• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Need

__ribbon_girl_arms_game_and_nintendo__f60335ab57fe6f70080c44807fe91935.jpg

It's looking like Spring Man (or Ribbon Girl), Bomberman, and Link of the Wild are shoo-ins for the next Smash.

I don't really see Sakurai changing the appearences of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf on the basis that their TP incarnations are the most "franchise neutral" designs they could choose from. Sakurai probably thinks that when people think of Link, they think of, well, his iconic green tunic and hat, which BOTW Link seems to lack.

PushDustIn was told that there will be a new Mii Fighter costume based on Link from Breath of the Wild in Smash Switch, though.

Link's BotW look just makes sense as an alternative costume for regular Link rather than a new character, even if there are enough new items in the game to make a new moveset.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I forgot to add this to my Roster in Heath's thread but I still hope they add a fourth Mii Fighter, "Sorcerer", who uses magic-based attacks.

Mii outfits of course could include Kamek's robes, the White/Black mages from Final Fantasy, and Aghanim's outfit.

Ryce

If the next Smash Bros. gets a Fire Emblem newcomer it'll probably be someone from the 2018 Switch game, not a boring swordsman from a remake.

Alm mii swordfighter at least.

Geez Beef, at least click on one of the many Fire Emblem threads on the first page of gaming even if you don't care, you're out the loop!

PK Gaming

Looking forward to the 2 new FE reps, 3 new FE stages and 10 new FE music tracks that will undoubtedly be in the Switch version of Smash.

There are two. ;)

1) The design document is already done for Smash for Switch if the development actually started last year.

2) Sakurai kinda acknowledged that there are quite a lot of Fire Emblem character in Smash Bros.

:p

Fire Emblem as a franchise is about to make a bazillion dollars off of whales chasing Lucina/Tharja/Lyn in a few weeks when the mobile game comes out. Sakurai might have to rebrand Smash bros as Fire Emblem Bros & Waifu by the time he plans Smash 5

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I forgot to add this to my Roster in Heath's thread but I still hope they add a fourth Mii Fighter, "Sorcerer", who uses magic-based attacks.

Mii outfits of course could include Kamek's robes, the White/Black mages from Final Fantasy, and Aghanim's outfit.

You still have a chance to edit your post since the game itself haven't officially announced yet.

Fire Emblem as a franchise is about to make a bazillion dollars off of whales chasing Lucina/Tharja/Lyn in a few weeks when the mobile game comes out. Sakurai might have to rebrand Smash bros as Fire Emblem Bros & Waifu by the time he plans Smash 5

Poor Smash fans if it's going to happens.

Seeing them do a dual amiibo pack for the gaiden characters kind of gives me hope we'll get a male and female corrin amiibo pack (I'm sure I can find somewhere to sell the male one and keep f.corrin :p )

PtM

Banned
Would be cool if you could use all those FE amiibos for Heroes.

Though Apple with their phones jumped late on the NFC train.

Honestly at this point, I'm not expecting any new characters for Smash 4 Switch (if it happens anyway).

In addition to MK8 Deluxe's additions being a bit more sparse than we thought...there's also the fact that Nintendo is actually still trying to sell the 3DS alongside the Switch at this time. There may be a point in time when Nintendo phases out the 3DS and goes on to fully support the Switch, but at the moment, it's only really replacing the Wii U for now. The 3DS is still alive and Nintendo most likely still wants to sell Smash 3DS. They even advertised it in their holiday commercial like two years after it came out. They most likely want to still sell Smash Wii U as well, but obviously they can't do that considering the Wii U is history. In that sense, you could see Smash 4 Switch as a quick and easy replacement, so they can continue to still have a "home console" Smash alongside a handheld Smash.

There might be some new exclusive stages and new modes, kinda like how Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U did it, but considering Sakurai went out of his way to make sure the 3DS and Wii U games had complete character roster parity, I wouldn't really expect anything new on that front. I guess one thing they could do is make any new characters they added to the Switch version DLC for the 3DS version...which, um, would completely annihilate any chances of the Ice Climbers returning to this game, welp.

Like I said, Nintendo will probably begin to phase out the 3DS at some point in order to focus on the Switch...but when they get to that point, Sakurai will probably begin working on a brand new Smash title.

Yesterday is a good example of why FE has a million characters in Smash.

FE now has more announced games in the future than Mario, Zelda or Pokemon. It's pretty clear Nintendo now sees FE as one of its major pillars.

I never in all my years of gaming would have ever thought a somewhat challenging SRPG series that never even reached the US until a little over a decade ago would be one of the major pillars of Nintendo, but here we are.

Honestly at this point, I'm not expecting any new characters for Smash 4 Switch (if it happens anyway).

In addition to MK8 Deluxe's additions being a bit more sparse than we thought...there's also the fact that Nintendo is actually still trying to sell the 3DS alongside the Switch at this time. There may be a point in time when Nintendo phases out the 3DS and goes on to fully support the Switch, but at the moment, it's only really replacing the Wii U for now. The 3DS is still alive and Nintendo most likely still wants to sell Smash 3DS. They even advertised it in their holiday commercial like two years after it came out. They most likely want to still sell Smash Wii U as well, but obviously they can't do that considering the Wii U is history. In that sense, you could see Smash 4 Switch as a quick and easy replacement, so they can continue to still have a "home console" Smash alongside a handheld Smash.

There might be some new exclusive stages and new modes, kinda like how Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U did it, but considering Sakurai went out of his way to make sure the 3DS and Wii U games had complete character roster parity, I wouldn't really expect anything new on that front. I guess one thing they could do is make any new characters they added to the Switch version DLC for the 3DS version...which, um, would completely annihilate any chances of the Ice Climbers returning to this game, welp.

Like I said, Nintendo will probably begin to phase out the 3DS at some point in order to focus on the Switch...but when they get to that point, Sakurai will probably begin working on a brand new Smash title.
Couple of points...

a) I think people misunderstand the amount of content in MK8. Not only is it two new characters, but they've also added new items such as the bomb and feather, a bunch of new battle mode tracks and overhauled both battle mode and the item system. That's a fair chunk of stuff and I think it gets overlooked due to people's focus on the lack of new racing tracks.

b) I don't have numbers myself but I'm pretty sure someone pulled up some sales data a good while back and according to those 3DS smash doesn't shift DLC much at all, while the wii-u was pushing considerably more despite it's smaller install base. While I'm sure nintendo would like to sell a few more copies of smash on 3DS I think it's more in their interest to sell copies on a platform where people will be likely to expand their spending to additional content and as this will be a 'new' version it could be the excuse needed to break character/content parity :3

c) surely if they were just going to do a minimal port they would have at least announced smash by now? The fact they've not even admitted it's on the table makes me think the work being done is far more extensive than a version with no new characters, else we'd have at least had it acknowledged in the switch showcase.

Smash 3DS is the second best selling DLC Nintendo had last year. Smash Wii U was #1. Despite the much smaller audience.

I think the Wii U is wayyyy over #2 as well. Smash 3DS had to fight its way to the top over Mario Kart and the F2P Pokemon games through the year, Smash Wii U started at the top the quarter Smash DLC first released. And stayed there.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
what if Bomberman plays like Snake

I'm pretty confident Sakurai wouldn't let that happens! :p

remember when Shovel Knight was a shoo-in? Good times.

Those days were great. I specifically remember that I felt that Shovel Knight's franchise wasn't even big enough to be in Smash Bros, and I was right about it. However I was wrong about Bayonetta. I actually thought her sexiness and weapons would prevent her from getting in. I'm glad that I'm wrong on that.

I understand your points right there. I do think you actually have a valid concern about it but at same time, I would like to believe that you are projecting your disappointment on upcoming Smash because of what happens with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and maybe Switch. I would assume it's mainly because of leakers kept saying that we would get new tracks, right?

Development for 5 characters, 2 items, 4 (more likely to be 8) Arenas, 2 (more likely to be 3) battle mode, potentially new Mii costumes and double items mechanism would required a lot of works and a decent budget. Also they need to work on game balance to ensure that the balance wouldn't be out of wacky. I understand people's disappointment with lack of new tracks but major complaints Mario Kart Community had with Mario Kart 8 are always about Battle Mode being half-assed and wonky physics. I don't blame Nintendo for addressing one of their major complaint in order to satisfying fans and their loud complaints.

I know they held back Super Smash Bros for Switch because they don't really want to announce the character(s) or the game itself at Switch Presentation because it's going to steal a lot of thunders away from Switch and new games. I completely understand their position and I thought it was smart move to held it back for future events.

It's plausible that they probably want to make sure that they would have a decent pace between Smash's announcement and Smash's release because there might be small numbers of new contents so they have to make sure that they would have a steady pace of information.

What happens to your agenda with Sourcegaming rumor which implied we are getting two new characters for Switch version since it was pretty often that you and Neoxon would make sure that everyone would know about 2 characters rumors.

People who believed in rumors fully should take my quote to their hearts in first place. Expect for the worst but Hope for the best so no one would be disappointed when they don't get what they expected to due to the rumors.

a decade ago FE was seen as a dying series even

Z63xoyG.png

Definitely. I'm very glad that they don't have to decide to put the franchise to rest, and the popularity of franchise definitely went 180.

Honestly, they could just add the 3DS stages/Smash Run and I think I'd be okay. But I know a lot of people wouldn't, so I'm hoping for a surprise or two.

SaikyoBro

It is pretty weird that it seems like they're still putting so much emphasis on 3DS but at the same time they've acknowledged that the people still buying 3DS games and the people who'll be buying a Switch are basically two different audiences. I don't think adding content to a rerelease of a 2014 game would burn anybody or impact Smash 3DS's sales 3 years later. In fact, I'm pretty sure a Smash for Switch port with no new characters would piss off a lot more people than the other possibility.

And I still 100% believe the game is happening, I don't know what it is with Nintendo fans deciding something doesn't exist if it isn't revealed on the exact date that they think it'll be. Most of the rumors pointed to a release later this year anyway, they had no obligation to show it in January. Didn't Reggie basically soft-confirm the game anyway in some interview mentioning what Switch would do for Nintendo's online multiplayer games?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
wait, why are people surprised they are still selling 3DS games

DS games were still being made when 3DS came out, and same with GBA when DS came out

Neoxon

I still feel like we won't get another Smash game for a good long while (4 years minimum). And giving the 3DS the additional Switch characters would provide fans with a way around the Switch's paid online. It's one of the reasons why, assuming Eurogamer is on the money, Pokémon Stars could indeed be Switch-only (which would truly mark the transition away from the 3DS).

Jezan

I was playing Team for Glory with my sister and then te stage to wait for the opponent to be ready was different it was normal battlefield with items in the plataform.

When we started the fight it was battlefield with 3 plats and the sliding platform carrying a smart bomb, then a POW block and then a gun. Why? We were in for glory, are we in For Glory hell?

I was playing Team for Glory with my sister and then te stage to wait for the opponent to be ready was different it was normal battlefield with items in the plataform.

When we started the fight it was battlefield with 3 plats and the sliding platform carrying a smart bomb, then a POW block and then a gun. Why? We were in for glory, are we in For Glory hell?

It could be you were playing with someone who modified the stage to load up the Multi-Man Smash version of Battlefield. I'm not aware of whether these things are possible though, usually they'd just cause desyncs because you're all not playing with the same assets. In this case though, the "mod" is just changing the stage to another already existing stage in the game.

Very interesting.

Jezan

It could be you were playing with someone who modified the stage to load up the Multi-Man Smash version of Battlefield. I'm not aware of whether these things are possible though, usually they'd just cause desyncs because you're all not playing with the same assets. In this case though, the "mod" is just changing the stage to another already existing stage in the game.

Very interesting.
Thanks for the info.

It was really weird , at first we didn't notice since we just use the cellphone when the waiting stage is on, but then I started jumping and my sister was like "Wait, why are there platforms?...and a bomb?"
The she said it would be weird o play in that stage since we are used to Omega.

And I was thinking maybe the game was updated to allow stages like battlefield to be played in for Glory.

We lost that fight, all the next battle against those players were in Omega stages, I saved the reply, I will upload it tomorrow.

FSLink

Banned
Thanks for the info.

It was really weird , at first we didn't notice since we just use the cellphone when the waiting stage is on, but then I started jumping and my sister was like "Wait, why are there platforms?...and a bomb?"
The she said it would be weird o play in that stage since we are used to Omega.

And I was thinking maybe the game was updated to allow stages like battlefield to be played in for Glory.

We lost that fight, all the next battle against those players were in Omega stages, I saved the reply, I will upload it tomorrow.

It's the stage mod that allows you to have additional stages, and it also affects the random select.
You were definitely playing on the Multi Man Smash version of the Battlefield. I know because I've done this mod before and got that stage in random select on For Glory a few times.

Top Bottom