• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

upandaway said:
- I didn't like how the final level was designed to be a challenge just for the sake of being a challenge (aside from the fact it wasn't even that challenging). It felt like a rom hack

I don't really get this... isn't that what you should normally expect? Climax and all.

I have yet to unlock that level, so if it indeed fails at being what it was designed to be then that's a shame, but I'd be disappointed by that, not by the idea itself behind the design.

Davey Cakes

I love how some people find this game extremely challenging while others find it to be a cake walk. NSMB Wii all over again.

Also, to address upandaway's comment, I agree that the green stars feel like a waste of time for the first few. I mean, some of them are just ridiculously and disappointingly easy. That said, after giving the game a break for a bit, I do think it would be a fine idea to come back to it and go for the green stars. A good number of them make you use level designs in ways that you haven't seen before. None are harder than anything in the main game, in my opinion, but some are quite cleverly hidden and you'll feel good for finding them.

robox

superfly said:
Just got to Throwback Galaxy. OMG!

several days later, i have the exact same reaction.
the game doesn't get much more generous than this with coins, does it? not that it seems to matter...

Rindain

Banned
This game has had the perfect level of challenge. A good number of stars have taken me at least 30+ lives, and I still have Luigi's Purple Coins and Beat Block Double Time left to go. Those two have been killing me.

Zinga

Banned
Hi GAF,

Quick question, should I play the first Mario Galaxy before playing this one?? or should I just skip to number 2 and play it :D if there is like an overarching storyline I will definitely play through the first one first.

Feep

Banned
Zinga said:
Hi GAF,

Quick question, should I play the first Mario Galaxy before playing this one?? or should I just skip to number 2 and play it :D if there is like an overarching storyline I will definitely play through the first one first.
Not sure if serious?

It's Mario, dude. Overarching storyline :lol :lol :lol

As a more serious answer, it doesn't really matter. They can be played in any order. Both are fantastic, and at the end of one, you'll want the other.

Galaxy 2 is a mite harder, though, so if you suck a 3-D platforming, maybe start at SMG1?

Zinga said:
Hi GAF,

Playing the first one isn't required to enjoy the second, but you might as well play both. Personally I would suggest tackling them in order.

Zinga

Banned
Feep said:
Not sure if serious?

It's Mario, dude. Overarching storyline :lol :lol :lol

As a more serious answer, it doesn't really matter. They can be played in any order. Both are fantastic, and at the end of one, you'll want the other.

Galaxy 2 is a mite harder, though, so if you suck a 3-D platforming, maybe start at SMG1?

I just bought a Wii, and to be honest I have never played a Mario game except at friends houses so I don't know too much about them, thanks for the info though :D

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Playing the first one isn't required to enjoy the second, but you might as well play both. Personally I would suggest tackling them in order.

Sounds like the way to go, thanks for the advice :)

upandaway

Rash said:
I love how some people find this game extremely challenging while others find it to be a cake walk. NSMB Wii all over again.

Also, to address upandaway's comment, I agree that the green stars feel like a waste of time for the first few. I mean, some of them are just ridiculously and disappointingly easy. That said, after giving the game a break for a bit, I do think it would be a fine idea to come back to it and go for the green stars. A good number of them make you use level designs in ways that you haven't seen before. None are harder than anything in the main game, in my opinion, but some are quite cleverly hidden and you'll feel good for finding them.
Sure, but I thought about that and if I ever come back to the game again, I'd rather just play it on a new save file, and play the levels from start to end.

Rindain said:
This game has had the perfect level of challenge. A good number of stars have taken me at least 30+ lives, and I still have Luigi's Purple Coins and Beat Block Double Time left to go. Those two have been killing me.
For LPC just remember that the clones are as fast as you are (as long as you move a step every second or so you're fine) so you can just take your time. The space between each clone is pretty big so you can even go through lines you did before (if you miss a coin or something).
In Beat Block , as long as you jump and spin jump at the max height of your jump, you will land right in time to jump again (I forgot if it's on the same color or the opposite one, but that's negligible). You don't need to pay attention to the rhythm at all.

Hopefully that helps with something.

rhino4evr said:
There aren't too many of them. I had the hardest time with the fire flower boss..I hate that guy..if your power up didn't have a time limit he would be much easier. I beat the bowser jr cloud boss and the hammer boss on my first try.
If you're talking about the sandtrap boss, he's actually pathetically easy if you realize you can shoot your fireballs away from him, and let the sand drag them into him. I just kept a constant barrage going outwards while jumping repeatedly, and he dropped like a rock.

120 stars and this game is awesome.
My hardest star was surprisingly the prankster comet in flipswitch galaxy in the first world.
But I think it was because of a bug.

Its was rather difficult, but you get to the middle and the chomps start to roll, so I have something like 65 coins and tried to flip in the air and the controller fails, and he flips while falling to the abyss.
Well, maybe it was my fault.
Arrive again (after some more attempts) and again the controller fails.
Ok wtf, this was clearly not my fault, I spin like mad this time.
I start to get mad and changed the controller because I thought it was broken.
Arrive again with the new controller to the chomp part, and again it fails.
OK WTF IS THIS SHIT! THE CONTROLLER IS NEW!
After many tries I see that the controller ALWAYS failed when I got the 65th purple coin (that is located in the chomp part).
So it was a fucking piece of bug I cant even explain.
So I discovered you can also flip whith the nunchuk.
That is when, after some more attempts could get the star,

If I remember correctly there was also a minigame in the first Rayman Raving Rabbids that failed exactly like that, the controller didnt respond well to the movement and the only way you could beat that minigame was changing from 50Hz to 60Hz (or was it the other way round, I dont remember) in the wii menu.

But there are lots of stars difficult in a good measure to make the game great, with you failling a lot, but gaining experience in each try without it being fustrating.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Up to the very final star, and
I'm pretty underwhelmed by The Perfect Run. The galaxy itself is well designed and fun to play, but nowhere near as challanging or lengthy as I had been lead to believe.

EatChildren said:
Up to the very final star, and
I'm pretty underwhelmed by The Perfect Run. The galaxy itself is well designed and fun to play, but nowhere near as challanging or lengthy as I had been lead to believe.
I was expecting
one life, as well as a time-limit and purple coins.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love this game's difficulty level.

I beat the Luigi's Purple Coins level in one try and then proceeded to lose about 15 lies on the Thwomp galaxy.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This game eventually caused me to try the first game (because the first game was also praised highly) and, as I had a Wii with only one game (Wii Sports) I thought I may try and extend my Wii game collection, especially after seeing the awesome Nintendo conference at this year's E3.

Anyway, to put it bluntly, I'm now a believer. The first game (and I'm sure, by extension, the second) is magical. The only other game I can possibly compare this experience to is Portal. The gameplay is extremely varied when compared to most games today and, dare I might say, the learning curve is something that would make Valve proud (or envious).

Nintendo used to be one of my favorite developers, but I never really got into the Wii. If more of their games are likes this, they may just very well become one of my favorite developers again.

rhino4evr

Shrinnan said:
This game eventually caused me to try the first game (because the first game was also praised highly) and, as I had a Wii with only one game (Wii Sports) I thought I may try and extend my Wii game collection, especially after seeing the awesome Nintendo conference at this year's E3.

Anyway, to put it bluntly, I'm now a believer. The first game (and I'm sure, by extension, the second) is magical. The only other game I can possibly compare this experience to is Portal. The gameplay is extremely varied when compared to most games today and, dare I might say, the learning curve is something that would make Valve proud (or envious).

Nintendo used to be one of my favorite developers, but I never really got into the Wii. If more of their games are likes this, they may just very well become one of my favorite developers again.
Nintendo has had some great first party titles on the Wii. Have you played the Metroid Prime Trilogy?

Shrinnan said:

I love reading posts like this :) It's great to think of all those people who are just trying Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 for the first time.

Also, this game brings something I missed so much from older generations - a game that will make you feel more positive. It's absolutely true. Even the most hardened of adults can be swayed by the themes in a game. It's been a long time since we had such high quality, bright, uplifting games backed by a protaganist that is smiling right back at us. It's one of those things that is hard to hate just simply because it's so optimistic and charismatic.

SuperAngelo64 said:
So I just now realized Mario has a homing attack.

But since it requires you to jump, spin attack, and ground pound all while in the immediate vicinity of the enemy, it doesn't really make the game much less challenging. With Sonic's homing attack, on the other hand, you could just press the A button over and over again from a fairly long distance until all the enemies disappear. At least this has been possible in recent Sonic games, like Unleashed.

I finally got the game today! Although I won't have more than a week to play it. I've gone through the first world and it already made my jaw drop quite a few times, it's like the most polished game ever!

I have to say I don't like that the game is kind of too over explanatory in many cases, like they think casuals are retarded and cannot figure anything out or something.
I like the idea of having the tutorials in those TVs you can talk to, though, that really works well. And, as for the difficulty, I already feel it's harder than Galaxy 1, I would say, that's good :)

After a really long time I booted up the original again to continue playing with Luigi...

Now I can't be the only one who thinks Luigi is horrible to control? He’s so frustrating!

Tricky I Shadow said:
After a really long time I booted up the original again to continue playing with Luigi...

Now I can't be the only one who thinks Luigi is horrible to control? He’s so frustrating!

He is. I suck at this game already and playing with Luigi I find it very hard. He runs faster It just feels like he is about to loose balance any time.

By the way I don't know how you guys managed to finish the game in 2 days or some in less. I have been playing this since 2 weeks now and I am at 42 stars :lol

crazy monkey said:
He is. I suck at this game already and playing with Luigi I find it very hard. He runs faster It just feels like he is about to loose balance any time.

By the way I don't know how you guys managed to finish the game in 2 days or some in less. I have been playing this since 2 weeks now and I am at 42 stars :lol

Glad I’m not the only one! At first I was thinking that ‘what the hell, I could have sworn this game had better controls!’ I then switched back to Mario and all was good.

Honestly.....playing Luigi ruins the game for me. The way he slides and the amount of time it takes him to gain momentum and jump sucks. Is he better in the sequel?

Maybe not for you guys but I thought Luigi was difficult and going to be even moreso later on but he became second nature and wasn't that different than Mario over time for me.

Rafaelcsa

Shrinnan said:

It's lovely reading stuff like this. :D

I don't know your tastes, man, so I can only speak about my own. A few other first-party Wii games for you to look into: Metroid Prime Trilogy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Wii Sports Resort, Punch-Out!!, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, WarioWare: Smooth Moves. I can't think of any other company that has such a varied and extremely high quality output as Nintendo. And I'm mentioning just a small sample of games from just one of their consoles.

Shrennin

rhino4evr said:
Nintendo has had some great first party titles on the Wii. Have you played the Metroid Prime Trilogy?

JasoNsider said:
I love reading posts like this :) It's great to think of all those people who are just trying Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 for the first time.

Also, this game brings something I missed so much from older generations - a game that will make you feel more positive. It's absolutely true. Even the most hardened of adults can be swayed by the themes in a game. It's been a long time since we had such high quality, bright, uplifting games backed by a protaganist that is smiling right back at us. It's one of those things that is hard to hate just simply because it's so optimistic and charismatic.

Rafaelcsa said:
It's lovely reading stuff like this. :D

I don't know your tastes, man, so I can only speak about my own. A few other first-party Wii games for you to look into: Metroid Prime Trilogy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Wii Sports Resort, Punch-Out!!, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, WarioWare: Smooth Moves. I can't think of any other company that has such a varied and extremely high quality output as Nintendo. And I'm mentioning just a small sample of games from just one of their consoles.

It's really rare for me to post something like this but Super Mario Galaxy is just a refreshing change from where the video game market is at right now. It's like it somehow brought back the fond memories I had of playing old school Mario games while still renovating the series and bringing something new to the platform genre all in one giant step.

As for Wii games - I already have Twilight Princess for the Gamecub (haven't beat it though, that's on my to do list) and I am kinda hesitant to purchase the Wii one when the original Twilight Princess was meant for the Gamecube. I have also played some of the Metroid Prime games (I think I played number 2) and I didn't really care for it. I don't think Metroid Prime is my kinda game.

What I found with SMG is that I love the Wiimote and Nunchuck when it's put to use like it is in SMG (it's not there to be simply a gimmick, but it's there to show the strengths of motion control).

I thank you all for your suggestions and I'm pretty much looking for any Wii game that puts the controller itself to good use (or can be played with the standard controller if the former is too much to ask for certain games). I tried Super Smash Brothers Brawl and I'll probably get that game at one point or another but it didn't seem as good as Super Smash Brothers Melee. What's weird is that the Mario Kart game for the Wii wasn't as good (in my opinion) as the original one for the N64 even though I would have thought that the steering wheel would lend itself nicely to the game.

I do like Fire Emblem, but it's been so long since I've played it that I forgot if they are connected story wise or if they are loosely connected as far as universe but story wise they are more akin to a Final Fantasy. Either way I'll probably get the one for Wii.

And then there's Super Mario Galaxy 2 of course. I'll get that once I'm done with the first one though.

One of the reasons I got a Wii is for Epic Mickey as well. So I'm really glad that I rented SMG and found it one of the more unique gaming experiences I have ever had. It not only makes me more excited for Epic Mickey, but also for SMG2 and anything else that Nintendo pretty much creates (like the Kirby game coming out and even Zelda, which didn't seem to have that good a showing at E3).

That reminds me, if Wii Motion Plus really makes the Wiimote more accurate then I'm definitely getting it.

EDIT: I'm kinda tired so that's why my thoughts seem to be kinda scattered. I just got done playing SMG and I'm thinking about the experience. I love story in my games, but SMG reminded me why gaming exists in the first place.

Shrennin

disappeared said:
Every time I click this thread, I'm that much more tempted to trade in some games towards a Wii and SMG+SMG2...

:(

:)

I would almost say it is worth it. However, I cannot simply because I learned from first hand experience that it is not really a good idea to get a system just for one game. I got a PS3 simply because of MGS4 and I kinda regretted it (although I am not really regretting it any longer because there are more games I have and want for it).

The difference between when I got a PS3 and MGS4 then is that was pretty much all the PS3 had to offer at the time and now it has a lot more games. The same thing applies with the Wii (there are a ton of games out there that, I presume, you'll probably get if you get the Wii).

Hiltz

Almost done with the game. After failing a couple of times, I finally completed the last gold star mission in the last galaxy as well as the comet coin (it was the only time I used the 2nd player helper which actually is really useful). Now I just need to collect the specific amount of star bits and do the last galaxy's comet mission.

Overall, I think SMG 2 is superior in every way to SMG 1. The only thing SMG 1 does better is the music as it offers more of the epic and memorable tracks. Quite frankly, Puzzle Plank Galaxy's music and the Bowser castle music are the only ones that stood out to me.

As far as the new power-ups and gameplay mechanics go, the Cloud Suit is the best and the most fun level mechanic is the one tied to Mario's spin attack that switches the platforms. Love em!

Ranger X

60 stars in, halfway in World 4.

Good God this game is so great. Each world is better than the preceding one so far. I hope this will hold true until the end of the game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Shrinnan said:
I would almost say it is worth it. However, I cannot simply because I learned from first hand experience that it is not really a good idea to get a system just for one game. I got a PS3 simply because of MGS4 and I kinda regretted it (although I am not really regretting it any longer because there are more games I have and want for it).

The difference between when I got a PS3 and MGS4 then is that was pretty much all the PS3 had to offer at the time and now it has a lot more games. The same thing applies with the Wii (there are a ton of games out there that, I presume, you'll probably get if you get the Wii).
Also, that's two games he's talking about :).

Davey Cakes

Ranger X said:
60 stars in, halfway in World 4.

Good God this game is so great. Each world is better than the preceding one so far. I hope this will hold true until the end of the game.

World 5 is probably on the level of World 4, unless you don't want more Fluzzard. World 6 is pretty ace, with its first two galaxies being two of the best in the entire game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
119 stars... just gotta speedrun the
throwback throwdown
galaxy... any good trips? The second fight with
Petey Piranha
is a pain for me.

Not sure if I'm gonna get all 242 stars this time around... didn't care for this game as much as the first Galaxy and I definitely found it much more challenging.

Mael

Well I think I'm a little confused....
On the one hand SMG2 is clearly one of the best game ever, full of magic and all,
on the other hand I find the platforming weak, slow and barely a challenge and I freaking hate the whole boonus you get for the 120 stars.
The lack of expert vids despite their presence in the instruction vid is lame.
The music is awesome BUT the foes don't react to it (and vice versa), most powerups are hardly used and they would gain at being like in Mario of yore (meaning no timer and you keep them until you're hit).

Seriously the 2d portions seems fake in comparison and since we just got nsmbw it's even more galling since Mario is so fucking slow now.

I really like the game but I really prefer the 2d incarnation (so much more levels, so much more challenge, coins hidden instead of bloody misplaced green rewards)

MYE

Mael said:
Well I think I'm a little confused....
On the one hand SMG2 is clearly one of the best game ever, full of magic and all,
on the other hand I find the platforming weak, slow and barely a challenge

fuck! :lol

Mael

MYE said:
fuck! :lol

Well the game IS challenging, but NOT the platforming.
I'm also not comparing it with every other games out there (it trounces 99% of them, let's be real). I'm just comparing it with nsmbw here.

Wizpig

That water themed cave level in World 6 is... is... it's not... it's just not "Mario-ish".
It's more like something out of Zelda. or Sonic since it's so linear.

The music is definitely not Mario-like, and the end of the first star was so beautiful but so odd.

Mixed feelings, and this galaxy could've been more, for sure.
But I only got the first star there.

Still, I was "o_O" the whole time.
Tricky I Shadow said:
Glad I’m not the only one! At first I was thinking that ‘what the hell, I could have sworn this game had better controls!’ I then switched back to Mario and all was good.

Honestly.....playing Luigi ruins the game for me. The way he slides and the amount of time it takes him to gain momentum and jump sucks. Is he better in the sequel?
Nope but he's supposed to be like that, he's hard mode.
Luigi rules!

If you try to do that
ice-skating
minigame with Luigi it's just... fuck... :lol

WillyFive

Wizpig said:
That water themed cave level in World 6 is... is... it's not... it's just not "Mario-ish".
It's more like something out of Zelda. or Sonic since it's so linear.

The music is definitely not Mario-like, and the end of the first star was so beautiful but so odd.

Mixed feelings, and this galaxy could've been more, for sure.

No way.

That's one of my favorite levels in the game. It was great!

It was also closer to classic Mario water levels than any level in any 3D Mario game.

Wizpig said:
Erm, why "Rom-hack like"?
Well aside from the insane difficulty in general, the fact that
you're forced to play the last three parts as Cloud Mario (with no cloud refills), which screws up the timing of your jumps,
seems like something an asshole rom hacker would come up with.

Top Bottom