• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Golnei

It might be a new character or female version of announced character Amiibo.

Are you saying there's still a chance?

292891-full.jpeg

I've been hearing about something called 2gg lately. Are they legit?

legit in what way? they've run many tournaments over the past year or so out of a cyber cafe-style venue in socal called the esports arena. i went to one of them in july. it was a blast. they also did one bigger tournament in a vegas hotel. i think they existed before this past year running tournaments for other smash games, but stepped up near the end of 2015 to revive socal smash 4 when they realized that there was nearly no one else in the region pushing the game. they run some small weekly tournaments and bigger monthly ones called Sagas. the sagas are typically named after the guest of honor. so far, they are cursed. the title-guests have yet to win the one named after them, even in cases like "Mexico saga," where there were several guests.

if you're talking about "do they actually have the money/ business partnerships to run the tournament circuit thing they've announced?" then the answer seems like it's yes.if halfway through the year sponsorships fail themm and they can't pay out, players will raise a stink online and i'll probably make a sad post here.

if the question is "is this company a scam?" the answer is, fuck no. champ is one of the best tournament organizers smash 4 has. they've also been shelling out money to various players to fly out to random unrelated majors, like komorikiri from japan, who they're currently sponsoring.

subscribe to 2ggaming's twitch if you want to see their tournaments. there are weeklies on mondays and i think wednesdays? and then sagas are on saturdays when they happen. i think one or two of the dudes who run the show also do home-streams but i've never tuned into those.

so what's this drama I'm hearing about Smash being in certain days?

ever since 2013 melee top 8 was on the final day of EVO

this year smash 4 top 8 will be on the final day instead of melee

having your finals on the last day is a big deal and the melee community feels "robbed" and are pissed off at EVO for not letting them have the final day

having your finals on the last day is a big deal and the melee community feels "robbed" and are pissed off at EVO for not letting them have the final day

are they pissed? most seem to have just accepted it since there are so many bigger and better run smash events.
Its more of an enigma because the reasoning wasnt presented, and viewership looks more like this

FSLink

Banned

What's more ridiculous is people saying that both Smash games deserve to be there on Sunday.
They realize Smash games run longer, and that there are other games that "deserve" to be there as well right? You can't have every game on Sunday.

jnWake

What's more ridiculous is people saying that both Smash games deserve to be there on Sunday.
They realize Smash games run longer, and that there are other games that "deserve" to be there as well right? You can't have every game on Sunday.

I don't see it as ridiculous when you look at entrant numbers for both Smash games though.

You could find 20 angry melee hate posts for every post that even mentions smash 4. The hate is so disparate, its become like some childish console wars equivalent, and you do a bang up job of making anyone who doesn't play the latest game feel very unwelcome here.

Melee community always whines about EVO. It's not new. :|

the entire community? Beginning to feel like smash 4 players on gaf just dont want solidarity at all, considering how often melee gets put in a negative light here.
smash 4 had more problems than melee in 2016 @ evo

melee fans are so fucking entailed it's annoying, like it's almost as if there other games and if it wasn't for EVO there game would still be poverty

case and point

its almost like people are just waiting for something to be said by anyone even remotely related to the game so they can stereotype them with "melee fans!"
I would have thought such a game would be celebrated by gamers regardless of what they think of some of the fans. Its undeniably unreasonable to categorize a whole community in this way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People don't hate Melee, but there's a lot of negativity around certain sections of its fanbase.

It's like we may also like fighting games, but we can still point out certain sections of the FGC are a bunch of shits.

People don't hate Melee, but there's a lot of negativity around certain sections of its fanbase.

It's like we may also like fighting games, but we can still point out certain sections of the FGC are a bunch of shits.

well yeah, most of them rag on all of the Nintendo games, but then you have such a divide among the Nintendo games themselves and it seems really contrary to progress. Even Leffen this time was telling his fans not to flip out about it.
I still wouldn't generalize "fighting game players" either.

The melee scene here are some of the nicest people ive ever known. Lugging around CRTs, being friendly to everyone especially new players, some fun commentary, regularly organized events etc.
Then you come to gaf and its just people who have never, and will never be part of a community and just want to rag on good people on the internet, because i dont even know why.

I don't see it as ridiculous when you look at entrant numbers for both Smash games though.

because that would be a bad idea for people who aren't fans of smash, you gotta keep the line up interesting and having two smash games on the final day won't do that

case and point

its almost like people are just waiting for something to be said by anyone even remotely related to the game so they can stereotype them with "melee fans!"
I would have thought such a game would be celebrated by gamers regardless of what they think of some of the fans. Its undeniably unreasonable to categorize a whole community in this way.

listen i know that all of the melee community isn't bad but every time i hear about the community is from a big event where they have been disrespectful, like the whole Guilty gear top 8 incident at CEO last year, it's always these type of things i keep hearing

the entire community? Beginning to feel like smash 4 players on gaf just dont want solidarity at all, considering how often melee gets put in a negative light here.
smash 4 had more problems than melee in 2016 @ evo

I mean, despite ZeRo's complaining that Smash 4 was treated terribly at EVO, it was still his own fault for some of the already behind schedule event take even longer to start up, like showing up 30 minutes after the Smash 4 Top 8 participants were supposed to.

Not to say it was the players' fault entirely on Smash 4's presence at EVO, but stuff like that shouldn't happen in the first place.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well negative stories make news and unfortunately negative news does spread about Melee it seems. Yes, it is unfair to generalise, but often people are just being lazy when they talk about the community when they really mean to say "[the particular members of] the community [who are involved in the story]".

well yeah, most of them rag on all of the Nintendo games, but then you have such a divide among the Nintendo games themselves and it seems really contrary to progress. Even Leffen this time was telling his fans not to flip out about it.
I still wouldn't generalize "fighting game players" either.

The melee scene here are some of the nicest people ive ever known. Lugging around CRTs, being friendly to everyone especially new players, some fun commentary, regularly organized events etc.
Then you come to gaf and its just people who have never, and will never be part of a community and just want to rag on good people on the internet, because i dont even know why.

Great that your local scene is nice. I am happy for you. On the flipside, the Melee players in my local scene abused me for my disability not allowing me to perform wavedashes, and when I was trying to host tournaments for them, after saying they'd be interested, they didn't attend either and made me lose a big chunk of money that took me about 2 years to completely recover from. Add to this the constant barrage of shitposts I'd seen from them over the game I competitively played (Brawl), and I have made nothing but negative experiences with Melee players. So your assumption about me is wrong - I seriously tried being part of the community and helping it grow, but I was pushed away by them because I wasn't good enough at the game and played one they didn't like.

It doesn't help that every time I hear something about the Melee community it's drama about how EVO didn't put it into slot X or something akin to it.

Great news about evo. Smash 4 has really developed into a more pleasing game to view, and it has newness and variety as an advantage over melee too.

jnWake

because that would be a bad idea for people who aren't fans of smash, you gotta keep the line up interesting and having two smash games on the final day won't do that

I know why they do it, I was disagreeing with the idea of 2 Smash games being "ridiculous".

not sure if this is the place to post clips but that tech blew my mind

Great that your local scene is nice. I am happy for you. On the flipside, the Melee players in my local scene abused me for my disability not allowing me to perform wavedashes, and when I was trying to host tournaments for them, after saying they'd be interested, they didn't attend either and made me lose a big chunk of money that took me about 2 years to completely recover from. Add to this the constant barrage of shitposts I'd seen from them over the game I competitively played (Brawl), and I have made nothing but negative experiences with Melee players. So your assumption about me is wrong - I seriously tried being part of the community and helping it grow, but I was pushed away by them because I wasn't good enough at the game and played one they didn't like.

It doesn't help that every time I hear something about the Melee community it's drama about how EVO didn't put it into slot X or something akin to it.

well, are you going to find other kinds of news about melee if you're not interested in it?
I get the feeling youre only going to ever be exposed to bad things if thats whats being spread around. Your community doesnt sound like much of a community at all.

There's a competitive Smash Bros thread for that stuff somewhere here in Gaming Community.

well, are you going to find other kinds of news about melee if you're not interested in it?
I get the feeling youre only going to ever be exposed to bad things if thats whats being spread around. Your community doesnt sound like much of a community at all.

Why would I specifically try to investigate something I don't like in order to find positive news? Yes, I mostly hear negative things about Melee because that's what happens to be spread more often into what I see. And even if I did: it however doesn't mean the bad stuff doesn't happen or something. Even if I knew all the good stuff that happens in the Melee community, fact of the matter is, the negative stuff still happens. The Melee community still is crying about EVO just about every year, the Melee community still was booing the Guilty Gear finals at CEO, the Melee community still was chanting for Melee at Apex as Nairo won Brawl and Zero won Smash 4. This shit doesn't just go away because some of the parts of the community are good, and even if I had a positive bias towards the Melee community, it would be inexcusable.

The local Melee community here is very active, healthy and tight-knit. They just pick whom they want to associate with. I'm simply not someone they wanted to accept into their midst because of their arbitrary selection of traits one has to bring to the table. Doesn't help most of them also are about 10 years younger than me.

There's a competitive Smash Bros thread for that stuff somewhere here in Gaming Community.

Why would I specifically try to investigate something I don't like in order to find positive news? Yes, I mostly hear negative things about Melee because that's what happens to be spread more often into what I see. That however doesn't mean it doesn't happen or anything. Even if I knew all the good stuff that happens in the Melee community, fact of the matter is, the negative stuff still happens. The Melee community still is crying about EVO just about every year, the Melee community still was booing the Guilty Gear finals at CEO, the Melee community still was chanting for Melee at Apex as Nairo won Brawl and Zero won Smash 4 at Apex. This shit doesn't just go away because some of the parts of the community are good, and even if I had a positive bias towards the Melee community, it would be inexcusable.

The Melee community here is very active, healthy and tight-knit. They just pick whom they want to associate with. I'm simply not someone they wanted to accept into their midst because of their arbitrary selection of traits one has to bring to the table. Doesn't help most of them also are about 10 years younger than me.

if it happens, thats still not a reason for two wrongs to make a right. Lots of the criticism ive seen around here is completely detrimental and doesnt help anybody. Just makes people feel like they did something wrong for enjoying a game.

if it happens, thats still not a reason for two wrongs to make a right. Lots of the criticism ive seen around here is completely detrimental and doesnt help anybody. Just makes people feel like they did something wrong for enjoying a game.

What I made is an observation, cause to me it feels like every time I hear about EVO, it's about Melee players crying about some sort of perceived slight from the EVO organization.

Feel free to enjoy Melee, nobody is taking that away from you and there's plenty of people who do, however, you also have to consider that if you identify yourself with the game and its community, you also will have to accept the negative part of the baggage it comes with.

What I made is an observation, cause to me it feels like every time I hear about EVO, it's about Melee players crying about some sort of perceived slight from the EVO organization.

Feel free to enjoy Melee, nobody is taking that away from you and there's plenty of people who do, however, you also have to consider that if you identify yourself with the game and its community, you also will have to accept the negative part of the baggage it comes with.

every time sounds like hyperbole. Ive not really seen anything from anyone in these threads hating on smash 4, but there are many many examples of the other way around and have to wonder what exactly is being achieved by that attitude.
As someone who follows melee, I havent even seen anyone crying about EVO, even Leffen who is notorious for whining on twitter basically just said who cares.

Any tips on how to best play with Mega Man? I want to enjoy the character to the fullest.

Be sure to take full advantage of the Jab, F-Tilt, and N-Air. The Megabuster isn't super powerful, but those shots cause flinching and the damage adds up fast; plus, hitting with the buster itself has surprisingly good knockback for a Jab. It's also worth noting that Megabuster shots can help neutralize enemy projectiles; they're especially helpful against physical projectiles like Samus's missiles.

Learn the nuances of your Specials. Metal Blade counts as a thrown item, thus your opponents can grab it out of the air with good timing. Crash Bomb has infinite range, and transfers like a Sticky Bomb. Leaf Shield helps rack up damage up close, but prevents you from using Specials. Grab while it's up to guarantee that all the leaves will hit.

It's also important to understand the rest of your standards and aerials. D-Tilt can go under certain projectiles. U-Tilt has a shockingly strong sweetspot on Megaman's fist at the start of the uppercut. U-Air drags opponents up with the Air Shooter, and is a very good follow up after a U-Throw. D-Air has a weak spiking effect but awkwardly halts your aerial momentum.

Finally, don't rely on your Smashes too heavily; F-Smash can be reflected and D-Smash suffers from lag. U-Smash is rather fast, but also has a relatively small hitbox.

The main thing to remember is to play as though you're playing an actual Megaman game; run, jump, shoot. Never stay still, always be firing. Even if you're nowhere near the foe, keep firing the F-Tilt, Jab, or N-Air. Megaman is great at racking up damage on opponents, take advantage of that!

FSLink

Banned

Again, others also deserve to be there on Sunday as well. Entrants aren't everything. Smash also takes much longer to play than most other games. You can't really have both Smash 4 and Melee on the same day without going crazy over time.

Any tips on how to best play with Mega Man? I want to enjoy the character to the fullest.

Learn to short hop lemons. Learn glide tossing.

If you aren't learning how to shoot lemons properly (being able to move in and out and constantly cause pressure with it), use another character. Lemons are super important.

Professor Lexicovermis dropping knowledge, thank you so much for such detail. FSLink, I think I know what you mean by lemons and yeah, I see that both of you emphasize hopping around. He's much quicker than my main girl Samus.

Don't. He is boring as hell to play against
Are you kidding I've wanted Ryu to fight Mega Man since I was ten. Was't he in Marvel vs Capcom?

At least he isn't braindead like Ness :p
Is that you Pokey? ( ͠° ͟ʖ °͠ )

FSLink

Banned
FSLink, I think I know what you mean by lemons and yeah, I see that both of you emphasize hopping around. He's much quicker than my main girl Samus.
Yeah, I use Mega Man as a secondary. Here's a good video on short hop lemons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhA0LD1yAy0

Lemons and proper metal blade usage (learn z-dropping, super glide tossing) make the character work well. Don't forget his bair and nair are really fantastic off stage. Use it to push opponents further off stage until they're forced to use their second jump. React to the second jump with bair and it puts them in a terrible situation, usually can get a dair spike or bair kill from it.

It's so strange that Villager is a better keep away player than Megaman.

Nah, best way to play Villager is to be as obnoxious as humanly possible. Pocket everything and anything, always have a Lloid Rocket out, master the Tree and Bowling Ball. If you aggravate the other player, they'll start getting sloppy with their attacks, making it easier to Pocket strong projectiles and chop down your Trees.

Professor Lexicovermis dropping knowledge, thank you so much for such detail. FSLink, I think I know what you mean by lemons and yeah, I see that both of you emphasize hopping around. He's much quicker than my main girl Samus.

No problem! I love the quirkier playstyles in Smash, and I love seeing folks pick them up! I'm not an expert by any means, but I do know a trick or two!

No problem! I love the quirkier playstyles in Smash, and I love seeing folks pick them up! I'm not an expert by any means, but I do know a trick or two!
I really like being able to tell local coop people some tricks if they haven't played before so I try to play with almost all the characters... Some of those Fire Emblem casters are tough to control without practice.

Yeah, I use Mega Man as a secondary. Here's a good video on short hop lemons
I did not know what you meant by lemons, sweet jesus that looks awesome! I should start watching YouTube tutorials more often, this is great.

I really like being able to tell local coop people some tricks if they haven't played before so I try to play with almost all the characters... Some of those Fire Emblem casters are tough to control without practice.

I did not know what you meant by lemons, sweet jesus that looks awesome! I should start watching YouTube tutorials more often, this is great.

Same here! A friend of mine was awestruck when I (as Villager) Pocketed a Tree he had reflected at me!

Top Bottom