• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

So has there been any press releases about Tengoku Hen yet? Or did everyone find out about it through Play Asia? I remember last year they gave us a trailer at Christmas so I was hoping for the same this year.

PS3 version preordered heh.

There was a big press event live streamed the other week.

Bebpo

Banned
Going back and replaying more Z3-1 to get ready for Z3-2, and it's growing on me as time goes by. Looking forward to Z3-2.

The three things that Z3-2 really needs imo is:

1) You have to be able to use Giant Gurren Lagann for most of the game. I don't care how they justify it in the story ("We found a way to shrink Chou Ginga GL down to normal mech size!"), but I don't want to be stuck using standard GL for 90% of the game and then only get to play with Chou Ginga GL for the last couple of maps. That's lame and it even makes replays lame because you can't just have fun with the unit. I'm not asking for final form GL and I'm ok with that version being just for the final stages again, but at least give me the one before it for most of the game.

2) They need a lot more cut-ins and better cut-in choreography. Z2 nailed this. You want to have a cut in right when the final hit/slash connects to give it more impact. I really hope they bring back a lot of in-attack cut-ins for Z3-2.

3) Don't take half the game to re-introduce the cast again. Seriously. Let's get this moving quicker this time.

I think the DLC being a connecting chapter is a good idea because then it doesn't pad out an already slow paced game with even more missions between events. Otoh, since the DLC is a prequel and will have carry over bonuses to Z3-2's main game...they should really release the DLC Rengoku hen as a standalone downloadable game a month before Z3-2 so you can play that first. Because otherwise, if you want to play the story in story-order, you'll buy Z3-2 and then spend the first 10-20 hours of it just going through all the DLC prequel first before you even start playing the game.

Bebpo

Banned
You know, doing some analysis, I wonder if old series will get more plot in this one because right now it seems like it's missing enough stories to run parallel.

Z3-1 stories going on:
Gundam Unicorn 1-4
Aquarion Evol
Full Metal Panic S1, Full Metal Panic S2, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Evangelion Rebuild Movie 1, Evangelion Rebuild Movie 2
Gunbuster
Endless Waltz
CCA
Votoms OAV1
Shin Mazinger
Gurren Lagann
Testujin 28
OG

That's 12 total series that had plot events.

Z3-2 stories so far that will be going on:
00 Movie
Diebuster
Gargantia
FMP Novels
Eva 2.22/3.33
Gundam Unicorn 5-7
Votoms OAV2
OG

That's only 8 stories with plot events. Sure Gunbuster didn't have any real plot, and EW was only a couple of maps, but that's still 10 vs. 8. Unless they're going full force OG in this one and 1/3rd of the maps are going to be OG maps, it feels like they're might be a couple of surprises like Tetsujin 28 / Shin Mazinger in Z3-1. I'd be up for even more Mazinger and doing something new with Turn A.

Wow, I'm shocked I didn't see anything about it. I searched GAF for a thread but there wasn't one, only the posts here. Sorry, going to watch that trailer now. Thanks.

*edit*

What was that last bit at the end of the trailer with Setsuko and Crow? Is that included DLC or something you buy separately? LTTP on this one, I apologize guys.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, I'm shocked I didn't see anything about it. I searched GAF for a thread but there wasn't one, only the posts here. Sorry, going to watch that trailer now. Thanks.

*edit*

What was that last bit at the end of the trailer with Setsuko and Crow? Is that included DLC or something you buy separately? LTTP on this one, I apologize guys.

DLC. Dlc this time is rengoku hen a connecting prequel taking place between z3-1 and z3-2.

That being said, Crowe and crew will be in the main game as the OG finale pretty much requires all the sphere characters to be involved. Can't wait for my Asakim final boss!

DLC. Dlc this time is rengoku hen a connecting prequel taking place between z3-1 and z3-2.

That being said, Crowe and crew will be in the main game as the OG finale pretty much requires all the sphere characters to be involved. Can't wait for my Asakim final boss!

Okay, thank you. I guess I better get some Japanese PSN credit when it comes out.

32. [PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.10} (¥8.715) - 209.892
40. [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.10} (¥7.689) - 164.851

Ouch, Z and both halves of Z2 opened higher or near to that total.

Loona

Since this got bumped...

Is the series SRW OG The Inspectors any good?
Would it be easier to catch up with event in the games through it?
I hear there's this Gilliam Yeager guy who's supposed to be the same across multiple continuities - is he in it?

Shouta

You get a better idea of what happens if you play the game but The Inspector does a decent enough job telling the story from it. It's pretty good looking and the actions is great being because it was directed by Masami Obari.

Loona

You get a better idea of what happens if you play the game but The Inspector does a decent enough job telling the story from it. It's pretty good looking and the actions is great being because it was directed by Masami Obari.

I have some rough notions about the plot, mostly the Divine Crusaders and the Inspectors themselves, due to playing the fan-translated SRW3.
Stuff like Einst, Shadow-Mirror and Aerogaters, which I see mentioned in SRW OG lore are a bit more elusive to me, so I wonder how necessary is it to understand them...

Stuff like Einst, Shadow-Mirror and Aerogaters, which I see mentioned in SRW OG lore are a bit more elusive to me, so I wonder how necessary is it to understand them...

Einst are from Impact, Shadow-Mirror is OG2, and Aerogaters are from Alpha. It's really not worth worrying about unless you plan to play all the games anyway.

Bebpo

Banned
Anything new on Z3-2 since it comes out in 2 months? I mean it's the final game of the 9 year franchise, time to start hyping it up!

My main wonder is how to work in Rengoku-hen if it takes place between 3-1 and 3-2. Does that mean we're supposed to play Rengoku-hen first before we even play the main game? That would be weird, you wouldn't want to burn yourself out on SRW before you even start the game.

But if you play it after and it's a flashback, then you won't get the parts to use on your playthrough. I wonder if it's going to be unlocked like Z3-1 where every few maps a new DLC is playable and it's spoon-feeding you the flashback of Rengoku-hen a piece at a time as you progress through the main game?

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm, checked the website and that sort of answered my question. Next information dump is next week Feb 5th. Probably start talking about the OG story and maybe Rengoku-hen's placement.

Bebpo

Banned
You know, looking at the site Daitarn sprite is really different than Z1/Z2. They're totally going away from the SD style each game.

16380707046_2358530fb7_o.png

16219053148_fdf70cc8c8_o.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
Wait, Rengoku-hen is free for first print copies? So that means no paid DLC this time around? That'd be nice, making it $30 or so cheaper overall.

But man, if they expect you to play through Rengoku-hen first (and get the clear bonus when you start Tengoku)...that sounds like a sure way to burn yourself out on SRW before you even start Tengoku-hen. Especially if it's like 24 maps long or so....

Shouta

Rengoku probably won't be as hefty per map though. It'll probably be like the OGs one but even fewer units.

So with all the news about Z3-2 finally rolling out means we are close to an actual release.

Now is the time to start thinking about the most critical thing: custom soundtrack.

Thinking about replacing the themes for Genion with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkfhxUkblZ8 and during Gai mode power up with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcwvweGleZo

Mainly because summoning creepy giant robots shrouded in darkness from magic circles sure makes me think of Demonbane, kinda.

The Maximum Break theme was also rather flacid so maybe take a cue from 2nd OGs and replace it with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnZPEtz6i0c

So many options, but one thing to keep in mind that the mainline series have started using vocal themes to some good effect. So replacing everything with the original vocal theme might not be the best idea. Oh and obviously finally get the proper theme for stoner sunshine.

Bebpo

Banned
Surprised they still haven't updated the story part of the website yet. Guess the final March update will be OG story & probably 1 more trailer.

Rengoku probably won't be as hefty per map though. It'll probably be like the OGs one but even fewer units.

Not sure if it's known but saw on the website that Rengoku is 15 chapters long. That's not too bad I guess if it's short maps. Probably 10 hour long game before starting the real 120 hour+ main game.

Shouta

Yeah, Gargantia was a surprise inclusion but it makes a lot of sense for the game to have it in there. It melds really well with a lot of the series.

Yeah, Gargantia was a surprise inclusion but it makes a lot of sense for the game to have it in there. It melds really well with a lot of the series.
It does and doesn't. The over world setting does, the actual plot of the show does not in any sort of way.

I sure hope the writers manage to write around it as the SRW setting really undercuts a lot of the plot and the messages in the show.

Shouta

It's very likely the theme and messages of the show won't be discussed. The story and setting works though. The only question is whether or not we'll get more that wasn't written in the show.

Or alternatively they'll use that message from Gargantia as a main element in the OG storyline, lol

Bebpo

Banned
I had an odd night where I got really hyped for Z3-2 since it's only 6 weeks away and got in the SRW mood and wanted to play some SRW but I didn't know what.

I tried MX Portable and it ran pretty crappy. Like not only did the graphics lack color and were dithered but the map polygons ran in like slow motion have the time. It was really chugging.

Then I tried MX PS2 and it played really smooth. Still holds up fairly well. Controls nice, combat without animations isn't too slow, loading for battle animations isn't too bad (not really any worse than Z3-1). Animations look a little dated but not too shabby. At least the enemies and characters have idling animation! (unlike Z3-1).

MX is the only licensed SRW w/voice that I haven't played so I'll play it at some point on PS2.

Then I checked out some A Portable videos and it looks like it plays pretty well, but then I remembered the miss with 95% hit percentage stuff and crazy difficulty I heard about and still not really interested. Plus the sprites look blurry since they're just ripped from all over PS2 games.

After that I stuck in Z1 Special Disc because I never really played the extra stage missions since they weren't really canon or if they are they're just silly stories and don't progress the Z plot at all from what I heard at the time. Man, going back to Z1 is really interesting. It still holds up incredibly well; plays quickly, looks nice, but yeah the art style is completely different. Everything is really SD big head in Z1 and that's nowhere to be found in Z3. Also the animation style is very different. Z1 isn't so much about crazy animation that Z3 is missing, but Z1 is all about dynamic 3d movement with sprites. Lots of circling around, flying around movement in attacks whereas Z3 is very static 2d plane attacking. Z3 attacks are a lot more like MX attacks but obviously better modern graphics.

Finally I stuck back in Z3-1 and played for a couple of hours on my new game+ and blew through the first 16 maps. The game actually looks really nice coming from the older ones. The sprites are really pretty and sharp and detailed and the map looks nice and menus all move pretty smooth.

...but man, is Z3-1 boring and not particularly fun! First of all, coming from Z1 what I noticed is that SRW games used to be about fun series interactions. Z1 Xabungle enemies are amazing with their little animations where they drop parts and leave the screen and come back and run with bombs and stuff like that. There's a ton of personality and character. E7 attacks are really fun and good music and dialogues. Z2 Dai-guard was fun and energetic + Gurren Lagann Earth Arc is all about fun kick ass stuff. But man, Z3-1 was way too serious. Yeah it had FMP which had some goofy scenarios, but FMP isn't really "fun and energetic" at least in the map designs of Z3 where you're fighting dozens of boring grunts with boring FMP units with boring music and boring animations. Evol is grunt heavy dull, Unicorn is super serious as is CCA and EW, Eva is pretty serious; Gunbuster is post-story and missing all the other characters. Z3-1 is just missing that fun Dai-guard/GL/E7/Xabungle series. I sure hope with Diebuster they can inject some fun into Z3-2 to counter all the serious OG stuff.

And Z3-1 is really missing on support units. Like, playing Z1 special disk there's so many support units playable along with all kinds of bosses/mini-bosses and such. They really paired down the roster in Z3-1 unfortunately. Hopefully Z3-2 brings back a lot of the support units since there isn't a whole lot of new ones.

Also Z3-1 takes forever to get the units that are fun to use. You start off with boring units or shitty grunt units or units like Unicorn that can't even do NT-D mode outside plot events until like halfway through the game. Gunbuster doesn't show up until more than halfway through the game, the 00 Gundam group don't show up until pretty far into the game. Instead you keep fighting the same set of grunts from FMP and then Evol and it's pretty dull. I really hope with Z3-2 you start getting the good units right from the start. No more grunt temp units please.

Another problem with Z3-1 is that it's full of grunts. Unlike some of the other SRW games, Z3-1 is still kind of slow on replay with maxed characters because just taking out all of the grunts is tiring. There's just too fucking many every stage and what's bullshit is because they killed morale in Z3-1 you need all those grunts to get to your best attacks by the end of the map. They really need like 1/2 the amount of grunt units and increased morale across the team to make for better paced maps.

Yet another issue with Z3-1 is how they handle team battle animations. I don't think anyone enjoys watching the support unit attack because they can't even do their good looking attacks on support outside maximum break, instead they do a boring attack that no one really wants to see. So every time you want to watch your main unit's battle animation attack you have to wait a couple of seconds for the support to show up, hit square twice and then finally your unit attacks. This basically doubles the "real loading time" for watching the attack you want to see and it's pretty tedious tbh. If they're not going to do the split-screen that 2nd OGs uses (which is great) then give me an option in the battle select menu to "SKIP SUPPORT UNIT'S DEMO" so I can just watch my main unit attack.

I don't even have a problem with the graphics at this point in Z3-1 outside of stupid stuff like Deathscythe's ALL attack. But the overall flow of Z3-1 is just very dull, from boring units, to grunt filled maps, to longer load times, to a story that doesn't really go anywhere for most of the game and even the fun Gurren Lagann stuff isn't until the last 5-6 maps of 60.

Another thing I don't like is how we're down to so few new entry licensed series that because of all these route splits, there's a lot less crossover this time around. If you get a 3 way split for 3 maps each split, it's basically going to be 3 maps of doing 1-2 episodes of a single series, like top route will just be 3 maps of slowly going through some Unicorn story and middle will be 3 maps of slowly going through some Eva story, etc... I miss old SRW where the space route would be a mix of several new series that are space-focused and earth would be new story for several new series that are earth focused mixed together. This probably really sucks for people who only play 1 route each playthrough since when you only have like 5 new entry series plotlines and you miss most of 2 of them doing a single route you're left with not a whole lot of "new story".

Oh well, I hope Z3-2 is much, much better. A lot of that stuff isn't even a problem because of splitting the game or because of lower budgets/less time. There's just some design decisions that made Z3-1 a pretty boring SRW game. I want Z3-2 to be EXCITING. It's the final chapter, it should start with a bang and cool shit should be happening all the time with power players joining up everywhere. Unfortunately we're already kind of fucked with the ELS, but hopefully they can work that in some fun crossover way. Bringing back old school Aquarion, Turn A, Daitarn and Gundam X is a good step in the right direction if they use them right as those are fun series that can bring a lot of energy. But like Orguss was in Z3-1 and I kept forgetting Orguss was in Z3-1 because it really wasn't used at all. So I hope the Z1 series they're bringing back with all new sprites aren't just going to sit in the background.

tl;dr; version - fingers crossed Z3-2 is fun

Reishiki

Banned
I'm still bitter about SRWMX, a Soul Calibur 3 glitch nuked the memory card that held my 3/4ths complete save file.

It'll be quite interesting to go back to, as it was the second SRW I ever played (after J) and I still hadn't seen or knew about a lot of the included series at the time. I know a lot more than I did back then, that's for sure.

Pehesse

I had an odd night where I got really hyped for Z3-2 since it's only 6 weeks away and got in the SRW mood and wanted to play some SRW but I didn't know what.

I tried MX Portable and it ran pretty crappy. Like not only did the graphics lack color and were dithered but the map polygons ran in like slow motion have the time. It was really chugging.

Then I tried MX PS2 and it played really smooth. Still holds up fairly well. Controls nice, combat without animations isn't too slow, loading for battle animations isn't too bad (not really any worse than Z3-1). Animations look a little dated but not too shabby. At least the enemies and characters have idling animation! (unlike Z3-1).

MX is the only licensed SRW w/voice that I haven't played so I'll play it at some point on PS2.

Then I checked out some A Portable videos and it looks like it plays pretty well, but then I remembered the miss with 95% hit percentage stuff and crazy difficulty I heard about and still not really interested. Plus the sprites look blurry since they're just ripped from all over PS2 games.

After that I stuck in Z1 Special Disc because I never really played the extra stage missions since they weren't really canon or if they are they're just silly stories and don't progress the Z plot at all from what I heard at the time. Man, going back to Z1 is really interesting. It still holds up incredibly well; plays quickly, looks nice, but yeah the art style is completely different. Everything is really SD big head in Z1 and that's nowhere to be found in Z3. Also the animation style is very different. Z1 isn't so much about crazy animation that Z3 is missing, but Z1 is all about dynamic 3d movement with sprites. Lots of circling around, flying around movement in attacks whereas Z3 is very static 2d plane attacking. Z3 attacks are a lot more like MX attacks but obviously better modern graphics.

Finally I stuck back in Z3-1 and played for a couple of hours on my new game+ and blew through the first 16 maps. The game actually looks really nice coming from the older ones. The sprites are really pretty and sharp and detailed and the map looks nice and menus all move pretty smooth.

...but man, is Z3-1 boring and not particularly fun! First of all, coming from Z1 what I noticed is that SRW games used to be about fun series interactions. Z1 Xabungle enemies are amazing with their little animations where they drop parts and leave the screen and come back and run with bombs and stuff like that. There's a ton of personality and character. E7 attacks are really fun and good music and dialogues. Z2 Dai-guard was fun and energetic + Gurren Lagann Earth Arc is all about fun kick ass stuff. But man, Z3-1 was way too serious. Yeah it had FMP which had some goofy scenarios, but FMP isn't really "fun and energetic" at least in the map designs of Z3 where you're fighting dozens of boring grunts with boring FMP units with boring music and boring animations. Evol is grunt heavy dull, Unicorn is super serious as is CCA and EW, Eva is pretty serious; Gunbuster is post-story and missing all the other characters. Z3-1 is just missing that fun Dai-guard/GL/E7/Xabungle series. I sure hope with Diebuster they can inject some fun into Z3-2 to counter all the serious OG stuff.

Also Z3-1 takes forever to get the units that are fun to use. You start off with boring units or shitty grunt units or units like Unicorn that can't even do NT-D mode outside plot events until like halfway through the game. Gunbuster doesn't show up until more than halfway through the game, the 00 Gundam group don't show up until pretty far into the game. Instead you keep fighting the same set of grunts from FMP and then Evol and it's pretty dull. I really hope with Z3-2 you start getting the good units right from the start. No more grunt temp units please.

Another problem with Z3-1 is that it's full of grunts. Unlike some of the other SRW games, Z3-1 is still kind of slow on replay with maxed characters because just taking out all of the grunts is tiring. There's just too fucking many every stage and what's bullshit is because they killed morale in Z3-1 you need all those grunts to get to your best attacks by the end of the map. They really need like 1/2 the amount of grunt units and increased morale across the team to make for better paced maps.

Yet another issue with Z3-1 is how they handle team battle animations. I don't think anyone enjoys watching the support unit attack because they can't even do their good looking attacks on support outside maximum break, instead they do a boring attack that no one really wants to see. So every time you want to watch your main unit's battle animation attack you have to wait a couple of seconds for the support to show up, hit square twice and then finally your unit attacks. This basically doubles the "real loading time" for watching the attack you want to see and it's pretty tedious tbh. If they're not going to do the split-screen that 2nd OGs uses (which is great) then give me an option in the battle select menu to "SKIP SUPPORT UNIT'S DEMO" so I can just watch my main unit attack.

I don't even have a problem with the graphics at this point in Z3-1 outside of stupid stuff like Deathscythe's ALL attack. But the overall flow of Z3-1 is just very dull, from boring units, to grunt filled maps, to longer load times, to a story that doesn't really go anywhere for most of the game and even the fun Gurren Lagann stuff isn't until the last 5-6 maps of 60.

Another thing I don't like is how we're down to so few new entry licensed series that because of all these route splits, there's a lot less crossover this time around. If you get a 3 way split for 3 maps each split, it's basically going to be 3 maps of doing 1-2 episodes of a single series, like top route will just be 3 maps of slowly going through some Unicorn story and middle will be 3 maps of slowly going through some Eva story, etc... I miss old SRW where the space route would be a mix of several new series that are space-focused and earth would be new story for several new series that are earth focused mixed together. This probably really sucks for people who only play 1 route each playthrough since when you only have like 5 new entry series plotlines and you miss most of 2 of them doing a single route you're left with not a whole lot of "new story".

Oh well, I hope Z3-2 is much, much better. A lot of that stuff isn't even a problem because of splitting the game or because of lower budgets/less time. There's just some design decisions that made Z3-1 a pretty boring SRW game. I want Z3-2 to be EXCITING. It's the final chapter, it should start with a bang and cool shit should be happening all the time with power players joining up everywhere. Unfortunately we're already kind of fucked with the ELS, but hopefully they can work that in some fun crossover way. Bringing back old school Aquarion, Turn A, Daitarn and Gundam X is a good step in the right direction if they use them right as those are fun series that can bring a lot of energy. But like Orguss was in Z3-1 and I kept forgetting Orguss was in Z3-1 because it really wasn't used at all. So I hope the Z1 series they're bringing back with all new sprites aren't just going to sit in the background.

tl;dr; version - fingers crossed Z3-2 is fun

Agreed with most of that. Another thing that adds to this feeling, to me, is the starting unit placement: in most stages of Z3.1, even on route splits, units start in that "sortying from battleships" grouped formation, with even stage-important units being neatly ordered with the others. I feel that contributes a lot to this overall feeling that most stages are laid out the same - because they basically are, whereas many of the others SRW's (even UX, which I've been replaying right after a Z3 replay) have quite a few stages with unique level design/starting positions, or even enemy reinforcements that change the overall flow of the battle from simply "rush everyone to the enemy in a group and pummel the boss(es)".

With that said, I've enjoyed my replay of Z3.1 more than my original playthrough, in part I believe because of my choices of route splits (I had an EVOL overdose in my first) and because of the custom music feature, which allows the player to put back some of that lost dynamism you mentioned. That's almost a page out of the PC modding community right there, with some base games that are "okay" but end up great with mods :-D

Still, I do hope they'll have had the time to go back and study Z2.2 animation timings, which are the key element that make the difference to me... Proportions, in-betweening, camera angles, even some cut-ins are arguably different enough to be hard to compare, but the rhythm of most animations feel "off" in Jigoku, almost amateurish, and I've been wondering all the way through, both times, if they haven't been training a new team on this game? We'll just have to see how it turns out, but I'll admit to being quite cautious compared to Z3.1 pre-release phase. It even seems they are cautious themselves, when we compare how little information/media we've had compared to other titles! Is it a lack of confidence, managing expectations, or reaction to having been criticized for showing too much beforehand? I couldn't say, but it doesn't make me that optimistic :-D

Z1 has the best gameplay of any SRW, imo. 2nd OG, OG2, OGs, etc. are also good. Z3-1 gameplay is kind of disappointing in comparison.

Older SRWs like A Portable are only bearable on an emulator where you can speed toggle.

No I am sorry UX is incredibly boring in terms of map and gameplay flow, mainly because there is no regard for gameplay balance. The strengths of that game lie in the plot, crossover, and unlockable secrets.

Bebpo

Banned
I think, if Z3-2 doesn't deliver, then Z2-1 Hakai-hen will be my favorite of the last four Z games in retrospect. Yeah Z2-2 has better units, more attacks, more stages. But Z2-1 has the best stories going on. I mean in Z2-1 you have: a Gurren Lagann full complete arc (as opposed to just a couple of maps in Z2-2 and a couple of maps in Z3-1), Gundam 00 S1 (best season), Dai-guard complete storyline, Geass S1 (arguably the better season), Tons of the best Votoms material, Shin Mazinger first half, Gundam Wing TV first half, Shin Getter Robo first half, Godmars storyline, Trider story, Dancouga Nova story arc, E7 complete movie and half of Macross F. That's a lot of fun exciting anime stories covered, so there's tons of events going on and crossover everywhere. And it's mostly quality stuff outside Mac F and the E7 movie and the battles move pretty quick thanks to single units and the music/visuals are great.

Z1 is great too with Eureka Seven, Gainer, Aquarion, Gundam X, Turn A, Xabungle, Orguss among others. It's a bit rushed because there's so many storylines being covered in fewer maps than Z2/Z3 but there's a lot of great stuff in there.

So from a non-OG storyline perspective, Z1 and Z2-1 are the great ones. Z2-2 is a step back in the storylines that make up the game and Z3-1 is an even bigger step back in that area.

I'm definitely hyped and looking forward to Z3-2, hoping they'll fix the gameplay/presentation problems and hoping the OG story will really deliver with some great crossover anime usage. But at the same time, I think I'm more excited about the next SRW by this team in 3 years that can start fresh without all this baggage and deliver a SRW game with a bunch of fun and exciting anime series again.

No I am sorry UX is incredibly boring in terms of map and gameplay flow, mainly because there is no regard for gameplay balance. The strengths of that game lie in the plot, crossover, and unlockable secrets.

I do agree UX was pretty dull to play. I tried doing a new game+ and couldn't get very far. The last SRW game I really enjoyed new game+ on was Z2-1/Z2-2.

Bebpo

Banned
Also Z3-1 would've been better if they actually just DID Gunbuster full story so you'd have another storyline going on in the early parts with Noriko training and stuff. While Gunbuster is a kickass unit in Z3-1, it was kind of a waste to start it post plot when there's so few anime plotlines spread across the 100+ maps already.

Shouta

My complaints with Jigoku-hen was mostly the lack of energy in the animations and the fact we didn't get many new series, just a lot of recycled ones or ones that had poor animation, lol.

I really liked how they used the series they had in the story though and doing original content was welcome, like with Shin Mazinger. CCA's integration was great too.

Bebpo

Banned
I never noticed, but the Tengoku trailer shows that there's definitely major touch ups in the Tengoku hen. The Arbalest attack is completely different in choreography.

Check out original (you might need to go through like frame by frame to really notice):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWvoWgpU1ms#t=157

Then compare it to the Tengoku version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri5nKaMiq30#t=177

Key differences:
-Cut-in looks better, more impact than just a side view of the face
-Cuts out the boring running sequence and goes straight into jumping into the air; basically cuts the animation length in half to make it speedy and more exciting
-When he lands in the original he's facing down -> point up and shoot -> then jump to the side -> then shoot cut-in; the new one smooths out the choreography by landing facing at an angle already then cut-in shoot to the face, dash out.

That's a lot of changes. If they put that much or even half as much effort into touching up the Z3-1 animations, it's going to be huge. One of the big problems with Z3-1 animations is that they're boring. Part of that is because they're slow drawn out attacks with little impact; cutting the attack length in half and focusing on the exciting parts with everything flowing well like that attack is a really good improvement.

I didn't even notice it when I first watched the trailer, but stuff like that makes me excited! Hopefully Deathscythe Hell gets redone like that.

Squishy3

Is there a translation for the pilot stats you can increase with PP in Jigoku-Hen? I looked for the page on the akurasu wiki and couldn't find it, but I might just be dumb.

Which brings me to my other point, is there no point to those stats and should I just spend the PP on the abilities that you can buy with it?

Tsukumo

Third post in a raw. Yay for meee!

For people who still ain't got them, all the Z titles are on sale on JP PSN. Z3 for 4000 yen (3'000 on Vita), each Z2 for 2000, and Z for 1'200 (original price was like, 1'500 so not much of a sale on this one).
The mission packs for Z3 haven't been discounted... I think. Can't remember how much I paid for the mission packs.

Bebpo

Banned

Niiiice; yup was hoping all the OG leads got upgrades in the final segment of the Z franchise.

These + whatever Hibiki's upgrade will be nice to have. Maybe Asakim will get a new mech too :D I guess my only complaint is that these upgrades are pretty incremental instead of major new mech designs (except Brasta, that's a pretty huge improvement in design). Hope Hibiki's upgrade is pretty boss. Crowe's upgrade is what he should've gotten in Z2-2. Looks badass and Blasta never really got a cool looking upgrade.

Bebpo

Banned
At this point I should probably go into media blackout and not watch PV2. Too much spoilage! Probably would've been more exciting for these new OG mechs too show up if I hadn't seen them first. Would've been a really cool surprise. Game's only 5 weeks away anyways.

Shouta

These are really nice upgrades. Super hyped now!

Setsuko's Gunnery Carver really looks different. Makes sense because the Sphere exists within the gun itself and the Virgola was built to supplement it.

Genion's new animation looks nice. I think it's safe to assume the GAI mode will have new ones as well. Maybe even a new mode entirely depending on how things play out.

Sousuke finally got some much needed upgrades as well. It seems like they're pulling out all the stops since this is the last game in the series.

I wonder what they have planned after this.

Top Bottom