• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Game balance patch in 2 days =O didn't even realise it was so soon. Tbh I don't think any character needs a nerf except maybe a little less hit stun on Diddy's down throw. Other than that I don't think the current top tiers are broken.
I think top tier recovers should be severely nerfed. It seems like all the top tier characters have the easiest way to recover, while say Marth, Lucina are terrible and have terrible gimpable recoveries...

Ricky 7

I am mostly interested in whether the changes will be big or small.
I'm kinda hoping for big changes for the underused character but I have a feeling that this update might just be a minor change similar to the previous updates. =/

I wouldn't mind seeing some minor tweaks to the upper tiers and some buffs to the lower personally.

We will see though!

Are you interested in playing a bit Ricky? I've been unsuccessful in catching you so far :p
I can't man, it's 5 in the morning here and I'm half asleep so I'll be playing really bad. I played someone here like an hour and a half ago and couldn't concentrate at all. I really want to play you too since you've been asking but I want to be playing at my best. The different timezones make it really difficult to play against most of you. I think realistically the only way we can play properly is on the weekends. I have this week off though so if I see you online I'll challenge you if you're free.
I think top tier recovers should be severely nerfed. It seems like all the top tier characters have the easiest way to recover, while say Marth, Lucina are terrible and have terrible gimpable recoveries...
I can't think of any other top tiers with a safe recovery except ZSS and Shiek? I guess maybe Pikachu as well but it is possible to knock him out of quick attacks.

I can't man, it's 5 in the morning here and I'm half asleep so I'll be playing really bad. I played someone here like an hour and a half ago and couldn't concentrate at all. I really want to play you too since you've been asking but I want to be playing at my best. The different timezones make it really difficult to play against most of you. I think realistically the only way we can play properly is on the weekends. I have this week off though so if I see you online I'll challenge you if you're free.

No problem man, we'll play sometime! I was working all day today so that doesn't help either haha.

I'll keep an eye out for you online!

GGs guys. I am pretty proud of my day 2 Samus. I had way more fun than playing Bowser, which is frustrating in 2v2. I have to learn to deal with rolls better, though. I am used to having it easymode against roll spam.

Ggs guys, if anyone else wants to still play 1v1 or 2v2 I;m game..
Welp, that was something.

GGs guys, I played as best I could with those characters, and that double KO between me and DQ was something to behold. :)
Lol what even happened there is my question. Did I hit you and you hit the fire hydrant?

GGs guys. I am pretty proud of my day 2 Samus. I had way more fun than playing Bowser, which is frustrating in 2v2. I have to learn to deal with rolls better, though. I am used to having it easymode against roll spam.
I felt like I was doing better with Robin with your Samus, than Palutena for some reason.. Palutena feels gimmicky to play as sometimes..

I am surprised the connection was so good, Beats. It felt better than when we 1v1!

Ggs guys, if anyone else wants to still play 1v1 or 2v2 I;m game..

Lol what even happened there is my question. Did I hit you and you hit the fire hydrant?

I felt like I was doing better with Robin with your Samus, than Palutena for some reason.. Palutena feels gimmicky to play as sometimes..
I agree. Part of it is that when you play Palutena, you just zip everywhere, and you tend to run into stuff like Samus' Charge Shot. Robin, on the other hand, tends to stay at the edges at the screen. However, her Arcfire tends to friendly fire when I play Bowser, because I can't control my screen positioning well. When I play Samus, I can usually try to be sure that I'm not in the line of fire. She's much more flexible and mobile.

I also liked Lucina with Samus. Definitely did not like Dorf.

I am surprised the connection was so good, Beats. It felt better than when we 1v1!

I agree. Part of it is that when you play Palutena, you just zip everywhere, and you tend to run into stuff like Samus' Charge Shot. Robin, on the other hand, tends to stay at the edges at the screen. However, her Arcfire tends to friendly fire when I play Bowser, because I can't control my screen positioning well. When I play Samus, I can usually try to be sure that I'm not in the line of fire. She's much more flexible and mobile.

I also liked Lucina with Samus. Definitely did not like Dorf.
I was like 3/3 with Dorf :eek:.. But yah I don't play him.. Lucina for met at least is more direct in her offense (less punishment based), and if she got buffs I'd probably main her..

SoldnerKei

man, that Ike fart had more wind than anything wario can come up with lol

what did you said about SDs? xD

edit: ok, nevermind nothing happened lol

I was like 3/3 with Dorf :eek:.. But yah I don't play him.. Lucina for met at least is more direct in her offense (less punishment based), and if she got buffs I'd probably main her..
It's more that I found it difficult to play Samus because I had to worry about Dorf. He is big and slow.

Also, if a slow homing missile is ever coming toward you, roll behind it. It will switch targets to someone else. Then use it to shield your approach. Don't sit on it and shield or open yourself up trying to run away.

Yoshi is big in Japan, right? I've never seen him in a Western tournament, but I fear Sakurai will nerf him :(
I feel like Yoshi is really fair, though. He's the kind of character that should set the standard for "strong, but not stupid or crazy".

Honestly, the only thing I want nerfed is Sonic's ability to completely control the match flow. I don't even know how that can be fixed, but it ruins the pacing of the game. I think that Hoo Hah is fine, as is Sheik. Just buff other characters to compete with them. Though I'm not a fan of Diddy and ZSS's ability to use horizontal and vertical recovery options without any lag or punishment. It makes ledge guarding them extremely hard.

I feel like Yoshi is really fair, though. He's the kind of character that should set the standard for "strong, but not stupid or crazy".

Honestly, the only thing I want nerfed is Sonic's ability to completely control the match flow. I don't even know how that can be fixed, but it ruins the pacing of the game. I think that Hoo Hah is fine, as is Sheik. Just buff other characters to compete with them. Though I'm not a fan of Diddy and ZSS's ability to use horizontal and vertical recovery options without any lag or punishment. It makes ledge guarding them extremely hard.

I agree, but Greninja was popular in Japan and got nerfed, and he wasn't as good as Yoshi. I also agree with Sonic needing some nerfs. I don't even know how I damage Sonic, it just sometimes happens. He is impossible to approach and avoids everything.

Masked Man

I said wow
Then Sakurai probably won't balance them. IIRC, he tends to take his ques from them.

Yeah, I think they will remain largely untouched.

---In the future, do you plan on adjusting or balancing the game further through a patch?

Sakurai: We don't have any such plans, but at the very least we will be working on a few things connected to the online play experience, bit by bit.

If we were to do something like tweak characters' customized special moves, then there'd be no end to it. But with that said, if there are any glaring issues, we may address them.

(Source)

Yoshi is big in Japan, right? I've never seen him in a Western tournament, but I fear Sakurai will nerf him :(

I see a lot of Yoshi players online, so I think people are generally aware that he's a really solid character with lots of quick, safe, high-priority options. I played a Yoshi last night and it was extremely irritating, lol. Dat nair is too good.

That said, the team already balanced him with 1.0.4, and despite my own personal frustrations with the matchup, I don't think he's overpowered at this point in time.

I'm with you there! Sonic is the one matchup that always sets me off.
And I agree about Diddy and ZSS having unnecessarily good recovery options, but it's really satisfying to purify them mid-flip with a well-timed Usmash. ;)

I agree, but Greninja was popular in Japan and got nerfed, and he wasn't as good as Yoshi. I also agree with Sonic needing some nerfs. I don't even know how I damage Sonic, it just sometimes happens. He is impossible to approach and avoids everything.

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like Sonic is so safe that the people who play him take it for granted, so they do dumb things and get hit. I don't even know how I beat Sonic players, and I tend to. There's one player I'm thinking of in particular, and he pretty much does:

Down B charge

WOOSH

Jump

Up B (to make the springer land on me)

Down A

Run away

Down B charge

And that's like his whole game. It's actually far more difficult to deal with as Bowser than it should be. I get around it eventually, but it's such a test in patience. I would ADORE for Sakurai to change the character so that he has to actually learn how to play the game and learn things like what a neutral is. Every other character in the game has to sit and play footsies with Bowser, and it takes a ton of skill. Except for Sonic. He just mashes down B and rolls on to free offense.

It's part of why I want to switch to Mewtwo. I want to just throw a charged Shadow Ball and say "fuck you" to Sonic players that stare me down half a screen away while mashing down B because Bowser has NO options against it.

Really, Mewtwo only needs one thing to make me 100% happy: quick recovery on his teleport. That's it. Give me that, and I can tolerate any weakness he has.

Oh my god if they give Mewtwo a teleport with a quick recovery and Sheik-tier invincible frames and an actual combo game I am maining him so hard <3

I fucking love characters with mobility and projectiles, makes spacies and Mario Bros. a blast to play.

Oh my god if they give Mewtwo a teleport with a quick recovery and Sheik-tier invincible frames and an actual combo game I am maining him so hard <3

I fucking love characters with mobility and projectiles, makes spacies and Mario Bros. a blast to play.
It drives me nuts that they didn't show it in his video. -_-

Man, when are those codes going out, anyway? :/

TWILT

Banned
Ahhh, kept messing up my jab lock setups those matches. Ah well, I'll be sure to learn it better in time for our ranbat set. :p

GGs Kei! Fun matches as usual. Lots of crazy stuff happened. The Pikachu vs Zamus matches were really fun!

SoldnerKei

as usual GGs games TWILT, your Ike is looking more solid each time I play against him, the other games were pretty fun too, damn Kirby shenanigans lol, those pikachu games went kind of messed up on the last games, I guess is quite late for both of us to stay focus xD again GGs!

Ahhh, kept messing up my jab lock setups those matches. Ah well, I'll be sure to learn it better in time for our ranbat set. :p

GGs Kei! Fun matches as usual. Lots of crazy stuff happened. The Pikachu vs Zamus matches were really fun!

yeah, I know, but last two felt like we just wanted to kill each other in fancy ways xD no time to think, just kill!!
mwhaha, fun games, gonna learn some character to counter out your pika, I know I have won against it with Link but it's hella hard!

Before I go to bed...I am caught up in hype, so I am going to post this:

10 Reasons I Am Pumped For Mewtwo > Bowser:
1) I am no longer a free gimp.
2) I am no longer uniquely combod by everything.
3) I will have more than 1 safe move.
4) I am the only character with a KO projectile and reflector.
5) My throws will KO faster (lol).
6) I will have safe ways to land.
7) Ledge chasing is no longer suicide.
8) My only spike won't kill me too.
9) Landing a grab will not let my opponent kill me.
10) No stupid "mash recovery" gimmick.

Things I will miss:
1) Fortress. So goddamn good.
2) The best fucking taunts in the game.
3) The hypest kills available. Shield breaks galore.
4) Breathing fire on fools.
5) Explaining how to deal with a spiked turtle at locals.

Cronox

Banned
After playing a little after a couple days away, I think I'll just wait for the patch before playing more. Playing Bowser on FG without dash slash is discouraging (I try not to use klaw now, but straight replacing times when I'd klaw with Bowser bomb doesn't work without the help of the pressure dash slash gives me), and playing Diddy is a gamble until I know what the patch does to him. Incoming 2-day break I suppose.

I have a couple replays I'll take video of tomorrow and upload. Remember how I posted a bit back about meeting a dude in FG who was really good, and beat me with multiple characters? Turns out that guy is the same one who got 2nd place behind Zero in the Norcal Regionals last weekend. So I've gotta get video of it before the replays get screwed up by the patch. Though I'm getting beaten in them, perhaps other Bowser players will find them useful for study. I was playing pretty well IIRC, but I was outclassed.

Top Bottom