• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
HOLY SHIT DUDES STRANGE CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE GOTTEN ME A WII AND I MIGHT BE PLAYING THIS GAME SOON

-head explodes-
You play the first one first. Then if you jump straight to 2, you're apparently gonna hate it like Himuro and jett.

You play NSMBWii as a buffer, and hopefully wait it out a bit.

BUT HOLY SHIT DUDE!!

jett

D-Member
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Why exactly?

Because the last stars are really fucking hard to get? And not fun for me? I think that was pretty obvious. I was pretty close to destroying my wiimote in the Mario Squared Comet star. Never did SMG1 make me feel like that. It felt CHEAP, not challenging. The disappearing floor + shadow clones + timed challenge + having to manage the camera at the same time. Most of my deaths were because I was unable to accurately judge distances. I did get the star, but it wasn't fun.

And I do like the prankster comet challenges in SMG1 more. Almost all of the ones in SMG2 are just timed challenges or daredevil runs. And redoing some levels to get those comet coins reeked of artificially stretching the length of the game. And a byproduct of that is that this process made me realize that I like the galaxies in SMG1 a whole lot better.

I don't hate SMG2 btw, just feeling annoyed by it at the moment. :p

nincompoop said:
I guess he prefers purple coin challenges that force you to comb over every square inch of a level to find the last coin you missed over purple coin challenges that actually test your platforming skills.
I think the game is a bit comet heavy, but there isn't really a whole hell of a lot to comb over in Galaxy 2. The levels are pretty straightforward, without a lot of hidden nooks or crannies. I also would have preferred legit platforming challenges though. I thought they missed an opportunity to do that with the
green stars.

Haunted

7h1ag0 said:
Just got 241 stars, and I'm done! :D

I'm not hardcore enough for the perfect run :(
Do it in co-op.

Gravijah said:
HOLY SHIT DUDES STRANGE CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE GOTTEN ME A WII AND I MIGHT BE PLAYING THIS GAME SOON

-head explodes-
what the fuck

does that mean you haven't yet?

I've lost so much respect for you just now.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I think the game is a bit comet heavy, but there isn't really a whole hell of a lot to comb over in Galaxy 2. The levels are pretty straightforward, without a lot of hidden nooks or crannies. I also would have preferred legit platforming challenges though. I thought they missed an opportunity to do that with the
green stars.
Uh that was my point, you don't have any crappy purple coin scavenger hunts in Galaxy 2 like you did in Galaxy 1.

Gravijah

Haunted said:
what the fuck

does that mean you haven't yet?

I've lost so much respect for you just now.

I've played it at Wal Mart. I have played it a lot at Wal Mart. It was amazing.

Soon, I'll be able to play through the entire game. SMG1 and SMG2.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
I've played it at Wal Mart. I have played it a lot at Wal Mart. It was amazing.

Soon, I'll be able to play through the entire game. SMG1 and SMG2.
NSMBWii is better than both
combined

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
jett said:
I thought they were lots of fun. :|
I did too. Everyone shits on collectatons sections but I love those when they're done right. If the stage with the things you need to get works in a progressive manner it's relaxing and OCD tickling.

SMG2 is superb and overall a better designed game but I'll be honest when I say some stars felt unfun, something that didn't happen with SMG1. Usually you're seen as a non-hardcore pussy when you feel this way though!

And fuck that 242 piece of shit.
Removing checkpoints just makes it annoying and time consuming, not challenging.

Haunted said:
Do it in co-op.
I wish I thought about that at the time, lol.

jett said:
Because the last stars are really fucking hard to get? And not fun for me? I think that was pretty obvious. I was pretty close to destroying my wiimote in the Mario Squared Comet star. Never did SMG1 make me feel like that. It felt CHEAP, not challenging. The disappearing floor + shadow clones + timed challenge + having to manage the camera at the same time. Most of my deaths were because I was unable to accurately judge distances. I did get the star, but it wasn't fun.

And I do like the prankster comet challenges in SMG1 more. Almost all of the ones in SMG2 are just timed challenges or daredevil runs. And redoing some levels to get those comet coins reeked of artificially stretching the length of the game. And a byproduct of that is that this process made me realize that I like the galaxies in SMG1 a whole lot better.

I don't hate SMG2 btw, just feeling annoyed by it at the moment. :p
I have to agree. Most of the time SMG2 feels cheap rather than challenging. It's definitely way more annoying than SMG1 ever was.

I had a blast getting all stars in SMG1. But with SMG2 on the other hand, I'll probably never bother.

Jokeropia

The only cheap levels in SMG2 are the Fluzzard levels. (Especially the green stars.)

Whenever you're just controlling Mario (or Luigi), you have complete control over what happens and can only blame yourself when you die.

Dr.Hadji

Jokeropia said:
The only cheap levels in SMG2 are the Fluzzard levels. (Especially the green stars.)

Whenever you're just controlling Mario (or Luigi), you have complete control over what happens and can only blame yourself when you die.

"Cheap" is people's way of saying a game is asking them to perform challenges using a level of skill the player deems unacceptable. Its a very personal thing. You even call the Fluzzard levels cheap while I think nothing of the sort. But I would like to know what about the challenges presented makes people think they are cheap.

Shiggy

Dr.Hadji said:
"Cheap" is people's way of saying a game is asking them to perform challenges using a level of skill the player deems unacceptable. Its a very personal thing. You even call the Fluzzard levels cheap while I think nothing of the sort. But I would like to know what about the challenges presented makes people think they are cheap.

Many of the green stars are cheap as they can be found easily. Another issue: Sometimes you could not really see where the star is because you could move in a three-dimensional room but you only had a 2D perspective.

Dr.Hadji

Shiggy said:
Many of the green stars are cheap as they can be found easily. Another issue: Sometimes you could not really see where the star is because you could move in a three-dimensional room but you only had a 2D perspective.

Well I don't know anything about the green stars yet but those sound like fair reasons to get frustrated (except for Stars being cheap because they can be found easily. What does that even mean?).

ryan-ts

jett said:
You know, getting 120 stars in SMG1 was pure fun.

Getting 120 stars in this game is frustrating, annoying, and I think I'm starting to hate it a little bit!

I stopped around 85 stars in Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2 I got 120. You have been defeated.

Boney

Banned
ryan-ts said:
I stopped around 85 stars in Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2 I got 120. You have been defeated.
I'm gonna have to say that the one that lost is you buddy. Still got a lot of stars to go in both.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. A lot of them you could see right in the level intro. And that one specifically. One level had them all on top of the same thing on each planet. If they're gonna put them in a place where the intro shows, at least hide them behind something.

AniHawk

The Mario Squared purple coins were fun to collect. Plus it makes Luigi's Purple Coins look like the cakewalk it really is.

Jokeropia

Dr.Hadji said:
"Cheap" is people's way of saying a game is asking them to perform challenges using a level of skill the player deems unacceptable.
I get that impression as well, I just didn't want to say it outright. :D
Dr.Hadji said:
You even call the Fluzzard levels cheap while I think nothing of the sort. But I would like to know what about the challenges presented makes people think they are cheap.
I was thinking primarily of one of the green star challenges here. You can see the star, but since the camera turns as you get closer it's quite hard to see if your aiming at it. Kind of like Shiggy mentioned.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
AniHawk said:
The Mario Squared purple coins were fun to collect. Plus it makes Luigi's Purple Coins look like the cakewalk it really is.

Err, honestly, I find the one in the first game a lot harder.

There's a much better path in SMG2 and once you've got the hang of fooling the shadow mario clones it becomes fairly routine.

Also use Luigi as it's much easier to collect tons of coins with a good long jump.

Davey Cakes

Man God said:
Err, honestly, I find the one in the first game a lot harder.
Probably because you did it first. :p

Both challenges test very similar platforming skills. Once you've done one of them I'd say it's not much of a step up to do the other.

Busaiku

Rash said:

Both challenges test very similar platforming skills. Once you've done one of them I'd say it's not much of a step up to do the other.
I can do Make Mario A Star and Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos in a single try.
Going back to Luigi's Purple Coins, I still die, a lot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Rash said:

There are far more places to safely stand on the SMG2 version.

Ranger X

Ok looks like I just played the most amazing level of this game just now.

For people who wants to spoil it for themselves it's called Throwback Galaxy. Holycrap of the perfect throwback this was. OMG.

My brain exploded from nostalgia overload!!! Fucking perfect game.

7h1ag0

newas6.jpg

YES! :D

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The Blue Jihad said:
It's a shame that so many people here are so down on SMG2, especially compared to SMG1.

Yeah....not seeing it to be honest. Granted, I haven't read every single post in this thread, but it seems the people who prefer SMG1 are in a minority. I'm a little disheartened by it since (as I've mentioned too many times in the past) there was an immense backlash against TP for being an OoT 1.5/rehash/expansion pack/etc., but for some strange reason SMG2 gets a free pass even though it copied the previous game more than TP could have ever dreamed of doing to OoT.

I should also point out that people shouldn't confuse this with meaning that SMG2 might not be better in some ways or even a better overall game than SMG1. I actually think the level design is indeed probably slightly better in SMG2. I'm just pointing out (what I think) what seems to be a double standard.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's not a real double standard.

People are down on TP for being OoT 1.5 (even when it's not) because the similarities in game design happened ten years apart. Even so it smacks of complaining about how both FF1 and FF V have four crystals with an elemental theme.

SMG 2 on the other hand was billed as a classic expansion type game, like Advance Wars to Advance Wars:Black Hole Rising or of course Super Mario Bros. to Lost Levels.

When it was first revealed they claimed that a healthy percentage of the game was straight out reused in Galaxy 2 and it ended up being one level and most of the music, which was already world class. Pretty good for a full priced expansion pack.

AniHawk

Himuro said:
Some of the post-game is brilliant, some of the post-game is dogshit and not fun at all.

Stone Cyclone Galaxy is a Galaxy 1 quality level, especially if you don't use the cheapo time manipulation buttons.

On the other hand, Purple Coin Rainbow Road sucks donkey nuts and whoever designed that level should be shot.

That's not post-game content. You still don't have 120 stars. Keep playing, rookie.

Boney

Banned
Himuro said:
My main issue is the time limit. I have to precise for this motion bullcrap, so having a time limit freaks me out.
I'd just point it forward and tilt my wrist to give direction.. I had a bit of trouble.. enough to make it satisfying when I got the star..

Good Luck!

AniHawk said:
Mario Squared purple coins took me one try. I have yet to die on that level, and have beaten it 3 times at this point. :lol

Luigi's Purple Coins, OTOH... well, uh...

Stone Cyclone galaxy, though? FUUUUUUUUCK that galaxy.

AniHawk

Himuro said:
Checking out youtube videos will not help when it comes to motion controls because motion controls are a fight between the controls and the user.

all you have to do is tilt slightly. Think of it as power steering.

Haunted

Himuro said:
Rainbow Road Comet is going to make me kill someone.
If the normal Rainbow Road will inspire homicide, you're going to be genociding once you get to the post-game content and RR's green stars.

So tough!

One of the less enjoyable levels of SMG2 for sure.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
Nah, it was cool. The Fluzzard levels though. Those green stars? Spatial relations.
RR didn't give me much trouble, but the amount of times I missed those god damn stars, even after I found them, ick.

Oblivion said:
Yeah....not seeing it to be honest. Granted, I haven't read every single post in this thread, but it seems the people who prefer SMG1 are in a minority. I'm a little disheartened by it since (as I've mentioned too many times in the past) there was an immense backlash against TP for being an OoT 1.5/rehash/expansion pack/etc., but for some strange reason SMG2 gets a free pass even though it copied the previous game more than TP could have ever dreamed of doing to OoT.

I should also point out that people shouldn't confuse this with meaning that SMG2 might not be better in some ways or even a better overall game than SMG1. I actually think the level design is indeed probably slightly better in SMG2. I'm just pointing out (what I think) what seems to be a double standard.

I don't think it's a double standard all that much, really. TP could have been far more than what it turned out to be. Its pacing was pretty dreadful. Visually, it was dated immediately. The landscapes were large but empty, and the game was generally sparse on content. Taking issue with the OoT 1.5 quality of it was pretty fair, I think.

SMG2, on the other hand...realizes so many significant improvements that apart from a few niggling little problems with pacing and level design, there's really no contest between the two. It fixed many of the camera issues from the first game. The transition from 3D to 2D gameplay has been smoothed out considerably. The implementation of Yoshi is spot-on brilliant. And it incorporated the score display kinds of gameplay moments from NES Mario games. Where SMG1 may have laid the foundation, SMG2 absolutely improved upon it in almost every conceivable way.

Plus the cloud suit is wonderfully classic Mario.

The Fluzzard green stars weren't hard for me to get once I knew where they were, it's just that having to search every alternate path for them and not having any way to tell if you passed one or not was bullshit.

Beat Bowser tonight, with 77 stars. Smiled the whole way through the credits. I do feel a little strange though, having not played the first Galaxy. I definitely want to buy it asap, though.

Why can't more games be this fun? :(

disappeared said:
Beat Bowser tonight, with 77 stars. Smiled the whole way through the credits. I do feel a little strange though, having not played the first Galaxy. I definitely want to buy it asap, though.

Why can't more games be this fun? :(

True. I bought a Wii the other day just to be able to play SMG and SMG2 ( and Metroids ). I bought only SMG2, though, since I love the throwback to Super Mario World ( with the inclusion of Yoshi ), but I am definetely going to buy SMG as well down the road.

To put it bluntly, playing SMG2 is a joy. I'm only about 6 stars in, so I don't know anything about the forthcoming frustrations, but I'll be damned if SMG2 isn't the perfect game of relaxation ( especially after a stressful Modern Warfare 2 -multiplayer session ).

zigg

nincompoop said:
The Fluzzard green stars weren't hard for me to get once I knew where they were, it's just that having to search every alternate path for them and not having any way to tell if you passed one or not was bullshit.

I think the only one that really bugged me was the one
behind the falling pillar in the collapsing room
. I had no idea it was even there and probably never would have normally.

Getting the ones I found was fine.

Top Bottom