• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Gsnap

So this 1-1 contest. When it's time to vote, is there going to be one place with all the submissions listed? I'm going to participate and I also want to vote, but I don't want to go through the thread to find each individual post.

Teknoman

Oh, you're going to have doors underwater which send you back to the start and have Spike Walls underwater I have to navigate?

I don't give out stars, but if I did, this guy would never get one.

You should still give stars lol. If it's well made, you'll help them have a higher upload.

WVW69iZNiQAAik27tC

Disco Inferno - (D519-0000-0043-F3F0)

I'm going to attempt a vertical level later. Hopefully it turns out well. x:

Pikma

Banned
Tips:

Show ahead of time that blue platforms fall. Better to have the death fall completely on the shoulders of the player since you taught them first. Also, the spin jump at the height of jumps isn't known by a lot of people (evidenced by the death spots) so maybe make the player jump high and have some coins at the peakread ZR or something.

Also, you can take the Lakitu cloud over the first few set of spikes, making the level WAY easier.

Once I got the flow down, it was fun to use muscle memory and memory-memory to follow the coins (well, most of them) to victory.
Thank you, spin jumps are completely optional though, it's 100% beatable without them since there are multiple paths. Thanks for the feedback too, I will definitely refine the course even further.

MouldyK

You should still give stars lol. If it's well made, you'll help them have a higher upload.

I gave one out to some Lisa girl who made a level which didn't make me question what i'm doing with my life.

As Arin (Egoraptor) said in Game Grumps Sonic '06 Episode 20:

YOU GOTTA MAKE A STATEMENT! YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF!! AND SAY WHAT HAVE I'VE BEEN WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY!? NOT FUCKING THIS!!!

JakenBear

Neo Member
I tried to add a little story to this level.

The Goombas are starving. As a last resort they have captured all the Buzzy Beetles and are processing their meat and shells. Can you save Buzzy Beetle from extinction, or will you save yourself?

BUZZY BEETLE MEAT FACTORY

8jR3XpK.jpg

DD92-0000-0043-DCBD

xandaca

Played some Gaffer levels this evening, here's my feedback. Starred all of them, because good manners.

shameless reposting my level from earlier
Wii_U_screenshot_TV_018_DD.jpg

I tired to make a traditional mario so theres some serects and fun stuff, alongside platforming challenges
I'm pretty pleased with it for the most part, I just wish i had more room to work with.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated thanks.

Very decent level, never unfair, the challenge felt at the right level, it was enjoyable throughout. Mixed up the core idea to a good degree and didn't outstay its welcome. Didn't exactly blow my mind, but no real criticisms. A perfectly solid effort.

Finished up this level last night. It's my first one with a subscreen, themed like a toadstool aboveground level then a more classic underground feeling one after. I bring you:

Fungus Amongus: D748-0000-0040-5DFF

I liked this level from the silly name alone, but it was a lot of fun to play as well. Again, solidly enjoyable throughout, my only criticism would be to line up the bridge you land on in the first underground area with the cliff it leads to. I assumed there might be a secret below it, in the area with the chomp on the rail, and went down to check, subsequently getting stuck and having to start again. Otherwise, good fun.

I could use some feedback on some of my levels , if anyone wants to try them and feels they're worth commenting on. I want to improve them, so let me know what you think would make them better.

Spelunking?
ID: 571A-0000-0026-2E43

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to play and comment on these. I'll be checking back in this thread regularly to get more new courses to play and hopefully some helpful feedback.

Alright level, no real challenge and navigating the various passageways felt constricted and overly controlled. I didn't feel as though I was interacting with much of the level so much as just following it to the end, though the multiple paths alleviate this slightly. Could do with a few more enemies and a bit more freedom for the player. No outright problems per se, just lacked any spark.

8o9v5wRh.jpg

Name:Thwomp Mines
Tileset: SMW/Caves
Difficulty: 5/10
Code: C77F-0000-0042-3484

Would really love some people to try this out. It's my first time not making a brutally hard level! Let me know what you think :) there are tons of secrets in this level too!

Really enjoyed this, it was well-designed, moderately challenging and the placement of the first subworld pipe is appreciably fiendish - I found it when I completely mistimed a jump. There's one instance of a thwomp falling from off-screen above, but you signpost it with the blocks on the ground, so not really a problem, even if it could maybe be refined. The ending with multiple dry bones jumps was great. Nicely done, even if I wouldn't call it 'brutally' hard. Moderate difficulty (World 4 or 5 level) at most.

I've made a course themed around pushing and shoving wiggler's riding clown cars. Would appreciate your guys' feedback!

Attack of the Wiggler Nation: BD8B-0000-0040-38FA

This was really entertaining. The Wiggler Clownships would sometimes annoy me, but never in an unfair way. The level of challenge was good and the boss fight was very inventive, reasonably quick and a lot of fun.
The placement of the invisible block beforehand
was clever and hit the right level of subtlety, neither too vague nor too obviously signposted, just right to catch the eye of anyone paying attention. Inventive and fun with well-balanced difficulty. Good stuff.

Sölf;179013892 said:
This one was pretty cool. Died the first time, because I thought I had to spin jump at the end. xD

I am also reposting a few of my levels:

Played your Bowser's Final Stand level. Started out really enjoyable, the mini-maze to hit the P-Block was neat and not too difficult to work out what needed to be done. Unfortunately, five boss fights is ridiculously over the top, especially considering the relative lack of decent power-ups (put one before Bowser Jr Fight 2 - the Thwomp jumping section is fair, but difficult). Had the level ended after Bowser Jr Fight 3, I'd have been perfectly happy. Instead it went on and on, and by the time I died after the fourth Bowser Jr fight (in the clownship), I gave up out of frustration, making this the only level I didn't complete. I like the idea you used for the last Bowser fight (I looked at it on the map), but there definitely shouldn't be more than three boss fights total. Also, the red cannon firing the koopas in Bowser Jr 3 killed me more times than Bowser Jr, which got old very quickly indeed as it fires right into the middle of the arena, where you're most likely to be standing given the gaps in the floor and nature of BowJu's attacks. The idea behind the level is great, but it needs some serious cutting (and I say that as someone who makes long levels myself). My advice would be to prevent the player from ending Battle 1 prematurely with the star, then go to Battle 4, then Bowser. Maybe make the Thwomp jump section a little easier too, since in a level this long, the idea (for me, anyway) should be to demand a consistently solid level of performance from the player without throwing big spikes at them. Love the idea, execution needs work.

I need more people to play this level and test it out. I am thinking about making an easier version of it (that counts as a separate level) but I want to see more people try to complete it first to see if that is the right decision.

I'm not sure you need to make this a lot easier, but right now it is more frustrating than fun. It's a good technical challenge, but you could, for instance, lower the second jump to be less demanding (the trampolines are fiddly to begin with) and maybe have a few more moderately difficult challenges thereafter. The one with the rising platforms and the moles is a good example of a fair, well executed challenge based around the level's core ideas. Having to try the same jump over and over again because you always hit half an inch below the top of the platform you were aiming for gets irritating quickly. As I said, decent technical challenge, but not exactly enjoyable in its present state.

This will be my second level, GoombaZone.com.

WVW69iZKJLMaDQEx8N

Pretty simple level, goomba themed. Getting used to the mechanics of the game. Would love some feedback!

B3E3-0000-0042-5499

Good, solid level. Not too difficult, about the right length, never unfair. I liked the goombas completing the staircase at the end. No particularly strong notes, either positive or negative, but a perfectly functional level with a decent amount of variety for its short-ish length.

Zero148

Ok, I spend a good chunk of the day to create my new level. It is called "A day at the mushroom zoo"

It is my first level with Lakitus and there for it can be hard because of the randomness of these. I had the idea to make it a fair level through putting the player in somehow the creators perspective. This is archieved by showing the player any harm (enemies, spikes) a lot of time before they can be harmful in a theme and story compatible way. There are enough Mushrooms to beat it, but normally it will take a few tries. Of course there are three hidden 1 ups for an extra challenge.

Ths is also my first level with somewhat a story told through the level. Any feedback is welcome and much appreciated.

WVW69iZNvrUwrrFjZ2

998F-0000-0044-0CFC (A day a the mushroom zoo)

Snow Cone Summit

D81E-0000-0044-070C

wPUODkP.png

This is intended to be a fairly standard Mario 3 ice level, but when you reach the end there is a little musical section. :)

I don't expect it will be as popular as my other levels, I think it might end up being a little too difficult. Guess I will see.

I've also learned something: even if you are extremely careful to block off all the green hill tiles in the background of your level, because you're making an ice level and you don't want any green showing, the level map preview will still show those green hills, because it doesn't draw them accurate to how they are in the actual level. The level itself is correct as I designed it though.

I'll be streaming again at about 9PM Eastern or so. Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

In the meantime, you could also give my first stage a try:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179036060&postcount=7614

Heh, my post just below yours, if you don't mind.

D81E-0000-0044-070C

Zero148

I'll be streaming again at about 9PM Eastern or so. Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

I will play your stage right now.

I would love if you gave my stage "Show your Flow" a shot in your stream

5321-0000-002E-3989

Exotoro

Assembly Line Level

390B-0000-0039-E512

Kind of hard. The level takes place in a factory with all kinds of level elements on moving paths and conveyor belts.

Mario's Heart Attack

63BE-0000-0034-0CD6

Mario's having chest pains! Really trippy but easy level.

Upside Down

D96E-0000-0028-25AF

This is my favorite. It's kind of tough but its basically a Mario level flipped upside down.

Secret of Magenta Mines: B279-0000-0034-1EB8
Difficulty: Beginner
Length: Short (Replayable)
Tileset: NSMBU - Underground

5 different paths that are essentially 5 different levels in one.

Yay, glad you're streaming more.

Man this is the second time i enjoyed your clever stages, love the digging aspect and the puzzle to get into the pipe. Anyways got a saying if it happens twice it'll probably happening thrice, time to replay and try to find the other ways to complete it.
subscribed can't wait to play some more of your stages.

I gave your level a try, and I must say it was an interesting ride! A little frustrating at first, until I understand the "secret" of the mines. In hindsight, it was a fairly obvious hint. I found 2 routes, and I'll try the other ones tomorrow I think :)

Aww, thanks for the feedback. Grinning like a fool. Will have to give your levels some love in return. :)

Thud

My latest:

Name: Thuddert
Title: Cave Trolls
Description: Fun little level with a nice sense of designers humor aka trolls.
ID: 8274-0000-0043-CBB2

Depending on your skill level you can try to conquer the doors, otherwise stick to the pipe :p.

Your stage is fun, I'll finish it tomorrow. SMB Airship theme is so good.

Sölf

Played your Bowser's Final Stand level. Started out really enjoyable, the mini-maze to hit the P-Block was neat and not too difficult to work out what needed to be done. Unfortunately, five boss fights is ridiculously over the top, especially considering the relative lack of decent power-ups (put one before Bowser Jr Fight 2 - the Thwomp jumping section is fair, but difficult). Had the level ended after Bowser Jr Fight 3, I'd have been perfectly happy. Instead it went on and on, and by the time I died after the fourth Bowser Jr fight (in the clownship), I gave up out of frustration, making this the only level I didn't complete. I like the idea you used for the last Bowser fight (I looked at it on the map), but there definitely shouldn't be more than three boss fights total. Also, the red cannon firing the koopas in Bowser Jr 3 killed me more times than Bowser Jr, which got old very quickly indeed as it fires right into the middle of the arena, where you're most likely to be standing given the gaps in the floor and nature of BowJu's attacks. The idea behind the level is great, but it needs some serious cutting (and I say that as someone who makes long levels myself). My advice would be to prevent the player from ending Battle 1 prematurely with the star, then go to Battle 4, then Bowser. Maybe make the Thwomp jump section a little easier too, since in a level this long, the idea (for me, anyway) should be to demand a consistently solid level of performance from the player without throwing big spikes at them. Love the idea, execution needs work.

After the flying section I actually planned something completely different with moving platforms and saws and stuff. But that didn't work out quite as I had hoped it would. So instead I thought "Okay, why not make a sort of boss rush?" In retrospect, I think I overdid it quite a bit. If it were only the bosses that would be one thing, but since there is a small section between each bosses (and some are indeed quite hard, like the Thwomp one). The thing with the cannon annoyed me also, but they had to spawn/land on the middle platfom because of the holes in the ground. Also, since I made 5 fights I had to make them different enough to feel fresh. The very first at the beginning didn't even had Koopas, you had to lure Bowser Jr. to the blocks so he would break them. Then I realized if you didn't manage to do that you had to restart.

I may just split this whole thing in half, and make two stages instead of this big one. One could end with the second or third boss battle, the other one start in the section right after that.

jholmes

Snow Cone Summit

D81E-0000-0044-070C

wPUODkP.png

This is intended to be a fairly standard Mario 3 ice level, but when you reach the end there is a little musical section. :)

I don't expect it will be as popular as my other levels, I think it might end up being a little too difficult. Guess I will see.

I've also learned something: even if you are extremely careful to block off all the green hill tiles in the background of your level, because you're making an ice level and you don't want any green showing, the level map preview will still show those green hills, because it doesn't draw them accurate to how they are in the actual level. The level itself is correct as I designed it though.

Sold on the name alone.

More than your skills at making levels I'm jealous of your eye for good level names.

Sölf

If you are willing to play something else from me (since I was already in round 1), here is a fairly simple stage:

Para Plains
7A11-0000-0036-294D

So I finished "You only live once" after posting the beta yesterday. I would LOVE it if someone could give it a try and give feedback.

The premise is that Mario is a secret agent who is infiltrating Bowser's volcano base to put a stop to his evil shenanigans.

Features:

* Clown Car Shmup-style section
* Can you obtain all the extra lives?
* Optional mini-boss fight.
* Boss fight
* Celebratory ending

Put quite a few hours in so would really appreciate some comments.

You only live once - D165 0000 0044 2892

I will play levels from anyone who plays my level and will give constructive feedback if necessary. Cheers!

Will def play your level when I get home - but if possible, you could try my non-traditional level, The Waluigi Parable
Code: 48DE-0000-003B-21C5

Theorymon

Apologies if you count the previous stream with the "one code per GAFfer" rule, but if that's allowed, here's a course of mine that people seemed to REALLY love earlier in the thread! It's much better than that Sonic one. It's easy but it has a "story" behind it.

The Goomba: A Sad Tale of Madness BDAB-0000-0033-2697

pulsemyne

New one from me.

Red Hot Wriggler Bounce

ID: A0A4-000-003E-43C4

This is a very tricky course. Only try if you really good at platforming. You have been warned!

jholmes

If you did my level Wiggler's Red-Hot Fortress, that'd be pretty cool.

92AB-0000-0032-4720

OmegaDL50

I know you streamed one of my levels earlier, but IF it's okay. Can you check out this one?

This is the very first level I made. It's revised and fixed from the original. Even crafted a story to go along with it.

~Wario heard rumors of an deep underground cavern. This cavern was said to be filled with the remains of lost kingdom's ancient gold treasure. "Wahaha! That treasure will be mine!" Wario said as he went to the cave himself.~

WVW69iZKN68Ch7V4O3

Subterranean Complex(Revised)

434D-0000-0042-5E2F

PSqueak

Banned

Assault the Machine Fort:
ID:C76C 0000 003B 787A

Would mean the world to me~

Gsnap

PMS341

My stage currently has a .5% Clear Rate... would love to see you change it! Here it is:

First stage!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkcCy0jzg

Dry Bones' Boollet Hell

4yq1Bxr.jpg

ID: FA34-0000-0031-3EBE

It requires a bit of patience but it's worth it. :3

Super fun and challenging, was getting frustrated with all the thomps. till i found the helmet.. then lost it instantly cause i had to make a jump under a thowmp and lost it cause it was too low.. my only complaint really other wise it was a fantastic stage, hard but not unfair. except the thwomp thing..

Thanks so much for playing. I knew the Thwomps would be a bit tough, but there is actually an alternate path for each of them, and it's possible to go through the stage without directly confronting any of them (except for the last one).

If you're still taking submissions: Take the A-Train (F5F2-0000-0040-42D2). In the meantime, I'll look into yours.

Wish I could get some feedback with this level:
Yoshi's Springboard Spring
35E4-0000-0042-DDEB

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Streaming the following levels live. Watch at either of these URLs:
http://gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live
http://youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

If you join late, remember that you can rewind the stream at any time to catch what you missed. Also try picking a lower resolution/quality setting if the stream is lagging for you.

D81E-0000-0044-070C UncleSporky
5321-0000-002E-3989 Zero148
B279-0000-0034-1EB8 Lady Siara
8274-0000-0043-CBB2 Thud
7A11-0000-0036-294D Solf
48DE-0000-003B-21C5 Belgian Dude
BDAB-0000-0033-2697 Theorymon
92AB-0000-0032-4720 jholmes
434D-0000-0042-5E2F OmegaDL50
C76C 0000 003B 787A PSqueak
98A3-0000-0038-2E02 Gsnap
FA34-0000-0031-3EBE PMS341
F5F2-0000-0040-42D2 QuixoticNeutral
35E4-0000-0042-DDEB Coffeehofi

Taichu

I tried my hand at creating a Zelda 2 style dungeon level. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Zelda 2 Dungeon 7454-0000-0044-479F

jnWake

Name: Under the Thwomp.
ID: 7D5F-0000-003F-B84F.
Thwomps are falling from the sky! Luckily, you can protect yourself staying below moving platforms. Good luck!

EDIT: Lol top of the page for a shameless post like this. Oh well, I'm playing some random GAF levels and I'll share my impressions soon.
EDIT again: Seems I was late. This is even worse advertising then! Anyway, if anyone wants to play the level I'd be glad! I think it's good haha.

Pooxi

Neo Member
Hey Gaf, I need help playtesting this level
If you play it please tell me what you think, if its too tedious or hard. It definitely was before I tweaked it lol

TLoM 1-2 Fire Temple
75E0-0000-0044-485C

WVW69iZOPzsgP8aIq2

Also here is the revised version of the first part of "the legend of Mario"

TLoM 1-1 Forest Temple v2
60BF-0000-003F-2DDB

Now, to play some of your levels

Finn

One more for the day! This time it's my first castle stage:

Title: B Sharp or B Flat
101E 0000 0044 520F

ETA: The title is a little bit of a nod to a Goonies quote! If you get that, we can be best friends.

Streaming the following levels live. Watch at either of these URLs:
http://gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live
http://youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

Heh, in my level you went through the door backwards! Maybe I shouldn't have given a leaf at that point, because if you miss the high path earlier you end up exploring and finding it like you did, and getting sent backwards. Not only that, but you get up there and find a fire flower so you can't even fly back up. :p

I'm glad you liked it though!

Finn

Name: Under the Thwomp.
ID: 7D5F-0000-003F-B84F.
Thwomps are falling from the sky! Luckily, you can protect yourself staying below moving platforms. Good luck!

EDIT: Lol top of the page for a shameless post like this. Oh well, I'm playing some random GAF levels and I'll share my impressions soon.
EDIT again: Seems I was late. This is even worse advertising then! Anyway, if anyone wants to play the level I'd be glad! I think it's good haha.

Just played it. I liked the gimmick of using the moving platforms as protection from the Thwomps, but I thought you were too stingy with the power ups. Even a couple of mushrooms would have been welcome! That said, still a fun level.

Grinchy

Banned
Tread Lightly3: Tread Light Rises --- A48A-0000-0043-0175

It's ready to go! I put bird chirp sound effects in so that if you are jumping at the right time from the platforms, you get the chirp. If you don't hear the chirp, you're probably dead.

Please try it out!

SplendidSillyCassowary.gif

Reposting this from a few hundred posts ago (this thread moves more like sanic than mario). I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who is willing to give it.

Top Bottom