• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Leezard

Rekubot said:
Any tips for that level (final world)
where you have to collect every purple coin on 8-bit Luigi with shadow Marios chasing after you?
Even with a co-op buddy I'm finding that level impossible, and I've breezed through all the other stars prior to this one. I'm around 110 stars in at this point, incredible game. :D
I just ran around it counterclockwise, cleansing one area after the other. Once I failed just when I got 100 coins, but I did succeed after 4 tries. I used Luigi, but that shouldn't make any difference. :lol

Minamu

Alright, the princess has been saved once again! 114 stars so far. It's been pretty good. Sometimes I envy you guys who have so much Nintendo and Mario nostalgia to gain from this though. Unfortunately, I feel no such things for Mario games so a lot of the point get lost on me I suppose. There is something about these 3D platformers that just rubs me the wrong way :( Not sure what it is, and I've had a fairly good time so far, but I just can't remember the good times as much as the bad ones. The controls piss me off more than Little Big Planet ever have, and that floaty stuff is really annoying. I can't help but feel that maybe one out of four deaths is my own fault and that's far from an acceptable ratio, especially for a series that has a supposedly great control scheme. It's a quality title, no doubt, but even though I've had a pretty good time, I'm just not having much fun, even though that makes no sense :lol

I'm just not the target audience, I guess :'(

Adam J.

I "beat" the game earlier today and I think I'm done for now (may go back for a star or two, here and there over the duration of the summer). I'm tempted to play through the original again so I can compare the two experiences. Now that the credits have rolled I cant help but wonder where Mario will go from here. How do you follow these masterpieces? I also wonder what EAD Tokyo will do next. Wonder if they will move on to the 3DS or WiFi, or do another game on Wii.

Lijik

Wiseblade said:
I'm so glad that I avoided this thread befor I got it. If I had found out about
throwback Galaxy and the remix of Bomb-omb Battlefield
before playing the game, it wouldn't have been nearly as incredible.

:D

I have to agree,
up until I unlocked it and noticed what the galaxy "icon" in the world map was I assumed it was going a stage from Galaxy 1 since all I knew was the name since a friend favorited the music on youtube. Trying to get the Mario Shoots for the Wild Blue star in SM64 the day before just made the experience that much more fantastic

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Adam J. said:
I "beat" the game earlier today and I think I'm done for now (may go back for a star or two, here and there over the duration of the summer). I'm tempted to play through the original again so I can compare the two experiences. Now that the credits have rolled I cant help but wonder where Mario will go from here. How do you follow these masterpieces? I also wonder what EAD Tokyo will do next. Wonder if they will move on to the 3DS or WiFi, or do another game on Wii.

You haven't beaten it until you have all the stars!

Anyway, Miyamoto (or it may have been Iwata) said something to the effect of "now that EAD Tokyo is done with SMG2, they can start working on a Mario game for the 3DS", when asked why no Mario game was shown at the 3DS unveiling. Sounds good to me!

hoqhuuep

Adam J. said:

If EAD Tokyo was smart, they'd make a Yoshi's Galaxy.

Maron

Hey, does anything happen when you get 9999 Star Bits? Because I've had that amount for over a week and the purple star guy keeps insisting that it means something.

Maron said:
Hey, does anything happen when you get 9999 Star Bits? Because I've had that amount for over a week and the purple star guy keeps insisting that it means something.
When you have 241 stars, and 9,999 bits in the Banktoad, you unlock the comet stage for Grandmaster Galaxy.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this game is just the best shit ever. it's funny, i work in a doctor's office and i sit and talk to my 10 year old patients about how great it is. the great unifier.

I just don't get this game, I hate that there are so few stars in each Galaxy. I don't get a sense of place from any of the levels. It's like they literally took the brief: crazy puzzles and randomly sprinkled some Super Mario 3 elements instead of treating it as a whole. I've been back to Mario 64 and earnt more stars and had more fun since I've had Galaxy 2. I feel like this is just Galaxy pro mode expansion pack rather than a true sequel. I get why you all enjoy and love it but I can't see myself getting 240 stars, and I considered myself a Mario aficionado up until now.

Woffls

RAWRRG

I just got 241 stars and found out what you have to do at that point to get the last star. I have less than half what is required and there's no god damn way I'm doing all that for just one more star >_> This is very unlike Nintendo as well :s

I've not found it particularly challenging so far, and just a few attempts at the final Galaxy was enough. I also don't like how there are lots of Galaxies and not much to do in them, even with the green stars included. None of the galaxies are perticularly memorable in the same way that Toy Time and Gusty Garden were in SMG.

Sadist

120 stars, finally ^_^

Game of the Forever!

beelzebozo said:
it's a war of attrition, jackano. i'm awful at games and i got to 120 with just pure tenacity, trying over and over and over.
Yup. Well, I'm not that bad at gaming but I just started over and over again :lol

Sagitario

Woffls said:
RAWRRG

I just got 241 stars and found out what you have to do at that point to get the last star. I have less than half what is required and there's no god damn way I'm doing all that for just one more star >_> This is very unlike Nintendo as well :s

I've not found it particularly challenging so far, and just a few attempts at the final Galaxy was enough. I also don't like how there are lots of Galaxies and not much to do in them, even with the green stars included. None of the galaxies are perticularly memorable in the same way that Toy Time and Gusty Garden were in SMG.

Melty Monster Galaxy: A Stroll Down Rolling Lane over and over and over [just die before the Star so you can restart the level]...

Maron

Aaron Strife said:
When you have 241 stars, and 9,999 bits in the Banktoad, you unlock the comet stage for Grandmaster Galaxy.

Thanks for the help. I'm currently at
200 stars
so I guess it'll take a little while longer.

Canti

Willy105 said:
Finally got 120 stars.

I like how it acts like Season 5/6 of Lost.
I don't follow... time travel or something? Mario is really dead with his corpse inhabited by a cosmic clone? :D

I finally got 120 today too. Only super guide that ever appeared for me was on the last star at the end of the special world (with the cosmic clones), getting hit by jumping clones whilst climbing that final stretch over and over drove me crazy.

I appreciate the 120 green stars but it isn't quite what I expected (only got a few so far). Are they all hide and seek?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos :(

It's my last star...literally have spent 1 or 2 days trying to beat it...

I feel like giving up but it's like 1 freaking star i need till the next what ever surprise Nintendo have for me!

Visualante said:
I just don't get this game, I hate that there are so few stars in each Galaxy. I don't get a sense of place from any of the levels. It's like they literally took the brief: crazy puzzles and randomly sprinkled some Super Mario 3 elements instead of treating it as a whole. I've been back to Mario 64 and earnt more stars and had more fun since I've had Galaxy 2. I feel like this is just Galaxy pro mode expansion pack rather than a true sequel. I get why you all enjoy and love it but I can't see myself getting 240 stars, and I considered myself a Mario aficionado up until now.
Yeah, I feel that due to this I can't even remember more than, say ten, of the galaxies, only I recall having around 40+ comet medals at the end. The lack of any great original musical themes and a lot of the worlds being half-assed extensions or copies of worlds in the first Galaxy certainly doesn't help.
Also, with the first game, there was progression. You start out being amazed by the new mechanics, gradually learning them, and eventually mastering them, all the while the game's difficulty increases. With Galaxy 2, you're back at square one, but you already know how to play the game, which is why I felt like the first two worlds, with a few exceptions, were pretty much worthless.
I was opposed to people writing this game off as an expansion pack due to all of the great things I was hearing about the game, that EAD Tokyo made this game because they had too many ideas they couldn't fit into the first. Some of the additions, like the new power ups (Cloud Mario/Rock Mario) are fantastic. I loved Throwback Galaxy, Beat Block Galaxy, and the mechanic where when you spin, it changes the layout of the level. Unfortunately, the rest of the game was mostly forgettable. Galaxy is my favorite game on the Wii period. Galaxy 2 isn't even my favorite Wii game this year.

Davey Cakes

I don't know. Galaxy seemed relatively forgettable to me too, at first. Probably because the galaxies seemed spread so thin. Of course, my Luigi playthrough put that game in an entirely different light. Suddenly it became much more memorable. The levels, the soundtrack, everything just clicked.

Honestly, Galaxy 2, as I'm making my way through the green stars, feels the exact same way. The first time through it seemed forgettable in a bunch of ways. I couldn't remember the galaxies themselves, my memory of the music was a bit fuzzy, and there was no way I remembered every galaxy's name. Now I can remember pretty much every galaxy, theme, and anything else. These games are built to be played till 50% or less by certain audiences, and 100% by other audiences (the hardcore, pretty much), and for the latter, a lot of the game's values are going to shine through via constant exposure to each particular galaxy across many hours of play/replay. It's true that this sequel feels even more spread thin than its predecessor, but that's not necessarily a con. I guess it just depends on your expectations.

Oh, and the soundtrack reception is befuddling. Some people say it's absolutely outstanding, other say it doesn't even come close to the first game. I think it's fair to agree that the soundtrack is just "good." Like the first Galaxy, it has its forgettable tunes, but there's also some pretty great stuff in there. Both Sky Station themes stand out, as does the Yoshi Star (being catchy and all) and Fluffy Bluff (AKA Gusty Garden 2) ones. The speed run/Hurry! theme is better than a lot of themes in either Mario Galaxy game; really intense and awesome. Then there's the more subtle gems, like the Rightside Down Galaxy and Sweet Mystery Galaxy themes.

Some people were immediately astounded or immediately underwhelmed by Galaxy 2. Same for its predecessor. I, personally, think both games are "growers" that get better as you play them more and as you reflect upon them more.

Rash said:
You make many good points. I do still think I was more immediately impressed and was able to recall more of the first game. Hell, I only did a Luigi playthrough when Galaxy 2 was closer to release. Prior to that I still had experienced enough to consider it to have validated my Wii purchase all on its own. I hope that I'll become more enamored with the game as I go for the green stars, but I'm not sure if I'll be doing that right away, currently loving the shit out of Trauma Team and Bit.Trip Runner.

I still can't say I'm recalling much of the tunes off the names alone, but
Rash said:
Fluffy Bluff
yeah, I'll definitely agree with that one. Helped the galaxy was cool, too. Cloud Mario and Rock Mario were fantastic additions.

Dr.Hadji

Whats up with critiquing the game based on how much you do or do not remember? So, so, sooo many things affect how we remember things. I played Tall Tall Galaxy ( the star I didn't find amazing or anything) and on that same day watched game 2 of the NBA Finals. In that Game Paul Gasol did well, and as a commentators went on about how he is the best tall player in the NBA (which is false, Dirk owns him for free) I made a joke. Tall Gasol Galaxy. And now Tall Tall Galaxy is forever in my head. I played a combo of three amazing galaxies in a row and had a really hard time afterwards remembering the middle Galaxy I played.

Galaxy and much more so Galaxy 2 is made up of a string of fun gameplay ideas. There is no rhyme or reason to its progression so a few players complain about not being able to get a sense of "place" or not being able to remember places very well. So using what you remember as a bases for critique boggles my mind.

Not being able to remember does not equal forgettable.

242 stars GET!!!!!!!!

Oh, man. That last level.
I died twice in the Yoshi part in the beginning but then I straight up did the entire level without dying once! Holy shit. My heart was pumping so fucking hard when it came time to the Hammer and Boomerang Bros. :lol

Such an amazing little series, Mario Galaxy. <3

Davey Cakes

Mike M said:
Yoshi Star's theme being mentioned in the same breath as Fluffy Bluff? Madness and blasphemy.
Fluffy Bluff is more epic, Yoshi Star is more catchy (which I pointed out). I mean, they're completely different sorts of themes. Can't see why they can't be mentioned in the same breath if I'm acknowledging that they're different (though both good, in my opinion).

i just picked this game up and im loving it infact i already have the first 11 stars but i have a question for some reason a silver crown has appered next to my stars in a world does that mean i got all of the stars and comet coins? also what does the comet coins do?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
241 stars... and I don't think I'm going to get 242. Not for lack of trying mind you. >.>

Oh well, still one of the most amazing games ever made!

Canti

beelzebozo said:
why is the primary strategy for many bosses "get 'round back, smack it in the ass" ?
Scientific studies suggest the ass is the Achillies-heel of the modern day space piranha.

rhino4evr

I got 120 stars today. Hardest stars? It's tough to say. There were a few that were more of a pain in the ass then difficult. Like luigi purple coin chaos was challenging, but I had a harder time with the chain chomp factory prankster. If I were to think what star gave me the most trouble it was probably double time silver stars. The hardest regular level was probably
The cyclone level in the S world.

As far as the reward...awesome...it's like rediscovering these levels all over again, and using the triple jump is now a requirement which is great. Best post game reward in a Mario game easily.

Rindain

Banned
I'm up to 104 stars...some of these are damn hard. Even killing all the spiny things in time in the Yoshi comet level is taking tons of tries. And I have no idea how I'll ever manage that second chimp stomp challenge.

Mike M

Nick N
Rindain said:
I'm up to 104 stars...some of these are damn hard. Even killing all the spiny things in time in the Yoshi comet level is taking tons of tries. And I have no idea how I'll ever manage that second chimp stomp challenge.
The key to the second challenge is to take out the enemies on the first part, grab the coins, then mostly ignore the rest of the enemies and rush to the top and combo the enemies up there (be sure to grab the coins)

oh man im only on the second world and its getting really difficult but this game is loads of fun. because its classic mario style platforming and all of the levels are really well made and i never know what new items or enemies i will encounter and they always surprise me with thier creativity with items i have already found. im also enjoying the music espically the super mario world stuff

Greetings Mariogaf, I intend to play 2 before 1. Is this a bad idea?

The reason being is that I laid a preorder down for 2 by trading in some games and scoring and 1 is still full price and said preorder deal does not apply to 1. Before someone says "you've had more than 2 years to play the first one" I only bought a Wii a few days ago so yeah.

I intend to track down the first one eventually, are the improvements in 2 that drastic that 1 is harder to enjoy?

I appreciate any comments.

one_kill

5 more days for Aus! I saw the actual cover today at a Target store and it got me all hyped :lol

toasty_T said:
Greetings Mariogaf, I intend to play 2 before 1. Is this a bad idea?
I don't think it's a bad idea, though one of the endings might be confusing if you haven't played 1.

upandaway

So this arrived 2 days ago and I played non stop (gotta start studying today and I didn't wanna stop in the middle).

It was really, really easy. I was very surprised. I got 123 stars and as far as I followed myself, I got every star within 3 tries at most (exception: that purple coins on water Dash Yoshi level. I kept failing until I realized how it's meant to be played), estimated average on the first try. I'm not good at platformers at all (it really comes out like I'm showing off), I really think the game's easier than you guys let out here.
For the record, I did play the last 2 levels using a 100% save file. I don't wanna do the green stars AT ALL. It's such a waste of time. I stopped after getting 3 green stars.
Also for the record, I played with Luigi in every star I could.

I'll let off for now because if I post more impressions I'll just come off as a douche who says he's better than everyone else in the forum.

In any case:
- Cloud Mario was a cool idea
- the purple coins were far better used in this game
- I didn't like how the final level was designed to be a challenge just for the sake of being a challenge (aside from the fact it wasn't even that challenging). It felt like a rom hack
- ghost Luigi was an AWESOME touch, but I wish I could view it more conveniently after getting it
- the map was very welcome

I'm kinda tired of revising the post to make it look more in favor of the game (because I had fun), so don't mind if it seems like I didn't like it.

rhino4evr

Shiggy said:
I just can't get those three boss comet stars :(
The only boss prankster I had trouble with was the last one. It just seemed evil to have you fight 5 bosses in 5 minutes.

The daredevil pranksters aren't that difficult to me, as dodging boss attacks is fairly easy In this game.

Shiggy

rhino4evr said:
The only boss prankster I had trouble with was the last one. It just seemed evil to have you fight 5 bosses in 5 minutes.

The daredevil pranksters aren't that difficult to me, as dodging boss attacks is fairly easy In this game.

I'm actually referring to the daredevil comets, al of the other stars weren't too difficult, I think.

you know when you are about to finish stage. you can see star in distance and you jump and forget to spin and you fall down. Fuckkkkkkkkk that shit. This game became the game where I have most died. I have lost counts. I have been helped by the fairy two times now.:lol I still like this game. Fun times.

rhino4evr

Shiggy said:
I'm actually referring to the daredevil comets, al of the other stars weren't too difficult, I think.
There aren't too many of them. I had the hardest time with the fire flower boss..I hate that guy..if your power up didn't have a time limit he would be much easier. I beat the bowser jr cloud boss and the hammer boss on my first try.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Finally... finally... I've done it!! 242!!!

MasterOfGalaxies.jpg

I'm so happy I could cry! Such a fantastic game!

crazy monkey said:
you know when you are about to finish stage. you can see star in distance and you jump and forget to spin and you fall down. Fuckkkkkkkkk that shit. This game became the game where I have most died. I have lost counts. I have been helped by the fairy two times now.:lol I still like this game. Fun times.

Haha, I do that a lot...get right to near the end of a stage, breath a sigh of relief, and then do something stupid to get myself killed :p

Top Bottom