• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I wouldn't really call control issues a minor flaw when it literally rendered the game impossible for some. Sure it's relative but when lots of people have issues with the controls, it's a problem and really the biggest one with the game.

Personally, the controls almost immediately clicked for me and I never once got hand cramps, nor did did I feel like I was doing badly in game because of them. On an OG 3DS. I must have tiny hands, lol. I'm glad they weren't a problem for me because they would have prevented me from playing one of Nintendo's best games ever ;)

Yeah, I didn't have any issue with the controls either and got used to them rather quickly. I know a lot of people had trouble with them, but I can't figure out how... and I'm a lefty, so if anyone should've had trouble, it's me! Either way, I'm not sure I'm prepared to call them a major flaw when they were such a non-issue for me. I can see why others would call them such if they had that much trouble, though.

Something fun and functional if we're lucky.

Will the Sakurai defense force defend the lack of online for Smash Run? And tell us because we have never made a game that we have no right to criticize?

Criticizing is one thing; saying you can make a better game than Sakurai if you can beat him in Smash is quite another. That's what that dude got so (deservedly) owned by Sakurai and laughed out of the room for.

Most people, even this mythical "Sakurai defense force," have not defended Smash Run's lack of online play or Smash Run in general. There are a lot of good ideas in Smash Run; they just didn't gel together quite as nicely as they could or should have for various reasons.

None of that changes the fact that Sakurai is one of the greatest game designers of our time. No one's infallible. Despite Smash Run, there's not a single other person I'd trust the Smash series with.

Durden77

I still don't even understand GSP. I'd kind of like to though, can anyone explain it to me?

I really hope Ganondorf gets posted tonight, want to see him in HD. Love that Sakurai acknowledges that he's godlike at HRC.

Azure J

Oh goodie a 3ds pic, my favorite.

Totally off topic but I need to know what GAF's reaction was to that episode of Gravity Falls. I was completely destroyed from laughter. The subject matter was one thing but the character design for that chick in your avatar just made it top notch. The old school ribbon cables for PCs... :lol :lol :lol

Loco4Coco

Totally off topic but I need to know what GAF's reaction was to that episode of Gravity Falls. I was completely destroyed from laughter. The subject matter was one thing but the character design for that chick in your avatar just made it top notch. The old school ribbon cables for PCs... :lol :lol :lol

Best episode of that show so far. Giffany for Smash.

Caladrius

I still don't even understand GSP. I'd kind of like to though, can anyone explain it to me?.

The GSP is the number of people you outscore at a particular aspect of the game with a particular character. Say, I have a Trrophy Rush GSP score of 1,000,000 with Bowser. That means I got a better score than 1,000,000 other players using that character (keep in mind not all of the players I outrank have actually used that character in the mode yet.)

The GSP is the number of people you outscore at a particular aspect of the game with a particular character. Say, I have a Trrophy Rush GSP score of 1,000,000 with Bowser. That means I got a better score than 1,000,000 other players using that character (keep in mind not all of the players I outrank have actually used that character in the mode yet.)

actually I think it just takes your highest score of any character, so whether or not they used Bowser specifically is irrelevant

(....I think)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
yeah my HRC top is Ganondorf too.

old manondorf is really good with batting, he should just quit his evil ambitions and join the league

Durden77

It may differ per mode, but in at least some I've seen different GSP per character.

Ahh so it goes up instead of down. That's cool, but considering the character confusion among other things...

Ah.

...They should have explained it better.

Indeed.

KHlover

Banned
Best episode of that show so far. Giffany for Smash.
Other Gravity Falls fans on Neogaf?
b5790d0d8fef1ae16861ad255cdc2091.jpg

Also, "Soos and the real Girl" can't be the best Gravity Falls episode by virtue of not having a joke about Dipper's Internet history in it. Most my friends and me ever laughed in Gravity Falls :p

EDIT: Why is this .jpg file actually a gif? Sorry for that shitty tumblr-quality gif.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yesterday I accidentally knocked the sandbag off the ledge and got 4m.

This gave me a GSP of 50k+. What in the blazes? You're telling me there are over fifty thousand people in the world who hit the bag less than 50m and gave up. That is shocking.

But my high is Yoshi with 1544.6 ft/
GSP. How can the old school Yoshi method be bad

edit: Just updated my GSP it's now

Richie

Yesterday I accidentally knocked the sandbag off the ledge and got 4m.

This gave me a GSP of 50k+. What in the blazes? You're telling me there are over fifty thousand people in the world who hit the bag less than 50m and gave up. That is shocking.

It also takes into account players who haven't even tried the mode with that specific character.

But your idea is far funnier.

Richie

These are fake. I thought some of you might enjoy it so I figured I'd share it anyways lol.
SUsMOjT.jpg

Heh, this is pretty neat...Actually, it's something curious to think about. The Yellow Devil has so far been accused of being too obtrusive, a complaint that'd carry over to any other boss the Wii U version were to have...But thinking of it, I'd love a Boss Rush mode where most of the multiplayer stages had a different boss to play against...You beat it? Right into the next one. In which case, I'd actually embrace an idea like this to become real. Yeah, would be cool...

Masked Man

I said wow
Perhaps the next batch of hidden character profiles are supposed to go up either tonight or Monday?

Famitsu detailed the unlock methods for Falco, Wario, Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, R.O.B., and Ganondorf, so it's only a matter of time until the last two go up on the website as well.

Masked Man

I said wow
What are the unlock methods if you don't mind me asking?

Falco: Play 20 VS matches /or/ beat Classic without using a continue
Wario: Play 30 VS matches /or/ beat 100-Man Smash
Lucina: Play 40 VS matches /or/ beat Classic as Marth without using a continue
Dark Pit: Play 50 VS matches /or/ beat Classic with three characters
Dr. Mario: Play 60 VS matches /or/ beat Classic as Mario on 4.0 or higher without using a continue
R.O.B.: Play 70 VS matches /or/ play a VS match after collecting 200 trophies
Ganondorf: Play 80 VS matches /or/ beat Classic as Link on 5.0 or higher without using a continue

Spinluck

Zelda's phantom always misses.

:lol

Criticizing is one thing; saying you can make a better game than Sakurai if you can beat him in Smash is quite another. That's what that dude got so (deservedly) owned by Sakurai and laughed out of the room for.

Most people, even this mythical "Sakurai defense force," have not defended Smash Run's lack of online play or Smash Run in general. There are a lot of good ideas in Smash Run; they just didn't gel together quite as nicely as they could or should have for various reasons.

None of that changes the fact that Sakurai is one of the greatest game designers of our time. No one's infallible. Despite Smash Run, there's not a single other person I'd trust the Smash series with.

I like Sakurai. He's one of my favorite game designers (repeating this for the 1000th time). With that, there are times where I just do not understand his logic on certain decisions. One thing that some of the fanbase likes to do is use Masahiro Sakurai's pedigree as a game designer to shoot down an argument. It is annoying, because it steers into "I'm right, you're wrong" territory. That's never fun for discussion. By the way the Smash Run having no online thing was just an exaggeration of the truth. I do not recall anyone defending it, I was just saying it was a matter of time.

That was a pretty bad week for pic of the days. We're never going to escape 3DS version purgatory, are we?

I wonder when the heck that Great Cave Offensive picture is going to be shown.

Off-topic:

Other Gravity Falls fans on Neogaf?
b5790d0d8fef1ae16861ad255cdc2091.jpg

Also, "Soos and the real Girl" can't be the best Gravity Falls episode by virtue of not having a joke about Dipper's Internet history in it. Most my friends and me ever laughed in Gravity Falls :p

EDIT: Why is this .jpg file actually a gif? Sorry for that shitty tumblr-quality gif.

There's a Gravity Falls OT in Off-Topic. You can join the rest of us.

Famitsu detailed the unlock methods for Falco, Wario, Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, R.O.B., and Ganondorf, so it's only a matter of time until the last two go up on the website as well.

Curious omission of Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt. I bet they have proper new comer reveals coming.

lol poor Dark Pit. Being treated like some random vet or throw away new comer.

Platy

Falco: Play 20 VS matches /or/ beat Classic without using a continue
Wario: Play 30 VS matches /or/ beat 100-Man Smash
Lucina: Play 40 VS matches /or/ beat Classic as Marth without using a continue
Dark Pit: Play 50 VS matches /or/ beat Classic with three characters
Dr. Mario: Play 60 VS matches /or/ beat Classic as Mario on 4.0 or higher without using a continue
R.O.B.: Play 70 VS matches /or/ play a VS match after collecting 200 trophies
Ganondorf: Play 80 VS matches /or/ beat Classic as Link on 5.0 or higher without using a continue

Yesterday I unlocked Lucina without beating classic as Marth ... I was playign smash run =/

My life is a failure =/

Only rob left !

Berordn

Lucina got a big part of a trailer and a lot of fanfare as a new comer. Dark Pit will be lucky if they even fix his page to mention he's a new comer.

Lucina's role in the trailer was kind of a throwaway bit and they might've already had the whole thing planned out before it was decided to promote her to full clone and they just added in her "joins the battle" splash after the fact. On the website she's given a similar amount of fanfare as Dark Pit, only a small tile... it isn't dissimilar from Dark Pit's role in Palutena's trailer. The two were probably planned as alts before getting pushed up to clone status.

Lucina's role in the trailer was kind of a throwaway bit and they might've already had the whole thing planned out before it was decided to promote her to full clone and they just added in her "joins the battle" splash after the fact. On the website she's given a similar amount of fanfare as Dark Pit, only a small tile... it isn't dissimilar from Dark Pit's role in Palutena's trailer. The two were probably planned as alts before getting pushed up to clone status.

Everyone has a small tile on the site now, Dark Pit had no chance for a larger tile. Lucina also had a full sized tile on the mobile version for some reason.

We know the two of them were planned as alts.

Just kind of funny that he's a new comer with no fanfare or attention or anything. Not even a post of the day mention. He's probably the only new comer to be treated like this, assuming BJr and Duck Hunt get some kind of trailer.

Masked Man

I said wow
Yesterday I unlocked Lucina without beating classic as Marth ... I was playign smash run =/

My life is a failure =/

Only rob left !

Hm... Well, I'm pretty sure the Smash Run final battles count as VS matches, so there's a good chance that was your fortieth!

I figured the "Retro" character is save from judging about future games.
Ness was the retro pick for N64
Game and Watch was for GC
R.O.B. was for Wii
Duck Hunt is for Wii U/3DS

at the time of 64 release Ness was only 4 years old!
Smash 64 didn't have any retro characters

At the time, Metroid and F-ZERO were just as "retro" as Mother.

FUCK zero suit samus and her up b and down b

Ok :)

There's literally a character named Robot :p

159.gif

Remember the discussion about 8 players?

VaanRose noticed that there are enough space for 8 characters.

tumblr_nd765lC0uu1tomr1bo1_500.png

Someone decided to add icons to the selection screen. (It's fake but just providing the point)

BJzgtAT.png

8-player FFA on Hanenbow!

So apparently Pit and Dark Pit do their eyeliner differently.

tumblr_inline_nd6d0nMcNu1r17aah.png

tumblr_inline_nd6czsmXFS1r17aah.png

I'm now completely fine with his inclusion; he's practically a unique character.

Man-hours and costs, yo.

I really hope Ganondorf gets posted tonight, want to see him in HD. Love that Sakurai acknowledges that he's godlike at HRC.

No pic Saturday.

Just kind of funny that he's a new comer with no fanfare or attention or anything. Not even a post of the day mention. He's probably the only new comer to be treated like this, assuming BJr and Duck Hunt get some kind of trailer.

He did have a cameo in a trailer.

-Horizon-

zlCfzShurgEscaFg6S

Pic of the day. Unfortunately, I've been too busy working on developing the Wii U version that I haven't had a chance to play Home-Run Contest with my Global Smash Power turned on. So fighters, with the game now released worldwide, how are you faring with your home-run distance and Global Smash Power? I wonder if Ganondorf gives you some advantage.

Sakurai, you're tired, go to sleep.

I do. I want as many characters as possible. I don't care if they have the same moveset as already existing characters. Bring on the clones!

Anywayz: I've been thinking on it, and I am going to make a bold prediction on DLC. So here are my crazy oppinions on DLC:

1: Metal Face (I feel like theres not gonna be something exclusive like a boss in a stage shared between both versions. So he's playable, or not in the WiiU game in the Xenoblade stage. It seems stupid to think so when everything between the versions is equal so far.)

2: Simon Belmont. (All the VC games lately are setting off my "Really Feeling It" alarms. Alot of vc games were released when Mega Man and Pac-Man got announced.)

3: Snake. (I mean if Konami is on then obviously Snake will be back.)

4: Captain Toad. (Do I really need to say why? Being pushed very heavily, was very popular when SM3DW was released, and considering how quickly its comng after SM3DW the game seems like it may have been in development before it came out.)

5: Rayman. (I call BS on random third party trophy. And no, just because Nintendo published it in a country doesn't stop it from being third party or else t would be exclusive.)

6: Another Pokemon (Not 100% if it would even be Mewtwo.)

And I predict 12 DLC characters total. I give no fucks how wrong I am on these. We shall see. Speculation is fun.
Unless there are no DLC then we all lose the speculation wars. D:

Remember this post when I get all of these right. (lol)

You misunderstand me.

I want them, I just can't believe they're more than 'alts'.

Rather, I wish they cannibalized the huge customization features which I believe no one is seriously going to use for very long, and used custom moves, to create a variety of alts for each character.. Dr. Mario and Dark Pit included.

How awesome would that have been?

It saddens me that Nintendon't what Project M. fans DO.

You misunderstand me.

I want them, I just can't believe they're more than 'alts'.

Rather, I wish they cannibalized the huge customization features which I believe no one is seriously going to use for very long, and used custom moves, to create a variety of alts for each character.. Dr. Mario and Dark Pit included.

How awesome would that have been?

It saddens me that Nintendon't what Project M. fans DO.

Basically, we could have had 3 unique characters with similar basic attacks instead of 1 Palutena.

Split Palutena's specials between Palutena, Viridi, and Hades. Boom done

I would actually kind of like that

Granted, they would have had to come up with unique models and at least a few unique animations to give those characters "character." And record some more audio. Perhaps those things take up more time than making Dark Pit and Dr. Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom