• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Donkey Kong Jr. would be a fun retro addition after we get another DKC rep people actually want, whether it's K. Rool, Dixie or Cranky.

Well it's not like the fan demand came from his appearance in Mario Baseball or King of Swing, so it's not too surprising they went with his old Rare-era design.

A lot of the retro reps which have been chosen are from different series for NES DK JR could represent the education series. Mach Rider or Excitable are other possibilities too, since they were considered at one point and Sakurai has changed his mind about characters.

I just think we will at least get one, especially if we get 7 or more characters.

Out of curiosity Dustin, is the seven slots just a guess or is there evidence to support that sort of upgrade? Source-Gaming's roster prediction for Switchy also seemed to be around that ballpark.

A lot of the retro reps which have been chosen are from different series for NES DK JR could represent the education series. Mach Rider or Excitable are other possibilities too, since they were considered at one point and Sakurai has changed his mind about characters.

That's something I (Ryce also!) have noticed. Seems like each of the retro characters kinda represent their own part of Nintendo's history.

iz5kkW0.png

R.O.B = Robot Series
Duck Hunt = Light Gun Series
Ice Climbers = Action Series (They were chosen over other "Action Series" characters like Urban Champion or Bubbles from Clu Clu Land).

Then Mr. Game & Watch represents, well, the Game & Watch.

Regarding Pit's inclusion, it always seemed more like to me that Sakurai put in him because of his popularity, not because he wanted to throw in another retro character like with Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt. He's said as much right here.

I was well aware that Pit was a popular character in both America and Japan. I tried as best I could to design this version of him in a way that reflected current tastes, so I'm happy to see him so well received.

In a way, Pit was kind of another popular "overdue" character ala Wario or Dedede when it came to Brawl. He just happened to be old.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That's something I (Ryce also!) have noticed. Seems like each of the retro characters kinda represent their own part of Nintendo's history.

Nintendo_Series-web-vgo.png

R.O.B = Robot Series
Duck Hunt = Light Gun Series
Ice Climbers = Action Series (They were chosen over other "Action Series" characters like Urban Champion or Bubbles from Clu Clu Land).

Then Mr. Game & Watch represents, well, the Game & Watch.

I do believe that Mario Bros is most likely to represents the Arcade series, but again it's plausible Donkey Kong Jr could represents that series as well.

Out of curiosity Dustin, is the seven slots just a guess or is there evidence to support that sort of upgrade? Source-Gaming's roster prediction for Switchy also seemed to be around that ballpark.

Just a guess. We discussed it for a long time, and decided that 7 seemed like an appropriate number as they made 7 characters in a year for DLC. (of course, new stages and probably modes would be added to the Switch version)

They might have started porting in February, as that's when the folders were updated (1.1.6). We don't know how big the team is, or if they are really working on it. Around the end Sakurai also stated that his next job after his break was decided and between the rumors of Toto, Emily and Laura, it seems very likely it's happening. I also thought since they haven't released the amiibo that the figures were delayed for the new Port, especially since the 3DS centric direct could've easily featured them.

With more characters the more time needs to be spent with debugging and balancing (exponential increase).

I'm hoping for around 9-10 characters, but the pessimistic in me thinks 7 is more likely.

Ryce

In a way, Pit was kind of another popular "overdue" character ala Wario or Dedede when it came to Brawl. He just happened to be old.
Also, Pit was considered a Famicom Disk System character in Japan, not just a regular old NES character, so he wasn't stepping on Ice Climbers' toes either.

While we're on the subject, I've always kind of humored the idea of a "Sport Series" representative. Those games were pretty big back on the NES.

The only problem is...it's a little too abstract for a character, lol. One might just suggest to have it be something general, like an Ice Hockey player, but the idea here is to encapsulate NES sport games as a whole, so it'd be kinda odd to see a Ice Hockey player suddenly whip out a baseball bat or something. One could also suggest for the character's appearance to alternate between being a Ice Hockey/Golf/Baseball/Tennis player depending on the attack its performing, but again, it's a bit too abstract.

While we're on the subject, I've always kind of humored the idea of a "Sport Series" representative. Those games were pretty big back on the NES.

The only problem is...it's a little too abstract for a character, lol. One might just suggest to have it be something general, like an Ice Hockey player, but the idea here is to encapsulate NES sport games as a whole, so it'd be kinda odd to see a Ice Hockey player suddenly whip out a baseball bat or something. One could also suggest for the character's appearance to alternate between being a Ice Hockey/Golf/Baseball/Tennis player depending on the attack its performing, but again, it's a bit too abstract.
I recall a good while back we were talking about extra movesets that would've been nice to have for the mii fighters and among things like musician and mage, I think sports came up. Could be a way to give lots of nods to those games without requiring a specific character :3

If Guzma's theme isn't in Smash 4 Switch, I swear to god.

Also the Kahuna theme would be nice.

Also since ORAS wasn't in Smash 4 at all, toss in Deoxys' Theme, because why not.

I have a hard time thinking of a hardware rep like Game and Watch, Rob and Duck Hunt.

There's a few options they could go with.
For instance, an easy choice would be Diskun, the mascot for the Famicom Disk System. I guess it would be a bit difficult to implement, but it'd certainly be an option. There's also Nikki to represent the online aspect of more recent Nintendo systems - she even got her own game (including a de-Mii-fying redesign) and was a costume in Mario Maker, so Nintendo is quite aware of her!

However, one thing I've been really liking the thought of is Sakurai digging even deeper than game systems. One such character was on a fake leak before, and whoever that guy who made that leak up was, he was a genius. Before the NES and Game & Watch, Nintendo was making games and toys, after all, and one such thing was the so called Mini Game series, which was small toys and games like miniature pool tables or those little plastic labyrinths with the small metal ball in them.

The Mini Game series also had a unifying mascot, a kangaroo - there's variations with and without the baby in the big pouch:

I think it'd be easy to turn this kangaroo a fighter, especially given the fact there already is a fighting game with a playable kangaroo fighter, and they easily could incorporate the little toys from the Mini Game series as attacks beyond that. Obviously they'd have to re-design the character, but it'd be an amazing addition just from a historical standpoint. Add in a stage based on Hanafuda cards, and we've got an absolutely amazing pre-video game Nintendo coverage, if you ask me.

I also would argue that Wii Fit Trainer is a character who is supposed to represent the Wii hardware just as much as the very successful Wii titles.

There's a few proper characters who could represent that. For instance, Daisy was formally introduced as a sidekick to Luigi in NES Open Tournament Golf, as Luigi's caddie (Peach was Mario's). There also is the option of pulling characters from other sports titles that aren't party of the NES series, such as Plum from Mario Golf.
The obvious choice though would probably be someone from Pro Wrestling, such as Starman or Fighter Hayabusa.

In a similar way, Popeye would work as the representative of the Arcade series, but more importantly, Donkey Kong Jr. would cover that and the Educational series (Donkey Kong Jr. Math was the sole game in that series after all). And of course Mach Rider, Excite Biker and Foreman Spike from Wrecking Crew could easily become the faces of the Programmable series.

And the one series that isn't displayed in your image is the Adventure series, which only contains Kid Icarus and Metroid, so they're already covered, heh.

ANYWAY long story short about both responses I made, there's a boatload of really cool yet strange or obscure characters I'd love to see in Smash in some shape or form, preferably playable, and I could easily come up with like 20 awesome characters from retro games and non-game-specific mascots who have been attached to Nintendo.

Sponge

Banned
I'd be okay with any new DK rep. DK Jr would be especially awesome since that's a retro character we haven't seen in a long time. Also yes, I'm aware of the whole current Donkey Kong is Jr thing but I'd like to see the actual character return someday.

I'd be okay with any new DK rep. DK Jr would be especially awesome since that's a retro character we haven't seen in a long time. Also yes, I'm aware of the whole current Donkey Kong is Jr thing but I'd like to see the actual character return someday.

To be fair, there has been precedent to have both Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. appear in the same game. Both characters appeared playable in Mario Tennis 64. So even if that whole implied canon of our current DK being Jr. and Cranky being the old arcade DK were true, the spin-offs do not seem to have to adhere to it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Isn't that just marketing that was exclusive to the Americas. Sounds like a big coincidence to me.

Also, they've pretty much settled on Cranky Kong being current Donkey "King of Swing" Kong's grandfather, making Jr DK's mystery father.

So...does anyone else figure we might see her show up?

latest

Seems Nintendo is still kinda pushing Xenoblade around. Xenoblade Chronicles X is apparently being ported over to the Switch and Monolith is working on another big game.

I know technically the main playable character in XBX is a customizable avatar figure but from what I hear, your character doesn't really do much or have an actual personality (unlike Robin or Corrin) and Elma is essentially the most important character throughout.

Sakurai does seem to be a big fan of Xenoblade so I wouldn't be surprised to see it get some more representation, what with having a new game that came out after Smash 4. Never played neither of the Xenoblade games but I always thought Elma looked pretty cool, so I wouldn't mind seeing her.

jnWake

Elma getting in would be kind of a Ness/Lucas situation. Protagonist from cult classic JRPG gets in (Shulk) and then sort of protagonist of sequel gets in. It could happen!

Elma getting in would be kind of a Ness/Lucas situation. Protagonist from cult classic JRPG gets in (Shulk) and then sort of protagonist of sequel gets in. It could happen!

So you're saying she'll get cut in Smash 5 and then everyone will miss her and then she'll get added back as DLC? lol

In all seriousness though, at the very least I could see Mira being a stage, probably (unfortunately) a giant scaled one like Gaur Plains.

random25

Elma will be a cool addition with her dual blades and dual guns setup. She may borrow some movesets from Bayonetta and Pit, and have other moves of her own as Sakurai decides.

I don't know much of her chances, but it will be cool to see her included.
With her alien form as an alt costume.

Elma spoiler

One of my weirdest ideas is making Elma the new spoiler character akin to Sheik in Melee, with the mechanic being her having
doubled stock with some alternating variations in moves.
Most likely not going to happen, but if it does: I predicted it before it was cool

random25

One of my weirdest ideas is making Elma the new spoiler character akin to Sheik in Melee, with the mechanic being her having
doubled stock with some alternating variations in moves.
Most likely not going to happen, but if it does: I predicted it before it was cool

Sheik and Zelda works because they function differently. One plays like a ninja while the other one is a magical princess. I can't see that working with Elma though.

On the other hand, since Sakurai tends to include mechanics from their original games to the RPG characters, like most FE characters having an inherent counter move, Robin with weapon durability and expendable Tomes, Shulk with Monado Arts, and Cloud with Limit Break, if Elma is included maybe we'll see the XCX mechanic of melee/ranged switch carrying over to Smash. With Melee mode as default at the start, Neutral, Side and Up Specials use dual blades for more power but less range attacks. Then Down Special shifts all specials to use Dual Guns to provide more range but less damage. Kind of like a Zelda/Sheik change, but no character swap.

random25

So more like a stance character like Gen from Street Fighter rather than a transformation character.

Yes, though it only affects special attacks unlike the former Zelda/Sheik or Samus/ZSS that basically have every move and characteristics different from each other.

The only challenge is if custom moves will extend to new characters in the next Smash. If they never add custom moves to DLC characters assuming they carry over to the next game, then that's going to be fine. But if everybody gets them, then that's a bit more work on her character since she will be the only character that has 7 specials (2 each for neutral, side and up, 1 for down special switch) usable in the game.

PK Gaming

"Was Elma popular in Japan" is the question we should be asking ourselves.

I like her, and she was definitely well received here. But was she was well received there? And was Xenoblade X well received there for that matter?

Ryce

Roy, Ike, and Corrin use the Falchion as their emblem, so there isn't really an issue with Elma using the Monado. It's the most famous weapon from her series' original game.

I don't think it would really be a big deal to have her logo be different from Shulk's, while still being under the same series.
Emblems exist to categorize the series (such as the trophy division), so I doubt that would happen. They’re not a character-based thing.

"Was Elma popular in Japan" is the question we should be asking ourselves.

I like her, and she was definitely well received here. But was she was well received there? And was Xenoblade X well received there for that matter?

Well, Little Mac isn't popular in Japan.

It's not like she's a third party character (that generally has to be a big deal to get in) or that her game wasn't released outside of Japan like Takamaru or something.

After playing Pokemon Sun this week, I still think Mimikyu would be a great addition to the roster.

Giratina was the first, and so far only, Ghost type to ever appear on the battlefield (other than background Drifloom, but that doesn't count)

Since Gen VII has so many cool ghost types, hopefully Mimikyu or Decidueye appear in some capacity.

My favorite type keeps getting ignored in Smash...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Guess. Well, it's really debatable along with staff members based on the number(s) of characters with so much little information. I guess we just went with number 7 because it's feasible for a DLC team to make 7 characters in a year and few months with a small numbers of workers.

I'm more of pessimist so I'm going with low numbers of characters as possible since I would rather to temper my expectation and hype for this one. My pessimist mode is telling me that we are going to get 2-6 playable characters. If we're going to get more than 6 characters, then that's great news for everyone.
I would love to see more than 9 characters tho since I still believe that Smash for Switch is going to be a game that are going to lasted us for long time.

My prediction is

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Snake (I'm not giving on him yet but I already acknowledged that his chance is pretty slim to zero)

Decidueye
Takamaru
Rhythm Heaven
Inkling

It's plausible that we could get some choices out of Smash Ballot, such as King Rool, Geno, Ridley, etc, and choices from third party companies, such as Shovel Knight, Rayman, Heihachi, etc.

Elma is my most wanted newcomer.

Well, after Wonder-Red, but i don't think that's heppening.

Wonder Red still have a shot because he and his team could provide an interesting and appealing moveset that may not be in Smash Bros yet.

Persona 5 Protagonist? I wonder who is the most popular protagonist in the franchise tho. I meant Cloud managed to get in Smash Bros out of all Final Fantasy characters so I wonder if they could go with popular character instead of recent/relevant character.

watch them swerve us all with playable Rockruff.

It's possibly tho. I wouldn't set Decidueye as shoo-in character for upcoming Smash.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Decidueye is the only gen 7 mon with any chance of becoming playable, Ash even gets a Rowlett in the anime.

Actually he is also getting a Litten it seems, and it will have the "mandatory sob firestarter story". If the leaked character sheet is still correct, it might be his "battler" Pokemon while Rowlet is his "cutesy" Pokemon.

Popplio has "cutesy starter that never evolves" written all over it, though.

Could be like Torterra and Infernape and he'll have multiple evolved forms.

Rowlet's evolutions are too perfectly made to appeal to the anime's core demographic to be shoved into random cameo roles in single one shot episodes.

Top Bottom