• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

I hope Flux didn't partake in some nasty OT thread. :(

So um, when Mewtwo comes out are we all going to spend the week just playing him then? I hope he's fun and we can have all Mewtwo doubles. :3
I'll try him out but I don't see myself playing with him regularly. I've never been really into pokemon and haven't played Melee so I don't know him from there. I'm glad that he's free though.

Tripon

CCD4VQfWAAAIqfc.jpg:large

TWILT

Banned
I have Flux on Steam. I asked him about a week ago, and he said he was banned for 2 weeks, so he should be getting unbanned within the following week.

ATTENTION: SOLDNERKEI - ARE YOU OKAY WITH MOVING UP TO BRACKET 2? CRONOC WANTS TO MOVE DOWN TO B3.

SEASON 3 RANBAT SIGNUPS WILL CONTINUE FOR ONE MORE WEEK - WE BEGIN NEXT SUNDAY. SIGNUP LINK BELOW (QUOTE POST):

SEASON 3 RULES DRAFT:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nz1QvRscUKdra6hSzmpzRLoPa8UP50rYWeMZxAYFGNc/edit?usp=sharing

Notable changes I made since the last draft:
1) I removed the Suicide Clause. I figured that, at this point, Bowser players should know to use Dash Slash anyway. The rule isn't possible to enforce mid-battle on a stock-by-stock basis, so consistency should reign.
2) For the sake of simplicity, I removed the two omega-variant bans - let me know if this really upsets you, and we can try to work something out.
3) For next season, I am proposing that the top 2 players from each bracket move up, and the bottom 2 move down. This will help keep matchups fresh and interesting.
4) I added a little section in the FAQ encouraging new players. I see lots of new faces here, and I don't want them to feel like they aren't welcome.

The following people still have 1-2 matches to play for the ranbat season, which ends today:
MaskedMan
SalvaPot
SteveYoungBlood
TheWorthyEdge
TheAdder
IntelliHeath
FSLink

Except for SteveYoungBlood, everyone just has 1 match left to play. If you have tried to get in touch with your opponent, but haven't had any luck, PM your attempts to me if you want to avoid a Season 3 ranban.

Yeah, I'm still new.

Thanks. ( ̄ー ̄)
It's cool. Lots of long-time members think it's true.

I hope Flux didn't partake in some nasty OT thread. :(

So um, when Mewtwo comes out are we all going to spend the week just playing him then? I hope he's fun and we can have all Mewtwo doubles. :3
I will give him the evening and see how I feel. I will know it is all over if I start to miss Bowser, though.

The day after Mewtwo I will check Smashboards to see what the balance patch did. Everyone else can test stuff while I enjoy the new character. :)

I have Flux on Steam. I asked him about a week ago, and he said he was banned for 2 weeks, so he should be getting unbanned within the following week.
Good!

Only takes 10 minutes to call a character good or garbage.
My plan of testing:

1) Lag on teleport.
2) Lag on aerials.
3) KO move %s.
4) Customs.

JulianImp

Good games man, your Luigi is a damn asshole, I can't stand those ice cubes

Thanks! I really like how the ice balls move slow enough to act as decent area denial while giving me some extra approach options. Still not entirely sold on the side B though, because the extra range appears to be overkill most of the time, and it still has really awful ending lag. On top of all that, Luigi often slides right off the stage due to his low friction during the endlag, meaning I go from offstage on one side to offstage on the other.

I just couldn't adjust myself to your G&W's blasted bairs and juggles, but I'd say you opened yourself up too much when you used dairs. I've still got to practice properly shielding against aerials rather than either eating them or just moving away.

That crazy lag at the end was really bad, but at least we got quite a few matches in before it hit us.

Monster Zero

Thanks! I really like how the ice balls move slow enough to act as decent area denial while giving me some extra approach options. Still not entirely sold on the side B though, because the extra range appears to be overkill most of the time, and it still has really awful ending lag. On top of all that, Luigi often slides right off the stage due to his low friction during the endlag, meaning I go from offstage on one side to offstage on the other.

I just couldn't adjust myself to your G&W's blasted bairs and juggles, but I'd say you opened yourself up too much when you used dairs. I've still got to practice properly shielding against aerials rather than either eating them or just moving away.

That crazy lag at the end was really bad, but at least we got quite a few matches in before it hit us.

Well, typically I can dair into a no log landing, but there was just enough to keep it unsafe, and I refused to adjust lol. You fought my aerials pretty well against kirby, but G&W has wind trickery and vertical projectiles

So when does the season end?
Season 3? Assuming the same number of people sign up (I need 2 more), it ends 5 weeks after it starts. So we're looking at the end of May. I created a pseudobracket, but it can change if we get more this week.

Season 2 ends today.

This is what S3 is looking like:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qxj14jua5QNkJCtLtybX6C10dZMwdh_NV86LP11x8ZE/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: Are you worried about not being able to fulfill the obligation?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Alright, I'm going to share what I'm thinking about our new /OT/

1. I think it might be our time to merge 3DS and Wii U into one thread because 3DS thread is pretty much dead, so it shouldn't be problem for all of us, right?

2. I already made the requests that I'm going to make Smash 3DS & Wii U DLC OT, which is pretty much covering all downloadable contents as possible. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to approach that.

3. I'm pretty new to DLC OT itself, so I'm not sure if I should make a new thread based on release of new contents (Example: Making a new OT based on Mewtwo, then making new OT based on Lucas) or should I make a new thread based on DLC itself that would cover all of future downloadable contents information, and I would keep it update.

Tripon

1. I think it might be our time to merge 3DS and Wii U into one thread because 3DS thread is pretty much dead, so it shouldn't be problem for all of us, right?

2. I already made the requests that I'm going to make Smash 3DS & Wii U DLC OT, which is pretty much covering all downloadable contents as possible. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to approach that.

3. I'm pretty new to DLC OT itself, so I'm not sure if I should make a new thread based on release of new contents (Example: Making a new OT based on Mewtwo, then making new OT based on Lucas) or should I make a new thread based on DLC itself that would cover all of future downloadable contents information, and I would keep it update.

I think the Mario Kart 8 DLC OT took that approach.

I don't see why the DLC needs its own OT. It might be better to just add a DLC section to our present OT. Maybe moderators would let it go back into Gaming for a bit to represent the new content? There's no reason to split the play groups here. You don't want folks to have to post here and in the DLC thread for matches.

SoldnerKei

ATTENTION: SOLDNERKEI - ARE YOU OKAY WITH MOVING UP TO BRACKET 2? CRONOC WANTS TO MOVE DOWN TO B3.

Sure, I wanna see if I am up to the challenge!

hopefully my E-Adapter will arrive before the season begins.

edit: saw S3 bracket 2, is pure love, totally wanna play against everybody there

Oh, and I still need SoldnerKei, Phantom Flapjack and CureVylash to contact me on whether or not they have teammates or whether they still want to participate...

I wanna participate but I don't have a partner, and Phantom and Cure just teamed up lol
so CRQ, if someone joins in and is in need of partner they can team up with me

FSLink

Banned
I don't see why the DLC needs its own OT. It might be better to just add a DLC section to our present OT. Maybe moderators would let it go back into Gaming for a bit to represent the new content? There's no reason to split the play groups here. You don't want folks to have to post here and in the DLC thread for matches.

I was under the impression that the DLC thread would just replace this one as the main thread.

If that's not the case, just make it |OT3 + DLC| or something.

Boney

Banned

I think it's a bad idea to have more than one ot. Mario kart basically took over from the regular one, and it's just gonna make discussion more difficult.

Merging with 3ds is a good idea because of the same reason. It's good to keep discussion all together.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think it's a bad idea to have more than one ot. Mario kart basically took over from the regular one, and it's just gonna make discussion more difficult.

Merging with 3ds is a good idea because of the same reason. It's good to keep discussion all together.

Huh? It's exactly same thing. For 3DS and Wii U OT, I'm planning to request both of them locked so the discussions wouldn't be split so everything would go to Smash Bros DLC OT; just like Mario Kart 8 OT into Mario Kart 8 DLC OT.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
GGs Heath, I notice you have a tendency to roll a lot, try to avoid that.

Casuals?

Yeah, it's my bad habit. Can you private message me with some advices that I need to help myself to get better. That's why I'm going to skip next Ranbats because I really need to work on my skills and habits. I didn't really get a lot of chance to improve myself.

I would love to but I can't play anymore right now but later this week, I would be definitely up for it. It applied to everyone here.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
1. FSLink (Diddy) > IntelliHeath (Duck Hunt) by 2-0
2. FSLink (Diddy) > IntelliHeath (Duck Hunt) by 2-1
3. FSLink (Diddy) > IntelliHeath (Little Mac) by 2-1
4. FSLink (Diddy) > IntelliHeath (Pit) by 2-1
5. FSLink (Diddy) > IntelliHeath (Pit) by 2-1

Good Games, FSLink!

Boney

Banned
Huh? It's exactly same thing. For 3DS and Wii U OT, I'm planning to request both of them locked so the discussions wouldn't be split so everything would go to Smash Bros DLC OT; just like Mario Kart 8 OT into Mario Kart 8 DLC OT.
Oh I thought you meant having to different threads. I suppose that's fine as well!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh I thought you meant having to different threads. I suppose that's fine as well!

I'm really sorry for the confusion. Someone pointed out the error in my english, so I can see why some people misunderstood my post.

I want to clarifying on something.

There are two methods with DLC OT which I'm still unsure what to go with. Should I make multiple DLC OTS based on contents being released; like Mewtwo OT, Lucas OT; OR should I make ONLY ONE OT for ENTIRE DLC itself.

Mario Kart 8 DLC 2 OT is coming so soon, so I'm not sure because I have no clue what to do with DLC OT itself.

JulianImp

What's the difference between Sonic's Down B and Forward B? Forward B just seems like a better version?

Some basic differences (I main Sonic, but don't care about competitive Smash, so some things might be missing/wrong):
  • You can hold a sideB charge while hopping around for mindgames (you won't damage opponents wile jumping)
  • You can cancel a sideB that isn't fully charged by shielding (again, mindgames and abruptly stopping while running)
  • DownB is the easiest to spinshot with, which is an advanced technique which lets you cover LOTS of horizontal distance as long as you haven't used your second jump (to do it, initiate down B and hold down on the analog stick without pressing B anymore, then flick the C-stick upwards)
  • DownB can be charged a lot faster, since it depends on how fast you can mash B while holding down

And finally, a word of advice: sometimes when you have used your second jump up and initiate a spin dash in midair, there are cases where you don't get your second jump back despite landing.

School teachers have homework? I think I'd be able to do the season but it'd probably be at the tail end because I have to finish school, and moving and all that jazz.. I'm pretty sure I'd still be bracket 5 anyway :p
I am working on my MA in Education, so I have homework every week. :-(

It's cool if you can complete it in the second half of the ranbat. I know you're good for it.

I was under the impression that the DLC thread would just replace this one as the main thread.

If that's not the case, just make it |OT3 + DLC| or something.
Oh, then that's cool. I like that idea. Get us out of Community every time DLC launches. ;-)

Sure, I wanna see if I am up to the challenge!

hopefully my E-Adapter will arrive before the season begins.

edit: saw S3 bracket 2, is pure love, totally wanna play against everybody there

I wanna participate but I don't have a partner, and Phantom and Cure just teamed up lol
so CRQ, if someone joins in and is in need of partner they can team up with me
Great!

That makes much more sense!

Yeah, it's my bad habit. Can you private message me with some advices that I need to help myself to get better. That's why I'm going to skip next Ranbats because I really need to work on my skills and habits. I didn't really get a lot of chance to improve myself.

I would love to but I can't play anymore right now but later this week, I would be definitely up for it. It applied to everyone here.
Don't skip season to get better. Play seasons to get better! I play the ranbats to force myself to practice now and then because I work 60 hours a week, go to school, and now I have a pregnant wife. If I don't force myself to play, I'll decay over time.

Teachers correct homework, people. :p

If we can test our connection tomorrow, then I'll team with you.
Pfft, I don't grade homework. That's a waste of my time. Here's what I do:
1) Every day, I assign homework.
2) The next day, the answer key for that homework is posted on the board.
3) Students grade themselves, and write their score down on a spreadsheet.
4) When we have our next test, I randomly collect 2-3 assignments from everyone as an "honesty check" (work must be shown). If you don't have the assignment, I change all of your homework scores to "0" because I assume you're a liar, and you get to redo all of them. :-D

The only thing I grade is tests every 3-4 weeks. I also give 2 quizzes a week, and a complex word problem, to gauge student progress throughout the chapter.

Ricky 7

Some basic differences (I main Sonic, but don't care about competitive Smash, so some things might be missing/wrong):
  • You can hold a sideB charge while hopping around for mindgames (you won't damage opponents wile jumping)
  • You can cancel a sideB that isn't fully charged by shielding (again, mindgames and abruptly stopping while running)
  • DownB is the easiest to spinshot with, which is an advanced technique which lets you cover LOTS of horizontal distance as long as you haven't used your second jump (to do it, initiate down B and hold down on the analog stick without pressing B anymore, then flick the C-stick upwards)
  • DownB can be charged a lot faster, since it depends on how fast you can mash B while holding down

And finally, a word of advice: sometimes when you have used your second jump up and initiate a spin dash in midair, there are cases where you don't get your second jump back despite landing.
Thanks for the explanation.

SoldnerKei

Teachers have homework? :O

Hell, I'll team with you if you want so we can settle that.

Edit: Or Beef can team with you, that can definitely work too. :)

Teachers correct homework, people. :p

If we can test our connection tomorrow, then I'll team with you.

neat! I can team up with either of you guys, let's check our connection and let's see how good it does, just let me know when you are available tomorrow.

Top Bottom