• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Scribblenauts: Avoid the obvious adjective jokes |OT|

vgkks5.png

Developer: 5TH Cell Media
Publisher: Warner Brothers Entertainment

Genre: Puzzle/Platformer
Price: $29.99
Release Date: 10/12/10 (America) | 10/29/10 (Europe) | 10/27/10 (Australia)

2cp9tg3.jpg

The original Scribblenauts is equally known for its amazing premise as its disappointing execution that couldn't meet people's overhyped expectations. Though it was still enjoyed by a lot of people, a lot of design flaws prevented it from becoming well loved among core communities

Thankfully, 5TH Cell decided to give another pass at the game, this time making it Super. The name fits in a lot of ways, both as a throwback to SNES titling as well as promoting its new adjective system. However, I think it best describes the game as a whole...this is the same Scribblenauts, but better, more improved, and hopefully better aligned with previous expectations. Not surprisingly, that last fact is what the focus of this OT will be!​

--> What's New?

egd8ao.png

New controls!
Nothing else annoyed players as much as the original's rather loose and frustrating control scheme. All that has changed. D-Pad controls are in, Stylus controls have been improved, and Maxwell runs about 30% slower to prevent spastic movement. You can even switch it on the fly!​

24qtu1t.png

Better levels!
Scribblenauts was split right down the middle between puzzle and action levels. The puzzle levels were clearly fan favorites given their unique nature, but many found the action levels to be rather repetitive and boring, falling prey to a Pegasus and a length of rope. Now there are 120 new levels of mostly the puzzle variety, purposefully preventing people from using the same old solutions and allowing for unique situations to make up the majority of the levels. You'll pretend to be the tooth fairy, kill all the dinosaurs (again), and transform people into dragons. Levels are also deeper and have multiple objectives and stages.

As if that weren't enough, the GUI and hint system has been drastically overdone. Not only will you have a clearer idea of what to do in a given level, you'll also have a much better interface to let you know when you're doing something right. Objectives, a tiered hint system, and real time notifications should help any gamer figure everything out

Finally, the level editor has been completely changed. You can create your own terrain now, and you're given a lot of "template" objectives in order to create both action and puzzle levels. As always, you can share them over the internet.​

nwixph.jpg

Adjectives!
These happy little guys can modify both physical and mental attributes of any object. These changes can range from the practical - bridge too short? make a longer one! - to utterly bizarre, such as a bovine Cthulhu, whose skin color turns to a cow pattern and can be milked.

The adjective system is pretty complex, allowing you to string words together to make combinations. A red, giant, angry oven would give you pretty much what you'd expect, assuming you expect to be killed by a kitchen appliance. While some adjectives might be purely cosmetic, certain personality modifies can give inanimate objects life, while others can bestow some fairly extreme changes. A pregnant zombie box can, in fact, give birth. To a smaller, still zombified box. Oh, and the original box inherits the "motherly" adjective.

It's a brave new world

25f59v8.jpg

Minor improvements? Added!
Super Scribblenauts is a game that has spent more time in the cooker than its predecessor, and it shows in the form of small additions and changes. For example, did you like just screwing around in the original? Then you'll love the fact that the "playground" level found in the title screen can now save your progress.

There are also many new objects in the game, particularly unique objects/assets for items that were once clones. Existing objects have also gotten a significant revamp, most likely due to the changes done to the underlying code of the object system.

Creatures have many more "responses" and "emotions" to other creatures and objects, interacting with each other in a more realistic way. You'll also find that many items have more uses than before: Volcanoes actually erupt, ropes can be attached to any spot on an item now, and you can choose the time period when you use a time machine.​

wa2j2q.png

Minor annoyances? Removed!
Did you dislike how wings never lasted very long? Did the wonky physics system cause some bizarre glitches? Did you hate that the camera kept snapping back to Maxwell, even when you were in the middle of making a sweet tower made out of chairs?

All gone! 5TH Cell took user feedback to heart and wiped away the things little things that annoyed us the most. The camera stays put when needed and objects now have a more realistic weight to them. You can now focus on actually playing the game instead of getting annoyed by it​

--> Screens
51bypj.png
2vt5bub.png
2rqczh0.png

292mq90.png
301n0pl.png
r9psu1.png

35m1iyr.png
1fk1dt.png
opr1g5.png

--> Reviews
IGN - 9.0
The controls work now, the dictionary is as impressive as ever, and the ability to tack adjectives onto your objects increases your creative possibilities tenfold.

1Up - 91
An interesting, engaging, witty game that takes full advantage of its portable platform's strengths.

Games Radar - 90
A fantastic game. It approaches puzzle solving in a very open-ended manner that increases the game's replay value dramatically and the overall novelty from the first title continues to entertain in this sequel with the new adjectives system.

Joystiq - 90
If you were ever excited about the premise, this is the pure, near-flawless expression of it. And now that we've seen that 5th Cell can back up astounding innovation with great design, I can't wait to see what will spring from its notepad next.

GameInformer - 88
Super Scribblenauts still stands head and shoulders above its puzzle brethren in terms of innovation and originality. The ability to tackle puzzles again to find new solutions, the addition of a puzzle creator, and special levels that focus on action-oriented play give Maxwell's adventure surprising longevity.

Gamespot - 6.5
Super Scribblenauts wastes its amazing object-creation mechanic. The huge improvement to the core mechanics may lead you to believe this is a better experience than the rough-around-the-edges original, but that is sadly not the case. The levels are so restrictive that things spiral down into boring territory rather quickly, forcing you to think of ultraspecific solutions instead of letting your imagination take control. The wealth of creative ideas at your fingertips feels like a cruel tease here because you're rarely able to take advantage of them. Super Scribblenauts is still fun if you enjoy tinkering around in the sandbox mode, but the bland puzzles in the single-player levels don't live up to their incredible potential.

--> News
With only a couple of days left, you don't have a lot of time to preorder the game at Gamestop in order to grab a copy of these bad boys:

34np6xf.jpg

Also, if you're near the Hollywood area on October 10th, you may want to check out this event to grab the game early and attend a Scribblenauts party!

2it5yk6.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
I've got my preorder all ready! I had been kind of ignoring October since it was a long time to wait, but it's here!

sl4t1l.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SirPenguin said:
--> News
With only a couple of days left, you don't have a lot of time to preorder the game at Gamestop in order to grab a copy of these bad boys:

http://i54.tinypic.com/34np6xf.jpg

Just so everybody knows exactly what these are, they're a set of fake headphones with little tiny bands that you can slide a pair of supplied cheapo depot ear buds into.

So it's like wearing a set of ear buds and actual heaphones simultaneously. There's no reason you would ever, ever want to do this. Just keep the fluffy headphones as a prop and throw the ear-rape-phones away.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll definitely buy it when I'm back in business with my 3DS. The fixed controls are enough to take this one to the next level, all the other stuff is just icing on the cake.
It's interesting to see how this one is arrive with little fan fare after the insane hype of the first, especially since it's gonna be a better game.

Are there any pre-order bonuses? Seems like the game came out of nowhere so I'm not aware of what offers might be out there. Still, it's only 4 days, I'll probably just walk into a store and buy it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I haven't even played the first one yet. I put off buying a DS until the 3DS came out. I guess I'll just go right into the sequel.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
SapientWolf said:
I haven't even played the first one yet. I put off buying a DS until the 3DS came out. I guess I'll just go right into the sequel.
A good choice. The first was interesting but flawed. This one just looks fun.

I wonder if the blob is still almost invincible in this game. I kind like some of the strangely powerful animals in the game like Longcat and Blob. They were fun to mess around with.

Takao

Banned
I didn't enjoy the first one at all, but saw potential. I will wait for a sale before contemplating this one.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm down for a second round.
Sign me up.

Looks like I'll have to change my preorder from Amazon to GS.
It'll go well with the rooster cap.

Kaldea

Will buy as soon as I have money again. Too many games bought all at once. :lol

Loved the first and I can't wait for this one!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I think I'll pick this game up when I get a 3DS next year. I'll already be spending an outrageous amount of money that day... $20-$30 more couldn't hurt.

JazzmanZ

I loved the first one with the exception of the horrible controls and the action stages mostly being solved using wings and walls.

But it seems this sequel solves those problems for me :)
Can't wait to get it!

I cant wait to play the first game I have work in! :D

As one of the people who draw some of the objects, I can say that there is so many little humorous jokes hidden in the words thats it almost impossible to discover all. :lol

Nicktals said:
Ended up skipping the first after the lukwarm response...will probably pick this up next weekend.

Same, apart from the part where I'll be picking it up next weekend, damn being unemployed :lol

Where's our hype man Jackson up in this?!?

ElFly

Even though the original was deeply flawed, I got a lot of fun from it. Will prolly buy this one.

Do we have any word whether the NPCs actually do stuff? Like, a baseball player in front of a baseball would, you know, throw the ball?

ZeroGravity

I might get this. I really loved the first Scribblenauts but the difficulty coupled with my lack of imagination meant I really couldn't get the most enjoyment out of it.

ghibli99

No game in recent memory disappointed me as much as Scribblenauts, but I'm glad 5th Cell listened and are making changes, particularly to the control scheme. I'm looking forward to this one. :)

If the reviews and user feedback say this game actually isn't so frustrating you want to destroy the cartridge, I'll probably pick it up.

Green Scar said:
Same, apart from the part where I'll be picking it up next weekend, damn being unemployed :lol

Where's our hype man Jackson up in this?!?
Jackson is partying it up in Hollywood this weekend, as will some other 5TH Cell duders I'm sure. Speaking of which, anyone going to that weekend event? I'd be great to hear some impressions before release

SirPenguin said:
Jackson is partying it up in Hollywood this weekend, as will some other 5TH Cell duders I'm sure. Speaking of which, anyone going to that weekend event? I'd be great to hear some impressions before release

I saw him replying in the other thread just this morning.

Everything I've read about this game sounds great but I just can't spend the money on a sequel for something I played so little of. I'll probably pick it up around Winter after some games I want to play currently are out.

The Technomancer

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Can I fix it Technomancer?
http://imgur.com/BS80A.png[IMG]

Now he is a real Scribblenauts! :D[/QUOTE]
Hehe, that is better. I'd put it in if I felt like doing the entire "adding to gif" process again, thanks.

I'm glad I know of a better store to get it from this time... I remember when the original came out, Google Maps directed me to some ghetto Gamestop in a poorer part of town... anyway, I would love to pick this up, but I'm trying to save my money and am also kinda addicted to Team Fortress 2 at the moment, so I probably won't be buying any more video games for a while...

toythatkills said:
Unfortunately, Scribblenauts was a bit too new at the time. I lost count of the amount of times I had to say "Maxwell. From Scribblenauts. It's on the DS!" :D
This year should be easier. My entire family is looking forward to the sequel, and it seems like a lot of people know of the game now

The Technomancer

SirPenguin said:
This year should be easier. My entire family is looking forward to the sequel, and it seems like a lot of people know of the game now
I wonder how much the original sold. It was confirmed to have broken a million.

Top Bottom