• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Thanks, if you have to try 1 level it would be
Thwomp's burning mansion
D372-0000-0109-26C6

Finally got around to this, wow, excellent job! Very original stage. Good job of pushing the player into using their brain and their reflexes right away so they know that they have to chain their spin jumps if they want to survive. As for the rest of the stage, I'm impressed with how much variety there is with all the different options and routes the player is offered as to where they can go. I definitely plan on playing through it again so I can try to find the extra paths I missed. Btw, I managed to keep the cape past the second to last room (based on the path I took anyways) with spinning Boos suspended above the Thwomps. Since I still had the cape, I took the final "Hard" room but I managed to "cheat" by flying over it. Heh heh :D

That's cool but it'd be a crime if the Sky Pop costume doesn't also have the option of being enabled with the Fire Clown Car's abilities so that the upcoming SML shmup remake stages could be even more authentic once the 12/22 update is out. I love the costumes but they're just skins which gets old after awhile. I want actual power ups added, especially Tanooki, Hammer and Squirrel Mario. The Frog Mario skin was actually disappointing to see and makes me pessimistic for the chances of getting additional power ups.

I'm a couple of stars away from getting some additional upload slots (in addition to the ten I have now) but I'm just not getting enough plays!

Here's a course no-one has beat yet for example

Bowsers Castle 200cc
BABE-0000-0101-AC6E

It's a Mario Kart-level!

So try if you have the time and drop a star if you enjoy it enough!

Finally played your stage, very good, challenging little castle stage with smart placement of conveyor belt platforms. You might want to fix the checkpoint flag above the lava raft a bit though because as Mael pointed out in his Miiverse comment, it's impossible to get the Mystery Mushroom when you respawn there. Otherwise, good work.

Mael

3 days till the update...
Do I release the levels I have in progress or should I wait?
I'll probably release the rodeo level by tomorrow, old level made from before the checkpoint update.
It's probably a bit more straightforward than what I'm used to make nowadays...

Finally got around to this, wow, excellent job! Very original stage. Good job of pushing the player into using their brain and their reflexes right away so they know that they have to chain their spin jumps if they want to survive. As for the rest of the stage, I'm impressed with how much variety there is with all the different options and routes the player is offered as to where they can go. I definitely plan on playing through it again so I can try to find the extra paths I missed. Btw, I managed to keep the cape past the second to last room (based on the path I took anyways) with spinning Boos suspended above the Thwomps. Since I still had the cape, I took the final "Hard" room but I managed to "cheat" by flying over it. Heh heh :D

Thanks, I based my level on the idea of a training course for the spin attack.
It's obviously more of a expert course for someone who already mastered it but still...
The Thwomp+Boo challenge was a challenge to not make it an impossible death trap.
I had a problem balancing the level, I feel like there's a checkpoint missing but I found a workaround (that you should know how to use since you went through Hard path).
The cape at the end is not something I anticipated but I feel like it's better this way, there should be a way to bypass that challenge if you're smart enough (or lucky enough) to get how cheese it.
Thanks for the feedback!

Btw I retried Babysitting Bobombs, the checkpoint position is really the hardest part to evaluate I feel.
still it was good level before, it still is.
Had a chance to work on some new levels today!

Castle Multi Challenge
ID: 7ADA-0000-0121-CB63
Difficulty: 4/5
Description: This one is a series of room challenges & enemies to avoid in the corridors/shafts between them.

The start is a bit obtuse,
there's 2 ways to progress after the 1rst switch but no passage is readily obvious, less inquiring players would be lost (then again it should be already too hard for that type of player anyway so it's more a nitpick).
Once it gets rolling though it never really stop although I would say that the challenge after the 1rst part is easier than what was before (or I was lucky IDK).
Good fun level!

Title: Mario's Great Escape
ID: FE40-0000-0121-D543
Difficulty: 3/5
Description: I used Raiders of the Lost Ark as inspiration for this one. Be mindful of your surroundings, and the timing for the opening sprint is critical.

Hope you enjoy!

The dash part is usually something I hate but here you have ample time to react before all hell break lose and while I wouldn't depend on the falling stuff at the beginning to avoid death, it's actually very tense and fun! Kudos, I can't tell you how many level I played where they tried to do what you succeeded and failed miserably.
The 2nd part is a bit random in how you have to avoid death from above, you don't have much visibility so it can be a bit unfair.
A bit short but really fast level, it's the kind of level you manage to avoid using autoscrolling when it could have used it without a problem I feel.
I liked it.

Mael

Okay...with a name like that I'll bite. I gotta know what you've done here...
EDIT: Boooooooooooooooo...

Here. Play this one.

BOUNCE TOWN
d6f9-0000-0121-20a2
Very fun with basic elements made challenging and fun.
Seriously kudos with the level
My level has a clear rate of 0.0% ;_;

I guess it's not very good.

Can someone give it a shot?

so1aDN1.jpg
I could help but there's no code so it's not like I can try :/
Thank god for miiverse :
87AE-0000-011E-3306
e: A puzzle level, nice idea if a little short

Good level, always fun knocking down those crazy towers! A fair, consistent challenge too and it doesn't outstay its welcome. There is more you could have done with the Goombas if you wanted to. They can be kicked along the ground as you're walking, and can be thrown upwards. Throwing Goombas up at spinning blocks and question blocks also activates them, giving you even more opportunities. (I have a bit of SMW Goomba history myself - 'Goombas Play ball' E4D7-0000-00D8-AB57)

2 apparent glitches here. First, going through doors without pressing up, and second, the invisible doors. First appears to be achieved by placing spikes over doors on rails. The second might be achieved by simply placing background tile over the door, but haven’t tried yet myself. Great level anyway!

Can someone please play my latest Ghost House Assault level FC5B-0000-011A-771B. Since reuploading for the 2nd time it's hit the tumbleweed and is destined for deletion at this rate!

I don't know why but I found it harder this time around in places where you have changed nothing...I'm slipping I guess.

Hey all. After a 2 month break I made another course. I spent about 6 hours on it. Hope you all enjoy. Criticsm is greatly encouraged.

Totem Tower Baddy Road
0B3C-0000-00FB-6ABE
EjLkdq3.jpg

Very fun stage to play, not too short or too long.
there's a troll passage and I'm sure there a secret passage I didn't try to get.
Careful about the checkpoint because it can be a bit daunting depending on where you put it.
Another one wouldn't be too much.

Asq5OWx.png

My friend chipped away at making this level over the course of many weeks with the hopes of making a level that is practically impossible to solve. I was able to beat it, but I'm curious to know if anyone without any knowledge of the level would be capable of doing the same without downloading it and looking up the solution.

There's no complex platforming, and very little risk of actually dying, but it might test your patience a great deal.

Fitting name I'd say,
I started to see a pattern but very rewarding!

Zubz

Banned
I don't have any new stages to post (I'm working on one, but I don't think people want to play "Mario 3 stage based around collecting power-ups in order #1,194,876" that badly), but I'm more curious about Gnat Attack on Hard Mode.

Question 1.) Since when did Satan work for Nintendo?

Question 2.) Any tips on beating it? I saw a guide from Reddit, which showed that players even developed meta techniques because of how impossible Hard Mode is (Reddit's not a banned site, is it?), but I'm still having trouble. I couldn't even beat it on Normal without wasting an hour on it!

Question 3.) The Boss Gnat doesn't have a costume, do they? Please tell me they're not planning on adding another version of Gnat Attack to unlock that. This isn't asking for help so much as reassurance.

Dimentios

I don't have any new stages to post (I'm working on one, but I don't think people want to play "Mario 3 stage based around collecting power-ups in order #1,194,876" that badly), but I'm more curious about Gnat Attack on Hard Mode.

Question 2.) Any tips on beating it? I saw a guide from Reddit, which showed that players even developed meta techniques because of how impossible Hard Mode is (Reddit's not a banned site, is it?), but I'm still having trouble. I couldn't even beat it on Normal without wasting an hour on it!

Question 3.) The Boss Gnat doesn't have a costume, do they? Please tell me they're not planning on adding another version of Gnat Attack to unlock that. This isn't asking for help so much as reassurance.

1.) Since SMB: The Lost levels.

2.)

1. Level - No real strategy there. Bomb flys have priority 1, so focus on them first.

2. Level - The hardest stage. Spawner-fly goes always first. I don't care how many bomb flys explode while hunting the spawner down, if they spawn those little flys you're fucked. Srsly, you will not beat that level, if they are able to spawn them.

Also the spawner moves either vertically or horizontically from the border into the screen. So don't tap where they currently are, but where they will moving to.

3. Level - You know how to beat the A-Trigger Minigames in Mario Party? That seizure-like gestures is needed to kill the boss. Just always focus on triggering the boss to death, occasionally hit a bomb fly, but keep focusing on the boss. If the boss triggers those little flys (like the spawner) then quickly kill them and then keep hitting the boss again.

Also:
explorer-controls-stylus.png

That's the way the gamepad is used normaly. However, while doing so in the gnat attack game, the bottom right of the screen is a complete BLIND SPOT. Or if you're lefty, the bottom left will be a blind spot. This is dangerous if a spawner spawns in that area. You will see him too late. I recommend holding the stylus on the very top. Also don't hold the gamepad, but use something to keep it standing on it's own.

3.) No, but time will tell.

jholmes

Dimentios covered the strategy but I just want to add that it is in fact incredible difficult, even if you use the home button exploit to freeze the stage. I did that and it still took me two hours to beat. My only additional piece of advice is if you do use the home button exploit, don't hit the home button when attacking the boss in Stage 3. Only use it in Stage 3 when you have to clear off bombs or small gnats when the bosses aren't on screen.

The Gnat game is rediculous, gave up on it a long time ago, and I'm definitely no lightweight when it comes to over the top arcade difficulty.

A couple of relatives are coming over to play the game with me. They don't own a Wii U but they can't get enough Mario Maker, especially challenge mode, talk about a shining flagship title for the system.

RagnarokX

According to some posts on reddit (such as this one), even after the fix Nintendo ran a script that automatically deleted any level using that particular bit.
That's idiotic. Not every course that had them A) used them extensively or B) was unplayable after the fix. They should have ran a script that automatically deleted every course that used the glitch AND had not been completed since the fix.

Just played this stage, nice work, really enjoyed it. Congrats on getting it played on GameCenterCX. Classic feel with balanced difficulty, smart progression with the various platform sections (I like how each section seems to have its own platform "flavor"), and good job on the spin jump tutorial bit with the Spinies. Would love to hear feedback from you on a stage of mine if you have time.

Hey guys, a short question about miiverse:
If someone uses the comment feature from within a level, it adds a comment to your miiverse post. But if they ask a question in it, there is no way to answer them directly, right?
I could post another comment to the level post, but they wouldn't be notified because you can't answer specific comments, only posts, can you?

So what do you do in cases like these. Just post the answer anyway, maybe as aid for future players with the same problem?

Ranger X

Ok so I carefully made a new level. Its rare I find great "ride" levels, you know levels like the carts in Donkey Kong Country. Now I made a level focusing on that and it gave some DKC vibes. Its fast, reflex based, and certainly not for novice players. Its super fair though, you suck you die, you pro you win. Have a shot! there's a couple of secret to fing along the way too. :)

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

NOW THAT'S A SKULL RIDE !
9538-0000-0123-D5C6

WVW69iraRDUh1ChiNe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------ Here are some older levels I made that I think are good --------------

The Puzzling Golden Vessel (v3)
990F-0000-00FF-A431

WVW69inBNz0KQrMlJE

The Great Tower (ver.3)
6E97-0000-00E5-3BFD

WVW69ikCatk6MognbG

Frozen (ver.3)
13B7-0000-00E3-F141

WVW69ij5JTMid9xkzM

Bydobob

I don't know why but I found it harder this time around in places where you have changed nothing...I'm slipping I guess.

It happens to all of us. I find if I don't complete a level after the first couple tries I start rushing and make silly errors. Thanks for playing through it again.

KooopaKid

Banned
I'm back! Finally completed Planet 2-4 of my Super Mario Planets series. Enjoy!

Code: F061-0000-0125-3206

yOf2FsS.jpg

I will give feedback to anyone playing my level as usual ;)

The server just got done undergoing maintenance but it looks like the update stil isn't up.

Koopa Kid:

I plan on playing at least one of your Planet stages tonight.

As someone who has no interest in creating levels, would I still enjoy this game?
I mostly just play other people's levels. As long as you like playing 2d Mario games you should enjoy just playing this game just fine. I have only made about 5 levels since September but I have played tons of levels from gaf members and many are very talented.

Robin64

Oddly, some people did get the update. Hilariously, it allows them to create courses with new elements, but people on 1.21 still see them as the old elements. Jaku made a course where he bounces on donuts to the goal, but for everyone else they are sawblades.

This was an initial test one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pz-flhTBGM

You can see the correct course in the snapshot.

Oddly, some people did get the update. Hilariously, it allows them to create courses with new elements, but people on 1.21 still see them as the old elements. Jaku made a course where he bounces on donuts to the goal, but for everyone else they are sawblades.

This was an initial test one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pz-flhTBGM

You can see the correct course in the snapshot.

Yeah, odd. I rebooted my system to see if that would help and still no update.

Inkwell

Banned
Ok so I carefully made a new level. Its rare I find great "ride" levels, you know levels like the carts in Donkey Kong Country. Now I made a level focusing on that and it gave some DKC vibes. Its fast, reflex based, and certainly not for novice players. Its super fair though, you suck you die, you pro you win. Have a shot! there's a couple of secret to fing along the way too. :)

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

NOW THAT'S A SKULL RIDE !
9538-0000-0123-D5C6

WVW69iraRDUh1ChiNe

I completed this one a little while ago. It was fun, but that final segment required some pretty tight timing due to tight spaces. I'm not sure if I did it properly, but it felt like i played a bit sloppy. Once you get that 2nd skull coaster going it's smooth sailing until the end.

I'm back! Finally completed Planet 2-4 of my Super Mario Planets series. Enjoy!

Code: F061-0000-0125-3206

yOf2FsS.jpg

I will give feedback to anyone playing my level as usual ;)

Tough but mostly fair and had me raging a little bit. There's was one section about 1/4 of the way through the level where I kept dying, and it wasn't even a particularly challenging part. I always ended up in front of the same cannon and jumped right into a bullet bill. I think the only problematic part was just before the checkpoint. timing felt off to where I couldn't get a clear jump to the conveyor with the checkpoint.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have a few levels I'd like to post here for feedback. I have a few more "by the numbers" levels that I'll leave out. If people really want to play them they can check the rest of my levels in game. For these here, they're my "kaizo" levels, though I wouldn't say they're actually all that challenging. I didn't go for aesthetics in these, but I figure that will be the least of the criticism.

Quickly Now!
EF45-0000-011F-A2E1

This is a super fast auto-scroller. I want to know just how difficult people find this level. It seems easy to me, but I made it and mastered it bit by bit as I did so.

Shoes for Days
FED9-0000-0120-F4B4

This one goes from difficult platforming to some puzzle sections. With this one I'm more curious about how obvious it is to find out where to go or what to do. I did my best to make it so you can't get stuck anywhere either.

Shizza

The dash part is usually something I hate but here you have ample time to react before all hell break lose and while I wouldn't depend on the falling stuff at the beginning to avoid death, it's actually very tense and fun! Kudos, I can't tell you how many level I played where they tried to do what you succeeded and failed miserably.
The 2nd part is a bit random in how you have to avoid death from above, you don't have much visibility so it can be a bit unfair.
A bit short but really fast level, it's the kind of level you manage to avoid using autoscrolling when it could have used it without a problem I feel.
I liked it.

Thanks for the feedback! I've adjusted this one based on your suggestions, and it should reduce the randomness of the 2nd part and play more fairly overall.

Ranger X

Tags are shit. I hope they add more!

Also, I would have life a way to easily promote our levels. I mean right now there's nothing besides twitter and as awesome are the level "cards" and pages, they appear like shit when shared anywhere else than twitter...

jholmes

Aww yeah this is life. Check it out, now I can just link an image to a stage, and voila, you're playing it as soon as you would like:

Indeed.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/

Edit:

Courses seem to habe simple urls: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/C7F1-0000-00E6-01C6

--------------------------------------

So, I don't wanna see your filthy codes anymore. Just gimme the urls. Awwwwwwwww Yeaaaaaaah!

Just bookmarked a bunch while at work for the next time I'm playing, probably to jog my creative juices while I try a new level based on the update.

Just played this stage, nice work, really enjoyed it. Congrats on getting it played on GameCenterCX. Classic feel with balanced difficulty, smart progression with the various platform sections (I like how each section seems to have its own platform "flavor"), and good job on the spin jump tutorial bit with the Spinies. Would love to hear feedback from you on a stage of mine if you have time.

Link me something with this marvellous Bookmark dealie and I'll get to it with the rest!

Link me something with this marvellous Bookmark dealie and I'll get to it with the rest!

Here's a link to my profile:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/CaptainCab

I suggest Babysitting Bobombs if you want your reflexes and your brain tested a bit, others here seem to really be digging the concept on that one. Yoshi's Safe Landing (checkpoint version) or Yoshi's Boo Bustin' Bonanza are good old school choices. I'll check out more of yours soon.

jholmes

Here's my first level with the bouncy rings: All Aboard the Wiggle-mobile! (Click the picture for the link!)

EDIT: I hate to be this guy, but I deleted the original and put up a new link. I only ha one playthrough so I decided to fix this before it got more attention. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Here's a link to my profile:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/CaptainCab

I suggest Babysitting Bobombs if you want your reflexes and your brain tested a bit, others here seem to really be digging the concept on that one. Yoshi's Safe Landing (checkpoint version) or Yoshi's Boo Bustin' Bonanza are good old school choices. I'll check out more of yours soon.

Added the first one on bookmarks, and I'll go from there!

Top Bottom