• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

squall23

Ahh, the final week before the release of a new SRW. I always look forward to these since they're always so full of fun and bullshit.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I've spoiled myself on famitsu scans because I'm super hyped so I already know the first 5 stages. Need to media blackout at this point before further story spoils come in since OG plot is gonna be this game's big attraction.

There's a rumor that Eva is gonna have no story in this game after the intro (aka, only covering until the end of 2.22 + have eye patch Asuka) man I hope that's wrong. There's not a lot of action in 3.33 but the end battle in central dogma is pretty epic.

I am curious and not hopeful with what they're gonna do with Eva in Tengoku since Rebuild's not done. I dunno though, considering how big of a part Kaworu played in Jigoku I can't see that rumor being true since Kaworu's time to shine is 3.33 end set piece.

Bebpo

Banned
Thinking about going digital for Vita so I can start playing Rengoku once it's released. My last few packages from P-A haven't arrived until the Monday or Tuesday, the week after (Disgaea 5/One Piece Musou 3 aren't showing up today). Planning on getting both Vita & PS3 so I can make more progress since the game is going to be like 150 hours long with all the DLC/Rengoku/Full Scenario run and getting PS3 physical. But maybe I'll get Vita digital and blow through Rengoku and the first few stages while waiting for the PS3 physical version to arrive.

The only thing I really don't like about the Vita version (doing my re-run of Z3-1 on Vita currently) is the text boxes are so fucking small it's really strenuous to read all the story without sticking the vita right up to my face.

Bebpo

Banned
Looking at the main site, a couple of observations:

1) The game is out in 5 days and the "story" section on the main site is still not active, lol

2) Ok, so there's going to be 24 DLC stages that take places between main game scenario stages. Why are they not releasing all 24 on day 1? Why just like the first 8 (so probably 8 a week for 3 weeks). If you actually play them when they are supposed to take place in the story, what about if you get past the point in the story before the next set of DLC stages are released? Just really dumb.

But yeah, Rengoku (15) + DLC (24) + ?? (Z3-2; apparently longer than Z3-1 which was 97 stages full scenario [I wonder if a single run is going to be 65-70 stages long since Z3-1 was already 60]) = stage count. This game is gonna be massive.

Bebpo

Banned
What time do games usually go up on the digital store on their release day? Leaving Wed night free with hope it'll be up by like 8pm PST Wed.

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks, yeah I'm bailing out of this thread now as real spoilers start to hit. Will jump in the OT when I've made some progress. Hope we all have good times with this game! Might be the last decent budget licensed srw for a while!

Shouta

Didn't get a chance to work on the OT this weekend because I ended up sick, heh. I'm probably gonna adjust my Jigoku-hen OT a bit more than anything.

Bebpo

Banned
Didn't get a chance to work on the OT this weekend because I ended up sick, heh. I'm probably gonna adjust my Jigoku-hen OT a bit more than anything.

Sorry to hear man. Feel better soon! I'm sure it'll be a good OT. Just need a place for people to talk about the game once it's out. Doesn't need to be elaborate. You don't need to sell anyone on the game. SRW fans are SRW fans and I'd be surprised if anyone just jumped into the series with the final entry in the Z franchise. We've all been around for a while now :p

Oh and obviously people are already playing the game. So spoilers, info, whatever, you can find a bunch of things now.

Like how the DX might not suck anymore.

Beckx

Not getting my copy til end of the month (stupid me saving shipping costs by consolidating ami ami orders).

Ah well.

Sorry to hear man. Feel better soon! I'm sure it'll be a good OT. Just need a place for people to talk about the game once it's out. Doesn't need to be elaborate. You don't need to sell anyone on the game. SRW fans are SRW fans and I'd be surprised if anyone just jumped into the series with the final entry in the Z franchise. We've all been around for a while now :p

The last game was my first one, thanks to Shouta/Lost bringing the series to my attention.

Bebpo

Banned
The last game was my first one, thanks to Shouta/Lost bringing the series to my attention.

Yeah I can understand starting with Z3-1 or Z2, but this is the 2nd half of a game so I don't think many people will be starting with this one.

Bebpo

Banned
Mine shipped this morning from P-A. Pleasantly surprised since it's still before release date. Should have the PS3 physical version on Fri for sure, but will be starting Rengoku-hen tonight on Digital Vita.

Mine shipped this morning from P-A. Pleasantly surprised since it's still before release date. Should have the PS3 physical version on Fri for sure, but will be starting Rengoku-hen tonight on Digital Vita.

AmiAmi seems to hold to the rule of never shipping things out before the official release date. Oh well.

Shouta

I'll get the OT up when I get home this afternoon. And yeah, AmiAmi never seems to break street date for Japan, which is unfortunate.

Also, I saw some spoiler pics, OH MY! That is all I'm saying.

Bebpo

Banned
I'll get the OT up when I get home this afternoon. And yeah, AmiAmi never seems to break street date for Japan, which is unfortunate.

Also, I saw some spoiler pics, OH MY! That is all I'm saying.

Looking forward to the OT! It's now 10:01 AM in Japan Thursday and I'm constantly checking the store every 5 mins. Man, haven't been this excited about a new game in years. But knowing that the Z saga will finally see an end to everything is really exciting.

I got into SRW around when @3 came out, but just dabbled in it without understanding the OG plot. It wasn't until W and OGs that I actually read the plot and got into the great world of SRW storytelling. Then I went back and played @2 & @3.

So for me, since I wasn't there for the original SRW 1-F series, or there for Alpha 1->3 series, this is the first time I've been there from the start and I've watched the Z story play out over 9 years now and to finally see it end...yeah I can't wait. The anime stuff is nice and I love it,but I'm mostly excited for the OG and seeing everything come together in the end.

Also just having watched Unicorn 5-7 last night, there's potentially going to be a lot of crazy shit in this game towards the end with Diebuster/Unicorn/Eva 3.33 involved.

Bebpo

Banned
Vita is up and Oh shit awesome, Rengoku-hen is treated like DLC and you get it on both PS3 and Vita if you buy either version. So even though I bought it on Vita I can play it on PS3 big screen tonight :)

And by the time I finish it my PS3 physical copy should be here. Perfect!

Pehesse

Not sure how good Super Robot Wars Advance Portable is, but there is a team of people that are well under way translating it for those interested. They've still got a good amount of work though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYQW-Vv1LlA&list=PLT3TkbCkfO9DmYaTA3C6c5uJ5AT6B4oIE

Thanks for the news of the translation, I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

Overall agreed with what's said above about the game (HP bloat wasn't as bad as MXP though if memory serves, and the loading times with and without battle animations actually made it all tolerable). It's also artificially harder because of the set RNG, meaning you can't quicksave/quickload out of sticky situations. An action will always get the same result - something Fire Emblem players know quite well, but I don't recall having seen much in SRW's!

Still, I like the game - it's a challenge to be sure, but it's also got nice level design (apart from a few corridors towards the end) and some good replayability thanks to original selection and fairly interesting route splits. My main gripe at the time was that it didn't keep the Zeta OP2 theme it had in the Advance original version, instead replacing it with the Mobile Suit battle Zeta theme we've had since forever now...

Jeb

Guys, I need a bit of help.

A friend of mine really wants to get into Super Robot Wars but can't get any aside from the one on DS.

Please recommend some of the better ones with English translation patches.

Well there are the two Original Generation titles that were released on GBA in English. First one has so-so visuals but OG2 looks amazing.

That's how I got into the series.

Teknoman

You could try super robot wars alpha gaiden for ps1. Full translated patch too.

EDIT: Is there a point to attacking in Jet or Tank forms, especially if standard form has the same attacks?

Loona

A friend of mine really wants to get into Super Robot Wars but can't get any aside from the one on DS.

SRW J also has a translation patch - IIRC, it's mechanically the closest to the DS games.

There's also SRW3, but that granddaddy is mechanically hard to go back to after you've played modern titles - I love that it starts you off with the advertised and expected Gundam, Mazinger and Getter classics and doesn't force an OG character into your party until about halfway into the game, something unthinkable in modern SRWs, but it's a pretty unforgiving game lacking a lot of modern refinements.

Leezard

SRW J has a translation patch now? Amazing, I have to try it out.
You could try super robot wars alpha gaiden for ps1. Full translated patch too.

EDIT: Is there a point to attacking in Jet or Tank forms, especially if standard form has the same attacks?

Jet/Tank forms might have a better terrain rating for some terrains, or better armor/evasion. It's most likely not going to be more than 5/10 hit rate/evasion though.

Teknoman

Man finally beat SRT:OG1's Mission 34. Even though it wasnt graphically detailed, SRX kinda hyped me up lol. But damn if the rest of the fight isnt tough.

Quick question though...am I going to end up paying later for not evenly leveling my motherships?

CorvoSol

SRW J has a translation patch now? Amazing, I have to try it out.

Jet/Tank forms might have a better terrain rating for some terrains, or better armor/evasion. It's most likely not going to be more than 5/10 hit rate/evasion though.

J got translated a few years back, I think. One of the first SRW games I played.

Pehesse

Man finally beat SRT:OG1's Mission 34. Even though it wasnt graphically detailed, SRX kinda hyped me up lol. But damn if the rest of the fight isnt tough.

Quick question though...am I going to end up paying later for not evenly leveling my motherships?

GBA version? I think you can get by without upgrading either of them, if memory serves, so you should be all right. There's one of the routes where you need to rush them forward, I believe, but even then your other units should be more than enough to clear a path for them in time. There is a secret that requires both captains to have a certain number of kills by a certain point, but even that shouldn't require any upgrading. (it's only a few good items, too, so I generally don't bother, by that point you're already pretty well outfitted)

J got translated a few years back, I think. One of the first SRW games I played.

I'm adding my vote to J's translation, it's very very well done, and the game was also my introduction to the series. Amazing spritework, the overall Fury plot is quite nice, there's a wide selection of originals... the only thing that gets grating is the overall difficulty balance (very easy) and the poor AI, but that shouldn't bother too much any first timer, as we're too busy ogling the beautiful animations :-D (at least, I did!)

Otherwise, if DS (and GBA then?) is the only available option, OG1+OG2 are completely valid choices, even though they don't have the anime crossover component. I do think it's a bit too bad to start straight out with OG2 as you'll be missing out on plot, which is fairly nice by anime SF standards, though I agree the animations aren't as flashy as they are in OG1. My gameplan would be to show J, as in "look at what's ultimately available", and then start out proper with OG1, move to OG2, and then to J :-D (and if japanese eventually turns into a non-issue, D is a favorite of mine, and the DS ones are all fairly interesting for different reasons, enough to play them in order of release, so W->K->L. No region locking to worry about on DS, too, so they're pretty easy to get working copies.)

Bebpo

Banned
Posted this in the Z3-2 thead:

If anyone is not buying Z3-2 anytime soon, but interested in playing Rengoku-hen, I have an extra PS3/Vita combo code for the 8-10 hour 15 map OG-only mini-SRW.

Maid

Banned
Posted this in the Z3-2 thead:

If anyone is not buying Z3-2 anytime soon, but interested in playing Rengoku-hen, I have an extra PS3/Vita combo code for the 8-10 hour 15 map OG-only mini-SRW.

Is it only included in first print copies? I'm going to buy Z3-2 at the end of this month, and I don't know if it will included in the game by then.

Teknoman

Is Z3-1 a PS3 best or whatever yet? Also do those actually get decent price drops?

Also would it be best to just jump between series? I'm currently planning on starting up Alpha Gaiden after I finish OG1, but then I cant decide whether I want to jump back in with OG2 on to 2ndOG, or just go on with the Z series and then move back to OG to wrap up.

Bebpo

Banned
Is it only included in first print copies? I'm going to buy Z3-2 at the end of this month, and I don't know if it will included in the game by then.

Yeah, only first print. The PSN store says digital copies bought after 4/15/15 won't include it.

If you're not buying it until the end of the month I'll PM you my extra code so you don't miss it.

Is Z3-1 a PS3 best or whatever yet? Also do those actually get decent price drops?

Also would it be best to just jump between series? I'm currently planning on starting up Alpha Gaiden after I finish OG1, but then I cant decide whether I want to jump back in with OG2 on to 2ndOG, or just go on with the Z series and then move back to OG to wrap up.

There is a best version of Z3-1. You can jump between stuff, sure. For Z though I'd recommend starting with Z1 or Z2. Z3-1 isn't that great of place to start because it's just not that fun. Too early to tell how Z3-2 stands up.

Top Bottom