• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wi-Fi

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Get online, you jerks! 30 GAFFers on my friends list and everyone is offline T_T

fun games olive

after the first 3 matches , I said fuck it and just started choosing anyone :D

Some funny moments there, Especially when that thing ate my dedede

SuperAndroid17 said:
fun games olive

after the first 3 matches , I said fuck it and just started choosing anyone :D

Some funny moments there, Especially when that thing ate my dedede

Haha, yea. I was just messing around with random characters.

Edit. Sorry for spamming Samus's Down B :lol

MrCheez

Whoever "SPENC" is... thanks for those brawls! We had like .. what... 7 in a row fairly lag-free till we were disconnected?

Was a LOT of fun, thanks! :D

MrCheez said:
Whoever "SPENC" is... thanks for those brawls! We had like .. what... 7 in a row fairly lag-free till we were disconnected?

Was a LOT of fun, thanks! :D

That was me. Seems like 1v1 is fine....i wish 4 player were lag free...

Speaking of 4 player, if anyone wants in on some 4 player action, let me know...I'm going to start a game within the next 10 min.

Friend Code: 5412-9559-6734
Smash Bros Name: HSAMS

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Hey, great games, Masked Man, Cheez, and...um...whoever MPIRE was. :D They were a lot of fun and without a shred of lag. It's just too bad that I had to leave so soon, but alas, I had to get ready for work.

Cheez, if it wasn't for the cannonball in that Halberd match, I totally would have had you. :p

MrCheez

Iam Canadian said:
Hey, great games, Masked Man, Cheez, and...um...whoever MPIRE was. :D They were a lot of fun and without a shred of lag. It's just too bad that I had to leave so soon, but alas, I had to get ready for work.

Cheez, if it wasn't for the cannonball in that Halberd match, I totally[/i] would have had you. :p

:lol That was great. Those were some AMAZING matches. I seriously had as much fun as if I were brawling people right in the same room with me :D All of you guys were a blast to play against...

That said though, I am CRAP at 4 player free for alls compare to how I play 1v1 :lol I need to get you in a 1v1 match, Canadian!!

And Masked Man... WHY IN THE WORLD would you pick Flat Zone 2 as the stage? :lol Was great to play against you too though!

Good games :D

Masked Man

I said wow
Iam Canadian said:

Cheez, if it wasn't for the cannonball in that Halberd match, I totally would have had you. :p

MPIRE = Crimmy

And I guess the lack of lag makes up for my abysmal turn in our FFAs. =/ Great games, though! I enjoyed them, and it was exciting to finally pit brother against brother, haha.

(Haha, that Halberd match was probably my worst EVER. I think that's the one where I fell off 3 times and couldn't recover. It seems Sakurai-san's admonition went unheeded!)

MrCheez said:
:lol That was great. Those were some AMAZING matches. I seriously had as much fun as if I were brawling people right in the same room with me :D All of you guys were a blast to play against...

That said though, I am CRAP at 4 player free for alls compare to how I play 1v1 :lol I need to get you in a 1v1 match, Canadian!!

And Masked Man... WHY IN THE WORLD would you pick Flat Zone 2 as the stage? :lol Was great to play against you too though!

Good games :D

They were quite fun! Believe me, though, I am infinitely worse at FFAs than I am at 1v1s--not like that's saying a whole lot, but I think our matches today proved it, haha.

Ah, I'm sorry about that! I almost always just hit Random Select, and I haven't taken any stages out of the randomizer. I can now say without a doubt, though, that "Lion" is my least favorite Game & Watch game ever. ;)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Nice games Duder and co =). The game disconnected on me at the Shadow Moses level a few seconds after I lost =(. Kinda laggy though

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
kiryogi said:
Haha yeah, you keep dc-ing at the crucial moments duder!

Relix: You got one mean Luigi btw. I was out to get you :D

Yup, Luigi has been my main since Smash 64, I know him like the palm of my hand :D . I actually have another main, Meta Knight, but I am still practicing with him.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Had to leave Nishi and Kyrogi. The lag got too bad for even me to handle, in fact I lost to Snake because of that :lol

kiryogi

Banned
Nishi, relix, sorry that's my end of things. Looks like my sister is @ it again. I'll be available late night if you're still around. I'm ordering FiOS now.

Masked Man

I said wow
OliveJuice said:
Great matches guys, although I have no idea who I was playing against :lol

Haha, I was in there for a time, sucking it up as Lucas. My tag is M@. 'Twas a pleasure, though, and I hope to play again sometime soon. ;)

Nishastra

Banned
Relix said:
Had to leave Nishi and Kyrogi. The lag got too bad for even me to handle, in fact I lost to Snake because of that :lol
I spent half of that first match I was using Snake trying to get a codec, and then when I finally do you run over and HIT ME at the last second, just as it's about to start.

For that, I will never forgive.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Nishastra said:
I spent half of that first match I was using Snake trying to get a codec, and then when I finally do you run over and HIT ME at the last second, just as it's about to start.

For that, I will never forgive.

LOL!! Shit so that's what you were doing?! :lol :lol :lol I thought you couldn't do it on online matches. Shit sorry :lol :lol . I just kept looking at you throwing boxes everywhere and was like WTF?

Btw Kiryogi... that's a good idea =P. Got kinda annoying in many points haha, but don't worry, it was cool =D

Masked Man said:
Haha, I was in there for a time, sucking it up as Lucas. My tag is M@. 'Twas a pleasure, though, and I hope to play again sometime soon. ;)
Oh, was that you I faced at Jungle Japes? I hate that level. :lol

Masked Man

I said wow
OliveJuice said:
Oh, was that you I faced at Jungle Japes? I hate that level. :lol

Yeah, sorry about that, haha. I just select Random and hope for the best. MrCheez already scolded me for "selecting" Flat Zone 2, but it's not totally my fault. =X Regardless, you play a mean Ness--among other characters! I don't hate Jungle Japes as much this time, though, because at least we can swim now.

Masked Man said:
Yeah, sorry about that, haha. I just select Random and hope for the best. MrCheez already scolded me for "selecting" Flat Zone 2, but it's not totally my fault. =X Regardless, you play a mean Ness--among other characters! I don't hate Jungle Japes as much this time, though, because at least we can swim now.

I just got carried off by the current and couldn't make it back. It's even harder adjusting PK Thunder with the input lag.

Masked Man

I said wow
OliveJuice said:
I just got carried off by the current and couldn't make it back. It's even harder adjusting PK Thunder with the input lag.

Oh, believe me: I know. I like to think that even the tiniest bit of lag that I experience is the reason why I randomly am entirely unable to recover using PKT2. Whether that's actually true or not is as of yet undecided. Likewise, I find it really hard to ukemi online, just because any input lag screws up the instant recovery and makes you land like a doofus. It's quite frustrating.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So I totally forgot who I was playing with (TMD was one I think), but we had some great games, especially that final 1 stock 1 v1 on Final Destination with no items =P. Really great games, you are good... one of those few times I get pumped up. =) Had to go though!

scitek

So, uh, 48 of the 64 people I've added have yet to add me. I'm not really enjoying the game at this point since I've pretty much exhausted all its single player goodness. I think a trade-in may be in order.

Nishastra

Banned
scitek said:
So, uh, 48 of the 64 people I've added have yet to add me.
That's not how it works. If they're "Awaiting", that just means you've never seen them online. You don't have to be on their list to join their games.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
The input lag, I've found, is really inconsistent. At times, it's almost instantaneous, while at others, there's almost a full second of lag.

Then again, maybe that's just me acclimating to it. >_>

Masked Man said:
I don't hate Jungle Japes as much this time, though, because at least we can swim now.

Yes, but it's still got Klap Traps. :/

Tendo

What are these utterances I'm hearing of wavebirds causing input lag online? Anyone have input lag with Wii controllers?

scitek

Nishastra said:
That's not how it works. If they're "Awaiting", that just means you've never seen them online. You don't have to be on their list to join their games.

Oh, ok, still the most people I've ever seen online at one time is 4. :/

MrCheez

Hey malfunky, thanks for all the great matches! :)

BTW my friends and I have been trying to get team matches going online... but the problem is you cannot see what teams your opponents over wifi will be on =/ We keep entering the battle with lopsided teams. Anyone know how to get around this?

Malfunky

MrCheez said:
Hey malfunky, thanks for all the great matches! :)

BTW my friends and I have been trying to get team matches going online... but the problem is you cannot see what teams your opponents over wifi will be on =/ We keep entering the battle with lopsided teams. Anyone know how to get around this?

Yeah, definitely.

I kept switching teams because the colors were throwing me off. "Team Battle? Oh shit, why are there 4 colors?" :[]

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
MrCheez,

Sorry I had to split. I've got class in the morning, so I figured it would be wise to get some sleep tonight. Otherwise, great matches all around. You and your friends are pretty damn good if I say so myself. It seemed fairly smooth for the most part too, with a scant few exceptions every once in a while.

Let's play again sometime! :D

MrCheez

Kwokuen said:
MrCheez,

Sorry I had to split. I've got class in the morning, so I figured it would be wise to get some sleep tonight. Otherwise, great matches all around. You and your friends are pretty damn good if I say so myself. It seemed fairly smooth for the most part too, with a scant few exceptions every once in a while.

Let's play again sometime! :D

Yeah man, it was great! Thanks a bunch :) We had a ton of great team matches going there... we even switched team members at one point and the entire time it felt really balanced. Both teams were winning. It was funny... my two friends and I were all in the same room, so when you and I were on a team against them they were getting so mad when we were winning :lol Kept saying "DAMN YOUR TEAMMATE!!" and such :)

GREAT GREAT time! I really can't believe how much time I've already spent playing smash online, and how much of a blast it's been :lol

Heya GAF, I have some technical questions relating to the performance of online Smashing. It's directed to those that either have the technical expertise, or simply have a near-flawless connection when playing the right people, as I need to determine the best way to speed up my performance.

Right know, I have some sort of AT&T DSL. According to my PC, the wired connection gives 100Mbps. My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54GS, which has a wireless data rate of 54Mbps. So, my question is, if your online experience has been great and largely lag-free, what speed is your wireless router broadcasting? Because I suspect that either 54 Mbps isn't fast enough, or my router is too far away from my console and I'm wasting time resending a bunch of lost packets.

The options I'm looking at are:
1) Buy a wired adapter, drag an ethernet cable out to the Wii every time I want to play
2) Get a Hi-gain antenna to ensure the broadcast is crystal-clear.
3) Buy a router with a faster wireless speed.

Your advice is valued. =)

kiryogi

Banned
Ysid: Woo this was a long night. If you couldnt tell I sort of lost it XD Before you came I was relentlessly getting owned by Kaabi's Lucas/Kirby. D: On the flip side though, he compliments you saying you're a real challenge since he's got it. Ha ha. D: I fail.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
kiryogi said:
Ysid: Woo this was a long night. If you couldnt tell I sort of lost it XD Before you came I was relentlessly getting owned by Kaabi's Lucas/Kirby. D: On the flip side though, he compliments you saying you're a real challenge since he's got it. Ha ha. D: I fail.

His Lucas was so annoying :lol Too much PK fire and god that up smash can be hard to avoid when recovering.

What other characters do you like in Brawl? I know ZSS, but man she has almost no knockout power. I dread using Samus' final smash :(

kiryogi

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
His Lucas was so annoying :lol Too much PK fire and god that up smash can be hard to avoid when recovering.

What other characters do you like in Brawl? I know ZSS, but man she has almost no knockout power. I dread using Samus' final smash :(

Others would be well, Peach, Zelda, Fox. Well mainly the ladies for now. I'm still refining/polishing Fox. ZSS's main KO power is that foward B with the whip, if you didn't notice I often try to mix it in somehow. I'm also just starting to use her recovery as a maneuver mid-battle. Meanwhile his Lucas, I'm really not sure what to do about him. XD

his FC: 5155-2587-3826

edit: I feel the same about using ZSS's final smash! lol. I should learn Samus XD

justchris

RocketDarkness said:
Heya GAF, I have some technical questions relating to the performance of online Smashing. It's directed to those that either have the technical expertise, or simply have a near-flawless connection when playing the right people, as I need to determine the best way to speed up my performance.

Right know, I have some sort of AT&T DSL. According to my PC, the wired connection gives 100Mbps. My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54GS, which has a wireless data rate of 54Mbps. So, my question is, if your online experience has been great and largely lag-free, what speed is your wireless router broadcasting? Because I suspect that either 54 Mbps isn't fast enough, or my router is too far away from my console and I'm wasting time resending a bunch of lost packets.

The options I'm looking at are:
1) Buy a wired adapter, drag an ethernet cable out to the Wii every time I want to play
2) Get a Hi-gain antenna to ensure the broadcast is crystal-clear.
3) Buy a router with a faster wireless speed.

Your advice is valued. =)

The speed of your wireless is unlikely to be your problem. I guarantee you the speed of your wireless outclasses your DSL speed by at least 5 times.

One thing you might consider doing is running a constant ping to your Wii. Go into your router's settings, and get what IP address it is sending to your Wii, then from the command prompt in windows type:
Code:
ping -t x

Where x is the ip address of your Wii. Then, while you're online, you can tell how good your connection is by how long it takes to respond (this is much easier if you have your pc in the same room as your Wii, obviously). Your pings should have fairly short times when you're online, but not playing a game. They should increase, but still be fairly constant when you are. If you're getting a lot of "Request Timed Out"s, especially when you're not playing a match, then that means you are getting packetloss to your router, and you may be too far away, or their may be a problem with the router.

kiryogi said:
ZSS's main KO power is that foward B with the whip, if you didn't notice I often try to mix it in somehow.

I'm looking forward to seeing the day when people get good enough to intercept people recovering, use Zamus's Up+B, and sweetspot so that they're spiked downwards...from below! Hahahahah.

But yeah, Zamus badly needs KO options. It's a bit odd, because all of ZSS's tilt attacks are better for knockback and KOing than her smashes. Particularly her Up-tilt. It comes out so fast.

Top Bottom