• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monday Night Combat |OT| Time to let loose with the juice!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You kind of expect patches that add new stages... to be bigger than ones that didn't. No surprise at all, with that!

I kinda miss playing Leo, these new changes sounds pretty solid..

Unicorn

Uh, they added a new map, what exactly did you expect?

The map increasing the size makes sense, but it seems even damage value change patches garner a fat download as well. Larger than they should be. a New Map and a handful of items should not equal a GIG 2 GIGs.

At most it should be about 400mb.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Stats and balance should be run server side. You have to log on to Ubernet every time you play, that shouldn't be a big deal.

As for maps and pros, I don't mind caning a big download every four to six weeks, once a week is just silly.

Did someone in here say something about that being related to the Unreal engine? If so then Epic dun fucked up, son.

H3xum

Is anyone else experiencing a crash while the lobby is loading?

100% of the time starting yesterday, I accept a match, and the game crashes on me.

I'm able to instantly startup SMNC again and it asks me if I want to join my game in progress, I click accept and I'm thrown right into the game.

It's so troublesome

BurningNad

How the heck am I supposed to play Karl? He seems useless. is he only good for weak harassing?
Stun from medium distance > close in while shooting > floaty robot explodey ability I forget the name of > grab should 100% almost everyone if you can pull it off. Add his jump after the grab for more damage.

His bouncing buddies are great for killing bots and harassing. He's not so bad.

Usually I start a game harassing from the jungle but I'm no Karl pro so ymmv.

DarkKyo

Match I just had said:
325B943B746F4B68D4DA3FB99AF79DE3BCFCF233

I love being the bastard of the match.

Wthermans

Banned
Stats and balance should be run server side. You have to log on to Ubernet every time you play, that shouldn't be a big deal.

As for maps and pros, I don't mind caning a big download every four to six weeks, once a week is just silly.

Did someone in here say something about that being related to the Unreal engine? If so then Epic dun fucked up, son.

Uber is blaming it on the UE3 engine. Sadly that argument doesn't hold much water given there are other UE3 games that don't have 1.5GB+ average patch sizes each week.

Is anyone else experiencing a crash while the lobby is loading?

100% of the time starting yesterday, I accept a match, and the game crashes on me.

I'm able to instantly startup SMNC again and it asks me if I want to join my game in progress, I click accept and I'm thrown right into the game.

It's so troublesome

I had this problem as well, had to reinstall the entire game. Lots of players having crashes since RC6.

The map increasing the size makes sense, but it seems even damage value change patches garner a fat download as well. Larger than they should be. a New Map and a handful of items should not equal a GIG 2 GIGs.

At most it should be about 400mb.

It should be a lot smaller, but I guess I don't see the point in complaining about it every week (except on the official forums maybe). They're either going to fix it or not, clearly it isn't fixed this week, so it's not exactly surprising that the filesize grew on a week when they added a bunch of new content.

Uber is blaming it on the UE3 engine. Sadly that argument doesn't hold much water given there are other UE3 games that don't have 1.5GB+ average patch sizes each week.

Yeah, it seems like a weird excuse. I'm not sure how UE3 handles stuff, but all the maps/pros/uniforms/weapons are split into their own files in the game directory, so it seems odd that it needs to redownload so much. I can't imagine what would be changing in all the uniforms/weapons from week to week.

Though for what it's worth, Dungeon Defenders uses UE3 and that game is even worse with its patches. Maybe there is something weird with UE3, but some developers have found ways around it.

Unicorn

They don't really bother me, as I don't have a data or bandwidth cap, plus my d/l speed is fast enough that it doesn't affect me, but it's still a clusterfuck.

Lol the Cheston on my team in this game kept complaining that I was getting in his way.
But anyways.. must have been really painful to be on red that match...

Ouch, haha.

The scoring in this game confuses me sometimes... how did you not end up with way more money than the Cheston? He had a few more bot kills, but you must have had huge bot/kill streaks going since you didn't die.

Myomoto

Ouch, haha.

The scoring in this game confuses me sometimes... how did you not end up with way more money than the Cheston? He had a few more bot kills, but you must have had huge bot/kill streaks going since you didn't die.

Picking up money makes a big difference, that's why the Money Magnet product is horribly overpowered.

Picking up money makes a big difference, that's why the Money Magnet product is horribly overpowered.

if it grabs coins slower it would be ok, right now you don't even have to stand still and you will collect all the coins in a huge radius quickly.

Spark needs to be nurfed already, annoying the shit out of me seeing him go 24 to 2 because his dps is stupidly high, however the assassin feels rather balanced to me.

Wthermans

Banned
if it grabs coins slower it would be ok, right now you don't even have to stand still and you will collect all the coins in a huge radius quickly.

Spark needs to be nurfed already, annoying the shit out of me seeing him go 24 to 2 because his dps is stupidly high, however the assassin feels rather balanced to me.

Spark is fine. One grapple with a single teammate around and he's toast. Just like all the other Commandos.

The shots are fairly easy to dodge. Just jump around and strafe left/right.

if only avoiding spark was that good, when someone who knows how plays spark picks him he is near impossible to keep up with, he can teleport out of danger and team mates shooting him in grapples? good luck playing solo matchmaking especially when someone like me for no reason at all get's beginners as team mates against pre-mades (I just had 2 in a row like that and it's heartbreaking, MNC you could carry the team if good enough but not here)

All spark needs is like a 20% damage drop on his melee attacks to keep him under control, he is the juiced assassin from MNC.

Also gun mountain is terrible in design, shelly needs reworking because right now if you keep pressure in the middle you've basically won, if a team tries to shell back they are bombing an empty area of the field.... then bots alone takes about 15 minutes to walk them to the money ball due to the lengh of the map.

It's beyond fun and is rather silly, in a bad way.

One of the devs said that loose coins only account for ~10% of the total money picked up, so it doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference to me. I run MM on a lot of my builds, but mostly just to get $1000 before the first annihilator. After that I don't really notice much difference.

Spark is fine. One grapple with a single teammate around and he's toast. Just like all the other Commandos.

One thing I wish they would do is a better way of calling out enemies to your team. It's beyond frustrating when I have a commando grappled behind my team and none of them even turn around. It really ruins solo queuing for me when teams don't pay attention to their surroundings.

There are pretty easy counters to commandos, but they require having several decent players on your team, which with this matchmaking is pretty rare.

Wthermans

Banned
if only avoiding spark was that good, when someone who knows how plays spark picks him he is near impossible to keep up with, he can teleport out of danger and team mates shooting him in grapples? good luck playing solo matchmaking especially when someone like me for no reason at all get's beginners as team mates against pre-mades (I just had 2 in a row like that and it's heartbreaking, MNC you could carry the team if good enough but not here)

All spark needs is like a 20% damage drop on his melee attacks to keep him under control, he is the juiced assassin from MNC.

Also gun mountain is terrible in design, shelly needs reworking because right now if you keep pressure in the middle you've basically won, if a team tries to shell back they are bombing an empty area of the field.... then bots alone takes about 15 minutes to walk them to the money ball due to the lengh of the map.

It's beyond fun and is rather silly, in a bad way.

Someone who knows how to play their class well can dominate the boards. Spark is no different. Spark is the DPS commando. Nerfing his damage is nerfing his niche. Teleport doesn't do much if you slow him (not to mention how buggy it is in the first place) and all you need to do is grapple him by 1 other teammate to stop him (just like the other Commandos). Spark (and all Commandos) prey on disorganization and mistakes. Commandos are already close to worthless against organized teams that stick together. Nerfing any of their damage will do little to correct the advantages they have against solo queue teams and make them absent from high level play.

Wthermans

Banned
One thing I wish they would do is a better way of calling out enemies to your team. It's beyond frustrating when I have a commando grappled behind my team and none of them even turn around. It really ruins solo queuing for me when teams don't pay attention to their surroundings.

Use the voice comms. I've started calling out my grapples to teammates and it's helped a lot. Also, use the team vision to call out enemies that are flanking your team. It's very easy to get tunnel vision in this game and if you do basic callouts like "Sin flanking left lane, watch your back", it can produce some nice results.

Use the voice comms. I've started calling out my grapples to teammates and it's helped a lot. Also, use the team vision to call out enemies that are flanking your team. It's very easy to get tunnel vision in this game and if you do basic callouts like "Sin flanking left lane, watch your back", it can produce some nice results.

How does the team vision work exactly? Does it show any enemy that your team has line-of-sight to?

I'll have to try the voice comm more, I always forget about that. Only problem with that is that it's sometimes hard to match a voice to a character, but it's still better than nothing.

I still think they could take some cues from Left 4 Dead to make team communication a little more automated and informational. Though I'm not sure how much it would help since a lot of the problem is just people not paying attention. This afternoon a teammate and I were retreating after narrowly winning a confrontation, and we both got ripped up by a Spark while our full-health Tank merrily killed bots no less than ten feet away. In that case, the audio should have made it pretty obvious there was a fight going on right next to him, but he was too focused on bot-killing to turn around.

Wthermans

Banned
How does the team vision work exactly? Does it show any enemy that your team has line-of-sight to?

I'll have to try the voice comm more, I always forget about that. Only problem with that is that it's sometimes hard to match a voice to a character, but it's still better than nothing.

I still think they could take some cues from Left 4 Dead to make team communication a little more automated and informational. Though I'm not sure how much it would help since a lot of the problem is just people not paying attention. This afternoon a teammate and I were retreating after narrowly winning a confrontation, and we both got ripped up by a Spark while our full-health Tank merrily killed bots no less than ten feet away. In that case, the audio should have made it pretty obvious there was a fight going on right next to him, but he was too focused on bot-killing to turn around.

Yep. If your teammate has LOS to an enemy, it'll show up for you on team vision. Enemies tend to stay on team vision for .5 to 1 second after LOS is lost as well.

I tend to use Pro names when doing callouts on voice. Since the game is highlander, you can never go wrong by using "Cheston" or "Support" instead of "roflhinator" or "wthermans".

The game has good audio coverage, most people just don't learn the sounds and get tunnel vision. I know there are some quick chat commands you can utilize as well (such as "help me with this guy") that will put an exclamation point over your head, but unfortunately most people just don't notice it yet.

A lot of Pros have audio clues to their movements as well. Tank/Vet/Gunner all make sounds similar to a bouncer when walking, Karl makes a similar noise. Wascot has a wet flopping sound when he walks. All are extremely useful for forming ambushes when you don't have team vision and tracking the other team's movements.

FatBaby

Oh yeah I hate it, I wanna quit out of the game every time but I have yet to leave a match, I don't do that. It's clunky, small, the guns do too much dmg, the layout is awful... etc.

Tell me about it. It's a mess. There are walls all over the place and you can't get a clear shot on anyone. Going to the jungle is a complete waste of time as the Annihilator isn't even in there.

Feels like no one bothered to play test it.

I really want to see MNC grenade 3 arena in super, make it a little larger so support the new stuff and it would be a great and quick map just like it is in MNC.

I really want to see MNC grenade 3 arena in super, make it a little larger so support the new stuff and it would be a great and quick map just like it is in MNC.

They'd need to add a lot more cover or something. Snipers had line of sight to way too much of that map in the original. Could be a cool map in SMNC though.

I like the new map, it's different :(

Yeah, I don't mind it. It's pretty chaotic but I think part of that is just people still learning it.

I think the guns could use reworking though -- I played against a guy the other day who got probably 8-10 kills from the gun alone. It needs to just add a bit of pressure, not score a bunch of random kills. It's basically two extra mini-annihilators which just give even more power to the team with the most map control.

Wthermans

Banned
They'd need to add a lot more cover or something. Snipers had line of sight to way too much of that map in the original. Could be a cool map in SMNC though.

Yeah, I don't mind it. It's pretty chaotic but I think part of that is just people still learning it.

I think the guns could use reworking though -- I played against a guy the other day who got probably 8-10 kills from the gun alone. It needs to just add a bit of pressure, not score a bunch of random kills. It's basically two extra mini-annihilators which just give even more power to the team with the most map control.

Yep. The worst part is it doesn't have an activation timer like the Anni so it's pretty much a race to the Shelly's.

Just had a couple of great games and noticed some reoccurring themes.

1. Turrets need shields that last longer when attacked by bots, either that or speed up how quickly they recharge.

2. If there are two commandos on a team they will dominate your support classes. Ideally I would like it as a 1 class per team, including paid characters but I doubt that can realistically happen.

Other than that, why aren't there more people playing this? I hated the beta, gave it 3 tries and hated it, they threw the MNC I knew under the bus. Release comes, sure, I'll give it one more try as I know I want to like it. Now it's my go to online game.

Wthermans

Banned
Just had a couple of great games and noticed some reoccurring themes.

1. Turrets need shields that last longer when attacked by bots, either that or speed up how quickly they recharge.

2. If there are two commandos on a team they will dominate your support classes. Ideally I would like it as a 1 class per team, including paid characters but I doubt that can realistically happen.

Other than that, why aren't there more people playing this? I hated the beta, gave it 3 tries and hated it, they threw the MNC I knew under the bus. Release comes, sure, I'll give it one more try as I know I want to like it. Now it's my go to online game.

Turrets just got a buff. Players now have to constantly attack the turret to keep the shields down instead of just tapping it. 1 shot = 1 sec to a max of 20 sec. Also, the Level 2 Lazer Blazers can be upgraded to Level 3 for $500.

Turrets just got a buff. Players now have to constantly attack the turret to keep the shields down instead of just tapping it. 1 shot = 1 sec to a max of 20 sec. Also, the Level 2 Lazer Blazers can be upgraded to Level 3 for $500.

This is news to me and also great, hope all turrets start to work that way.

They tweaked the recharge mechanic in the last patch, so maybe they'll keep looking at it. I haven't really noticed a huge difference, but it should keep people from tapping the turret once every 30 seconds to keep it down.

I wouldn't mind seeing the shields take more hits before they drop, as long as it doesn't draw out the game length too much. It could potentially make the early stalemate pretty tedious.

Good question... I kind of wonder if there are a lot of people who expect it to be TF2 based on the artstyle, and then just can't get the hang of it. And it's not terribly newb-friendly, but most MOBAs are like that from what I understand.

Wthermans

Banned
This is news to me and also great, hope all turrets start to work that way.

It's a bug that was introduced in RC6 and Uber is letting it play out this week to test how upgrading impacts Super Crossfire. Biggest thing I've noticed is it draws out games even longer.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's a bug that was introduced in RC6 and Uber is letting it play out this week to test how upgrading impacts Super Crossfire. Biggest thing I've noticed is it draws out games even longer.

Such a good classic MNC thing. The guns still die pretty quick, though, even after upgraded. They make a nice little additional trap for vets to pull people into and such, too, and the fact it's only available to the lvl 2 guns is kinda nice. I think it'd be too much for this game, if you could do it to every gun on the field.

Really though, I'd love to see a Pro class dedicated to turret modification / maybe even repair and transformation. I miss hacking enemey Turrets in their own bases, and having them get killed around their own moneyball by their own max lvl turrets, lol. Maybe for a future Defender...

I kinda miss the longshots and shaved ice turrets too, wish they'd figure out something to do with them.

DarkKyo

I wish there were a site for SMNC item trading like tf2oupost.com :[

Anyways I'm trading either Captain Buzz torso or Captian Buzz helmet for the Captain Sparkles torso if anyone is interested.

Top Bottom