• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

WillyFive

autobzooty said:
Yeah it does.

No.

It doesn't.

Heck, it could make it worse, since the developers would have to try to make it to a higher standard of visual presentation, which could result in the game itself sucking.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How about you guys take your Sonic and console power and game quality debates and fuck off to a different thread? That would be really nice.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Got all 242 power stars in SMG, so I'm aching for at least 120 more!
Can't wait.

Perhaps afterwards I'll finally play through NSMB. I've been ignoring that for far too long.

wrowa

SMG2 turned out so awesome, that the commercials for the game had to be absolutely horrible in order to maintain the balance of the world.

At least I hope so. God, these commercials are so bad.

Nintendo has one of the worst marketing departments in gaming, I swear. They went from pretty good (Wii would like to play ads) to just unbearably terrible (these). Hire some new graphic design and marketing graduates, Nintendo, fucking hell.

[Nintex]

wrowa said:
SMG2 turned out so awesome, that the commercials for the game had to be absolutely horrible in order to maintain the balance of the world.

At least I hope so. God, these commercials are so bad.
I don't think they're bad at all, people are going to love the Disney vibe/happy family in the living room that these commercials have.

Hiltz

... Why did Nintendo ruin the SMG 2 commercial ?

The first one was pretty good without going too much into the "expanded audience" approach but this one takes it too far.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Am I watching a different commercial? I thought it was pretty good, it grabs your attention, and thats what it needs to do.

I don't see what so horrible about the ads. Yes it has people laughing and jumping in them, and a small scene of "wholesome family fun". But I don't cringe at them, while many, many other game ads make me.

I actually like the way the SMG planets are portrayed as real in the ads. Looks beautiful. Something out of a Pixar or Disney movie. And the music makes it *magical*.

MisterHero

the commercial is terrible because in one scene there's a planet made of pancakes and in another scene, a dragon.

those two things just don't go together

DeathbyVolcano said:
They scream "mid-afternoon Nickelodeon commercials," going hand in hand with shit like Green Slime and fucking Crossfire.
Lol, yes. It has so much in common. The coolness of lightning bolts and fire, the awesome voice over, the manly theme song, ...

What would you've preferred for a SMG ad? I guess 100% gameplay would do the job just fine. But if they wanted to be more creative than that, what would you've liked?

I searched for the original SMG ads, and the first youtube result is a "Wii would like to play" ad. Don't tell me you actually preferred those?! Just footage of a bunch of people flailing their arms around with shitty music in the background. You barely even notice what game they advertise, as it is all uniform dreck to promote the Wii console.

Back then, yeah, I liked the Wii would like to play commercials because it highlighted the Wii controller, just like how any relatively new product's advertisements are like. Those wouldn't be appropriate with Galaxy 2, but that doesn't mean they should get fifty times cheesier. Almost exclusively gameplay footage would've been much better, I think.

edit: Not that I actually give a shit, because Nintendo could literally poop into our mouths and yell "fucking buy it" and with the best shit-eating grin we can muster, we would joyfully accept their demands. Galaxy 2 is that great looking.

The commercials are good, they aren't aimed just at gamers. I imagine if my little brother saw this he'd be excited and his imagination would be running wild.
DeathbyVolcano said:
I freaking just exclaimed "crossfire!" out loud before I clicked the link like it was embedded deep in my head all these years. :lol

DeathbyVolcano said:
Back then, yeah, I liked the Wii would like to play commercials because it highlighted the Wii controller, just like how any relatively new product's advertisements are like. Those wouldn't be appropriate with Galaxy 2, but that doesn't mean they should get fifty times cheesier. Almost exclusively gameplay footage would've been much better, I think.
Just saw a "exclusively gameplay" ad for SMG from Japan just now. I prefer the SMG2 ads. They seem much bombastic, epic, displays of utter joy. I'm fully aware that it's mainly the music that does it for me. I greatly prefer the beautiful orchestrated soundtrack than the simplistic mario tune in the Japanese ad. But even besides that, I really like how they created the spherical worlds in the ads. It's beautiful.

I don't get the complaining. The "cheesy" part I guess is the sight of people/families having fun. I understand that. But how can you complain about cheesiness when you liked the Wii Would Like To Play ads. Doesn't make any sense.

Oh well. :)

I'd like to buy a Wii & SMG2 but I am scared that people of all races & sizes & sexual orientations will start hanging around my house smiling and doing other creepy shit.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Nintendo has one of the worst marketing departments in gaming, I swear. They went from pretty good (Wii would like to play ads) to just unbearably terrible (these). Hire some new graphic design and marketing graduates, Nintendo, fucking hell.

facepalm.jpg

You cant be serious.
The first SMG2 ad was amazing, and it trully captures the disneyland vibe the games have (this new one is worst, but its not terrible). Two fucking japanese people entering an airport to play metroid prime 3 with retarded people was disgusting. Showing them with wiisports and wiiplay is one thing, showing them with every game was the most shitty idea Ive ever seen, and it didnt work.

Glad they changed them with the New SMB Wii and Galaxy 2. Im curious to see what they have prepared with Metroid Other M and the new Zelda.

Top Bottom