• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Inkwell

Banned
My profile:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Simbabbad

My main series:

I'm planning on finishing Third Party Quest eventually, but I'm taking a break from Super Mario Maker. The fact players don't really leave much comments or stars any more compared to the first months isn't very encouraging...

I played through your Metroid levels and they were fantastic! I forgot to star 1 or 2 of the levels, so sorry about that. I was just too excited to move on to the next levels in the series. Seriously though, awesome looking and clever levels!

Bladelaw

I played Ghost House Assault and Escape the Room.

Ghost House Assault is one of those levels where it's tough but every mistake is the player's fault. Lots of clever use of powerups and a fair checkpoint meant I wanted to finish it. Also got the world record!

Escape the room really puzzled me. The room with the clown car was the hardest for me to figure out. I love these kind of levels because the solution is always right there but it's up to the player to figure it out.

KooopaKid

Banned
Feedback time!

Now I have a few levels I'd like to post here for feedback. I have a few more "by the numbers" levels that I'll leave out. If people really want to play them they can check the rest of my levels in game. For these here, they're my "kaizo" levels, though I wouldn't say they're actually all that challenging. I didn't go for aesthetics in these, but I figure that will be the least of the criticism.

Quickly Now!
EF45-0000-011F-A2E1

This is a super fast auto-scroller. I want to know just how difficult people find this level. It seems easy to me, but I made it and mastered it bit by bit as I did so.

No room for mistakes! Beat it in about 15 or 20 tries. Luckily it was short! I think your level is tougher than mine! ;)

Shoes for Days
FED9-0000-0120-F4B4

This one goes from difficult platforming to some puzzle sections. With this one I'm more curious about how obvious it is to find out where to go or what to do. I did my best to make it so you can't get stuck anywhere either.

I manage to go until after the puzzle with the big red shoe but then died not knowing what to do, tried another time but didn't want to redo the first puzzle after the flag.
Your level is a little bland looking BTW.

I came across a (admittedly esoteric) error in my level and decided to fix it before it got much attention. So here's the new upload of All Aboard the Wiggle-mobile! (Click the picture for the link!)

You'll have to update any old bookmarks. Sorry for the inconvenience, I never ever do this.

Managed to beat it in 4 tries. Quite tough but fair. The other way down the pipe is way harder though so why bother?

The latest Super Mario Planets levels can be found here:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/F061-0000-0125-3206

F061-0000-0125-3206_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/6417-0000-0104-450B

6417-0000-0104-450B_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BF46-0000-00E6-1C99

BF46-0000-00E6-1C99_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/8C82-0000-00D8-5AD8

8C82-0000-00D8-5AD8_full.jpg

Inkwell

Banned
Feedback time!

No room for mistakes! Beat it in about 15 or 20 tries. Luckily it was short! I think your level is tougher than mine! ;)

Well I'm glad someone finished it. I'm stepping away from really difficult levels for a while, but I'm worried I won't get any stars. I have 2 levels that are somewhat standard that haven't got much attention.

I manage to go until after the puzzle with the big red shoe but then died not knowing what to do, tried another time but didn't want to redo the first puzzle after the flag.
Your level is a little bland looking BTW.

More like a lot bland looking. I kind of rushed it out. Also, after you break through the blocks, you just jump to the right and have to leap out of the shoe to cross the gap. I just checked now and realized I didn't place any indicator to do that.

That leads me to a question. I'm still quite new with all of this, but how does editing an uploaded level work? Do I have to delete it and re-upload it as a new level?

Played through all of these and had fun, but my favorite was 2-3. That was some tough but really fun and rewarding platforming.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bookmarks are great. So much easier to play levels from this thread now.

Also funny to keep getting the world record simply because I was the first post update to play a level.

CrisKre

Will leave a couple more levels for you guys to book.ark if they catch your eye:

Ruins of the Thousand Flames
7167-0000-00F9-844B_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/7167-0000-00F9-844B

You cant save Peach drunk Mario!
B48B-0000-00E1-CBD7_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/B48B-0000-00E1-CBD7

Temple of the Thousand Mirrors
9531-0000-00D9-AE16_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/9531-0000-00D9-AE16

Deep Steep Forgotten Mines! REDUX
0957-0000-00DD-73A7_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/0957-0000-00DD-73A7

jholmes

Wow, great update, although struggling with the tags for my levels - where the hell is good to honest 'platforming'?

Straight Mario-esque levels should be speedrunnable so perhaps use the speedrun tag? That's what I do for the most part.

Managed to beat it in 4 tries. Quite tough but fair. The other way down the pipe is way harder though so why bother?

Interestingly enough, when testing the level I never once died in the subarea. So I suppose there are people who are good enough at the bouncing but not great and dealing with enemies who might prefer that route.

Of course, there's also
the pile of coins and 1-up
, but I presume you mean why bother other than that.

Simbabbad

Just wanna throw support to these levels for anyine passing by. Shit is fantastic.
I played through your Metroid levels and they were fantastic! I forgot to star 1 or 2 of the levels, so sorry about that. I was just too excited to move on to the next levels in the series. Seriously though, awesome looking and clever levels!
Many thanks, that's very much appreciated!

Stars cost nothing though. If a level was fun to play and I dont feel pissed offat the end I give it stars now.
Same here, if I had fun, I give a star, regardless of anything else.

People, for whatever reason, have always been super stingy with stars.
No, it's really gotten worse. I updated several levels, my Metroid Resurgence series in particular, and each time I could see the stars/visits ratio was getting worse and worse as time passed, even though the levels got better. It's even worse with comments, they're extremely rare now vs. two months ago, even regardless of people you can attract through message boards. I guess the initial audience was the enthusiast one, whereas people playing now care a lot less. It makes me a bit sad to have lost my initial comments and statistics through updates, even though I was taking remarks into account and tried to improve things.

Oh, well...

Straight Mario-esque levels should be speedrunnable so perhaps use the speedrun tag? That's what I do for the most part.

I label all my traditional levels as dash. If they are traditionl but themed like ice lava etc I call it theme. That's about all I got haha. Traditional would have helped but I don't mind the tags as is.
No, it's really gotten worse. I updated several levels, my Metroid Resurgence series in particular, and each time I could see the stars/visits ratio was getting worse and worse as time passed, even though the levels got better. It's even worse with comments, they're extremely rare now vs. two months ago, even regardless of people you can attract through message boards. I guess the initial audience was the enthusiast one, whereas people playing now care a lot less. It makes me a bit sad to have lost my initial comments and statistics through updates, even though I was taking remarks into account and tried to improve things.

Oh, well...

Main reason I left my courses uploaded as is. I might upload a checkpoint version of one or two but tbh I just have accepted it for what it is :(

I do wish people would star more, its easy.

This new update is amazing, makes playing levels beyond easy. What was tedious with inputing codes I can now whip through in 30 secs.

Do I have to link to twitter to get the fancy plaque made? I liike keeping my twitter game free.

Wow, great update, although struggling with the tags for my levels - where the hell is good to honest 'platforming'?

I've got a lot of levels graded as Super Expert but feel this should be reserved for Kaizo-esque levels which mine really are not. I'll link my two most recent levels, feel free to give them a try (and set a new record!)

Ghost House Assault
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/FC5B-0000-011A-771B
FC5B-0000-011A-771B_full.jpg

Double-crosser Jnr
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/DB52-0000-0100-11D9
DB52-0000-0100-11D9_full.jpg

I played both of your levels. So I have to add before constructive criticism, I don't think you recognize how hard your levels are. Both of those levels have some almost troll level challenges in there that make it way more difficult to complete. I think they both belong in super expert actually.

I didn't beat Double Crosser Jr because after that door the thwomp with the music blocks literally made me yell "what the fuck man". There is so much shit that cn kill you in that first section it's not even funny. Its super punishing. For instance, why exactly does the big fireball at the last plant before the muncher need to go all the way through the floor? Why are the platforms the pirahna plants are floating on so close together? Stuff like that just insta raise the difficulty of your levels times 3 for no actual benefit for the player. If you want your levels to be completed by more people you do need to tone down the difficulty significantly.

As for Ghost House Assault its easier than Double crosser but there is still some just mean stuff in there. Like the floor being donut blocks out of the first door or putting the mushroom in a single block over a bottomless pit that requires wall jumping to get. That's just mean spirited honestly, the level of difficulty to just get the mushroom exceeds the bother. If you are going to give items, I don't feel like you need to make the player work that hard to get it. I did beat it though, I am the record holder currently.

I starred both because the ideas themselves were fine but the difficulty needs to be toned down or refined to remove some of the excess trial and error.

Thanks to bokmarks I've played pretty much every level on the last three pages. Thank you based nintendo. As a side note World Records are amazing. Some dude beat a level I osted in 20.992 seconds. I didn't even think that was possible I'm currently trying to figure out how he did it.

Mael

Woah, it's actually very easy now to share level, like even easier!
My profile
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/mael64

With the new update I was thinking of remaking a level I did (and didn't post because life got in the way), nearly done.
It's incredibly easy to find levels made by people in your friendlist now!
None of my levels are above expert but none are easier than normal which is weird.

My last 2 levels :

Thwomp's burning mansion : D372-0000-0109-26C6
D372-0000-0109-26C6_full.jpg

Fire in the hole : 688B-0000-0104-12C8
688B-0000-0104-12C8_full.jpg

Fire in the hole is somehow a normal level for some reasons...

time to bookmark you people.

Ranger X

Ok so here's an update of my skull ride level thanks to people's feedback.

- Tweaked the jumps and space given to the player at mutiple places.
- Made the underwater section a tad easier.
- Added ALOT of beautiful.

NOW THAT'S A SKULL RIDE
4C9C-0000-0128-2526
Bookmark this!!
4C9C-0000-0128-2526_full.jpg

WVW69ir5IWcmkiejm2

WVW69ir5C1c1mUGsNZ

WVW69ir5pboNoA-VCo

Have fun! Any feedback appreciated!

Bydobob

I played Ghost House Assault and Escape the Room.

Ghost House Assault is one of those levels where it's tough but every mistake is the player's fault. Lots of clever use of powerups and a fair checkpoint meant I wanted to finish it. Also got the world record!

Thanks buddy, and pleased to read the bolded because it's absolutely my aim.

I played both of your levels. So I have to add before constructive criticism, I don't think you recognize how hard your levels are. Both of those levels have some almost troll level challenges in there that make it way more difficult to complete. I think they both belong in super expert actually.

I didn't beat Double Crosser Jr because after that door the thwomp with the music blocks literally made me yell "what the fuck man". There is so much shit that cn kill you in that first section it's not even funny. Its super punishing. For instance, why exactly does the big fireball at the last plant before the muncher need to go all the way through the floor? Why are the platforms the pirahna plants are floating on so close together? Stuff like that just insta raise the difficulty of your levels times 3 for no actual benefit for the player. If you want your levels to be completed by more people you do need to tone down the difficulty significantly.

As for Ghost House Assault its easier than Double crosser but there is still some just mean stuff in there. Like the floor being donut blocks out of the first door or putting the mushroom in a single block over a bottomless pit that requires wall jumping to get. That's just mean spirited honestly, the level of difficulty to just get the mushroom exceeds the bother. If you are going to give items, I don't feel like you need to make the player work that hard to get it. I did beat it though, I am the record holder currently.

I starred both because the ideas themselves were fine but the difficulty needs to be toned down or refined to remove some of the excess trial and error.

Pretty harsh words and might I say pretty wide of the mark. You seem to misunderstand my motivation for these levels by coming out with words like "troll" and "mean spirited". I'm only making levels that I myself enjoy! One man's pleasure is another man's poison as they say. Thanks for playing all the same.

Inkwell

Banned
Ok so here's an update of my skull ride level thanks to people's feedback.

- Tweaked the jumps and space given to the player at mutiple places.
- Made the underwater section a tad easier.
- Added ALOT of beautiful.

NOW THAT'S A SKULL RIDE
4C9C-0000-0128-2526
Bookmark this!!
4C9C-0000-0128-2526_full.jpg

WVW69ir5IWcmkiejm2

WVW69ir5C1c1mUGsNZ

WVW69ir5pboNoA-VCo

Have fun! Any feedback appreciated!

I just played it and it seemed to go smoother overall. I skipped the water section though. I jumped into the exit pipe and got the checkpoint.

Pretty harsh words and might I say pretty wide of the mark. You seem to misunderstand my motivation for these levels by coming out with words like "troll" and "mean spirited". I'm only making levels that I myself enjoy! One man's pleasure is another man's poison as they say. Thanks for playing all the same.

Well my assumption is anyone who posts here is trying to make levels that are enjoyable. But you said you didn't feel the levels were super expert level and I'm saying playing them, its pretty much the definition of levels that would get sorted in there. I think there are certain elements in your levels that drive up the difficulty more than intended. If you disagree its fine but I'm just giving you a fresh perspective.

Dimentios

I came across a (admittedly esoteric) error in my level and decided to fix it before it got much attention.

I played it before the fix. What did you change?
Btw. I liked the challenge but...

KooopaKid said:

..THIS. Looked like a bonus room, but was tough as hell.

jholmes

I played it before the fix. What did you change?

The name. I woke up this morning and the first thing I thought when I opened my eyes was that I didn't give it the name I meant to. It just killed me. You were the only one to play it worth a damn, two Japanese guys half-assed a playthrough and gave up, so I figured I might as well bite the bullet and put up an update. Consider yourself the holder of a unique and very meaningless accomplishment!

Btw. I liked the challenge but...

..THIS. Looked like a bonus room, but was tough as hell.

SO. I figured someone might try to get into that room, take a look at what was going on and say, no, fuck this, get me out. Because of that, if you go back into the pipe, it'll spit you out just ahead of the checkpoint.

Jacqli

Gaffeeeeers, I do not know what to do with this game because ever time I see something related to it, I have the urge of buying it.
I watched some videos and thought that it seemed very enjoyable and funny. A month ago, I could try it out with some friends and we had a great time. Also, I would play it from time to time and this game is perfect for that matter. But I think there is still a lot of content missing and I do not know if they are going to add more or what is going to happen…

And there is also Xenoblade, Pikmin 3, Smash, Captain Toad, Mario Kart, Yoshi, Kirby, The Wonderful 101… that I haven't bought (yet) and perhaps I would like them better or I do not know. :(

Bydobob

Well my assumption is anyone who posts here is trying to make levels that are enjoyable. But you said you didn't feel the levels were super expert level and I'm saying playing them, its pretty much the definition of levels that would get sorted in there. I think there are certain elements in your levels that drive up the difficulty more than intended. If you disagree its fine but I'm just giving you a fresh perspective.

That's the point isn't it though, some people do find them enjoyable. You seem to have a low tolerance of failure and see trolling where others see smart design. Try playing a kaizo level and report back. Our interpretation of Super Expert and fairness is clearly different.

That's the point isn't it though, some people do find them enjoyable. You seem to have a low tolerance of failure and see trolling where others see smart design. Try playing a kaizo level and report back. Our interpretation of Super Expert and fairness is clearly different.

I never implied people didn't enjoy them. I played your level and answered with examples why your stuff is most likely being sorted into super expert. I dunno why your conclusion is I have a low tolerance for failure considering I beat Ghost House Assualt and have the fastest completion time thus far. Pretty much every difficult level in this thread I tried I have completed. This isn't really an issue of me lacking skill or misinterpreting.

It's fine if you disagree with me but you posted levels for play and feedback and I gave you honest feedback. It's obviously take it or leave it but if all your levels are constantly being shuffled into the highest difficulty and you don't know why, I don't really see why you wouldn't acknowledge the one dissenting opinion that may better explain explain that. Your choice though, I don't care either way.

Thud

Gaffeeeeers, I do not know what to do with this game because ever time I see something related to it, I have the urge of buying it.
I watched some videos and thought that it seemed very enjoyable and funny. A month ago, I could try it out with some friends and we had a great time. Also, I would play it from time to time and this game is perfect for that matter. But I think there is still a lot of content missing and I do not know if they are going to add more or what is going to happen…

And there is also Xenoblade, Pikmin 3, Smash, Captain Toad, Mario Kart, Yoshi, Kirby, The Wonderful 101… that I haven't bought (yet) and perhaps I would like them better or I do not know. :(

Well the momentum of Mario Maker has slowed down, but there are still people making levels daily. With the website up and running finding cool levels should be a whole lot easier. There is a lot to play. Designing is much harder and isn't for everyone. In the long run you may get bored of it. Even I took a long break from it :p.

Just jumped in after months of being not sure. I'm really glad the bookmark website is there, because my first couple of plays I was really struggling to find decent levels and pretty much hating it. I've gone through the last page or two and bookmarked a few. Excited to give them a go.

Bydobob

I never implied people didn't enjoy them. I played your level and answered with examples why your stuff is most likely being sorted into super expert. I dunno why your conclusion is I have a low tolerance for failure considering I beat Ghost House Assualt and have the fastest completion time thus far. Pretty much every difficult level in this thread I tried I have completed. This isn't really an issue of me lacking skill or misinterpreting.

It's fine if you disagree with me but you posted levels for play and feedback and I gave you honest feedback. It's obviously take it or leave it but if all your levels are constantly being shuffled into the highest difficulty and you don't know why, I don't really see why you wouldn't acknowledge the one dissenting opinion that may better explain explain that. Your choice though, I don't care either way.

You misunderstood me. I'm disagreeing with Nintendo's categorisation of levels. For me there is a clear difficulty tier above my levels and I'd rather not have my levels lumped in with the uber hard stuff that take 100 lives to complete. It gives a false impression. I never said my levels weren't tough or expert.

So I've played 3 levels from my bookmarks this morning and they've all been great. Still many to go and I'll post in dribs and drabs.

Played your Sonic level and it was your usual high quality. Good platforming and intelligent use of hazards. The only thing I'd say is you went for the Sonic theme and didn't really play to it until the end with that speed section, which was brilliant but all too short.

I tried making a fun puzzle level. I took a little inspiration from those escape the room games, though it's kind of difficult to translate that into a Mario level. I did my best to remove any exploits, ways to cheat, or places to get stuck (you can technically still get stuck almost everywhere and I'm not sure how to fix it). I put so much time into this level and it almost doesn't seem worth it. I really feel for professional level designers. Anyway, here it is:

Escape the Rooms

After all that work, I just realized that the Ghost House theme would have been a way better fit :( . Oh well, maybe I'll make another one if they add some more items that are better suited for puzzles.

Just when you thought you'd seen every idea for a level, another unique take comes along. Brilliant execution. I ran out of time on my first play after the clown car wouldn't follow me, and the P switch music kept looping when I exited a pipe before it was finished. Otherwise a really enjoyable level.

Here's my stages I've got around to updating with checkpoints

Airship Assault
8468-0000-0126-D596_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/8468-0000-0126-D596

Now this is what I'm talking about! Firm but fair challenge and beautiful platforming. You've paid a lot of attention to the enemy timings, making for a really fluid level once you get it nailed down. I enjoyed it so much I played it twice.

Jacqli

Well the momentum of Mario Maker has slowed down, but there are still people making levels daily. With the website up and running finding cool levels should be a whole lot easier. There is a lot to play. Designing is much harder and isn't for everyone. In the long run you may get bored of it. Even I took a long break from it :p.

Yeah, I do not think I wll be designing much, it takes a lot of time to do it right. But I like challenges (perhaps not as much as Arino!) and thought that this game has plenty of them. And, on top of that, the price is around 37€ which is not bad at all.

Thank you for your opinion. :) I want to buy a game for Wii u, but it is hard to choose only one.

Inkwell

Banned
Just when you thought you'd seen every idea for a level, another unique take comes along. Brilliant execution. I ran out of time on my first play after the clown car wouldn't follow me, and the P switch music kept looping when I exited a pipe before it was finished. Otherwise a really enjoyable level.

Thanks! Maybe I missed it, but Mario Maker needs an option for unlimited time.

Hey I think I'm having a problem or I'm missing something. I've been trying out the various event courses as I haven't played the game since they launched.

First I had a problem trying to even open the courses but I got that fixed by rebooting my router.

Now when I play the courses I don't see any custom costumes. Like from what I understand playing the Mercedes-Benz course the mystery mushroom should give me a car, but instead I get random one from my unlocked costumes. And when I complete the course I get a notification about unlocking a costume but nothing is actually unlocked, the square stays empty and I don't see anything new in the editor.

So am I doing something wrong, is the game bugged or what's going on?

Bladelaw

I think part of the problem with water levels is movement feels imprecise and too floaty compared to out of water. It's not fun to slow things down in general. I imagine clever use of the tools could make fun water levels but how many people are interested in even trying? I'm not.

Thud

Yeah, I do not think I wll be designing much, it takes a lot of time to do it right. But I like challenges (perhaps not as much as Arino!) and thought that this game has plenty of them. And, on top of that, the price is around 37€ which is not bad at all.

Thank you for your opinion. :) I want to buy a game for Wii u, but it is hard to choose only one.

Well you don't have to choose only one. They're all great games you should eventually get imo.

As for right now idk pick the kind of game you like to play the most.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Let me encourage everyone in this thread to keep posting levels! This is pretty much the only way I play the game now, is GAF levels through this thread. The bookmarking is GAME CHANGING, and so is the check points! This is a 10/10 game for me!

I know others play differently: but I pretty much Star and leave at least one comment on every level that I play. I don't make very much, but I enjoy playing and knowing that my feedback is being read.

Here's my stages I've got around to updating with checkpoints

Airship Assault
8468-0000-0126-D596_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/8468-0000-0126-D596

I couldn't finish your level dude, sorry. I left you a Star and a comment on your level where I got stuck. I think you need another check point just before that part with the P switch and the clown car throwing turtle shells. It was too frustrating to have to back track back to that point over and over again, I gave up.

I'll try your other stuff later though!

Thud

Let me encourage everyone in this thread to keep posting levels! This is pretty much the only way I play the game now, is GAF levels through this thread. The bookmarking is GAME CHANGING, and so is the check points! This is a 10/10 game for me!

I know others play differently: but I pretty much Star and leave at least one comment on every level that I play. I don't make very much, but I enjoy playing and knowing that my feedback is being read.

Well, here's my profile.

My personal favorites:

Zero Escape: Yoshi's Last Reward

BF58-0000-00E2-1CF4_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BF58-0000-00E2-1CF4

Bowser's Castle 64

4DE0-0000-004B-3A7D_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/4DE0-0000-004B-3A7D

Dark Side of the Goomba (Remix)

5F65-0000-0060-8B3E_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/5F65-0000-0060-8B3E

I already have a few stages bookmarked, probably gonna play around Christmas :)

Bladelaw

Do people prefer Miiverse comments or replies here? I don't usually have a device I can post to nearby when I'm on the Wii U so I leave my comments on the stage itself most of the time. If you ever see a Miiverse post signed /GAF odds are good it's me and I didn't want to forget to comment.

Top Bottom