• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Scribblenauts: Avoid the obvious adjective jokes |OT|

Beat the game today. Still have to beat the special levels though. I got mad at the party level for a while because the game just wouldn't accept any of the party supplies I spawned, then I realized it was a kids' party and maybe my time in college had warped my perceptions of what a party is (I was trying to make a pong table and have a DJ and dancing and beverages and stuff). Some time I want to play a game of Mad Libs using Maxwell's Notebook to generate my words for me. Another gripe: What's with the music not looping properly sometimes? And a question: When you go to the future with the time machine, who is Cole Phillips? I thought he might be from 5th Cell's next game, Hybrid, but "hybrid" doesn't work as a word... Anyway, now I'm basically just playing around in the playground attaching ridiculous adjectives to stuff. Apparently a "dirty skeptic" is just as unkillable as an atheist. Next I want to go back to that Super Scribblenauts thread I made last year and take pictures of all the noun/adjective combinations people thought of that actually worked...

TruthJunky said:
Do we know how many copies the game sold, roughly?
I'd like to know this, too, considering the first one made it to a million...

surprised this hasn't been posted anywhere:

tmp1h.gif

The original scribblenauts just came out this year in Japan. It won the game designers award at TGS(one of two western titles to win an award this year)

Interesting note: in the general voting it apparently hardly received any votes, regular users weren't well aware of the title.

I ended up getting this one based on the buzz (didn't play the first one, heard this one was better) and didn't really enjoy it. Ah well. Very cool game idea though.

Shiggy

This game clearly has the worst localisation I've ever had to face. Minor errors include the lack of keyboard adjustments and the lack of special signs such as ß in official objectives (for example we've got the word Straße for street, which is displayed as Strae).
It's a bit worse that the game just doesn't know various words. The objects often exist, but the translators did not bother to look for different words for the same thing. Or at times they just use direct translations which clearly do not fit. Warner must have chosen the cheap route.

In one puzzle you're Santa and one child is described as naughty. I've yet to find another solution for that, but thanks to some FAQ I found out that coal works. I've never heard about naughty kids getting coal for Christmas and Google did not show too many results in German, with most talking about traditions in other countries. Scribblenauts is a game where a good localisation matters...
Edit: Paper also works for whatever reason.

Rapstah

This game clearly has the worst localisation I've ever had to face. Minor errors include the lack of keyboard adjustments and the lack of special signs such as ß in official objectives (for example we've got the word Straße for street, which is displayed as Strae).
It's a bit worse that the game just doesn't know various words. The objects often exist, but the translators did not bother to look for different words for the same thing. Or at times they just use direct translations which clearly do not fit. Warner must have chosen the cheap route.

In one puzzle you're Santa and one child is described as naughty. I've yet to find another solution for that, but thanks to some FAQ I found out that coal works. I've never heard about naughty kids getting coal for Christmas and Google did not show too many results in German, with most talking about traditions in other countries. Scribblenauts is a game where a good localisation matters...

Yep, it's got some of the worst localisation ever. It's literally just a translation run on the word list. It's worthless.

Blizzard

Banned

I got that one right away, but that's because I live in the United States and coal is the super standard traditional answer for what bad kids would get for Christmas.

Sorry you had to deal with the bad localization though. :( I actually pulled this game out again over Christmas break and have finished almost all the puzzles (I only lack the S2 challenge levels), and I think I have about 60% of the merits.

Even with all the flaws the game has in terms of some combinations not doing what you might expect, or animations not being there, or puzzles involving guessing specific words, I still think it's a very unique game and one of the most ambitious games for the DS. Most of the puzzles are even reasonable which makes it perhaps more impressive.

I don't regret getting the original or this one...but of course I have a Scribblenauts avatar so I'm biased. :p

Shiggy

I got that one right away, but that's because I live in the United States and coal is the super standard traditional answer for what bad kids would get for Christmas.

Don't know whether this has become entirely clear. I play this game in German and "Kohle" (German word for coal) is just nothing I or even my family/friends have heard about. Other words which would've fit in Germany did not work as the localisation is a word-by-word translation, just like Rapstah said.

Sorry you had to deal with the bad localization though. :( I actually pulled this game out again over Christmas break and have finished almost all the puzzles (I only lack the S2 challenge levels), and I think I have about 60% of the merits.

Even with all the flaws the game has in terms of some combinations not doing what you might expect, or animations not being there, or puzzles involving guessing specific words, I still think it's a very unique game and one of the most ambitious games for the DS. Most of the puzzles are even reasonable which makes it perhaps more impressive.

I don't regret getting the original or this one...but of course I have a Scribblenauts avatar so I'm biased. :p

I think the game itself is done very well. Some puzzles are a bit boring and I would've wished for some more variety, but apart from that and localisation it's one of the best 3rd party games I've played. Of course, it's not Nintendo quality, but for a 3rd party it's just fine.

Blizzard

Banned
Don't know whether this has become entirely clear. I play this game in German and "Kohle" (German word for coal) is just nothing I or even my family/friends have heard about. Other words which would've fit in Germany did not work as the localisation is a word-by-word translation, just like Rapstah said.
Oh I understand, that's why I said I was sorry you have to deal with bad localization. I was just saying it was an obvious answer in its native region so that's why some people probably wouldn't have issues with the answer.

Top Bottom