• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

jepense

Ugh, I don't think I'll be doing a level like this again. I'm very happy with the results, but this was so much more work than a "normal" level. And what's the special thing? Well...

Presenting my ninth:
Boo's Inverted Haunt
WVW69iZJ2h0x-4PWuq

DBF8-0000-0042-2E51
Description: A ghost house level with a gimmick. When you enter a Warp Pipe, the level spins 180 degrees. To go right, you must go left. Stand on top on one platform, then walk across the bottom of it shortly after. And finally make your way past spinning saws and moving platforms.
Secrets: Three 1-up Mushrooms. All hidden in the exact same manner.​

This one took a lot of time to do. Mapping out an exact copy of the main world in the sub world is time consuming, especially when it's flipped 180. Not to mention route planning since some parts of the map has to work both ways up. Pencil and paper was required. I really hope you guys like it, I doubt I'll do another one this crazy any time soon...

Very nice! I had a similar level in the works before I saw this, but finished it only now. Yeah, it took a lot of tinkering to get both sides of the level work...

WVW69iZOz2IDFq5UhR

Name: Super Mario Galaxy 3
Tileset: SMB3 airship
ID: FA15-0000-0044-8A76
Description: This is a puzzle level, so it should be a ghost house. But the gimmick is gravity switching, so I liked the sky/industrial airship theme more as a nod to Mario Galaxy. There are some stage hazards, and you are on a flying ship, so there is definitely an element of danger here, but none of the traps actively come and get you, so you can take your time to find the right path.
Secrets: Three 1-up Mushrooms. There are a couple of junctions where the incorrect path leads to a 1-up as a consolation.​

I've made a couple of levels in the vein of old school Super Mario VS. style. The levels are completely beatable while offering a nice challenge and maybe a couple of surprises. Here are the level codes:

Remix VS. One
8626-0000-0025-83C9

Remix VS. Two
DD1B-0000-0040-6ACE

If you can try these levels and leave me any thoughts or constructive criticism. These are my first couple of levels that I've designed and I look to make more with a classic style of challenge. If you like these levels, please feel free to give them a star.

Thanks.

Not sure how much my word means, because I'm far from a mario pro or anything, but I thought your levels were pretty good. I appreciate these kind of levels that keep it straight forward, and don't get too crazy. Yours were challenging, but fair who know how to play SMB, least that's just my opinion.

I bought this game on launch day, but I didn't have my Wii U available til today. So far I'm kinda bummed with how so many of the top rated courses are just the flashy "don't press anything" type stages. I've really just been longing to see people make unique, but still classic Super Mario stages. Oh well, maybe it'll get there in time.

I've been digging into it as much as I could today. My first stage that I uploaded to get my feet wet, was I just made a backwards version of 1-1 from Super Mario Bros, lol.

I just finished and uploaded my first original stage. I used the SMB3 theme, and I think it's tough but fair like a classic Mario stage could be.

If anyone is willing to try it out, I'd greatly appreciate it, and would love feedback. here's the ID for it:

BB92-0000-0044-C9E2

It's called Return to Giant World

This was a solid stage. Really like how you jumpes straight to giving the super leaf. Its nice to just jump straight into a more dynanic power up. The first part with bowser you should add some coins directing right so the player knows to jump. I didn't realize until it was too late. I liked the sub area but I dunno if there was suppose to be something there. Regardless, I liked the design of it. The bowser junior part I could do without though. Good Level.

I've made a couple of levels in the vein of old school Super Mario VS. style. The levels are completely beatable while offering a nice challenge and maybe a couple of surprises. Here are the level codes:

Remix VS. One
8626-0000-0025-83C9

Remix VS. Two
DD1B-0000-0040-6ACE

If you can try these levels and leave me any thoughts or constructive criticism. These are my first couple of levels that I've designed and I look to make more with a classic style of challenge. If you like these levels, please feel free to give them a star.

Thanks.

I liked both of these. I meant to star Two as well. 1 felt like a classic SMB level. Two was good but there are some blind jumps that need to be addressed. The higher up you go the more visual cues there need to be about whether the bottom of the stage is safe. A few times I basically just accepted the jump was possible death because I was unsure if I missed sonething telling me its safe.

If you guys could throw some feedback to my ghost house level that would be cool too.

Hylian7

I wish there was some way to make it where you have to defeat an enemy (such as a Bowser or Bowser Jr.) to advance. The best thing I could come up with for a level that had an enclosed Bowser Jr. Fight was to put Boos all around the exit pipe, so the player had to focus on the Bowser Jr. first, but even that doesn't always work as you'll be turning constantly, and eventually you will get a chance to just make a break for it.

Tidalwave

It's finally here. The epic finale: Mario vs Bowser

Will Mario finally slay the villainous King Koopa, or will his journey come to an abrupt end?

Will he lose everything or fight to take back the princess?

The choice is yours.

The battle is now.

Mario vs Bowser
1Hp6n8T.jpg

ID: 86F4-0000-0041-0C02

I would really appreciate some feedback on this level. I'm trying to figure out what's too difficult for an average player and what isn't. I have a section in mind I'm planning to re-do but I'm waiting to see if anything else needs to be touched on so I can just make it the final version.

One thing I can't help is Bowser's placement. Unfortunately the player has to learn how to manipulate him a little in order to keep the path forward clear.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I know there was a patch that was supposed to do something about getting more pieces earlier/faster, but what exactly was it? I started the game 3 days ago and still only have like a few things unlocked. It always says that my next delivery will be the following day, so it looks like I have to wait those full 9 days. Am I missing something?

jholmes

Ok, I know there was a patch that was supposed to do something about getting more pieces earlier/faster, but what exactly was it? I started the game 3 days ago and still only have like a few things unlocked. It always says that my next delivery will be the following day, so it looks like I have to wait those full 9 days. Am I missing something?

It works the same but after you get the cued-up delivery, you can spam blocks (make sure you try all the new things you unlocked, this is required!) and you can unlock the next set in just a few minutes. You can repeat this process to unlock everything in a couple hours.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It works the same but after you get the cued-up delivery, you can spam blocks (make sure you try all the new things you unlocked, this is required!) and you can unlock the next set in just a few minutes. You can repeat this process to unlock everything in a couple hours.
WTF? I could've sworn I was doing that. I was using all the new pieces to build a level and combining the assets as well. Arrrgh.

jholmes

WTF? I could've sworn I was doing that. I was using all the new pieces to build a level and combining the assets as well. Arrrgh.

No man, SPAM THOSE BLOCKS EVERYWHERE. Just fill up the screen with them.

http://www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming

testing out my stream and playing gaffer stages for anyone who wants me to try theirs

Might as well go three for three! Let us know about the archive so I can watch later.

Mole Mountain: 2AB6-0000-002D-182F

fernoca

Keep using Maker.
To unlock everything in under an hour:
-Next day delivery notification.
-Place a tons of blocks.
-Early delivery notification.
-Use every new thing you just got, place more blocks.
-Keep making things for 5 minutes.
-Rinse and repeat. :p

This was a solid stage. Really like how you jumpes straight to giving the super leaf. Its nice to just jump straight into a more dynanic power up. The first part with bowser you should add some coins directing right so the player knows to jump. I didn't realize until it was too late. I liked the sub area but I dunno if there was suppose to be something there. Regardless, I liked the design of it. The bowser junior part I could do without though. Good Level.

I liked both of these. I meant to star Two as well. 1 felt like a classic SMB level. Two was good but there are some blind jumps that need to be addressed. The higher up you go the more visual cues there need to be about whether the bottom of the stage is safe. A few times I basically just accepted the jump was possible death because I was unsure if I missed sonething telling me its safe.

If you guys could throw some feedback to my ghost house level that would be cool too.

Thanks for the feedback! I love the leaf, and SMB3 in general, so yeah I wanted to make something that used it right away. The first Bowser is sorta meant to be a trick...it can be a shortcut, but it's also risky. I suppose a warning would have been a good idea though. The sub area is also just kinda meant to extend the level a little, and me experimenting some more.

I just played through your Ghost House stage, and I thought it wasn't bad. I love the SMW theme also, so I dunno if I like your stage, or it's just the nostalgia kicking in lol. That being said, I do think there may have been a few too many ghost circles. Not that they were too hard, but I just felt they slowed the level down a bit. Maybe just a few more regular Boos who would chase you in place of those. Still not bad! Those tricky Boos coming out of the ?s all got me lol

http://www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming

testing out my stream and playing gaffer stages for anyone who wants me to try theirs

I'd appreciate some more feedback on mine, and I'd enjoy seeing someone play it if you'd wanna try. The code's at the top, but here it is again: BB92-0000-0044-C9E2

Damax

Neo Member
Made a stage starring Luigi, he can't seem to go anywhere without getting blocked by something. Although there may be a few different paths.

It's called Luigi Blocked: (59D7-0000-0040-18B1)

WVW69iZP7YMECstZ0V

ameleco

Hey guys! Back again with a new level! This level is a twist on the don't touch the mushroom idea but this is a bit easier, and I love the finale I came up with!

WVW69iZP-HM9huwSLt

It is called "Don't Get P'd On!"
Course ID: CE60 0000 0044 E651

As usual, any feedback is welcome!

I would really appreciate some feedback on this level. I'm trying to figure out what's too difficult for an average player and what isn't. I have a section in mind I'm planning to re-do but I'm waiting to see if anything else needs to be touched on so I can just make it the final version.

One thing I can't help is Bowser's placement. Unfortunately the player has to learn how to manipulate him a little in order to keep the path forward clear.

I liked it. Very epic feeling and honestly, you must have play tested the shit outta this because almost every thing I imagined being an issue really was not. A few things. You wanna encourage people to keep playing so some of the mushroom blocks should be fire flowers. Give the player an extra hit. It does make it easier but they will be way more likely to stay. Hide the P button on a bottom question block. I had trouble grabbing the damn thing off the top. This level is too hard for am average player to do in 2-3 attempts. If you are going for that you'll have to reduce the dofficulty. I think I needed 4-5. Boss battle was decent. The game is really limiting in that regard but I'm glad you let us use fire flowers to speed it up.

Good job. Starred

Nosgotham

ok my last upload of the day:

Doki doKi reMiX 1
0CCA 0000 0044 E605

difficulty: easy

super mario bros 2 inspired level largely based off the familiar elements in the opening levels of the game. this level is much easier than my other original platforming levels but i wanted to pay homage to the one missing game in this package.

lemme know if yall like it !

Made a stage starring Luigi, he can't seem to go anywhere without getting blocked by something. Although there may be a few different paths.

It's called Luigi Blocked: (59D7-0000-0040-18B1)

WVW69iZP7YMECstZ0V

Not bad! It took me a while to figure out that there was a vine in that one block for some stupid reason lol, otherwise, I think it was pretty challenging. I kept losing my Luigi suit, which made me sad, but it's my own suckage.

Tidalwave

I liked it. Very epic feeling and honestly, you must have play tested the shit outta this because almost every thing I imagined being an issue really was not. A few things. You wanna encourage people to keep playing so some of the mushroom blocks should be fire flowers. Give the player an extra hit. It does make it easier but they will be way more likely to stay. Hide the P button on a bottom question block. I had trouble grabbing the damn thing off the top. This level is too hard for am average player to do in 2-3 attempts. If you are going for that you'll have to reduce the dofficulty. I think I needed 4-5. Boss battle was decent. The game is really limiting in that regard but I'm glad you let us use fire flowers to speed it up.

Good job. Starred
Hey thanks!
I actually really wanted to add fire flowers but I feared the player would kill bowser eliminating any difficulty :(

Alright, I'll switch the mushroom and the P switch at that section since the mushroom will fall anyway.

What about the part with the falling blue platforms during the first section? Was that ok?

Edit: And, yes I stayed up an entire night and morning play testing this.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Keep using Maker.
To unlock everything in under an hour:
-Place a tons of blocks.
-Early delivery notification.
-Use every new thing you just got, place more blocks.
-Keep making things for 5 minutes.
-Rinse and repeat. :p
Son of a bitch... Ok, thanks for the tips, guess I'll do that tomorrow.

One last musical level before I go to bed...really should've gone to bed ages ago.

k1GblND.png

Like I say in the Miiverse comment, I used up almost every object you possibly can on this. Enemies and objects like POW blocks are one pool, powerups are another, and they're just about all used up. Chords are expensive! As a result it is sadly pretty short, but I did what I could. :)

Hey thanks!
I actually really wanted to add fire flowers but I feared the player would kill bowser eliminating any difficulty :(

Alright, I'll switch the mushroom and the P switch at that section since the mushroom will fall anyway.

What about the part with the falling blue platforms during the first section? Was that ok?

Edit: And, yes I stayed up an entire night and morning play testing this.

Ah I see. Sucks that the propeller suit would break the level in a way the cape or leaf wouldn't. It wasnt too bad imo. 4-5 tries is fair.

The blue platform part was easy. The little twirl you can do after a regular jump in the nsmbu theme makes those sorts of jumps simple. My bigger worry would be players who wouldnt know to use it.

I would playtest that part with just regular jumps with no extra hang time and see if the are straight forward.

drakkar

Neo Member
Been trying to perfect my platforming skills.

Blaze it up
Course id: 798A-0000-0044-F186.

Not very hard. One or two twists. Tell me what y'all think of it. Still learning about this game.

So many possibilities in this game..OuF!!!

Thanks for the feedback! I love the leaf, and SMB3 in general, so yeah I wanted to make something that used it right away. The first Bowser is sorta meant to be a trick...it can be a shortcut, but it's also risky. I suppose a warning would have been a good idea though. The sub area is also just kinda meant to extend the level a little, and me experimenting some more.

I just played through your Ghost House stage, and I thought it wasn't bad. I love the SMW theme also, so I dunno if I like your stage, or it's just the nostalgia kicking in lol. That being said, I do think there may have been a few too many ghost circles. Not that they were too hard, but I just felt they slowed the level down a bit. Maybe just a few more regular Boos who would chase you in place of those. Still not bad! Those tricky Boos coming out of the ?s all got me

I might have to play it again. I didnt realize the top wasnt the main path. Is the bottom path actually a main? I just saw piranas and said nope. Haha

Yeah. The challenge I had with this level was figuring out how to diversify my design within the ghost house tile. I cheated a bit with an enemy type in the sub area but I tried to use entirely Boos. So the circles were to diversify the challenges. I agree they slow down the level though. I as of now didnt know how to make a controlled encounter with the boos. Still learning. I trolled a lot with the blocks.

Added to the queue! Thank you both :)

Thanks for streaming (and starring!). It's been interesting to see other players work their way through the obstacles and encounter some of the unique mechanics for the first time. Curiously, in both of the streams I've seen, the first Skull Raft managed to take the Koopa at the beginning down with it into the lava, which I never picked up in testing. The variance comes from how early you start moving and the Koopa's position on the raft when you take off. It really invites all the more respect for how thoroughly Mario Club tests Nintendo's in-house stages, when the slightest difference can dramatically change an interaction of two moving parts.

I might have to play it again. I didnt realize the top wasnt the main path. Is the bottom path actually a main? I just saw piranas and said nope. Haha

Yeah. The challenge I had with this level was figuring out how to diversify my design within the ghost house tile. I cheated a bit with an enemy type in the sub area but I tried to use entirely Boos. So the circles were to diversify the challenges. I agree they slow down the level though. I as of now didnt know how to make a controlled encounter with the boos. Still learning. I trolled a lot with the blocks.

Lol, yeah, the reason the leaf is there is you can fly between the piranas pretty easily, the sub area is the "main" area you could say.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't mean to be a stick in the mud since we're all having a good time making and sharing levels, but I'm coming to the opinion that this ought to have been a $39 title. It feels far too limited in its toolset and in the online implementation to be a $59 title. Just not enough here.

Like I say in the Miiverse comment, I used up almost every object you possibly can on this.

I hit the tile limit on Dave 4 long before the stage was finished. Inexplicably low limit. Had to turn the stage into swiss cheese to make it work.

Core Zero

Decided to play some more GAF levels, and avoid the treachery of 100-Mario Challenges...

My first real go at creating a level (after a few throw away attempts while getting used to the tools available):

Goobma Gaol 266D-0000-0044-90F6

I'm not a terribly great SMB player, so I wanted to make a level that felt like the right difficulty to me. Some challenge the first time around, a bit of verticality, a few secrets, but a level that you can cruise through once you've mastered it. I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Feedback is much appreciated!

I think you hit the spot you were going for. A couple sections you have to be wary of, but nothing too difficult. The level flows pretty well and feels cohesive as well. If I could make one small suggestion, I would say to close off the ceiling to the left of the entrance to the "bonus" area, it's a lot of empty space if you get up there and decide to explore. Also, not sure if intentional or not, but it is possible to get onto the roof of the 2nd half of the level. Might be worth sticking something up there for people that find a way up. Regardless of those things I think it's a nice level and good first effort.

Just got the game yesterday and just now finished my first course! It's just my attempt at a fairly simple classic-style Mario level. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

(775B-0000-0044-9C75)

(The level name is "Up and Across!")

Good job on your first level, it feels very natural. I'd put the difficulty somewhere around a mid-game difficulty for a standard Mario game. My two main thoughts:

-The two goomba in the raised platform section both seem dangerously placed. The first jumped down onto the moving lift, and the second was just about at the edge of the platform when I was jumping to it. This isn't bad, necessarily, but I wouldn't be surprised to see people dying to both due to limited chance to react.
-I can easily jump over the flagpole. Again, not bad really, but I think it pays to be aware of how players might abuse jumps.

(I feel like I'm being overly nitpicky with criticisms, just trying to point out things I notice as I play through... Moving on...)

Would appreciate if you could try mine out:

Title: B Sharp or B Flat
101E 0000 0044 520F

This was directed at someone else, but I couldn't resist a musical title. This level is definitely on the tricky side, though I think it befits a castle level. For some of the jumps it's better to move fast rather than wait, so after a couple deaths to retry things the level feel like it flows better. I thought the hidden area is cleverly signaled as well. The Bowser Jr. fight at the end feels a bit anticlimactic after the trickiness of the level, but perhaps at that point the player has earned it. Good level!

Bowser's 789th Castle

7C67-0000-0044-D08A

Castle #789 starts out deceptively simple, pretty standard castle stuff with some jumps over lava and fiery traps. The back end gets more and more hectic though, as burning cheep-cheeps try to fry Mario at every chance they get. But like the nice guy he is, Bowser has seen fit to leave a few extra powerups strewn about to help take the edge off. Overall I like the design. The enemies in blocks are bit annoying but mostly ignorable. The only thing that I find frustrating is the large number of cheep-cheeps that build up near the end. Have to seek higher ground right away! But, the level is still beatable without too much trouble, so it just makes for a tense finale.

I bought this game on launch day, but I didn't have my Wii U available til today. So far I'm kinda bummed with how so many of the top rated courses are just the flashy "don't press anything" type stages. I've really just been longing to see people make unique, but still classic Super Mario stages. Oh well, maybe it'll get there in time.

I've been digging into it as much as I could today. My first stage that I uploaded to get my feet wet, was I just made a backwards version of 1-1 from Super Mario Bros, lol.

I just finished and uploaded my first original stage. I used the SMB3 theme, and I think it's tough but fair like a classic Mario stage could be.

If anyone is willing to try it out, I'd greatly appreciate it, and would love feedback. here's the ID for it:

BB92-0000-0044-C9E2

It's called Return to Giant World

I am admittedly a fan of Giant World and the big enemies in this game, so I appreciated this level. I think the sub-level and the 2nd half are well done, but the beginning left me a little confused. I presume the piranha plants are meant to be a deterrent in flying over to the pipe, but because so many are offscreen it feels a bit cheap. That said, it is possible to use invicibility to just run and jump across the piranha platforms to the pipe. I like the idea of the "Bowser Bridge" but it dumps me past the pipe, at a different pipe, that spits me out at the wrong end of the subworld. I found it a bit confusing and frustrating. Once I figured out the intended routes the level was quite fun though. Just as one more note, it is possible to fly over the pipe in the sub-level into nothingness and doom. I had to check, but as far as I can tell there's nothing over there, so I would suggest securing the area more completely.

------
Without a doubt, all of the GAF levels I've played thus far have been a cut above what seems to be popular, or common in the 100-Mario challenges. I expect this game to last a long time as people get more and more comfortable with designing levels and using all the available tools. Hopefully I can contribute more good levels

Reposted, my most well developed (but very hard) ghost house level:

Kamek's Kursed Magic House Updated!
Code: 889F-0000-009A-3D03
Style: SMW

CPEzXVlUYAI7529.jpg

Note: Disregard code in image, level has been changed and reuploaded
Building on an idea from the World 3 Castle from SMW, I created this Ghost House for Kamek to torment the player, even as you need him to progress. The latter part includes some typical Ghost House shenanigans and a deceptively tricky bit of platforming. EDIT: Removed a redundant obstacle near the end of the level, and made a secret easier to find.

Also, I'd like to share the only level I've uploaded that has received stars outside of GAF:

Bowser Jr.'s Security System
Code: 8959-0000-002A-EA6A
Style: SMB3

CPEzqiGUwAA3IC-.jpg

Bowser Jr. is making his last stand, and has put a gauntlet of obstacles between Mario and himself. Tackle this classic SMB3-style castle the best way you see fit, and try to find the one powerup that will carry you safely through Jr.'s elite guard.

Please try my courses and offer any feedback and suggestions you may have. I will warn that these courses are definitely hard, and intentionally so, but I have tried to make them fair and avoid "cheap" or unavoidable deaths and offer alternate solutions to hard sections, and I think I have a good eye as to what makes a hard but enjoyable challenge.

Lol, yeah, the reason the leaf is there is you can fly between the piranas pretty easily, the sub area is the "main" area you could say.

I just played it again. This makes so much more sense now. I entered the sub area backwards because I went through the bowser path. So what I thought was the beginning of the sub area was the end and the dead end I saw was because you come out through the pipe in the top. This is so much more clear now haha.

KeRaSh

I don't run into many SMB3 stages at all (compared to the other three themes), so I guess maybe I'm not alone. I've never actually seen a SMB3 ghost house in the wild yet. But it has the weakest ghost house music in a game with some amazing ghost house music, so that might be why.

You should definitely give this SMB3 Ghost House a try then!

WVW69iYyzace2mp2LG

Dry Steve's haunted Mansion
BC1A-0000-0038-2B29

Kyzon

No man, SPAM THOSE BLOCKS EVERYWHERE. Just fill up the screen with them.

Might as well go three for three! Let us know about the archive so I can watch later.

Mole Mountain: 2AB6-0000-002D-182F

I just played through your Ghost House stage, and I thought it wasn't bad. I love the SMW theme also, so I dunno if I like your stage, or it's just the nostalgia kicking in lol. That being said, I do think there may have been a few too many ghost circles. Not that they were too hard, but I just felt they slowed the level down a bit. Maybe just a few more regular Boos who would chase you in place of those. Still not bad! Those tricky Boos coming out of the ?s all got me lol

I'd appreciate some more feedback on mine, and I'd enjoy seeing someone play it if you'd wanna try. The code's at the top, but here it is again: BB92-0000-0044-C9E2

I'm on it

CloakBass

Thanks to everyone that submitted a level and/or stopped by the stream. That was a fun time, hope we can do that again soon! If anyone is interested in seeing the archive of their level being played check it out here: http://www.twitch.tv/mugenmidget/v/16387605 (GAF levels should start around the 2-hour mark)

Thanks for streaming (and starring!). It's been interesting to see other players work their way through the obstacles and encounter some of the unique mechanics for the first time. Curiously, in both of the streams I've seen, the first Skull Raft managed to take the Koopa at the beginning down with it into the lava, which I never picked up in testing. The variance comes from how early you start moving and the Koopa's position on the raft when you take off. It really invites all the more respect for how thoroughly Mario Club tests Nintendo's in-house stages, when the slightest difference can dramatically change an interaction of two moving parts.

I hear you man, I had a doozy getting Bowser Jr. to cooperate in my own level. He kept randomly jumping to a floor several spaces below him -- and then sometimes not. I maintain that Mario Maker is part of a grand Miyamoto plan to have gamers appreciate how hard the job can be.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How is the keeping of other people's levels handled? Can you choose to hold onto however many you want in some kind of favorites section, and play them indefinitely? Is there a limit?

I am admittedly a fan of Giant World and the big enemies in this game, so I appreciated this level. I think the sub-level and the 2nd half are well done, but the beginning left me a little confused. I presume the piranha plants are meant to be a deterrent in flying over to the pipe, but because so many are offscreen it feels a bit cheap. That said, it is possible to use invicibility to just run and jump across the piranha platforms to the pipe. I like the idea of the "Bowser Bridge" but it dumps me past the pipe, at a different pipe, that spits me out at the wrong end of the subworld. I found it a bit confusing and frustrating. Once I figured out the intended routes the level was quite fun though. Just as one more note, it is possible to fly over the pipe in the sub-level into nothingness and doom. I had to check, but as far as I can tell there's nothing over there, so I would suggest securing the area more completely.

Man, I thought I put enough blocks to prevent anyone from flying over the pipe in the subarea...thanks for letting me know. I guess I never considered how it might be confusing with the vine, and the pirana plants both being paths...I figured since the vine was invisible, not everyone would find it.

I can see how going into the sub area at it's exit would seem weird and frustrating. I wish there was a way to prevent people from going in the exit... Like in older real Mario games, a lot of times when you come out of a pipe, you can't just re-enter it, but they didn't prevent that in this game, which can really screw up those intended routes.

M.D.L

Neo Member
My second level:

r57qcsZ.jpg

One Shell

Theme: Super Mario World
ACA4-0000-0043-D81B

You need to think while playing this level, please give it a try :D

Tidalwave

Ah I see. Sucks that the propeller suit would break the level in a way the cape or leaf wouldn't. It wasnt too bad imo. 4-5 tries is fair.

The blue platform part was easy. The little twirl you can do after a regular jump in the nsmbu theme makes those sorts of jumps simple. My bigger worry would be players who wouldnt know to use it.

I would playtest that part with just regular jumps with no extra hang time and see if the are straight forward.

I edited the level and attempted to make it more player friendly. Hope you give it one more go so I can get that star back :)

Mario vs Bowser

1BC9-0000-0045-01DC
QrpocHV.jpg

Core Zero

Man, I thought I put enough blocks to prevent anyone from flying over the pipe in the subarea...thanks for letting me know. I guess I never considered how it might be confusing with the vine, and the pirana plants both being paths...I figured since the vine was invisible, not everyone would find it.

I can see how going into the sub area at it's exit would seem weird and frustrating. I wish there was a way to prevent people from going in the exit... Like in older real Mario games, a lot of times when you come out of a pipe, you can't just re-enter it, but they didn't prevent that in this game, which can really screw up those intended routes.

The lack of one-way pipes is a pain, though you were smart and put the sub-level entrance high up. The only thing you can really do is put an arrow pointing into the pipe or similar, and hope that the player notices it (and trusts it). I would have still explored the sublevel (as I bypassed it on my first playthrough) but at least I would have known the intent before I got through it to a seeming dead-end.

Also, I tend to like trying to break levels, get outside boundaries, and find weird ways of getting through levels, so I just had to try getting over the pipe. It's definitely difficult to cover all the possibilities when designing. Anytime anyone wants someone to try crazy stuff in their level, I'm willing!

KeRaSh

I'll be streaming again at about 9PM Eastern or so. Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

In the meantime, you could also give my first stage a try:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179036060&postcount=7614

Heya, might have missed the cutoff date but maybe save it for the next stream?

BC1A-0000-0038-2B29

The_Dude

Made my first level while I've been lying sick in bed over the last week. Be great to hear some feedback!

Bowser's Fall Retreat
B5CF-0000-0045-0B86

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Heya, might have missed the cutoff date but maybe save it for the next stream?

BC1A-0000-0038-2B29

Just post again the next time I ask for it. I'll probably be on sometime tomorrow.

I *might* do it really late tonight, but only if I have some bad writer's block while working on my own levels.

massoluk

Banned
I deleted my old level in the excel sheet in the 2nd post.
Whoever own the excel, I'd appreciate it if you can add a new one for massoluk

Just another throw away Yoshi level.
(5895-0000-0045-0E2F)

xandaca

Thanks to everyone that submitted a level and/or stopped by the stream. That was a fun time, hope we can do that again soon! If anyone is interested in seeing the archive of their level being played check it out here: http://www.twitch.tv/mugenmidget/v/16387605 (GAF levels should start around the 2-hour mark)

I hear you man, I had a doozy getting Bowser Jr. to cooperate in my own level. He kept randomly jumping to a floor several spaces below him -- and then sometimes not. I maintain that Mario Maker is part of a grand Miyamoto plan to have gamers appreciate how hard the job can be.

Couldn't get to sleep so am watching your stream. Thanks so much for playing my level! Shame you couldn't complete it - in fairness to you, only one person has managed so far - but I hope you enjoyed it and it was really interesting seeing how you approached it. You got most of the techniques down pretty quickly - I was pleased that you more or less immediately picked up using the koopa shells to take out the hammer bro and chain chomp - while the pipe after the clownship section leads to a Bowser fight (where you free a star with the bombs he throws) and then the goal, so you weren't far away at all.

As for the hidden fire flower,
the clue's in the thumbnail. After you emerge from the section with the sawblades, thwomps and flame cannons, use one of the bullet bills to jump up to a ledge above the pipe. The flower's there, along with two coins.
I may change the challenge since it caused so much distraction - they're supposed to enhance enjoyment, after all.

Thanks again for playing, fantastic stream!

Top Bottom