• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Scribblenauts: Avoid the obvious adjective jokes |OT|

Seems like both Jackson and Edison Yan (the main concept artist behind Scribblenauts) are signing things at the launch event in Hollywood

atomsk

Party Pooper
got a text from gamestop saying it would be in 12:01am Tuesday.

I have my doubts my gamestop will be open at midnight, nor will I be awake

SirPenguin said:
Seems like both Jackson and Edison Yan (the main concept artist behind Scribblenauts) are signing things at the launch event in Hollywood

There are some pictures of the event at Go Nintendo.

Picked it up today in New York. Impressions coming later.

download2323232.jpg

To give you some perspective: I played part 1 and enjoyed it, even though it was flawed.

Also, I believe I was the first person to post about getting the first game, and now, I'm the first for the second.

Jackson, I request, nay demand to be in part 3. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Damn...my schedule is swamped tomorrow...I'm trying to figure out when I'll have an hour to go snag it.
Yeah, I could go before work, but I'm thinking I'll try to take a really long lunch to head to the mall and get it, and MAYBE they'll still have silly earphones left. :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
atomsk said:
got a text from gamestop saying it would be in 12:01am Tuesday.

I have my doubts my gamestop will be open at midnight, nor will I be awake

Medal of Honor midnight opening is happening tonight. You'll be able to pick up Super Scribblenauts as well.

Blizzard

Banned
ZealousD said:
Medal of Honor midnight opening is happening tonight. You'll be able to pick up Super Scribblenauts as well.
Ah, that explains it. The GameStop that I preordered from is in a mall so I figured it wouldn't be open at midnight, but he did ask if my preorder was for Medal of Honor. At any rate, he took down my name to hold a pair of earphones for me, so I should be able to get it tomorrow at a reasonable hour!

So far, so very good. Control issues are non-existent. The levels appear painstakingly constructed, unlike part 1 where action stages sometimes felt randomly generated aesthetically, and adjectives make the overall experience feel fresh once again.

Beyond that, there have been a lot of great tweaks, including a merit system that actually makes sense now (you can see what you need to do to unlock each one from the main menu; you get money for unlocking them), a level editor that seems super deep, a progress bar in stages, so that you can see how many things you need to do to get the star.

In short, this is what part 1 should've been. I hope people give it a chance, but I'm afraid too many of them were burned on part 1. The gross lack of hype, especially when you compare this thread to part 1's, is readily apparent.

Jintor

It's amazing how much better the game plays when you don't have to worry about Maxwell plumetting off a ledge while you try and grab a girder or something :lol

Man, stupid review copy getting routed to someone else while I was away :T Better go place that preorder...

Vyse The Legend said:
So far, so very good. Control issues are non-existent. The levels appear painstakingly constructed, unlike part 1 where action stages sometimes felt randomly generated aesthetically, and adjectives make the overall experience feel fresh once again.

Beyond that, there have been a lot of great tweaks, including a merit system that actually makes sense now (you can see what you need to do to unlock each one from the main menu; you get money for unlocking them), a level editor that seems super deep, a progress bar in stages, so that you can see how many things you need to do to get the star.

In short, this is what part 1 should've been. I hope people give it a chance, but I'm afraid too many of them were burned on part 1. The gross lack of hype, especially when you compare this thread to part 1's, is readily apparent.
That leaves me feeling pretty excited, especially re: the level design.

Still no more reviews, eh? Embargo must be for release day. I hate that. I also hate working a 8:00 - 5:00 job, as I cannot figure out a way to swoop in and pick up SS before or during work. It'll have to be after, totally after my morning and afternoon bus commute. Rargh!

SirPenguin said:
That leaves me feeling pretty excited, especially re: the level design.

Still no more reviews, eh? Embargo must be for release day. I hate that. I also hate working a 8:00 - 5:00 job, as I cannot figure out a way to swoop in and pick up SS before or during work. It'll have to be after, totally after my morning and afternoon bus commute. Rargh!

It goes without saying that I've only done the first 12 stages. There's still plenty of time for the levels to devolve into sparse, chaotic environments. :lol

However, I'm hopeful, and I'm getting the "quality over quantity" vibe, for sure.

Vyse The Legend said:

Yep, that is what I was thinking. The team has been putting so many good things in this one, and trying to work all the issues the first had, that is sad that people are not going to give the game a chance, becuase of the hype of the first.

The good thing is that not all the sales of the first one were about the hype, they were good ads, even in spain, there was info in the tv news about the game. It sold a lot too children, etc... becuase it was also a good didactic game.

Vyse The Legend said:

Awesome. Great to see all the issues have been addressed.

jiien

I was one of those very excited for the first, but ended up passing after hearing horror stories. I feel like I owe the team to get this one though.

The fact that they listened to the complaints is cool, and one good impression in this thread so far is good enough for me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Alas! Amazon shipped my copy early.
So I'm not going to bother canceling it for a late GS preorder.
No headphones for me, to go with the awesome rooster cap.
*sad face*

rpmurphy

jiien said:
I was one of those very excited for the first, but ended up passing after hearing horror stories. I feel like I owe the team to get this one though.

The fact that they listened to the complaints is cool, and one good impression in this thread so far is good enough for me.
Yeah, same. I passed on the game since I had other stuff to play. But this time around for the sequel, the purchase appears to be irresistible.

I just came back from a thread on /v/ where apparently people already have the ROM. Poor Jackson. :'[

But funny enough it made me really want to buy the game after seeing all the pics! :D

Jackson

rpmurphy said:
I just came back from a thread on /v/ where apparently people already have the ROM. Poor Jackson. :'[

But funny enough it made me really want to buy the game after seeing all the pics!

Last year it was out 4 days early, so 1 day early is a win for me. :)

jarosh

i have the us version pre-ordered. the dollar is so unbelieveable shitty right now, that despite the super weak euro and the pound that never seems to recover anyway, it's actually cheaper for me to get it from the us - almost a month before the euro release. yay! i think that hasn't been the case in like 10 years.

i hope there are no dsi specific features though...? the game isn't region locked on dsis, right? jackson?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, just got back with my copy:
1684S.jpg

I've got class though, so impression will be forthcoming.

EDIT: Holy hell. I took just a moment to step into the level editor...looks insane. I can't wait to figure it out.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Vyse The Legend said:

I'm going to give it a chance, but that chance is going to happen via message board talk for at least a week or two. Sure, I've heard that they improved a ton of things, but I heard the first one was amazing as well. Sure, the first impressions now that people are getting their hands on it are positive, but that was the same for the first game as well (people were GUSHING after playing at conventions).

I want it to be good. I hope it's good to fulfill the promise of the first. But there's no way I'm going day one again.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I regrettable bought the original over Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, at launch. I'll be waiting for this title to go down in price before I lay my hands on it, if the reviews turn out to be decent. The gameplay in the original really turned me off, and I have no desire to pay full price for this despite the promises of improvements.

Lijik

I have the game but havent spent too much time in the main mode (I've cleared a few levels and I bought the Obama skin), I've been having too much fun dicking around in the playground.

First thing I typed in was Super Neogaf which creates a sentient neogaf logo that will fly around and fight stuff for you.

mantidor

So should I cancel my order of scribblenauts and get this instead? do the games compliment each other or super scriblenauts just makes the first one obsolete?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
UGH. Work needs to be over so I can pick up my copy of the game. (I preordered two so I can get two different headphones. =D)

Oh, btw Jackson, I totally have a poster autographed by you hanging in my room. Brittany gave me a big goodie-bag before I took off at PAX. I'm thinking of building a Scribblenauts shrine. =P

Congrats again to Jackson and 5th Cell. :)

Chairhome

Joystiq gave it a favorable review, saying that fans that were disappointed in the first one but excited about the premise should give it a chance, since this one fixes pretty much all flaws. I might have to pick this up now....
mantidor said:
So should I cancel my order of scribblenauts and get this instead? do the games compliment each other or super scriblenauts just makes the first one obsolete?
I'd just go with Super.

Lijik

mantidor said:
With the limited time I've spent with it, I can't think of a good reason to go back to the first.
I guess if you wanted more puzzles maybe owning both would be a good idea? Otherwise, go with just Super.

Hmm, still some minor oddities here and there. I created a condo and the guy didn't consider it a home. Oh well, minor issue really. The fun sometimes is trying to come up with stuff the designers didn't think of anyway.

bard

Waiting on my pre-order to arrive, thought I'd ask this here since I can't find an answer elsewhere: is the game friendly to left handers? I know d-pad controls are available, but will ABXY also work?

oblo

I've had it pre-ordered since it was possible at our store, still two weeks away here in Europe though, really loved the concept of the first, here's hoping I will actually love playing the Super one.

4.5 out of 5 from Joystiq.

It's a shame it had to shake out like this, but I would really caution those underwhelmed by the original against skipping out on Super Scribblenauts. If you were ever excited about the premise, this is the pure, near-flawless expression of it. And now that we've seen that 5th Cell can back up astounding innovation with great design, I can't wait to see what will spring from its notepad next.

1Up gave it an A-

It's not that Super Scribblenauts has completely reinvented the portable puzzle game, it just comes close to perfecting the franchise's own innovative take upon it.

MTV

It's true that there are things to complain about, but it is equally true that "Super Scribblenauts" is a superlative experience and in every way a better game than its predecessor. If you have any love at all for last year's release, there's simply nothing not to like about the improvements made to this latest entry.

Gameinformer: 8.75

Super Scribblenauts still stands head and shoulders above its puzzle brethren in terms of innovation and originality. The ability to tackle puzzles again to find new solutions, the addition of a puzzle creator, and special levels that focus on action-oriented play give Maxwell’s adventure surprising longevity.

Gamepro: 4/5

PROS: Adjectives further expand this creative and innovative experience; controls finally match the quality of the concept; hint system helps in major binds.
CONS: Much smaller number of levels than the original; hints are sometimes too vague; would've liked more extras beyond level editor and player skins.

komojo

Neo Member
bard said:
Waiting on my pre-order to arrive, thought I'd ask this here since I can't find an answer elsewhere: is the game friendly to left handers? I know d-pad controls are available, but will ABXY also work?
Yes. ABXY controls work the same as the d-pad.

Shiggy

Originally I wanted to wait for the original to have a price decrease. But then the sequel was already leaked last November and I decided to wait for that ... now I hope to get this one at least :D

Btw, is 5th Cell releasing another title this year?
(2011) Unannounced Original IP (XBLA): TBA
(2010) Unannounced Original IP (Unannounced): TBA
(2010) Super Scribblenauts (Nintendo DS): Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Jackson

EvilMario said:
I'll be waiting for this title to go down in price before I lay my hands on it, if the reviews turn out to be decent.

You'll be waiting a while, original Scribblenauts is still selling at full price. :)

Shiggy

Jackson said:
You'll be waiting a while, original Scribblenauts is still selling at full price. :)

Depends on his location, its price decreased pretty fast in Europe. It's really cheap over here nowadays and has been re-released as a budget title.
Btw, did the same guys handle the localisation?

Top Bottom