to how Mario normally handles. I'm just glad there was at least that one spring Mario level.

Actually, I think this shows another strength of the Galaxy design. There are many powerups, minigames and different control schemes in the game, and each is bound to be disliked by someone. But, since none of them appear more than a few times during the whole game, that's perfectly fine. If for some reason you dislike a mechanic, it won't take long to finish those segments and be done with them.

So....now that the dust has settled for some of you, which is better? The first or second?

Just one more week till it comes out in Australia! Starting to get pretty damn excited! :D

AniHawk

Tricky I Shadow said:
So....now that the dust has settled for some of you, which is better? The first or second?

Just one more week till it comes out in Australia! Starting to get pretty damn excited! :D

The second by far. It's just a better designed game.

Jackano

With this game I feel I definitely became a casual gamer. I got 90+ stars right now and the road to 120 seems impossible to me. Timed challenges and no mistake challenges horrify me.
How can you do that?

F**k this, I want to get the green stars :(

Shiggy

Jackano said:
With this game I feel I definitely became a casual gamer. I got 90+ stars right now and the road to 120 seems impossible to me. Timed challenges and no mistake challenges horrify me.
How can you do that?

F**k this, I want to get the green stars :(

Download a save file.

I've played this quite a bit with a friend, and although we haven't gotten so far in the game I have some opinions of it. First of all, I like the multiplayer in this game. Yeah, you read that right. I never picked up Galaxy 1, so I don't know if it's the same in that game, but normally when I play traditional Nintendo games with a friend it's just one person playing and the other watching. But now player two can also interact with the game and help player 1, while still assuming a rather passive role. I've found it that you get more focused and immersed in the game than when you're just watching, and you can be pretty darn helpful sometimes. I don't know if this paragraph made sense, but in my head it did :lol

And also the difficulty... I don't know, but we both found the game a lot harder than we thought. It feels kinda weird to struggle with a Nintendo game, if you know what I mean :lol But it feels nice though. It's a lot more fun and rewarding than clearing the courses on your first try. What annoys me though is the
prankster comet challenge with the crabs
. Not the challenge itself, but we struggled for about 20 minutes with that one and then my sister tries it (her first time with the game) and succeeds on her second try... That hurt our pride as gamers :lol

Rekubot

Any tips for that level (final world)
where you have to collect every purple coin on 8-bit Luigi with shadow Marios chasing after you?
Even with a co-op buddy I'm finding that level impossible, and I've breezed through all the other stars prior to this one. I'm around 110 stars in at this point, incredible game. :D

Diffense

I'm about 42 stars in and this is the most pure unadulterated fun I've had with a game in a long while. I literally burst out laughing sometimes at some of the things the game lets me do. It really feels more clever and fresh than I expected it to be while retaining much of the tradition and nostalgia that's a part of Mario. This might be the first Mario I get all the stars in since Mario 64. Who knows, it might even make me guilty enough to go back and polish off Galaxy.

Rekubot said:
Any tips for that level (final world)
where you have to collect every purple coin on 8-bit Luigi with shadow Marios chasing after you?
Even with a co-op buddy I'm finding that level impossible, and I've breezed through all the other stars prior to this one. I'm around 110 stars in at this point, incredible game. :D

I didn't do this, but someone else's suggestion:
if you need to stop and get your bearings, jump to one of the solid wood floors, and start creeping very slowly while you look around. The Cosmic Clones will never outpace you, they'll just form a line right behind you.

Top Bottom