• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Beepos

Do you get any data on those who play your created level, such as pass, fails etc...

It would be cool if you could watch replays of players attempting to finish your level or completing it (unless that is already included!)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Do you get any data on those who play your created level, such as pass, fails etc...

It would be cool if you could watch replays of players attempting to finish your level or completing it (unless that is already included!)

You get:

# of players who starred your level
# of players who played your level
# of times the level has been cleared
# of times the level has been attempted (total number of tries, not number of unique players)
clear percentage (times cleared / times attempted)

People have mentioned that you can also view the exact places where people have died on your level but I don't see an easy way to get that to show up without also playing it and just dying at specific screens to see the other deaths at that screen.

correojon

Oh, you can also get Yoshi early by
using the P switch at the beginning twice to get through the blocks on the right and either run through the flowers or using the shell of the red Koopa to clear the flowers
, if I remember that right.

Hey, stop sequence-breaking my level! XD

I thought I had blocked that path, it must have reopened in a later edit., I´ll have to redo that part. We really need taller levels, I ran out of space vertically and it´s not like the level´s big or anything. Let´s see if I can squeeze some blockades there...

KeRaSh

Just post again the next time I ask for it. I'll probably be on sometime tomorrow.

I *might* do it really late tonight, but only if I have some bad writer's block while working on my own levels.

Unfortunately I'm not always on GAF and this thread moves really fast so I'll probably miss it again. :( Your last shout for it was around 2 AM for me.
I should really tell my boss to not require me to actually show up to get paid! :D

Hylian7

You get:

# of times the level has been attempted (total number of tries, not number of unique players)

People have mentioned that you can also view the exact places where people have died on your level but I don't see an easy way to get that to show up without also playing it and just dying at specific screens to see the other deaths at that screen.

They really need to make a way to do this. I would love to be able to look at this.

PKrockin

Impressions for PKrockin's Caution: Hard Hat Area

I didn't finish this stage, as I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. I liked that you can shortcut so much of the level (running jump over the first gap, only ride the elevator for a short while, etc.) but once I got to the area just past the giant Thwomp, I'd get stuck. The hard hat protected me from the Thwomps but I couldn't get up over them without getting injured... walking on them hurts you. There's that extra shell I could take but I always lose it to the damn pirahna plants or something... I suppose if I managed to keep the shell I could keep hopping back and forth on it on top of the Thwomps, but that's pretty advanced. I'll give it a shot right now but the fact that it's so easy to lose and once you lose it you're (seemingly) screwed is a bummer. I've got to be missing something easier.
This is way late (didn't notice this post until now, sorry), but you can bounce on thwomps by spin jumping without getting hurt. Thanks for playing though!

So I finished "You only live once" after posting the beta yesterday. I would LOVE it if someone could give it a try and give feedback.

The premise is that Mario is a secret agent who is infiltrating Bowser's volcano base to put a stop to his evil shenanigans.

Features:

* Clown Car Shmup-style section
* Can you obtain all the extra lives?
* Optional mini-boss fight.
* Boss fight
* Celebratory ending

Put quite a few hours in so would really appreciate some comments.

You only live once - D165 0000 0044 2892

I will play levels from anyone who plays my level and will give constructive feedback if necessary. Cheers!

Don't think anyone played this so would really appreciate your feedback. Especially on the boss fight. Tried to make it fun but also slightly original. Thing is, it relies on certain things happening so not sure if it is always possible to get past. Yes, I'm asking you to QA my level XD. As always if you play with mine, I'll play with yours 😉

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Lord of the Fish - Easy/Medium
23F9-0000-0045-2636
ZmKRDzQ.jpg

Enjoy :)

I want to expand on this some more with more design later !

correojon

You get:

You can see some glowing red crosses on the zoomed out level overview. You may have to complete the course first, not sure about that. Also, I don´t know if all deaths show or if they are somehow grouped by proximity, in some of my maps the amount of deaths and crosses didn´t match.

Varaladis

Just thought I'd post my levels. Most of them are moderately tough. Give feedback if you'd like, I'd appreciate it. Will go through levels before me and check them out.

DA9D-0000-0044-F7D4 - The Trap House
Very puzzley. Hidden stuff and interesting puzzles (I think)

2730-0000-003F-F9AA - Only Go Left
User PiercedVeil always makes fun of mario because all you do is go right, so I made a level where you move left to progress

87B0-0000-003B-330B - Super Meat Boy
Homage to super meat boy level design, fast and saws (hard)

5512-0000-003A-DF07 - Mariovania
My take at a metroidvania type game. It's not very good I think, but some may like it.

7872-0000-0039-1D91 - The Long Haul
Very hard. 1 block jumps. Long. Instant death

4B56-0000-003A-0B2F - The Long Haul (easy mode)
Easier version of the level above. No death and segmented level

0925-0000-0045-63A0 - Sneaking Mission
Turn into a goomba, infiltrate their ranks, and break into the vault at the end. Will you be able to defeat the vault guard?

Hylian7

Is that bottom bar in the objects for anything other than just a custom bar basically? It seems strange to me as it still leaves spaces when you took the things out of their original places. Is it for DLC perhaps?

You get:

Just press the (-) button to bring up your levels, under uploaded courses, select each of your levels indivisible and the mini map displays "X" where people are dying in your level.

Mendoza

Are you guys posting from your Wii U to get those imbedded pictures of your stage?

Anyway, made my first 'non-obstacle course' stage.

Buzzy Beetle Barrage
Difficulty: Advanced
E93E-0000-0045-2917

Here's one of my obstacle courses which you need a firm grasp on SMB physics.
Tricky Trampolines: Beginner
DC46-0000-0043-5D3E

Looking forward to some GAF feedback.

This was a solid stage. Really like how you jumpes straight to giving the super leaf. Its nice to just jump straight into a more dynanic power up. The first part with bowser you should add some coins directing right so the player knows to jump. I didn't realize until it was too late. I liked the sub area but I dunno if there was suppose to be something there. Regardless, I liked the design of it. The bowser junior part I could do without though. Good Level.

I liked both of these. I meant to star Two as well. 1 felt like a classic SMB level. Two was good but there are some blind jumps that need to be addressed. The higher up you go the more visual cues there need to be about whether the bottom of the stage is safe. A few times I basically just accepted the jump was possible death because I was unsure if I missed sonething telling me its safe.

If you guys could throw some feedback to my ghost house level that would be cool too.

I tried your level with the Boos and it took me a good five or six times to beat it. This was due to the challenge. I enjoyed your level and look forward to playing more of yours in the future.

I took your advice and added one visual cue that might offer a surprise for what I felt was the one area that could need a visual cue.

Here is the new code for the level if you or anyone else would like to give it a go.

E051-0000-0045-385C

P.S. Thanks Hyrule Warrior for the kind words. I'm giving your Return to Giant World level a go right now!

devonodev

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

1-1 The Sequel
4E1B-0000-0045-3859

A simple alternate 1-1 for Mario 3, it's tough making a stage that's easy, yet not boring. Hopefully I've found an okay balance.

jholmes

Snow Cone Summit

D81E-0000-0044-070C

wPUODkP.png
‎

This is intended to be a fairly standard Mario 3 ice level, but when you reach the end there is a little musical section. :)

I don't expect it will be as popular as my other levels, I think it might end up being a little too difficult.  Guess I will see.

Real good work here. Level looks and plays good! One big issue: the gap before the music room looks like it leads somewhere. I tried going down on my second run through and there was a ton of Xs down there, so clearly everyone else thought it looked safe too!‎
‎
Wish I could get some feedback with this level:
Yoshi's Springboard Spring
35E4-0000-0042-DDEB

This level needs some serious playtesting. Not only is the difficulty totally out of whack, but things don't work the way you mean for them to. You know those handsome green structures you put your doors in front of? Mario can jump on top of them, and in most cases, since there's no way to get down, that's fatal. This is a huge issue, given how easy it is to do, especially after Bowser Jr.! Also I feel like you haven't put yourself in the mind of a stranger first approaching the level. It's easy to run past the thwomps, but people won't know that until they know what's coming. By that time they'll have mastered a very precise jump next to the thwomp, which ultimately is pointless to practise as your level doesn't even require it. You put too much space between the spinies for spin jumping too. I'd think some of this is accidental, but then you put a boo tied to a rail directly in the path of a vine, as to make him unavoidable, and then you put an invisible block and a piranha plant right before the flag, so as to kill people for all their hard work. (I did beat it though, so, you're welcome.) You're showing no respect to the player and his/her time with that sort of thing. ‎

Speaking of which, there is too much busywork. Why do I have to get my own trampoline? Why does the part with the shell breaking the bricks, which is mandatory, have to take so long? You have some very sharp ideas here but they're going to waste when you make things so hard on the player. Please don't get discouraged. There's the pieces of a brilliant level here. But you need to playtest the hell out of the next level you make, I'll say that for sure. ‎

‎
‎I'll occasionally check to see who has played my levels, but aside from that no more mario maker hahaha. I'll re post my levels one more time. I would really like to hear more criticism for my 2 most recent levels. :p

3rd Level
Kickin' Koopas 
(supposed to be much easier than all my other levels, but I guess I failed somewhere, any ideas?)
D3F0-0000-0035-5897

I really liked this but there are two issues. One is that the big koopas are almost required to beat this, and if you smack them with another shell, they die and don't regenerate. The other is that if you don't get through to the end on the P block puzzle, the level almost unwinnable -- you can easily grab those coins, especially with the big koopa shell, and have no way to the end. That kinda thing is best saved for bonus stuff, or levels where you succeed in that or die. That aside, really good! It's OK if people find it hard if it's balanced! ‎
‎
Just got the game yesterday and just now finished my first course! It's just my attempt at a fairly simple classic-style Mario level. Give it a try and let me know what you think! 

WVW69iZPKC8flqVF_m

(775B-0000-0044-9C75)

Good, but maybe a little simple. It probably needs somewhere added where someone could conceivably die! I wouldn't have the level go so up-to-down like that with no reason as it just makes the jumps blind. If you're confident in it, I say submit it for the 1-1 challenge, maybe after a few tune-ups.‎

WVW69iZP-HM9huwSLt

It is called "Don't Get P'd On!"
Course ID: CE60 0000 0044 E651

As usual, any feedback is welcome!

Really fun twist on the normal formula. Good payoff in the late stretch. A bit short though. You really shouldn't have put the koopa in as you can use to shell to skip a lot of the stage.‎

I tried to mix in ground segments with some over air platforming with this one. There's a small underground area too.

SMB ☆-2
(2A9D-0000-0045-7246)
WVW69iZQslMws0Aw6R

Mendoza

Just thought I'd post my levels. Most of them are moderately tough. Give feedback if you'd like, I'd appreciate it. Will go through levels before me and check them out.

87B0-0000-003B-330B - Super Meat Boy
Homage to super meat boy level design, fast and saws (hard)

7872-0000-0039-1D91 - The Long Haul
Very hard. 1 block jumps. Long. Instant death

Both of your levels are a little haphazardly thrown together. It's not a big deal, but aesthetics make levels more appealing to the eye.

Another thing is that the difficulty doesn't ramp up in a cohesive way.
For example, in The Long Hall, you can have two block platforms or something of that nature for the first half to set the pacing, then you can start to do the one block platforms towards the end. It eases players in as opposed to just crushing them at the start. More players will try to make it to the end if you give them a sense of progression.

Super Meat Boy was pretty fun. You had some pretty tricky and clever jumps, but I suggest that you have a break in between the level where the player can catch their breath and maybe grab another mushroom. Because the saw obstacles start to blur together at the end, adding a break in between will allow the player to master each segment of the level, and give them a frame of reference to which set of obstacles is next.

I did beat both as well.

bounchfx

I feel like we should get a thread of everyone's favorite levels so far. I try looking in the game but it's mainly just a bunch of 'run forward' stuff.

Danielsan

Currently working on a really cool SMB3 ghost house. Can't wait to come home tonight and continue my work on it. I intend to make it my densest level yet. Level architecture, a sense of place, as well as multiple/secret paths will be the main focus of this level. Difficulty will take a slight back seat, but it will still be challenging. I hope to share it with GAF before the weekend.

I was wondering though. How do you copy multiple level objects at once? I've read the manual and it says that you can hold the copy triggers and than trace to select, but it doesn't seem to work out for me. Any help would be much appreciated.

Varaladis

Both of your levels are a little haphazardly thrown together. It's not a big deal, but aesthetics make levels more appealing to the eye.

Another thing is that the difficulty doesn't ramp up in a cohesive way.
For example, in The Long Hall, you can have two block platforms or something of that nature for the first half to set the pacing, then you can start to do the one block platforms towards the end. It eases players in as opposed to just crushing them at the start. More players will try to make it to the end if you give them a sense of progression.

Super Meat Boy was pretty fun. You had some pretty tricky and clever jumps, but I suggest that you have a break in between the level where the player can catch their breath and maybe grab another mushroom. Because the saw obstacles start to blur together at the end, adding a break in between will allow the player to master each segment of the level, and give them a frame of reference to which set of obstacles is next.

I did beat both as well.

Thanks for the feedback. The Long Haul was the first level I made and it was pretty quickly thrown together, so I agree with you there. I plan to go back and make it better, but after I get better at it. I find it hard not to go overboard with difficulty, but I think I'm getting better.
As far as meat boy, I tried to emulate the feel of that game which is why it's constant action, and originally I wanted no mushroom. That was just too hard though. Thanks for the input though, I'll keep it in mind going forward

Hasney

I feel like we should get a thread of everyone's favorite levels so far. I try looking in the game but it's mainly just a bunch of 'run forward' stuff.

That got shut down and we were told to use the OT.

It's tough making a stage that's easy, yet not boring. Hopefully I've found an okay balance.

I see this posted a lot and I find the opposite to be true. I mean, it's easy to make hard levels in it, but I find it much harder to make a hard level that actually feels like it belongs in a Mario game. Going to give it a shot soon though!

Zomba13

Some of my levels. Two autoplaying ones and two real ones.

WVW69iYHClcrlJJq1b

Autoplay-Dont move (F784-0000-001E-D2EF)

WVW69iY1exMCEDTAOZ

(DONT MOVE) Another Autoplay (CC8D-0000-0039-AF9C)

WVW69iZBYrgd6ssJwz

Mushroom Hills (5D00-0000-003F-1B26)

WVW69iZQwwEuJr3SRp

I squid, I kid, I squid again! (4A9D-0000-0045-47FE)

octopiggy

I get so excited waking up/coming home from work and checking how many people played, starred and commented on my levels.

I got nearly 100 stars in the last 24 hours. Definitely my biggest haul yet. And I didn't upload a level yesterday.

Hasney

I get so excited waking up/coming home from work and checking how many people played, starred and commented on my levels.

I got nearly 100 stars in the last 24 hours. Definitely my biggest haul yet. And I didn't upload a level yesterday.

Yeah, that SMW ghost house level you did seems to be doing the rounds and for good reason.

I assume that the more stars a level has, the more times they'll be presented in 100 Mario?

Nohar

Yeah, that SMW ghost house level you did seems to be doing the rounds and for good reason.

I assume that the more stars a level has, the more times they'll be presented in 100 Mario?

It seems the formula is kinda weird. From what I gathered: the levels with the highest completion rate are more often featured in the Easy-100 Mario Challenge. The levels with the lowest completion rate are more often featured in the Expert-100 Mario Challenge (thus explaining why all the kaizo and barely playable levels are there). No idea how the Normal challenge picks the levels.

I want to like this game but I just don't have the patience to make stages, and I had a 100 challenge crash on me first time I played, discouraging
tears.gif

I guess when I'm bored of diablo I'll really get into it

Hasney

It seems the formula is kinda weird. From what I gathered: the levels with the highest completion rate are more often featured in the Easy-100 Mario Challenge. The levels with the lowest completion rate are more often featured in the Expert-100 Mario Challenge (thus explaining why all the kaizo and barely playable levels are there). No idea how the Normal challenge picks the levels.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm sure stars is taken into account somehow, but new levels are often served up as well. Wonder if it's a star to player ratio as well.

Guess you've got to get some people to play your stage first though so it can sort it into difficulty.

So do voice clips have any impact on your online presence? Seems like people could curse using it. I'm not, but if having a voice clip lowers your online presence I'll remove mine.

qko

Millstone Mayhem! (First try mimicking another game, if the pic and name doesn't give it away...play it and guess!)

ED4F-0000-0045-5221

WVW69iZQ3LAnBK8_GH

Majestad

Banned
If anybody wants to play my first level, here it is:

A Day in the life of Mario

88AD-0000-0045-5640

Done with the first batch of tools you get. I would classify it as easy/normal.

Hasney

Got my 50th star overnight, so thanks to anyone who starred my courses! I know a lot of people here got the ball rolling on some of mine, especially a Very Mario 3 Time! (Cheap plug: 8D6A-0000-0040-D034).

Got so much good feedback about how that one plays, so it's given me some confidence about the 1-1 contest. Shame it's over a month away, but obviously it's good to get people used to the tools. Played some of the 1-1 competition (but not all, saving for the voting time) and I'm not going to have it easy with some of the talent in here!

Schlomo

I made a new course:

WVW69iZLBJEEMthNxR

Treasure of the 99 Dead Pirates

7274-0000-0042-C6D7

The challenge is to find all 99 coins, but I designed it in a way it should hopefully also be fun if you just try to find the exit. It took me about 5 hours to make and fine-tune this.

Let me know what you think! I'll make sure to give your stages a try as well.

Got my 50th star overnight, so thanks to anyone who starred my courses! I know a lot of people here got the ball rolling on some of mine, especially a Very Mario 3 Time! (Cheap plug: 8D6A-0000-0040-D034).

Got so much good feedback about how that one plays, so it's given me some confidence about the 1-1 contest. Shame it's over a month away, but obviously it's good to get people used to the tools. Played some of the 1-1 competition (but not all, saving for the voting time) and I'm not going to have it easy with some of the talent in here!

Month away? I thought the deadline is next week? There was a mistake in the first post about October, but that was corrected to next week wasn't it?

I made a new course:

WVW69iZLBJEEMthNxR

Treasure of the 99 Dead Pirates

7274-0000-0042-C6D7

The challenge is to find all 99 coins, but I designed it in a way it should hopefully also be fun if you just try to find the exit. It took me about 5 hours to make and fine-tune this.

Let me know what you think! I'll make sure to give your stages a try as well.

Good idea, red coins, Yoshi/star coins and halway post are all something that would really add to the adventurous side of the creation.

Zolbrod

Gonna shamelessly plug the stages I made so far too:

Up is up, down is down:
3267-0000-0015-ED2E

地下は危険がいっぱい
(This one's really not very good. At all.)
9D6B-0000-0022-2333

Test your Metal, Man!
(A tribute to Metal Man's stage from MM2)
3E46-0000-002D-D3B9

ハナをさかせるのぢゃ!
(The Secret's in the Nose!)
744C-0000-0036-ACDF

P is for progress...?
08F2-0000-003C-A982

Basic Tutorial
(Troll level)
3845-0000-0041-B296

If you're finding any parts really hard to get through, there's a good chance you're missing a secret route that's much easier.
I like making stages with at least 2 routes: a hard one (lots of enemies and tough platforming), and an easier one that's harder to find (i.e. you need to explore, use your eyes/brain and maybe backtrack a bit sometimes).

hpkomic

Neo Member
So I started a tumblr for all of my courses, and I am going to be doing design posts alongside the levels. For now I went through and re-worked some of my initial batch of stages, adding in bonus rooms and making some changes to avoid any cheap deaths. Overall I feel there is a nice progression of difficulty, but I do feel course 1-4 might be too challenging due to a lack of check points.

Anyway here is the tumblr, but I will post the stages here. Please give them a try!

1-1 Use the Parakoopas 2.0 (3EC2-0000-0045-502F)

Use the Parakoopas to bounce your way across some gaps. It has two secret bonus rooms.

QfRtIwO.jpg

1-2 Piranha Plant Pop 2.0 (6400-0000-0045-50BC)

Avoid the piranha pants that pop out of the pipes. Keep an eye out for two bonus rooms.

lu9Qyva.jpg

1-3 A little help from Yoshi (A6C7-0000-0045-5166)

P-Switches and Yoshi! Yoshi will give you a boost, and he’ll catch up with you later on in the level. What a helpful dinosaur!

dBn6nxW.jpg

1-4 Backsy Forthsy Mansion 2.0 (82C0-0000-0045-5332)

Back and forth in a haunted mansion that puts you just out of reach of places you’ve been prior. Quite a challenging stage! Can you find the hidden door that leads to the back side of the goal?

0GuoaRK.jpg

Top Bottom