• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Scribblenauts: Avoid the obvious adjective jokes |OT|

Machine

So much entertainment can be found just playing around. I time travelled to the old west and managed to turn the invincible sheriff into an invincible undead extinguished petrified poisoned frog. I'm now motivated to see what other torments I can visit upon him.

Mike M

Nick N
SapientWolf said:
Maybe microscopic pixel then.
Molecular pixel did the trick.

EDIT: Holy SHIT do these special constellation levels suck. Everything that was wrong with the action levels in the first one distilled and amplified into a non-stop barrage of spikes and exploding barrel death traps. 2-9 especially seems impossible, the Starite is directly on top of an exploding barrel underneath some other exploding barrels. Not enough room to fly, can't move the starite without destroying it, can't come at it from above without blowing up the barrels.

This shit ain't fun :mad:. Gonna be EXTRA pissed if it turns out to be a level with a gold crown...

Cyndar

Neo Member
Just got the game today. And beat all of the standard levels. Not sure if I'm going to regret that.

One of the things I loved was the adjective 'incredible'. When I realized that it made things larger and angry when they took damage, I figured out the reference.

So I made an Incredible Hulk. Even though it wasn't what I was expecting, it put a smile on my face.

Also unlocks the 'Ginormous' merit.

Blizzard

Banned
Cyndar said:
Just got the game today. And beat all of the standard levels. Not sure if I'm going to regret that.

One of the things I loved was the adjective 'incredible'. When I realized that it made things larger and angry when they took damage, I figured out the reference.

So I made an Incredible Hulk. Even though it wasn't what I was expecting, it put a smile on my face.

Also unlocks the 'Ginormous' merit.
......I never made the connection, that explains a LOT. Though, not the whole interaction with the purple polka dot flying bathrub or whatever, and exploding stars. :lol

Also, I assume the point of the special levels is to be difficult. I remember Jackson saying that some levels would make people curse his name, but maybe that was just for the first game. :p

Cyndar

Neo Member
Also, I remember someone asking about memes, and 'double rainbow' was mentioned as something to check for. 'Double rainbow' doesn't work, but use 'rainbow rainbow'.

seady

Enjoy this game very very much, and this is coming from me who don't even like the first game.

The main improvement here isn't the control. It's the puzzle types. In the original Scribblenauts, there are a ton of platforming - which gets even more frustrating when it had such horrible control scheme.

In this sequel, while there are still sprinkle of platforming levels, majority of them are levels that don't have any platforming elements. They instead only require you to think and create.
Honestly I still think the keypad control aren't that great and still feel loose, but there are very few instances that require me to move my characters around a lot anyway so I never notice any issue, and allow me to fully enjoy the puzzle stages.

Nishastra

Banned
Mike M said:
EDIT: Holy SHIT do these special constellation levels suck. Everything that was wrong with the action levels in the first one distilled and amplified into a non-stop barrage of spikes and exploding barrel death traps. 2-9 especially seems impossible, the Starite is directly on top of an exploding barrel underneath some other exploding barrels. Not enough room to fly, can't move the starite without destroying it, can't come at it from above without blowing up the barrels.
I found most of the special levels to be really easy. A good number of them are immediately defeated by giving yourself fast flying boots.

S2-9 was the only one that really gave me trouble. I did it by making a large (immovable invulnerable) air vent to push the spikey balls to the left, so they'd fall into the lava at the bottom. This also removes most of the barrels.

For the ones just above the starite, I used (immovable) magnets to raise them up and make them explode out of range of the starite. At this point I dug down from where the barrels were and got the starite from above.

It might be wise to remove the unlit fire with a big balloon or something. The barrels actually blew up just as I got the starite, but as soon as you touch it you've won, so it didn't matter :p

Mike M

Nick N
Nishastra said:
I found most of the special levels to be really easy. A good number of them are immediately defeated by giving yourself fast flying boots.

Most of them aren't that hard, no, but they pretty much all still suck. The fact that so many of them can be beat by just equipping [synonym for fast][flying object] and bum rushing the Starite kind of speaks to that point. It just harkens back to the worst aspects of the first game where you would eventually find yourself using the same handful of items on every level and solutions might work one time but not the next because the physics were wonky and unpredictable.

Plus the S2 constellation is about 5 levels too long.

Mike M

Nick N
Now gold crowning 8-7 is driving me up a wall. Can't figure out a third way to make a mummy (dead pharoah + linen bandage and deceased king were my first two).

Cyndar

Neo Member
Mike M said:
Now gold crowning 8-7 is driving me up a wall. Can't figure out a third way to make a mummy (dead pharoah + linen bandage and deceased king were my first two).

Undead Man works for the person.

Machine

Mike M said:

I actually managed to make a mummy three ways. I'm having more trouble coming up with three ways to describe prisoner clothing.

Nishastra

Banned
Mike M said:
I've got the person part down, I just can't get anything other than bandage and sarcophagus to complete it.
Tiny Pyramid

Machine said:
I actually managed to make a mummy three ways. I'm having more trouble coming up with three ways to describe prisoner clothing.
It doesn't have to actually be clothing. You can get more abstract. For example, I used
handcuffs
and
ball and chain

radjago

While scouring the web for any coverage of PAX 2010 on Friday morning, I came across this picture on Twitpic.

http://twitpic.com/2kupe9

It just so happened that I rode the train to PAX East with two guys pictured. I DMed the guy who posted the pic and told him to say hi for me. In a way, Scribblenauts brought us together again.

I started playing some of the Special levels, just to see if they're as horrible as they're being described. They are DEFINITELY pulled straight out of Scribblenauts 1 level design and philosophy, which is not good at all, but the changed controls/adjectives/all the other improvements really shine here.

I'm also really impressed with how diverse these levels are, all things considered. S1-3 is especially inventive. Reminds me of that classic logic problem

edit: S1-4 was really awful. though.
The real starite shines, negating the whole point of the level

edit 2: AND it's a crown level? The object doesn't even change.

BooJoh

I felt like I blasted through the main levels faster than the first game, but everything else about Super Scribblenauts is an improvement. The adjectives make for so many more possibilities.

I like the larger number of avatars. Though if there's ever a Scribblenauts 3, it would be cool if we could use any character we've ever summoned as an avatar. Also the "bingo" and "tic-tac-toe" style levels feel like they could be a completely separate mode.

For the smallest object merit I used
microscopic pimple

I haven't found a size modifier bigger than
gargantuan

I noticed you can control an RC car directly. I've been searching for an adjective that will let me do the same with any object, but if it exists I haven't found it yet.

crocoduck

Jackson, did 5th Cell send you guys to LA for the launch event, or do you have an LA studio too? 'Cause if you guys have a studio down here...

Mike M

Nick N
I had been gold crowning all the levels as I went along until I got stuck on the mummy formula, so I then just plowed through the rest of the game. Turns out it goes very quickly when you're not replaying the levels a bunch of times immediately : )

In retrospect after completing the game...

+ The addition of adjectives was obviously a game changer. I was a tremendous booster of the first game despite it's flaws and still loved it even though many of the objects didn't behave as a lot of people wanted to. Adding adjectives is like... the awesome accomplishment of the first game squared. It really is incredible.

+ Vastly improved control scheme and camera. Granted, much of the time there's not a lot of need to move Maxwell around in many of the levels, but it was still a welcome addition (although I was really used to moving the camera with the D-Pad, and that took me a while to break the habit)

+ Life bars! No more wondering who's going to die first!

+ Change in emphasis from equally split between action stages and puzzle stages to mostly puzzle stages. The puzzle stages were also much improved over the first game, with a great many instances to prompt you to write things that you really wouldn't have much or any occasion to write in any other situation. I especially loved a lot of the adjective stages, would have liked to see more of those, actually.

+ Fairly decent challenge. Playing the first time through most of the levels is cake, but on some of the levels by the time you get to the third round of the gold crown attempt and all the low hanging fruit is gone, you really have to wrack your brain.

+ Improved behavior of objects. I don't know if the physics are actually improved or there was just less opportunity for them to go all wacky with the less emphasis on action, but I had far fewer instances of things like boxes tethered to Maxwell randomly flying into orbit and dragging me along to my death for no reason. The ability to adhere "sticky" objects to any surface was a super welcome addition too.

That said...

- Still buggy. Though with a game like this, it's pretty much impossible to bug test it completely I guess. I had a few instances where the game crashed for no reason I could determine (Not like adding stilts to a mannequin in the first game where there was a definite action I could tell crashed the game).

- Hint system wasn't so hot. They almost never told me anything I didn't already know, and sometimes were really counter-intuitive. Like the a previously mentioned level with the mummy equation where it tells you that you need a piece of clothing to complete it. A
sarcophagus
or a
tiny pyramid
is not a piece of clothing. Or the museum level where it tells you to spawn works of art and history, then tells you that you've already completed those categories. Or the damned tooth fairy level where the hint is "what do parents do to get kids go to bed?"
Why does putting pajamas on MAXWELL make the kid go to bed, but not on the KID? My parents never went to bed to make me go to bed...

- Special constellations were just awful. Not much variety, almost nothing but some death trap combination of spikes, exploding barrels, tripwires and air vents. I miss stuff like racing the leprechaun in the first one.

Still would recommend it to everyone I know.

BooJoh

Mike M said:
Or the damned tooth fairy level where the hint is "what do parents do to get kids go to bed?"
Why does putting pajamas on MAXWELL make the kid go to bed, but not on the KID? My parents never went to bed to make me go to bed...
Heh.. I had a little trouble with that one. Apparently a tranq gun isn't good enough ;) I ended up giving him
warm milk

The place that I got stuck the longest was the police training level, the part with the dog.
I didn't realize I had to put something dangerous in the suitcase, then take it out, then reward the dog
. Took me a while to realize I missed the second step.

I'll probably start doing crowns and specials next time I play. I've been spending tons of time on the playground screen. :D

Apoc29

The game has a strange sense of what certain entities "like". For example there's a level where you have to equip something a butler likes. I equipped money, because what butler wouldn't want more money? He didn't like it. Hint said to equip something he would use to clean with. I thought, why the hell would he like to see cleaning supplies? He came to this theatre to watch a show with his cheetah buddy to get away from work. And I tried a variety of common household cleaning implements which he did not like. The thing that finally worked for me was
tuxedo
. Really?

Despite those kind of flaws, the game is still fun otherwise and much improved over the first game.

WEGGLES said:
It turns out my first part was wrong

dead man
not
royal man... mummies were kings :{

I just got that level. I had
Pharaoh
. I was getting pissed cause I had to google what mummies were wrapped in. I don't want to be educate

I don't understand why so many of these puzzles are restricted on "correct" logical answers, to me that goes against the creative nature of the game.

I had to give Maxwell something a duck would like, he was not interested in a
nest, egg or baby duck
for some reason.

Mike M

Nick N
The "wear something the judges will like" is really more of a "spawn items that share attributes ascribed to the judges."

So a cheetah won't like a suit made of bacon, but digs fur.

Took me a few minutes to figure that out.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
1063238005_rSdRN-L.jpg

jarosh

what i learned today:

- "insane knives" are very dangerous things
- do not pet a regular hamster in the vicinity of a "giant jealous hamster"
- if you create a "tasty litterbox" and let a cat do its business in it, then spawn a "starving monster" it will eat the litterbox and get covered in poo in the process
- even "friendly plumbers" will eventually turn into "offended plumbers" and walk away if they have to fix "arrogant toilets"
- the babies of "gargantuan pregnant robot shower curtains" usually have a short and cruel life

Mike M

Nick N
Incidentally if no one's figured this out yet, "President" now spawns a Scribblenauted Obama. Big whoop, right? He's a visible avatar choice (though not unlocked) right from the start.

However "Republican" and "Democrat" now spawn Palin and Michelle Obama respectively.

Thought those were nifty Easter eggs.

migulic

So, is this game much better than the first one? I own Scribblenauts but I kind of lost interest in it after a few weeks, never got really far (the game became annoying in quite a few aspects after a while). Should I just sell the original and buy this game?

jgkspsx

jarosh said:
what i learned today:

- "insane knives" are very dangerous things
- do not pet a regular hamster in the vicinity of a "giant jealous hamster"
- if you create a "tasty litterbox" and let a cat do its business in it, then spawn a "starving monster" it will eat the litterbox and get covered in poo in the process
- even "friendly plumbers" will eventually turn into "offended plumbers" and walk away if they have to fix "arrogant toilets"
- the babies of "gargantuan pregnant robot shower curtains" usually have a short and cruel life
<3

Piano

Banned
Finally picked this up yesterday. Really enjoying it so far - and have been impressed at the extent of the vocabulary. Was able to slay a dragon with a 'noble dragon slayer'

Been playing this and gold starring everything.

A previous poster described it perfectly. When it works, it's 11/10 GOTY. When something you swear SHOULD work and doesn't, then you get pissed.

Example: The mummy can't wear ribbon, but can wear toilet paper?

I'm loving the action S levels, as they hark back to the older style from the first game. I know part of the problem is that you end up using a lot of the same items (ropes, chains, air vents, fans, etc.), but you also don't get frustrated because the game insists you solve a puzzle in a certain way.

I loved the first one, and the D-pad controls make this one a much easier experience to handle. It makes me wish for a few more action levels with Maxwell, now that he is so pleasant to control. Many levels don't even use Maxwell, except to pick up the starite.

Anyway, the game has its flaws, but I can't imagine the monumental task of creating a puzzle or level that both restricts you (for challenge) and sets you free to do anything (for fun). If you liked the first one or only disliked it for the controls, I think this is a must play.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I finally got around to playing this. Loving it so far, seems to fix all my problems with the first game.

Was just doing 2-6, and was doing the advance levels. I had already come up with sandwich, pizza, and spaghetti, but was struggling with coming up with a final answer.

I noticed that one row in particular had chocolate and ham in it. In a combination of frustration and genius, I came up with my fourth answer. CHOCOLATE BACON. Nobody said the answers had to be real food!

I love this game. :lol

Jackson

ZealousD said:
So I finally got around to playing this. Loving it so far, seems to fix all my problems with the first game.

Was just doing 2-6, and was doing the advance levels. I had already come up with sandwich, pizza, and spaghetti, but was struggling with coming up with a final answer.

I noticed that one row in particular had chocolate and ham in it. In a combination of frustration and genius, I came up with my fourth answer. CHOCOLATE BACON. Nobody said the answers had to be real food!

I love this game. :lol

Vosges%20Bacon%20Chocolate%20Bar.jpg

ZealousD

You know, I probably should have guessed that after Baconnaise, there would be a bacon everything.

Unicorn

Hey Jackson, I was curious how versatile the objectnaut is. Could it be implemented in a completely different kind of game where each "object" listed in the objectnaught could be a specific action, so say for an action game you incorporate the objectnaught to determine how a character plays to generate a specific outcome? Sort of as a way to make emergent gameplay from a different aspect.

Example I'm pulling out of thin air:
Space game where the player can travel to different plantes and solar systems within a procedural galaxy. During his travels he can buy/sell/trade goods, have space dog fights, discover history and lore of the systems and races of the galaxy, etc.
The player combines two objects - a laser gun and spacerocks to create a new type of gun. Could the objectnaught detect the properties of the two objects and create a new object with fitting properties for the item?

Much like car battery, wire, and corpse together = zombie

Or am I completely off-base with what the objectnaught can do? If so, could you go a bit in-depth in how it works?

/rambling :lol

ZealousD

A lady asks for something healthy?

I give her HEALTHY CHOCOLATE.

A man asks for something spicy?

I give him SPICY ICE CREAM.

A gentlemanlike bear asks for something sweet?

I give him SWEET HABANERO.

Haunted

Nishastra said:
The way I did that one was fairly retarded. I used a wedding dress to get in, then pulled out a stun gun and shot the bride, the groom, and the security guard. I then donned a jetpack, tied myself to the trucker guy, and hauled him to the gift :p
#217 level of awesomeness right there. :lol

Machine said:
So much entertainment can be found just playing around. I time travelled to the old west and managed to turn the invincible sheriff into an invincible undead extinguished petrified poisoned frog. I'm now motivated to see what other torments I can visit upon him.

now I REALLY wanna see a pic of that :lol

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Playing more of this, it really accomplishes what the original inspired to be. Puzzles are fun to re-do and the adjectives add an extra layer of depth. It's too bad this wasn't the first game.

Skipped the first one after the hype backlash but just recently picked this up. I'm liking it a lot so far but I'm sure if I got the original around its launch, the insane hype would've soured me on the experience. The game doesn't live up to that level of hype but it does deliver a lot more than one would expect.

Got some questions though.

Is level sharing limited to FC only? Or are levels uploaded to a server a la Days of Ruin?

Is it possible to beat all of the action based levels (S world ones) without resorting to flight? I realize flight makes the game easy mode but a couple of those action levels seem absurdly tough without flying lol.

What was wrong with the par system from the first game? It seems like it would be an interesting feature as an optional challenge (similar to the advanced levels).

Got this the other day, was disappointed to find some things from the original didn't work the same:
• "Jackson" no longer works
• "NeoGAF" no longer spawns a gamer when interacted with
• I actually miss the camera auto-snapback
Stuff that's better:
• The tutorial, especially how it explains which words are banned
• Adjectives are fun
My friend code is 1549-6091-6235 if anyone wants to send me levels.

cooljeanius said:
Got this the other day, was disappointed to find some things from the original didn't work the same:
• "Jackson" no longer works
• "NeoGAF" no longer spawns a gamer when interacted with
• I actually miss the camera auto-snapback
Stuff that's better:
• The tutorial, especially how it explains which words are banned
• Adjectives are fun
My friend code is 1549-6091-6235 if anyone wants to send me levels.

Because it was never Jackson, you need to write Jeremiah Slackza.
You can spawn ALL the team that worked in the game, it was cool when we had to draw them, even ourselves. I appear when you write
Borja
, and also with the art team down the snow slope in the credits of the game.

You can even get one achievement, behind the scenes I think is called, by spawning 5 members of the team (you can find their names by looking at the credits, as in them they also appear in scribble form).

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Because it was never Jackson, you need to write Jeremiah Slackza.
You can spawn ALL the team that worked in the game, it was cool when we had to draw them, even ourselves. I appear when you write
Borja
, and also with the art team down the snow slope in the credits of the game.

You can even get one achievement, behind the scenes I think is called, by spawning 5 members of the team (you can find their names by looking at the credits, as in them they also appear in scribble form).
In the original Scribblenauts, you could write "Jackson" to get Jeremiah. And yeah, I remember writing a lot of team members in the original to get the achievement, which reminds me, why is Matt Cox still spawnable if he's not in the credits any more? Anyway, I tried writing "Space Pirate Borja" in this game, but apparently "Space" and "Pirate" don't count as adjectives ("Spacey" and "Piratey" also don't work). In general, just the inclusion of adjectives fixes so many of the problems of the first game. A bridge isn't long enough (which isn't a problem in this game, but let's just pretend they're the length they were in the first one again)? Just write "long bridge." A ship too tall to fit through a cave? Write "flat ship." Adjectives really make the game a lot better. One more gripe though: The title screen saving before you start is kinda annoying, because that means you can't just reset it by dropping a nuke like you could in the first game (or by any other method, for that matter).

Top Bottom