• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm still surprised that Excitebiker isn't playable yet. Excitebike is a multi-million-selling game designed by Shigeru Miyamoto, there have been a few sequels, and it's still referenced in other games like Mario Kart 8. It's one of those retro games that everybody knows about. Excitebiker would be the perfect mix of unexpected and sensible, like Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer.

I'm surprised that Excitebike assist trophy was removed from Smash 4.

Zubz

Banned
I doubt any of those characters would be in Smash. Mortal Kombat and Danganronpa are way too brutal (and the latter is pretty obscure). Sam & Max is full of mature humour and euphemisms, I somehow doubt Nintendo would want that. And I don't really consider the pair to be fitting otherwise, since they're comic characters, rather than video game characters. The only franchise I can remotely see is Elder Scrolls but... I dunno, it would feel -wrong- to me.

I feel like Bayonetta is the furthest we're gonna go in terms of maturity for both violence and sex (and she's just very sexy; Sam & Max has jokes like "Prison showers. Man if these walls could talk." "I think it's better if they'd keep their mouth shut.").

I dunno, Bayonetta goes p-r-e-t-t-y far. Her torture attack (Also, again, "Torture Attack") for Joys is a barbaric, sexual bisection device that Bayo personally binds/pushes the Joys into. And IIRC, she also individually binds their breasts. Really, anything and everything about the Joys should have been more than enough to keep her out. And yet somehow, she's in a video game alongside Villager and Kirby.

Meanwhile, we have proof Scorpion/Sam & Max can be toned down: they both had Saturday morning cartoons in the 90s. The S&M one even captured the comics'/games' tone pretty well with a Y7 rating! And just like Bayo, we wouldn't see DanganRonpa executions in gameplay. Hell, they can throw in Travis Touchdown (Or maybe Shinobu; Grasshopper was on that list so maybe that Shinobu-led NMH3 is happening?), and a 4-way match between them will still feel like Smash... So long as you forget about their origins (Just like Snake & Bayo!).

Again, I'm only thinking these guys because of that list of Switch supporters (People didn't find Jade a weird suggestion after the BG&E2 rumors, right?), but who else would these companies add if they got involved with Smash? Would WB & TellTale join forces and share Batman? (Fake Edit: Oh, Spike Chunsoft was involved with Fossil Fighters?)

*Remembers Activision (which I'll assume includes Blizzard) is a listed development partner*

Not that it's likely, but I wonder how people would feel about Mei from Overwatch entering Smash. She's not the face of Overwatch -- that'd be Tracer --, but I figure Mei's the more memorable of the two for all the times she's slowly inserted icicles into people's eye sockets. More importantly, creating platforms and barriers is an underutilized concept in a platform fighter and I figure Mei can bring something new to Smash in that regard. At the very least, I see her being a fun doubles character, walling people out, creating additional platforms to jump/up-air chain off of, saving teammates about to fall to their death by giving them something to land on, etc. through ice walls alone.

Hey, hey! I'm not the craziest one here anymore! That said, with Blizzard avoiding Nintendo and with Sony trying to push Crash, an Activision rep would almost certainly mean...

Skylander Spyro is a possibility, however remote, and is a beautiful idea in a monkey paw sort of way.

Sakurai fought to get us Classic Pac-Man when Namco pushed for Cartoon Pac-Man, didn't he? Plus Bayo & Cloud got special Alt. treatments. Maybe Good Spyro could be a costume?

I'm surprised that Excitebike assist trophy was removed from Smash 4.

That really surprised me, too. Sakurai seemed to love pushing Excite Bike/Mach Rider in Melee/Brawl. I wonder what happened?

Ryce

Sakurai fought to get us Classic Pac-Man when Namco pushed for Cartoon Pac-Man, didn't he?
Actually, Sakurai just asked and Namco was okay with it. He said that if Namco were to hypothetically force the modern design on him then he probably wouldn't have included Pac-Man.

I wasn't aware Sam and Max was meant for a mature audience, just assumed it was an everyone type thing.

I have no experience with the series beyond a couple of the TellTale games (including Poker Night) and some episodes of the show I watched on YouTube. Neither of these seemed particularly adult.

Were things a lot raunchier in the old Point n Click games and the old comics?

Zubz

Banned
I wasn't aware Sam and Max was meant for a mature audience, just assumed it was an everyone type thing.

I have no experience with the series beyond a couple of the TellTale games (including Poker Night) and some episodes of the show I watched on YouTube. Neither of these seemed particularly adult.

Were things a lot raunchier in the old Point n Click games and the old comics?

The comics/Hit the Road got a little violent, but that's about it. Moreso in the comics, though. I mean, it was a Late 80s proto-Indie comic. Sam & Max was one of the relatively tame ones.

Sexuality's barely a thing, too; it repulses Max to even consider it.

If Scorpion somehow got into Smash, you don't know how happy I would be. Not because it's a dream of mine, but because of Ryu vs Scorpion. :p

Edit: I'd really love to see what Mach Rider would be able to do if they were included.

Also, what if Snake coming in brought Bomberman?

Okay, here's an idea that makes sense somewhat kinda maybe. What assist trophy would be likely to become a playable character in a future Smash game? Little Mac proved that dreams aren't always just dreams, after all.

250px-Gs-isaac.jpg

Kjellson

I'm not sure if they're gonna drop an AT and promote to a new fighter in just a port of the same game.

But who knows. Maybe next time.

Ryce

Little Mac is sort of a special case. Punch-Out!! got its first new entry in 15 years after Brawl came out. None of the other Assist Trophies exploded in relevance/popularity overnight like that.

Ubisoft working on Mario X Rabbid Rabbits RPG.

I would say it doesn't mean much just yet, but if Ubi and Nintendo's relationship is improving in such a way, I don't think it'd be crazy to expect Rayman or some other Ubi character to happen down the line for Smash Switch.
As long as that other Ubi character isn't a fucking Rabbid god I hate those things

jnWake

Rayman didn't have much of a chance for Smash initially because he isn't that iconic. However, Bayonetta got in as DLC and we can all agree that she's a lot less iconic than the other 3rd parties. With that in mind, Rayman could have a chance if Ubisoft pushes for him again.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Rayman didn't have much of a chance for Smash initially because he isn't that iconic. However, Bayonetta got in as DLC and we can all agree that she's a lot less iconic than the other 3rd parties. With that in mind, Rayman could have a chance if Ubisoft pushes for him again.

Bayonetta got in because we voted her in. It had nothing to do with how iconic she is.

And we all know the Ubi rep will be a Rabbid.

How many characters do you think we can reasonably expect? I feel like 5 seems very possible (2 returning veterans in Ice Climbers and Wolf, 2 Nintendo newcomers with Inkling and a Sun/Moon Pokemon, and what I call a "wildcard", i.e. anything goes). Do you feel I'm lowballing or thinking there'll be too much already?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If he got in, I'd totally be okay with it.

I'm totally okay with it if they used Rayman from Origin/Legend/Adventure. Those games are definitely best Rayman experience.

How many characters do you think we can reasonably expect? I feel like 5 seems very possible (2 returning veterans in Ice Climbers and Wolf, 2 Nintendo newcomers with Inkling and a Sun/Moon Pokemon, and what I call a "wildcard", i.e. anything goes). Do you feel I'm lowballing or thinking there'll be too much already?

I want to set a safe expectation so I would go with 2-6 characters for Smash Switch Base or/and DLC (if there is any consideration for DLC characters)

I would love to see like 8-10 characters myself tho.

I think I've tallied 30 possible characters I'd call "plausible," ignoring my wildcard picks.

woah. i don't think i could get past 10 without feeling like i'm writing impossible fanfiction. let's see

wolf
ICs
ivysaur
squirtle
inkling
gen 7 pokemon
snake*
chorus kids
takamaru

as much as I'd love to be able to add:
hector
golden sun rep
advance wars rep
young link with masks
skull kid
excitebiker
Mario Kart (with drivers waluigi and daisy)
alph and olimar branched into clones
ridley

i don't think i'm ever getting any of those things

*yes. i wouldn't be surprised to see a konami strategy shift from "possibly exiting the games business entirely" to "monetizing properties in the lowest-effort way possible."

To clarify, the "wildcard" in my potential roster of 5 is one of those:
- Another returning veteran (Snake or any of the cut Pokemon)
- A B-lister from a recent Nintendo game/series (e.g. Dixie or Cranky Kong, Captain Toad, Marine from Federation Force, someone from Project STEAM)
- A surprise retro character (e.g. Takamaru, Prince of Sable, K. Rool)
- A third party character
- A character taken from the ballot (may be anyone)

So, anything goes, really...

To clarify, the "wildcard" in my potential roster of 5 is one of those:
- Another returning veteran (Snake or any of the cut Pokemon)
- A B-lister from a recent Nintendo game/series (e.g. Dixie or Cranky Kong, Captain Toad, Marine from Federation Force, someone from Project STEAM)
- A surprise retro character (e.g. Takamaru, Prince of Sable, K. Rool)
- A third party character
- A character taken from the ballot (may be anyone)

So, anything goes, really...

wow i hadn't even thought of putting henry from STEAM on my stupid fanfiction list. that'd be awesome.

After Ice Climbers and Inkling I wouldn't feel confortable betting on any other new characters for Smash switch, today's rumor shot up Rayman a bunch imo if we get another 3rd party character he's now the most likely.

Man.....I would be happy with any Castlevania character. They all seem pretty damn good and fitting for Smash (talking about playable characters here).

I'm still surprised that Excitebiker isn't playable yet. Excitebike is a multi-million-selling game designed by Shigeru Miyamoto, there have been a few sequels, and it's still referenced in other games like Mario Kart 8. It's one of those retro games that everybody knows about. Excitebiker would be the perfect mix of unexpected and sensible, like Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer.

I'm more surprised we haven't had a stage yet.

TrueBlue

I'm thankful to see that I'm not the only madman to want an Overwatch character in Smash. Tracer would make my day.

If the Mario/Rabbids thing is legit, I wonder if that increases Rayman's chances. I sure hope so!

Zubz

Banned
If I had a choice to get a Konami rep, it'd be Bomberman. :p

I still don't know how Rayman is like on those games.

I mean, SEGA & Capcom have 2 reps...

IIRC it's just old school Rayman. He's just a goofy, devil-may-care protagonist without any character development beyond his animations.

jnWake

Yeah, Rayman doesn't have much development in his games. He's kinda like Mario with the courage and sort of goofy attitude.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
tumblr_static_1aez4666enb4804kcogookoc4.jpg

My friends and I had a discussion about Snake not being in Smash 4. I actually considered the possibilities that Snake not being in Smash might not be a result of Kojima and Konami fall-out. There are several plausible reasons that could lead Solid Snake miss his returns to Smash Bros Franchise

1. It could be a direct result of Kojima and Konami fall-out.

2. Konami could say no to any collaborations at the moment but I can't really see it because they could make a quick cash with Snake being in Smash Bros, along with those Amiibo royalties.

2. Nintendo and Konami actually tried to make a deal. However Konami tried to make unreasonable demands for a license deals which led Nintendo to bail out.

3. Sakurai already went on the record and say that he would drop Pac Man entirely from Smash Bros if Namco-Bandai would rather to see him going with new design of Pac Man. So I wonder if Konami would try to push Sakurai to include new MGS character in term of promoting their upcoming title(s). Sakurai decided to opt out.

4. Sakurai went on the record that he had to speak with all IP owners to see if they are completely okay with Snake being in the game due to how Snake played in Smash Bros. It's plausible that there are one or few owners speak out that they may not be comfortable with it.

Again, I'm unsure about the excuse itself because Bayonetta made her appearance in Smash Bros via DLC, and apparently everyone are okay with her being in the game.

5. anything could happens but we know Kojima asked Sakurai to include Snake in Smash Bros again but Kojima have no controls over Metal Gear Solid and Solid Snake IPs anymore because Konami stepped in.

It's plausible that it might not be Konami's fault this time.

woah. i don't think i could get past 10 without feeling like i'm writing impossible fanfiction. let's see

There are more than 10 plausible characters right there because if Sakurai decided to chose some fan favorites from Smash Ballot. Here is a quick list but I would throw few unrealistic characters in there as well.

Solid Snake
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Pichu?

Gen 7 Pokemon (Perhaps Decidueye)
Inklings
Rhythm Heaven Rep

Impa
Takamaru
Paper Mario
Dixie Kong
King Rool
Ridley

Isaac
Style Savvy
Advance Wars
Excitebike

Geno
Rayman
Heihachi

It's a bit difficult to predict what characters will come as we don't know how long the development has been going on, and how many people.
If I had to choose 7... (a year development with a team slightly bigger than DLC, and they don't have to make two versions of everything)

Wolf
Ice Climber

Two most popular cut veterans. Wolf would be easier to add too.

King K. Rool, Inkling

Two ballot characters. New and old.

Decidueye
Promote Sun/Moon/Stars

3rd Party, and Retro Rep
3rd party would be a Japanese character as Sakurai believes Smash to promote Japanese characters. Resident Evil is a particularly noteworthy 3rd party that's not represented, but age ratings might cause issues.
For Retro Rep, I think Takamaru or Diddy Kong Jr. are the two natural choices. I have a hard time thinking of a hardware rep like Game and Watch, Rob and Duck Hunt. Maybe Sakurai will take my suggestion and add 9Volt to represent various newer Nintendo hardware :p

With more characters the list would change. Once more information becomes available, then we can make better predictions.

Top Bottom