• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I know someone wish he could do it .

sD96t6g.png

I got to play Ally and Dyr at Frosty Faustings, I got a lot of helpful advice and ultimately had a lot of fun! I look forward to Combo Breaker, and if anyone else is going, I'd love to play!

RomanceDawn

I know someone wish he could do it .

At first I was like, thats not funny at all. Amnesia doesn't work that way! Amnesia makes the user forget so why is Jigglypuff reacting like its aware that an Amnesia attack just hit it.

Then I thought about for a second and started laughing. The author knew what he/she was doing as Mewtwo forgot about its loss to Jigglypuff and I went in assuming they thought it worked like the opponent was supposed to forget.

Good stuff!

I replayed Smash Wii U's 9.0 Classic Mode to see how some mods I got / made would change anything..... :lol this is still the single most frustrating mode I've played in any Smash game, and I know there will be someone out there saying "Oh you just suck, Intensity 9.0 isn't that bad once you learn to react to the enemy AI's 1 frame reaction time, just learn when to use that to react faster than that and be sure to get all of the Gust Bellows and Dragoon Pieces that spawn literally right next to them before they do, Wii U Intensity on 9.0 is fun afterwards."

I replayed Smash Wii U's 9.0 Classic Mode to see how some mods I got / made would change anything..... :lol this is still the single most frustrating mode I've played in any Smash game, and I know there will be someone out there saying "Oh you just suck, Intensity 9.0 isn't that bad once you learn to react to the enemy AI's 1 frame reaction time, just learn when to use that to react faster than that and be sure to get all of the Gust Bellows and Dragoon Pieces that spawn literally right next to them before they do, Wii U Intensity on 9.0 is fun afterwards."

High level CPUs in this game are absolute fucking torture to play against, god damn.

They literally just input read and block/roll through every. fucking. attack.

Pfft, coming from someone who competes in smash tournaments 9.0 is bollocks. Items are bs, the AI tend to gang up on you more often than not, and the Master Core/Fortress gauntlet at the end is incredibly difficult to go through while managing your damage and stocks.

I don't know how some people put up with it, but all I can say is it's definitely doable if you have the patience. Pretty low on the fun level, though.

High level CPUs in this game are absolute fucking torture to play against, god damn.

They literally just input read and block/roll every. fucking. attack.

Aerial attacks basically never work unless they're of the lightning quick variety or incredibly delayed because you better believe they have that input reading air dodge on lockdown.

Ahnez

Its almost ridiculous the gap between older games' AIs and SSB4 AI

I mean, since I'm a competitive melee player, its not hard for me to beat, say, Classic or All Star on Very Hard. Most of the battles can be done without even taking damage. So its fair to think a Smash 4 player can do the same, right? Right??
But nooo, that shit is so cheap, I don't know if anyone can have fun playing that. Even some of my friends, who are competitive Smash 4 players, have a really hard time with Intensity 9.0

Thats not a skill test, its a pure luck test

I can only do things up to ~7.0, so I can't say for myself, though :p

I always play against 7 or 8 CPUs, because the 9 ones aren't hard, they're just super annoying and terrible AIs for a video game. Generally, when making AI opponents, you don't give them inhuman reflex abilities.

In other news, Roy's design in Fire Emblem Heroes seems to take more of its cues from his Smash design. Also Roy is one of the most popularity Fire Emblem lords, apparently.

Yeah, the AI is no joke! I once set up a 2v2 match, me and a Lvl 9 CPU vs my Lvl 50 Mario and Yoshi amiibo. Friendly Fire was on and Lvl 9 Ganon casually punted me off the stage on my last stock. Not by accident; he ran over to me purposely after I knocked Mario off the stage.

jwillenn

Well, I got worked this morning, but it was a productive session (for me, at least).
Shouts out to nswitch^ for slapping some sense into me. I need to level up soon. And the connection was pretty awesome! Damn near offline quality!

Neoxon

Now we have Yuri Lowenthal more solidified as the English voice of Marth (especially with him narrating the FE Direct) & Ray Chase has been cast as the English voice of Roy. Can we now have all of the FE crew in English in the Smash games?

While we're at it, get some English-speaking guy to do the voice work for Little Mac in the next game.

You might say "well, he doesn't actually speak so it don't matter", which technically is true, but even when just grunting, you can still tell he's being voiced by a Japanese dude and it's really distracting. He sounds like an angry samurai.

PK Gaming

Now we have Yuri Lowenthal more solidified as the English voice of Marth (especially with him narrating the FE Direct) & Ray Chase has been cast as the English voice of Roy. Can we now have all of the FE crew in English in the Smash games?

First we need a half-competent voice director!

Cloud has an established English voice actor for him, and Steve Burton, regardless of any issue, still didn't reprise his role for Smash 4.

Also, people will complain about the English dub of Marth and Roy because "It's not what I remember about their characters in Smash" like how people will complain if Ganondorf gets even the simplest change in his animation.

There's Smash Wii U Mods at least, reuse Marth's clips from Fire Emblem Fates, and edit FFXV's Noctis' voice lines to sound "younger" for Roy

First we need a half-competent voice director!

Nice joke, that'll never happen.

Mario will stay sounding like Charles Martinet had strep throat that recording day, forever.

Smash Marth and Roy having Japanese voices is a pretty dumb tradition that isn't consistent with any other Western depiction of them or the other Fire Emblem characters in Smash. Needs to be dumped.

Cloud speaking Japanese is especially dumb. I seem to remember the reason they couldn't get Steve Burton was due to union stuff, but even still, they could at least get a soundalike or even just modify his sounds to remove the Japanese lines like they did with Mewtwo.

Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong needed their actual voices like three or so games ago. The two Marios and Luigi could do with a re-recording (actually you could leave Dr. Mario's voice to differentiate them) as could Fox and Falco (Star Fox Zero had the same voice actors but they did a much better job in that game).

PK Gaming

Smash Marth and Roy having Japanese voices is a pretty dumb tradition that isn't consistent with any other Western depiction of them or the other Fire Emblem characters in Smash. Needs to be dumped.

Cloud speaking Japanese is especially dumb. I seem to remember the reason they couldn't get Steve Burton was due to union stuff, but even still, they could at least get a soundalike or even just modify his sounds to remove the Japanese lines like they did with Mewtwo.

Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong needed their actual voices like three or so games ago. The two Marios and Luigi could do with a re-recording (actually you could leave Dr. Mario's voice to differentiate them) as could Fox and Falco (Star Fox Zero had the same voice actors but they did a much better job in that game).

Add botched translations on the FE characters ("Let's tip the scales?") and super faulty voice direction (Lucina is far too angry, Ike.)

Smash 4's overall voice direction is so, so, so, so. so bad. It's baffling that this was somehow okayed when it's so much worse than pretty much anything they've put in the 2010s.

As an aside, I don't agree with Roy's english VA pick either, but that's a discussion for another day.

I will never accept English speaking Roy

He's spoken English in exactly one game, released just last week, and it's a F2P mobile spin off. And the voice actor doesn't yell enough. There is absolutely no reason he should ever speak English. Roy isn't a whiny 12 year old pretty boy in Smash. And there's no history to the voice. It's just an English actor for the sake of an English actor, over the voice everyone whose ever played Smash has been used to, for going on almost 20 years now.

Roy has pretty much the best voice acting in Smash 4, and it's a miracle the actor can be absolutely spot on with a voice he did a decade ago. It's one of the only new voices in Smash 4 that doesn't sound phoned in or "off"

And English Marth would be an extremely hard sell to the Smash community. Marth's actor has been playing the part as long as Martinet has for Mario. That's a classic voice that would be incredibly hard to adjust to, just for the sake of a couple taunts and some victory lines.

PK Gaming

I will never accept English speaking Roy

He's spoken English in exactly one game, released just last week, and it's a F2P mobile spin off. And the voice actor doesn't yell enough. There is absolutely no reason he should ever speak English. Roy isn't a whiny 12 year old pretty boy in Smash. And there's no history to the voice. It's just an English actor for the sake of an English actor, over the voice everyone whose ever played Smash has been used to, for going on almost 20 years now.

Roy has pretty much the best voice acting in Smash 4, and it's a miracle the actor can be absolutely spot on with a voice he did a decade ago. It's one of the only new voices in Smash 4 that doesn't sound phoned in or "off"

And English Marth would be an extremely hard sell to the Smash community. Marth's actor has been playing the part as long as Martinet has for Mario. That's a classic voice that would be incredibly hard to adjust to, just for the sake of a couple taunts and some victory lines.

Bruh

Roy's voice clips in Smash Wii U are a mishmash of his voice clips from Melee, with a couple of new ones that are occasionally sound jarring as heck. Traditionalism is fine and all, but with FE's growing relevance in the West, people are going to want the NA Roy. Not "Mamorubekimono no tame ni, make rarenai!" Roy, our Roy. You bring up FEH, but when FE6 gets remade (and it likely will) he'll have an English voice in that that. It's time we did away this shoddy tradition.

PS: English Marth wouldn't be a hard sell at all considering he's voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, and he's more or less solidified as "the" NA Marth voice now.

100% of Roy's lines in Smash 4 are new

What does an English voice offer to Marth or Roy? Smash generally leans towards the iconic, so why should the iconic, long standing voices more people are familiar with be dropped?

Marth and Roy's English voices don't mean anything. They hold no nostalgia to anyone and aren't iconic or well known in the slightest bit.

I'd like to also mention that Marth has had all of one Fire Emblem game starring him localized (a remake in 2011), and Roy has had none. It practically makes sense for them to speak Japanese, considering they've effectively been introduced to the western audience through Smash.

I'd argue that Marth's Melee performance is more iconic than any English voicing he's received through Codename S.T.E.A.M., Fire Emblem Fates, or Fire Emblem Heroes (of which two appearances required the Marth amiibo, and the latter is a just-launched mobile game).

I don't see how this is a "shoddy tradition" either. There have been even worse decisions regarding character voices in Smash history like how Luigi was just a high-pitched Mario until Brawl, or Bowser and DK's ridiculous monster noises, or how we haven't had a consistent English voice for Fox since Melee, or how some characters randomly get re-recorded lines (Ness, Kirby) while others reuse their work from earlier games (Mario, Captain Falcon).

I don't see how this is a "shoddy tradition" either. There have been even worse decisions regarding character voices in Smash history like how Luigi was just a high-pitched Mario until Brawl, or Bowser and DK's ridiculous monster noises, or how we haven't had a consistent English voice for Fox since Melee, or how some characters randomly get re-recorded lines (Ness, Kirby) while others reuse their work from earlier games (Mario, Captain Falcon).
Kirby gets re-recorded lines every game because he has to--he has to have new voice clips for the new character powers. Ness just gets taken along for the ride because Ness and Kirby share voice actresses.

PK Gaming

100% of Roy's lines in Smash 4 are new

What does an English voice offer to Marth or Roy? Smash generally leans towards the iconic, so why should the iconic, long standing voices more people are familiar with be dropped?

Marth and Roy's English voices don't mean anything. They hold no nostalgia to anyone and aren't iconic or well known in the slightest bit.

Oh shit, they were? My bad, Jun Fukuyama is a God if he can make the new clips sound so alike.

Regardless, you're putting too much credence into "iconicness." Marth and Roy's JP voices were a product of a different time. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if Fire Emblem was properly localized back then, but it wasn't, and while it was nice to have JP only characters have JP voices, things are different now. You bring up english voices not mattering, but they do matter. People who prefer dubs for a reason, and I think Roy and Marth talking in a language we actually understand has massive appeal.

Fuck being eternally rooted in nostalgia! Progress and moving forward; that's what its all about.

Smash 64/Melee weren't the only games of that era to have high pitched Luigi. That was sort of his voice back then, when they couldn't decide which Martinet voice they wanted to use so they just switched back and forth every few games, depending on which stock voice bank the devs had access to. I always just assume hpotch shift Luigi was just a lazy way of recreating that same voice.

Not sure why they didn't just use the stock sound bank for Luigi that they used for Mario in the first two Smash games, but pitch shifted Luigi is close enough to Luigi's voice in that era. Sometimes. Sometimes he had his voice that he still uses now.

Fuck being eternally rooted in nostalgia! Progress and moving forward; that's what its all about.
This is a video game series pretty much successful entirely due to nostalgia. Roy's English voice is the most generic "naive prince" voice ever.

Sakurai actually wrote a column on Jun, and how impressed he was with his Smash 4 performance.

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

PK Gaming

This is a video game series pretty much successful entirely due to nostalgia. Roy's English voice is the most generic "naive prince" voice ever.

Sakurai actually wrote a column on Jun, and how impressed he was with his Smash 4 performance.

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

Ike's English voice had someone who could barely act, so I don't get your point. I'm not a fan of Roy's VA either, but I don't think Roy's lackluster English VA should prevent the character from having an Eng voice.

Smash has several amazing Japanese VAs; I still don't think their voices should be used over their (generally inferior) american counterparts.

New Petey animations found in the Wii U version.

Looks like Petey was going to be a stage boss of some kind. Although not really sure where or how, unless they brought back the Subspace stadium as a level or something. Or made a second Mario Sunshine stage for whatever reason?

Ike's English voice had someone who could barely act, so I don't get your point. I'm not a fan of Roy's VA either, but I don't think Roy's lackluster English VA should prevent the character from having an Eng voice.

Smash has several amazing Japanese VAs; I still don't think their voices should be used over their (generally inferior) american counterparts.

I don't see the point in using an inferior voice for a character that has never appeared in any proper English Fire Emblem game (for Roy), and whose English voice holds no sentimental value at all. English fans are already super familiar with the Japanese voices for Marth and Roy.

Ike had a proper English voice actor from his own games. Roy has an English voice actor they pulled out of nowhere out of necessity for a mobile spin off. There's a big difference. It's why Cloud speaking Japanese comes across as odd, as he has an established English actor, while Marth and Roy aren't. Marth's voice actor has been voicing him in everything since 1997. That's a long history to throw away for an English actor that's only played Marth in spin offs since 2015.

PK Gaming

I don't see the point in using an inferior voice for a character that has never appeared in any proper English Fire Emblem game (for Roy), and whose English voice holds no sentimental value at all. English fans are already super familiar with the Japanese voices for Marth and Roy.

That's fine if it works for you, but it doesn't for me. I don't see a point in keeping a character speaking Japanese for nostalgia's sake, especially when an English remake for Fire Emblem 6 is in the cards. You can denigrate FE: Heroes all you want, but moving forward, the actors they chose for Roy and Marth will be used in all of the localized Fire Emblem games.

Ike had a proper English voice actor from his own games. Roy has an English voice actor they pulled out of nowhere out of necessity for a mobile spin off. There's a big difference. It's why Cloud speaking Japanese comes across as odd, as he has an established English actor, while Marth and Roy aren't. Marth's voice actor has been voicing him in everything since 1997. That's a long history to throw away for an English actor that's only played Marth in spin offs since 2015.

1) Ike has one of the very worst voices in this game, hence the reason why I brought him up. I'd even accept his trash ass english VA over his marginally good JP one, because having a character speak in a language you understand is almost always preferable. Otherwise, why even bother dubbing characters at all?

2) Marth's JP VA has a long history of voicing him in Japan, not America. The difference between Ike and Marth is a matter of circumstance.

3) You can't use the "has only voiced Marth in spinoffs" argument when Marth will likely never get another mainline FE game to his name (and if he did, you'd be damn sure Yuri Lowenthal would voice him).

1) Ike has one of the very worst voices in this game, hence the reason why I brought him up. I'd even accept his trash ass english VA over his marginally good JP one, because having a character speak in a language you understand is almost always preferable. Otherwise, why even bother dubbing characters at all?

2) Marth's JP VA has a long history of voicing him in Japan, not America. The difference between Ike and Marth is a matter of circumstance.

3) You can't use the "has only voiced Marth in spinoffs" argument when Marth will likely never get another mainline FE game to his name (and if he did, you'd be damn sure Yuri Lowenthal would voice him).

1. I don't believe having an English voice actor above all else is always preferable. I watch a metric ton of old Japanese kaiju films, and 100% of the time I prefer sub titles because the dubs are god awful and sometimes ruin the dialog completely. And that's an entire movie. Roy and Marth both say exactly 4 sentences in English, three victory animations and one of their taunts. The rest are yelling, and grunts and generic fighting lines. So it doesn't really matter much at all. Characters should be dubbed to strive for whatever best represents the characters. Nerdy teenager Roy from Heroes doesn't at all fit with Roy in Smash. He's older and more of an in your face fighter, and Jun's constant screaming works well for Smash Roy. This is a game that strives for references, nostalgia and authenticity. You keep saying "for nostalgia's sake" as if that's a poor reason... but that's the reason for like 99% the stuff that's in Smash Bros.

Ike is different because Ike was always voiced in English for the entire history of the character. He wasn't introduced with a Japanese actor and then 15 years later got an English actor. He's always been voiced in English, and should always continue to be, even if the actor isn't great.

I'd be first in line to have Cloud be re-dubbed into English, or for Mewtwo to be voiced by Dan Green or Jay Goede. So it's not like I'm one of those people who wants the original Japanese voices 100% of the time.

2. No. Marth's voice actor has a long history of voicing Marth, period. He's voiced the character for 15 years across three Smash games. That's 15 years of Marth's current voice actor in English games. 20 years when you throw in the anime. He's not Marth's Japanese voice actor, he's Marth's voice actor, period, for most people.

3. Then Marth and Roy will never have canon voices, and there's nothing wrong with that. They shouldn't even have a chance at voicing Smash until those voices move beyond random cameos voiced out of necessity (and I'm not even really sure Roy needed dubbing in heroes, he just says "yea" "let's go!" "yippee" or whatever, generic stuff they could have just used his Japanese lines for with grunts or laughs from Jun.)

PK Gaming

This is pointless, we're going in circles. I can concede with you on some points, but I just can't bring myself to agreeing with you on others (I for one, can't wait for Roy's non-canon voice in the Fire Emblem 6 remake)

Going back to the earlier discussion about AI for a moment, Smash 4's can be pretty annoying but I vaguely recall Melee's being too stupid (I remember Giant characters in Classic Mode randomly falling off ledges, lol). Brawl or 64 probably had the best balance.

That's fine if it works for you, but it doesn't for me. I don't see a point in keeping a character speaking Japanese for nostalgia's sake, especially when an English remake for Fire Emblem 6 is in the cards.

Have I missed something or is this an assumption?

Anyway, having English voices for Marth or Roy would be pretty cool; maybe they'll have a voice switch option down the line? Personally, I'm secretly hoping they'll rerecord the Star Fox characters for the Switch port.

Going back to the earlier discussion about AI for a moment, Smash 4's can be pretty annoying but I vaguely recall Melee's being too stupid (I remember Giant characters in Classic Mode randomly falling off ledges, lol).

This is probably the prime example of Melee's dumb AI on the top of my head, I did this to grind for 1,000 fights to unlock Mr. Game & Watch

I didn't know how wall jumping worked, so the other unlock method of "Beat Break the Targets with every other character" was impossible due to Young Link

Brawl or 64 probably had the best balance.

Smash 64 has my favorite AI to fight against since there it has the least amount of BS like hitstun cancel or air dodge spam they could abuse compared to Brawl and Smash 4

Ahnez

This is probably the prime example of Melee's dumb AI on the top of my head, I did this to grind for 1,000 fights to unlock Mr. Game & Watch

I didn't know how wall jumping worked, so the other unlock method of "Beat Break the Targets with every other character" was impossible due to Young Link

Actually, the unlock method was beat any single player mode with every other character

Break the Target was just the fastest one. But you could just beat classic with all characters to unlock G&W

PK Gaming

Going back to the earlier discussion about AI for a moment, Smash 4's can be pretty annoying but I vaguely recall Melee's being too stupid (I remember Giant characters in Classic Mode randomly falling off ledges, lol). Brawl or 64 probably had the best balance.

Have I missed something or is this an assumption?

Just an assumption for now, but a likely one. Gotta give Western players a chance to experience Roy's game.

Top Bottom