• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

AniHawk

Gomu Gomu said:
I remember reading a gaffer saying this was supposed to be a parody of something. But nobody got it, and then Nintendo pulled it off?
Yeah it's supposed to be a parody of a PSA like this.

The TWW and Metroid Prime commercials are much worse because they're supposed to be taken seriously.

NimbusD

TreIII said:
Screw you man!

Crossfire is EPIC.

"You'll get caught up in it!" *manly grunts* :lol :lol

That commercial was awesome, they played it on TV for like 20 years. I'm sure if I flipped to nickelodeon every now and then during the day I'd still see it.

Rich!

So obviously, I don't live in the USA. But I want Mario Galaxy 2 asap!

Cheapest place I've found to import it is this site: http://www.gamesbasement.co.uk/games-platform/nintendo-wii/super-mario-galaxy-2-wii-PD-555.html

£35. Which is the same price it'd cost retail over here anyway. But there's no point me ordering it if it takes two weeks to arrive. :lol

If I did order it from this site, does anyone know how fast delivery would be? Would I have it by mid-next week? Hm. The release date is also wrong on that site, so uh yeah.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Crumpet Trumpet said:
Yeah that Sunshine commercial totally flew over everyone's heads. It certainly didn't help with Nintendo's image at the time, though.
I don't think it was over the top enough to let people know it was a parody.

Ranger X

autobzooty said:
This thread is surprisingly inactive

:|

This is because the game is so hot that we don't need to help ourselves getting hyped.
We are actually trying to settle down so we don't bust out our heart before the release.
I am in bed right now with my laptop. Fever, cold towel on the forefront and everything.

Doorman

autobzooty said:

:|
For the moment, I'm chalking it up to a combination of people on media blackouts and the fact that it's not out yet. What exactly is left to discuss when we already know what the power-ups do, but nobody wants to be spoiled on the rest? We're in that period of time between giving speculation and impressions, but that'll be over soon enough next weekend.

Boney

Banned
Ranger X said:
This is because the game is so hot that we don't need to help ourselves getting hyped.
We are actually trying to settle down so we don't bust out our heart before the release.
I am in bed right now with my laptop. Fever, cold towel on the forefront and everything.
:lol

Empty

why would you waste advert time with non gameplay stuff for galaxy 2, it sells itself brilliantly just through raw footage, no need for superfluous fluff like the humans jumping to the tv.

zigg

autobzooty said:

I don't believe we've had a word about the game since Totilo's abstract impressions, have we? Not much to go on.

"Super Mario Galaxy 2's secrets have secrets." Discuss!

EDIT: Or maybe everyone's going and getting 9,999 Star Bits on their SMG save files like I suggested in the last thread.

Lkr

am i the only one confused as to why this game is being released now instead of Q4? Is nintendo that confident Zelda Wii will be able for Q4? Even then, I think SMG2 would be a bigger sell

WillyFive

Empty said:
why would you waste advert time with non gameplay stuff for galaxy 2, it sells itself brilliantly just through raw footage, no need for superfluous fluff like the humans jumping to the tv.

Because it works better that way, and gets more notice. It shows the audience the game is for. Showing adults will help adults feel that it is OK to play the game.

Lkr said:
am i the only one confused as to why this game is being released now instead of Q4? Is nintendo that confident Zelda Wii will be able for Q4? Even then, I think SMG2 would be a bigger sell

Because this game was meant to be Q4 of last year, but was delayed to allow NSMBWii some room to breathe.

No reason to push it back a whole 'nother year.

Boney

Banned
Lkr said:
Because Nintendo realized games can be sold on Summer. See Brawl, Mario Kart, Wii Fit and Wii Sports Resort.

Also it was pushed back.

Anyway, just saw the second TV commercial and my hype meter exploded. Not because of the footage, but it's such a well realized commercial.

zigg

Boney said:
Anyway, just saw the second TV commercial and my hype meter exploded. Not because of the footage, but it's such a well realized commercial.

I was thinking that the boy with his limp-wristed waggle was doing it wrong, myself.

I have half a mind to make a "how to do a spin" demonstration video now

Empty

Willy105 said:
Because it works better that way, and gets more notice. It shows the audience the game is for. Showing adults will help adults feel that it is OK to play the game.

i just kinda feel like so many of those barriers have been broken down with the wii already that the cheesiness of the family playing is more likely to put people off than make them feel comfortable with it.

WillyFive

Empty said:
i just kinda feel like so many of those barriers have been broken down with the wii already that the cheesiness of the family playing is more likely to put people off than make them feel comfortable with it.

It broke the barrier with owning a game console. It didn't break it for individual games, especially one like Mario, that looks like a cartoon and it's very complicated game mechanics.

Lkr

i have a question about the game's development since I haven't been paying much attention: wasn't the game originally going to be a remake with a few new levels or something? when did nintendo scrap that?

Doorman said:
For the moment, I'm chalking it up to a combination of people on media blackouts and the fact that it's not out yet. What exactly is left to discuss when we already know what the power-ups do, but nobody wants to be spoiled on the rest? We're in that period of time between giving speculation and impressions, but that'll be over soon enough next weekend.

True enough. My hype for this game is low, but only because I'm forcing it to be that way. I haven't seen any of the game apart from the very first two trailers that were shown. I was really disappointed with how much of Galaxy 1 I spoiled for myself before it came out.

Someone tell me if my media blackout so far has been worth it. Am I to believe that this will, in fact, be the shit?

Lkr said:
i have a question about the game's development since I haven't been paying much attention: wasn't the game originally going to be a remake with a few new levels or something? when did nintendo scrap that?

It was originally planned as an expansion, but a few months after development began, they found they had too many ideas they wanted to include, so just made it a fully fledged new game.

Lkr

what exactly is to block yourself out of? can the plot really be spoiled for a mario game? if so, I will spoil all mario games for you
peach gets kidnapped by bowser. you rescue peach at the end

Boney

Banned
Lkr said:
When they finished the first one, the team had some cool ideas they didn't implement or thought about too late. So they began working on them on a project internally known as Galaxy 1.5. The ideas grew so fast and so many that they decided to create a Galaxy 2. They thought they could finish it in one year, but took them 2 and a half years.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Lkr said:

Yeah, they were planning on doing variations/remake some of the levels, but ended up having a bunch of new ideas/stages/content. Decided to just take that, and make a sequel.

Edit- Beaten twice.

Lkr said:
what exactly is to block yourself out of? can the plot really be spoiled for a mario game? if so, I will spoil all mario games for you

The joy of Galaxy (and Galaxy 2) is seeing a new galaxy for the first time and hear the gorgeous music.

Someone tell me if my media blackout so far has been worth it. Am I to believe that this will, in fact, be the shit?

Take everything you loved about SMG and multiply by 10, then add in rainbows and unicorns.

Lkr said:

To me, Galaxy 1 was a game all about its magnificent setpieces and the surprises that came from exploring the world. I spoiled just about every galaxy in the game for myself before it came out, so when I finally arrived at Gusty Gardens, it was much less special.

I'm on media blackout for the same reason I was on media blackout for Uncharted 2. I wanna experience that shit for REAL. It doesn't really have anything to do with the plot in either of these cases.

Doorman

Lkr said:
Power-ups, level designs, music, unlocks (SOMETHING happens when you get 120 stars, hell if I know what it is yet), puzzle solutions to a few stars....there's plenty outside of the game's plot that you can spoil yourself on.

I said it in the other thread at one point, but I slowly wound up spoiling myself on nearly every "main" (multi-star) galaxy in the first game and definitely regretted it. I haven't been on TOTAL blackout this time around either, but I'll say I've done a much better job. It'll make the experience all the sweeter in the end.

MisterHero

Lkr said:
but
Mario fails to prevent the destruction of the universe

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fimbulvetr said:
He had connection problems and willy stepped up to the plate first.

Were people going to die if the thread wasn't posted as soon as Gaf allows Officials to be posted? I still am confused as to why this happened.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I think the commercials are fine. The first is a lot better then the second though.

Both are very Disney!, which is a good thing.

Fimbulvetr said:
He had connection problems and willy stepped up to the plate first.

It doesn't matter who does it unless it totally sucks and then it still doesn't matter because it'll just be a distraction from the game itself:lol

But you did a more than adequate job on the thread.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Black-Wind said:
Do we still not know what happens when you get all the stars?
A unicorn pops out of your Wii's disc tray and cures world hunger and disease, then asks you for a wish.

Top Bottom