• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Hylian7

I'm trying to 100 Mario Challenge on Expert...I'm down to five lives now.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST STOP MAKING LEVELS WITH RANDOM BULLSHIT THAT KILLS YOU

Seriously, I'm tired of all the "lol you move to the right at all at the start and you die automatically" or the "lol there's a thwomp above you right at the start that you can't see" or the worst, the ol' "this jump is so obvious we're going to block it with an invisible block because fuck you!" This shit isn't challenging, it's just unfair, frustrating bullshit. Stop it!

Schlomo

Current second post in the thread from Daydream still says October, so that's what I've been going with.

Submission deadline: Monday, Oct 21 (12pm GMT+1)
Voting period: Monday, Oct 21 - Monday, Oct 28 (12pm GMT+1)

Oct 21 is not a Monday though...

Eteric Rice

Seriously, I'm tired of all the "lol you move to the right at all at the start and you die automatically" or the "lol there's a thwomp above you right at the start that you can't see" or the worst, the ol' "this jump is so obvious we're going to block it with an invisible block because fuck you!" This shit isn't challenging, it's just unfair, frustrating bullshit. Stop it!

Thank God for the skip function.

Anyway, new level up! Not that hard really, but was neat to build. Any comments or criticisms welcome!

1135-0000-0045-5F4A

DryvBy

C00F-0000-0022-5E5A

KooopaKid

Banned
New stages. Would love to hear from anybody who checks them out. I always try to make a fun level first and foremost, I'm not really in it to give people a super hard challenge or fill a level with gimmicks. Hopefully they are challenging but not in a frustrating way:

WVW69iZOAp0AAGSD9a

Ghouly Shroom Hoppin'
4702-0000-0044-2C1D

WVW69iY4k-E31lfV7g

Toaster Coaster
32C8-0000-003B-2215

WVW69iYrn3UiB4zyc_

Go Mario, Go!
7EE1-0000-0034-BF02

WVW69iYnvkQBaT1u4h

Fun Valley (2.0)
1CA3-0000-0032-BF76

---

I'm always checking out levels in this thread, but if you play one of mine leave a code in your comment and I'll be sure to return the favour :)

Will do tonight!

Robin64

My levels have all been really wonderfully recieved, they get really nice comments on Miiverse, and 500 stars between 6 levels is not bad I feel. :)

But the down side is I'm having problems coming up with new ideas that will meet the expectations of those who like my current stuff. I feel I have to work twice as hard now. It's silly, but yeah, I don't want to churn out something "okay".

correojon

Currently working on a really cool SMB3 ghost house. Can't wait to come home tonight and continue my work on it. I intend to make it my densest level yet. Level architecture, a sense of place, as well as multiple/secret paths will be the main focus of this level. Difficulty will take a slight back seat, but it will still be challenging. I hope to share it with GAF before the weekend.

I was wondering though. How do you copy multiple level objects at once? I've read the manual and it says that you can hold the copy triggers and than trace to select, but it doesn't seem to work out for me. Any help would be much appreciated.

First press R/L and drag to select the objects. Then press ZR/ZL, and drag the selection to the copy destination. It´s really useful, I´m doing this all the time.

I´d like some more options for editing though:
  • Shift all objects X squares right/left/up/down.
  • Use L, ZL for multiple selection and copying like now, and ZR to toggle on/off erasing (rather than having to hold it). Pressing both R+ZR or L+ZL while using the other hand to erase is not very comfortable.
  • Use R for object pick up: if you click on an object you have laid down while holding R it will become the active object, so you can easily work with objects you´ve already used instead of having to display all objects and pick the one you´re using.
  • Use one of the face buttons to play from where you are (like when you press the play button, which works differently than pushing the - sign).

AniHawk

a friend left a comment on someone's bullshit level saying, 'blind jumps are bad level design - use coins to guide the way' and the response was, 'cool drink bleach :)'

i wish i had the power to snap the little shit's disc and erase save data his with my mind.

My levels have all been really wonderfully recieved, they get really nice comments on Miiverse, and 500 stars between 6 levels is not bad I feel. :)

But the down side is I'm having problems coming up with new ideas that will meet the expectations of those who like my current stuff. I feel I have to work twice as hard now. It's silly, but yeah, I don't want to churn out something "okay".
It is an odd paradox. I've seen some people with enough stars for 100 upload slots yet it is unlikely they will reach that cap because making good levels takes such a long time as does finding creative ways to bypass the limitations of the toolbox.

I wonder if these sorts of creative blocks are why so many platformers in the past had a minecart level because something that is on-rails is a bit easier to make and pad your game time with.

a friend left a comment on someone's bullshit level saying, 'blind jumps are bad level design - use coins to guide the way' and the response was, 'cool drink bleach :)'

i wish i had the power to snap the little shit's disc and erase save data his with my mind.
Is it possible to report on miiverse for encouraging self harm? Almost sounds like we need a block creators option.

Hylian7

Of course.
facepalm.gif

I wish I could filter out any level that involved tons of springs bouncing on tons of springs. I see this in like every other level.

I just had one that I actually beat, but it was the stupidest shit. It was SMW style, you get a Yoshi and Feather fairly early on. After a skull track ride, you get to a long platform that just has one Magikoopa on it. Kill the Magikoopa, then what? There's absolutely nothing but abyss to the right, yet you know it's the way you have to go. Only logical thing is to just get a running start, jump, and hope the cape carries you to wherever you're supposed to go. Tried that and held the button the whole way, and fell short of the platform and died.

The next time I made it on the platform, but there was a giant Bowser Jr. there, and right behind him was a wall of solid blocks RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE FINISH. Killing Bowser Jr. gets you nothing, and now I'm like "Well shit".

What was the answer? You get a running jump from that long platform with Yoshi, ditch the Yoshi at the apex of the jump and fly over a point of the wall in front of the finish way up high. Literally nothing in the level gave any kind of hint that was it, other than fucking trial and error.

Arrows and coins are in for a reason, use them people!

Unless they're wrong and just lead to bullshit deaths, because I have seen that happen a few times.

Mistle

How'd you get the audience?

I don't have many levels above 10 plays let alone 500 stars :p

KeRaSh

You and your first world problem! :p
If I'm lucky I'll have 60 stars across my 4 levels by the time I get home from work today...

correojon

If I'm lucky I'll have 60 stars across my 4 levels by the time I get home from work today...

I have around 15 stars :( Though I just started yesterday posting some levels on forums and such and I´ve got almost as many stars in 1 day than in the rest of the time. Still, I have a very simple level which gets played a lot, other with just 3 tries and another which no one has played yet in 4 days.

DoubleYou

Do you guys advertise your levels?
My level got played on a stream yesterday and everyone seemed to really love it. But when I wake up in the morning no one has played it and it's still at 1 star 2 playthroughs. Am I missing something?

Schlomo

My level got played on a stream yesterday and everyone seemed to really love it. But when I wake up in the morning no one has played it and it's still at 1 star 2 playthroughs. Am I missing something?

Unless the stream showed your level ID, it would be very hard for watchers to find it.

KeRaSh

I just advertise my levels here in the Thread every now and then but that's it. Not sure what else there is to do.

weepy

Uploaded another level: Wings n Things (81DA-0000-0045-82F8)
And my first level: Speedrunner (E0BB-0000-001D-397B)

Would really appreciate some creative crits even if it's just yeas or nays. Thanks guys!

ramparter

Banned

At least we should be able to put creators on an ignore list. And also tag their levels as trolling. After 5 or 10 tags Nintendo could investigate them and ban the little pricks.

ramparter

Banned

Guess I have to try your levels, but beware I'm gonna put some harsh comments if its the automated shit regardless of how "omg amazing" it is :p

crap: dp

So, what do kids like?

- Flappy bird
- trampolines

So I offer you :

WVW69iZRibAPkSTAm9

a flappy bird on a trampoline!

(70B5-0000-0045-8DAE)

Precision platforming, some jumps can be tricky.

devonodev

I see this posted a lot and I find the opposite to be true. I mean, it's easy to make hard levels in it, but I find it much harder to make a hard level that actually feels like it belongs in a Mario game. Going to give it a shot soon though!
I like challenge in my platformers, so when I try to make something easy, I struggle to draw the line between "Everyone can play this and have fun" and "Literally everyone can beat this why bother." I understand what you mean though

El Daniel

My latest level is based on a level from Kaizo Mario 2 although less hard. It's still pretty hard but I tried to make it as fair as possible. You'll probably need a few tries but it's not impossible.

u21nmog.jpg

Sölf

Two levels would definitely be better. I enjoyed each segment independently, but after a while it becomes exasperating, especially when you die and have to do it all over again. I played it quite a few times, which should tell you that there's a lot of merit in what you have done, there's just too much of it.

I splittet the level now in 2 parts. The first one has the first 3 bosses and ends right after. The second one has the flying Bowser Jr. and Bowser himself. It shorter, but maybe harder. I also switched the section before the third and fourth bosses, so that part 2 now starts with the Thwomp section. I also replaced a mushrom with a Fireflower in the now final section in Part 1.

Anyways, here are the codes for Bowser's Final Stand:

Part 1:
CF7C-000000-45-91EA

Part 2:
CB91-0000-0045-93EA

This game...I haven't had much time to play it due to work, but every moment I'm not playing it I'm actively thinking about it. IT'S SO GOOD!

So, I put in a bunch of time and just finished the second level in my PSI Rockin' series, and I would greatly appreciate any feedback and/or criticism you all might have!

Below I have posted the screenshots, codes, and text description for eachI I've been trying to make these levels fun and engaging for average mario players while providing a reasonable challenge without having to resort to the usual bullshit I've been seeing while trying to beat Expert 100-Mario challenge (which became so frustrating at one point I wanted to break my gamepad like a venom'd up Bane wants to break Batman).

PSI ROCKIN' 1-2
(301D-0000-0045-6828)
WVW69iZRbhA4e0Wlnm

This here is level two in my PSI Rockin' series, in which I'm attempting to build moderately challenging levels for your average Mario player that feel engaging without resorting to deathtrap gimmicks and brutally unforgiving pixel-perfect jumps. For 1-2 I've tried to slightly ramp up the difficulty from the first level while also rewarding daring play and exploration.

PSI ROCKIN' 1-1
(9f59-0000-003B-99C7)
WVW69iZRSt07gnvH9a

Here is level 1-1 in my PSI Rockin' series. I tried to keep the level fairly breezy for the average mario player while still having some moderately tricky jumps to keep it engaging.

Nohar

New one, still "Classic" Mario stage for beginners. Not quite sure if I should have rated it ★★★ instead. It is easy for most experienced players, but I'm fully expecting my relatives to die a couple times.

Name: 1-4 Difficulty: ★★☆☆☆
World: Super Mario Bros 3 (Castle)
Notes: Two hidden 1UP (all of my stages always have at least one 1UP hidden btw).
ID code: 758E-0000-0045-95B9

Recap post with all my levels (minus screenshots).

Now, let's see what little wonders you made between yesterday and this morning~

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is that bottom bar in the objects for anything other than just a custom bar basically? It seems strange to me as it still leaves spaces when you took the things out of their original places. Is it for DLC perhaps?

Since you can customise the order of all the bars I believe the purpose of the favourites bar is to act shortcut bar for the current level you are working on. Since 'proper' Mario level design tends to focus on only a handful of objects, adding them all to that one bar would be a good way to encourage this.

KooopaKid

Banned
I tried the level you linked here and it was super fun. Just tricky enough to be fun, but not obnoxious. I followed you, starred, and commented on your other levels too. Lots of fun. Highly recommended.

Here's one of my stages if you want to take a look:

Pesca 2-1
9D0E-0000-002D-ED62

Cool! I'm always trying to be fair. Never any luck involved. I will try yours tonight.
Tonight I'm tackling my first castle level and boss fight.

Eteric Rice

All of my levels got some upgrades, so feel free to give them a whirl. Some are easy, some a bit harder. Comments, criticism, and stars are appreciated. :)

Island Hop! [6CCB-0000-0045-9949]
Boo's Ride Along! [4981-0000-0045-9974]
The Curious Cavern! [C9D9-0000-0045-96D1]
Shell Hell Panic! [1135-0000-0045-5F4A]

I keep changing the names. Still trying to decide if I want to keep the exclamation mark at the end of every name. >_> Wish they would let you edit trivial stuff like that without having to re-upload.

I just uploaded Wall Jump Cave 2, the direct sequel stage to my well received original Wall Jump Cave :)

Wall Jump Cave 2
bM4m3Z5.jpg

(21E3-0000-0045-9F3E)

Wall Jump Cave
LoC3iF0.jpg

(E32A-0000-0014-0C53)

Simple, fair platforming. No cheap tricks. Just an intermediate-level test of your wall jumping abilities. Multiple routes through each stage, and some nice secrets too.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I like challenge in my platformers, so when I try to make something easy, I struggle to draw the line between "Everyone can play this and have fun" and "Literally everyone can beat this why bother." I understand what you mean though

The way Mario games accomplish this is by giving most levels some kind of unique characteristic, and then building the level around that. NSMBW and NSMBU are particularly good about it, where a single major level gimmick is rarely reused beyond its signature stage: the Parabeetle stage, the Spinecoaster stage, the water bubble stage, etc. (Furthermore, that's also why I like how those games lock Yoshi to specific stages: it lets the designers build challenges specifically around his use and prevents him from breaking non-Yoshi stages.)

So I think a good starting point is to pick one specific item, obstacle, or game mechanic, and start building setpieces around that. You can then "pad" the areas of the level between those setpieces with really basic bog standard Mario stuff, and that basic Mario stuff may still be interesting because of what's surrounding it. You can also start with simple uses of the characteristic in question and gradually get more elaborate with it by the end of the stage, so long as you properly condition the player to master it. I gravitate toward challenging platforming stages myself, but I'm making an honest effort at building an "easy" but interesting stage now, and I'm doing it by designing it around the use of Goomba's Shoe.

EDIT: The post above this one looks like it might be a good example along the same lines: building a level primarily around wall-jumps.

Farmboy

ICYMI: would love some feeback on my first full-fledged level. Was aiming for an original take on SMW-style Ghost Houses.

Honorable Mansion

Difficulty: Medium
I hope. This is the third version, trying to get the balance right. Earlier versions turned out too hard.
Tileset: Super Mario World
ID-code: 6298-0000-0043-30D2

WVW69iZL4OwaI6Mjvt

I try to post whenever I make a fun level, but mine yesterday did not get played. Stars are a hit or miss thing honestly.

Anyways...
Half way done with my puzzle airship level, it is shaping up nicely.

Thud

The way Mario games accomplish this is by giving most levels some kind of unique characteristic, and then building a level around that. NSMBW and NSMBU are particularly good about it, where a single major level gimmick is rarely reused beyond its signature stage: the Parabeetle stage, the Spinecoaster stage, the water bubble stage, etc. (Furthermore, that's also why I like how those games lock Yoshi to specific stages: it lets the designers build challenges specifically around his use and prevents him from breaking non-Yoshi stages.)

It also feels good to jump around in NSMBU. I'm thinking about one using all three NSMB moves: Ground Pound, Wall Jump and Twirl then combine them at the end :p.

I finished your level today. Some bad designs and I do hate those spiny bastards, but overall fun and challenging. Really feels like a long vertical stage. With checkpoints after a warppipe it would be amazing.

it's just a bird tweeting sound online
Custom sounds are removed on upload

Aw :( Oh well, at least it doesn't affect visibility.

This is way late (didn't notice this post until now, sorry), but you can bounce on thwomps by spin jumping without getting hurt. Thanks for playing though!

Damn it, I knew there was something I was missing! I don't think I've ever actually done a spin on a thwomp, I don't know why I didn't think to try it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Does anyone know what difficulty of the 100 Mario challenge Sonic is unlocked in?

Also note to creators: Stop putting enemies in blocks. It's not clever. It's just annoying.

Hasney

Does anyone know what difficulty of the 100 Mario challenge Sonic is unlocked in?

Also note to creators: Stop putting enemies in blocks. It's not clever. It's just annoying.

I think you can do any and it's just random what you unlock. At least from what I'm seeing.

Second point: I agree... Although the occasional ghost in a ghost house is fine. Just not one in every row of blocks.

devonodev

"Super Metroid Crateria"
AA6E-0000-003B-F933
A few remade Metroid rooms, quite short.
"1-1 The Sequel"
4E1B-0000-0045-3859
A simple alternate 1-1 for Mario 3.
"1-1 With More Wet"
7ED2-0000-003B-DE61
A different take on the SMB 1-1 remake.
"Do the Mario!"
825D-0000-002B-EF64
A Mario World-like level, with a few secrets, shortcuts, and finding where to go.

Give some a try, and post your own levels I'll try them too. :)

Yeah at first it was cute but now it is annoying.
Also please stop making people use springs. Since they are programmed based on SMB, they are inconsistent.

wagamer

I like when you progress in a level with bullet jumps, so I made one myself :) Hope someone likes it.

WVW69iYtuHk_aOTbnX

Bouncin' With Bullets
(6AD1-0000-0035-B14C)

MrBadger

Trampolines are like the Minions of this game. They're obnoxious and annoying but kids love them so you can't go 10 seconds without seeing one

OwlyKnees

Going to leave feedback on the levels posted on this and the following page later today!

Interested to hear feedback on my two SMB3 themed levels from a collection of four. Would love to hear feedback on these two before I progress with the other two. They are relatively simple in nature. I attempted to avoid any cheap moments and make two levels that felt like fun, pleasant, self-contained adventures. Hard to judge that yourself, though. Lack of checkpoints is difficult to balance!

Storming CraftKoop - ACA0-0000-0042-56B8

A simple storming of a Koopa craft in an attempt to locate and defeat Bowser Jr. Three hidden 1-UPs. Optional power-up.

Piranha Peaks - 50EB-0000-0045-9EAA

Busted bridge! Take to the rooftops, Mario! Integrates note-blocks (oh-so inconsistent!) and vines. Three hidden 1-UPs. Optional power-up in an odd haunted house.

Top Bottom